Verizon / International Long Distance Plan / lack of disclosure of international long distance plan

When I ordered a new residential phone service with Verizon back in March 2007, I chose the "I don't wish to add a Verizon international calling plan" option. I was under the impression that no international phone calls can be made with this option.

That was a $412.49 mistake. A relative made international phone calls in May 2007 without my knowledge. Verizon is charging me $412.49 for 81 minutes of phone call to Taiwan. My beef is that when I chose the "I don't wish to add a Verizon international calling plan" option, there was no further information (not even fine print) on what this option entails... not to mention the incredible $5/minute call rate.

3 phone call attempts with Verizon only resulted in their offer to take off 25%. I refused & decided to take this up to the FCC, BBB, and FTC.

Comments

• Sh
      21st of Aug, 2007

I am having the same issue with Verizon for calls inadvertently made by a visitor. I was not even aware that international calls could be accessed from my line. Who do I speak to in order to get the ridiculous $5 per minute charge reduced? It is useless trying to resolve via Verizon customer service agents, they just give a standard scripted response. What a scam!

• Vi
      21st of Jan, 2009

I had the same result but with a different path. I was billed $10 per minute for 2 international calls when I signed up for a bundled package. I was told by customer service that it came with the international plan. I have lodged a complaint with BBB. What other venues are available to protest this blatant scam?

• Pi
      21st of Jan, 2009

Same thing happened to me. A 29 minute call to my girlfriend in the Czech Republic cost me $150. Four calls to Verizon and no satisfaction. I compare it filling up your gas tank, afterwards, the service station attendant tells you "It's $100 a gallon.". The problem with the policy is there is no disclosure. It's a customer booby trap.

• Li
      9th of Jul, 2009

Booby trap? No kidding. We have international calling plans on two of our Verizon cell phones. Our daughter, who lives in Japan, made a call on a recent visit home to her boyfriend in Japan from our landline (no international plan on that line) which resulted in a charge for $340. I spoke to four verizon representatives who said they would make no adjustment because I had no plan on that line. I agreed, but asked them to give me a break because we have been a total Verizon household for years and years and were already paying for two international plans already. Obviously, they don't believe in keeping loyal customers happy. What an outrage and a ripoff. They basically told me to go complain to the PUC. Thanks for nothing, I said, and hung up. Does anyone know if there is a better way to deal with this scam? Thanks. Liz