Walmart / $10 loaf of bread

FM1960, Atascocita, TX, United States Review updated:

I was lucky, maybe you weren't. If you bought a $2.08 loaf of Sunbeam TexToast bread from Walmart on or around 4/24/12, you may have been charged $10.00 for it.

Busy loading the counter and refilling my cart after the cashier scanned them, I didn't notice until I had made it to my car. I glanced at my receipt and noticed the last item on my receipt, $10 for a loaf of bread.

Back inside...waiting in line at customer service, and waiting some more. All they could say is 'wow'. They refunded the $10 back to my original card and I had to wait to the side while someone went to look. After waiting, and waiting some more, they returned with the $2.08 price.Then I had to go to a different line to pay for it. NOTHING was done (no "sorry", NOTHING). They should of at least just gave me the bread or something to show their thanks. If the Texas Department of Weights & Measures had discovered it, they could be fined up to $10, 000 (that's TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS) per occurence. I wonder how many people were charged that haven't figured it out.

"Save money, live better"? Well, $10 for bread isn't saving money and having to go through the TERRIBLE experience to get my money back REALLY ISN'T LIVING BETTER either is it?

Think about it...the LARGEST RETAILER IN THE WORLD can't even get pricing right on a loaf of bread...what else are they messing up on?

Comments

• Br
      25th of Apr, 2012

SOMETHING was done. They corrected the mistake and refunded you.

• Th
      25th of Apr, 2012

"If the Texas Department of Weights & Measures had discovered it, they could be fined up to $10, 000"

So it is illegal in Texas for a business to set their own prices on bread? I doubt it. They clearly mispriced it, but even if it was intentional, what's so illegal about it?

• Ds
      25th of Apr, 2012

I think the OP is saying, if the price listed is different than the price it rings up as. It is illegal. I don't think that law that the OP cited is the correct law for mispriced items. In Canada. We have Canadian Code of Practice Scanner Price Accuracy Policy.

1. THE ITEM FREE SCANNER POLICY
    Retailers will implement an Item Free Scanner Policy as follows:
    1.1 On a claim being presented by the customer, where the scanned price of a product at checkout is higher than the price displayed in the store or than advertised by the store, the lower price will be honoured; and

(a) if the correct price of the product is $10 or less, the retailer will give the product to the customer free of charge; or
    (b) if the correct price of the product is higher than $10, the retailer will give the customer a discount of $10 off the corrected price.

1.2 Where the same error recurs in scanning multiple units of a given product during a given transaction, the retailer will correct the scanning error in respect of each unit of the given product purchased, but is obliged to apply the policy set out in 1.1 (a) and (b) in respect of only one of the units.

1.3 Paragraph 1.1 only applies after the final sale price of the purchased item has been displayed at the checkout, including relevant rebate, discount or promotional coupons.

1.4 To be eligible for the Item Free Scanner Policy, the product must match the product description on the corresponding shelf tag.

1.5 The Item Free Scanner Policy does not apply if the barcode or shelf label for a given product has been tampered with.

1.6 The Item Free Scanner Policy does not apply to a product where, in respect of that product, the law:

(a) establishes a minimum price (or specified price); or
    (b) does not permit the retailer to offer a discount or a rebate.