University of Phoenix / fraud and scam!

1 3157 E. Elwood StreetPhoenix, AZ, United States Review updated:
Phone: 800-3669699

I took one class from UOP, then had to withdraw due to my job. I was putting in way to many hours at work to handle even one class. I was asked to rejoin by one their representatives 6 months later. I tried again, but due to my project load I had to withdraw. UOP did all of the financing for the classes.

In the end, they said I owed 376 dollars, and I had 4k in loans. I said there was no way. I protested this amount since day one. I called them on several occasions about the balance, and they said it was correct. I protested this through the credit bureau numerous times. They ended up charging off the balance, and making my credit even worse than it was.

I admit I didn't have perfect credit, but this probably cost me thousands in interest. Not only that, but I was paying interest on the full amount they received from the government. After 3 years of payments, they sent back 2419 dollars to the government saying that there was a mistake they found during an audit.

When I contacted UOP about this, they said that I was lucky they even did an audit, and I was still responsible for the interest since I was still enrolled. I said I withdrew, and haven't taken a class in over 3 years. The bean counter said I still had a web page.

I said so that entitles you to keep money that isn't yours, and he replied well in fact it does. I said so there is nothing you are going to do, and he replied no we do not have to, and by the way you still owe us 276 dollars? What do I do? I doubt hiring a lawyer would be cost effective.

Va

Comments

Ma
  23rd of Apr, 2009

Can anyone recommend a lawyer who has file suits against UOP? Our class composed of four people was charged with plagiarism. As a class we submitted a faculty complains with over 20 pages of documentation. To our dismay the University investigation found our class a whole guilty. The investigation is bias and one sided not taking into account the class concerns. Now we need professional legal assistance. please contact me at mv_mere@yahoo.com

Ri
  19th of Jun, 2009

Good luck to you Marco, don't give up...

Tr
  17th of Nov, 2009

I was contacted las Friday by my finandcial advisor to tell me that I had insufficient financial aid, and I owe UoP $1225, which must be paid before I can resume classes. I was appalled since they have an advisor for everything, and I am the student dependent on their knowledge and expertise.
I was talked to and treated disrespectfully, condescendengly, and made to feel like I was less than a worm. The complaints I have read are very discouraging; however, I am not going to give up. I am going to register complaints against UoP to anyone that will listen. I will go to the press, CNN, and maybe even Fox. I am mad as hell, and I am not going to take it! Remember, there is power in numbers; that's why they (UoP) can get away with all of this horrible stuff. Stand together; go to the press; register complaints with BBB, and the U.S. Board of Education. If enough people speak, they will have to listen.

FEED BACK IS WELCOMED!