Walgreens Pharmacy / would not fill a refill

This is the second time this has happened in the last 6 months.

Tonight I tried to pick my class 3 controlled substance 2 days early. It's a refill. Insurance would not pay until tomorrow which was only 3 hours away. I asked if they would run it on my secondary insurance since I was there and picking up another script they told me no. So I said I would pay cash, again they told me no. The pharmacist at walgreens said I had to wait exactly 15 days from date of the last refill. It's a 15 day script.

Now they have put a flag in the computer saying they will have to call my doctor to get my refill. I'm sick of being treated like a criminal when I go in to pick my controlled substance up.

Because of this I have decided i'm going to transfer all off my scripts (8) to a local pharmacy.
Bottom line I'm fed up with getting looks and comments from the pharmacist and staff when I go to walgreens for my pain medicine.

Th

Comments

• Bi
      31st of Aug, 2009

"I'm sick of being treated like a criminal when I go in to pick my controlled substance up."

CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE. Not, "Get another refill whenever the hell I feel like it" substance. Walgreens is a business first and foremost. They would have sold you your drugs if not bound by law. I hope your doctor subscribes something for your rampant paranoia.

10th of Dec, 2009

Walgreens may be a business, but the pharmacists who work there like to flex their power. I have had numerous experiences where the Walgreens pharmacy would not fill my prescription, even though my doctor either wrote me the script or called it in. The last experience I was told it was a refill too soon. When I pointed out that it wasn't a refill (state law does not allow more than 30 day supply), it was a medicine that MY doctor prescribes me once a month. The pharmacist than told me it that my insurance wouldn't cover it, I replied that I would pay cash. She then said it was at her discretion to fill the prescription and she wasn't going to fill it. Not all pharmacists are lazy or so disappointed with their lives they have to exert power by withholding medication, Walgreens does seem to attract quite a few of them.

• Bl
      21st of Nov, 2010

Binder has once again proven the theorem I+A=D. Internet+Anonymous=[censor]

• Rd
      20th of Apr, 2013

Walgreens treats people who have prescriptions for any controlled medication, like they're a drug addict...don't do any business with them...ever! They are a bunch of incompetent liars! I hate Walgreen pharmacists!

28th of Apr, 2013

I've had the same experience, Walgreens in St. Paul MN at Randolf loves to police patient medications in reckless disregard for the well being of the patient and intentions of the prescribing doctor.

• He
      28th of Apr, 2013

Don't blame Walgreens, blame the government and the strict laws governing medications...and the junkies who made the laws a must

• Xr
      27th of May, 2016

I had the same problem with Walgreens for my Ambien. It last 30 days, sometimes I have to be there on the 29th day to get another blood pressure script and I ask if I can also pick it up. They always say no and that its exactly 30 days. The government does not require this as there is a 7 day rule per prescription written. Its not the Gov't as I work here, its walgreens. PS I am transferring to another pharmacy after this that is no associated with walgreens. I spoke to another pharmacist at a competitor who said they are being hard to deal with and people just will go elsewhere

18th of Jan, 2017

@xro You're exactly right, Walgreens makes their own internal laws that are more stringent than state or federal law. The fact is that Walgreen's doesn't care about the patient; they care about covering their rear ends at the expense of the patient. Ultimately, Walgreen's is accountable first and foremost to their shareholders. Patients typically come in last in terms of priority. Walgreen's should be fighting for patients against the DEA, not cowardly bowing down by issuing secretive internal policies that make access to medications even more difficult. The executive team at Walgreen's corporate are simply cowards who refuse to allocate any legal resources to ongoing protection of patients. Instead, they have taken on the role of the drug store police. There are thousands of complaints against Walgreen's and they do absolutely nothing. Way to go Walgreen's! You officially suck!

18th of Jan, 2017

I agree with the complaint against Walgreen's