University of Phoenix / scam and cheating!

333 N. Rancho DriveLas Vegas, NV, United States Review updated:
4.45
You can pick up an Official Withdrawl Form at axiafaw.phoenix.edu, you must be enrolled to get this form. Trust me, no one wants you to find it and you will search and ask over and over again before someone gives you the link! If you are like me and you are in your first week and red flags are going off all over the place telling you to get the hell out of there... DO IT. I just paid $500+ dollars for eight days which consisted of about twenty emails to other students, four responses from BOTH my Instructors and six homework assignments!!! You will pay for each week you are in attendance that you do not get out! Get the form and fax it ASAP to the fax number your Financial Advisor gave you in their Welcome email. Follow up, cancel your loan agreements directly with the lender and DO NOT WAIT.

This is the biggest scam in the USA in my opinion. You will pay and pay and pay if you stay. The education is YOU teaching YOURSELF, and the Instructors don't answer your questions in a timely manner. In AXIA you will you will notice right off that many of the students (not all) cannot spell and know nothing about grammar. (Even the course material has misspellings and grammatical errors.) It is hard to believe that some of these people graduated from High School. I was an A Student in High School and I took a year of College at the Community College with a 4.0 GPA. There are no entrance requirements in AXIA and I was told by my enrollment counselor that those people are graded on IMPROVEMENT???

I called a top notch college and asked if their credits transfer in, I was told that they do because the school is Regionaly Acredited, but if you have taken classes that do not apply to another schools degree program... you are wasting your time and precious money. The truths IS you need a school that is NATIONALLY and Regionally and there is a difference. Even a very good school's Career Development Program will tell you that many employers DO NOT WANT UOP grads! Call around and ASK, I did! These enrollment counselors are slick and they are paid by their enrollment numbers. I refuse to even talk to my counselor because he is dogging me to stay! $520.00 for ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

RUN RUN RUN WHILE YOU CAN. SOMETHING IS VERY VERY WRONG WITH THIS SCHOOL. I have spent an entire day trying to get someone to acknowledge that I am WITHDRAWN. And... DO NOT go to class and get logged in by the computer if you are wanting out, you will PAY for that too!

Tell everyone you know to stay away from this school!!! I am just trying to keep someone else from the same thing. They will delay and delay and delay in telling you where to get the form so you will have to pay more. Get out while you can.
Va

Comments

De
  19th of Jan, 2008
Today I am writing complaint the University of Phoenix want be advise to anyone about this school before you are enrolling with them. My big mistake I request information about this school online, I am full time working, I have no time for school so I decided take online class, so I went online and did not do any research about University of Phoenix, so I requested information. I live in Minnesota, one of counselor call me. His name MatthewSpoden, seem like he very nice guy, call me everyday at work, my cell, until I enrolled the class, so I enrolled online class, I go into online class room, any teacher told me or anyone has post message in the forum, honestly, I don't know what the heck are they teaching, I am Vietnamese and I am planing take AS Information Technology, hope when I finish the school I will have bright future, yeah right, I am so busy with working I did not have time post a message with not relate to what should I study, Mr. Matthew Spoden call me Monday, Tuesday of the first week, and tell me I have post message, day of third online class he did not call me, so a week has pass, I decide drop out cause if I continuous not work for me and I have no idea what are they teaching. Guess what, I received the bill for $524.00 only attend 1 week, also I received second statement $304.00, make me confuse, so I contact Financial Aid Office, all I got transfer me around enrollment office until I speak up I drop out the class not new student and the representative said. Oh!!! So could not get hold of the Financial Aid person, I don't paid the bill yet cause I request them copy of how much reward I have been approve for the FAFSA, they don't sent me nothing and planing put me on collection, so I received two page letter from Financial Aid Office and she said I must responsible for 25% tuition cost when I attended 1st week of the class and posted message in the class rom. So I totally understand now why the counselor nice call me posting message everyday for two of first day of the week . So my finally advise to anyone, before you are planning register this school, be careful and think twice before you do it, I research online and a lot people complaint with this school, here my advise:

READ THE SCHOOL POLICY BEFORE YOU ARE ENROLLMENT. ASK YOU COUNSELOR HOW MUCH YOU ARE APPROVE FOR THE FINANCIAL AID. THE BALANCE REMAINED THEY HAVE TO SEND BACK TO YOU.

ASK ABOUT CANCELLATION POLICY.

TAKE MORE TIME RESEARCH THE SCHOOL, ONLINE CLASS OR CAMPUS GOOD FOR YOU.

I DON'T THINK THIS SCHOOL WILL HELP OUT PEOPLE INSTEAD TRY TAKE MONEY FROM STUDENT.

BE CAREFUL UNIVERSITY OF PHOENIX.
Mi
  5th of Feb, 2008
Totally disagree. Must nothave paid attention to the enrollment counselor. They explain everything in detail.
Lg
  2nd of Apr, 2008
These people are a joke! Signed up for online classes. They didn't bother to tell me that I had to go to an actual class room once a month. The classroom was over an hour away. Now they are charging me for a class never taken. Never even logged into class.

Since I have no choice, I am paying the bill, however, not only is the school persuing me, but they have a collection agency persuing me, too. Talked to a nice lady at the collection agency and told her that I have been making payments directly to the school and she said that she didn't know why the school hired them, but that she would note the account and take care of it. So far no more calls from collection agency. Also, calls from UOP have stopped, too (knock on wood)...
Tr
  28th of Aug, 2008
I agree with you. They try to scam everyone they can to get the money they want. I got scammed as well and do plan on seeking an attorney and let all their stuff bare.
Li
  10th of Sep, 2008
I was just about to sign up. Now I am hesitant. I applied online and got a pin number and was just about to go to the financial aid site when I saw your complaint. I am an older student and partially disabled - that is why I wanted to attend school via the internet. Are there any other options? Thank you. Linda
Me
  25th of Oct, 2008
I completely disagree. My enrollment ccounselor explained everything in extensive detail to me regarding UOP's policies. You even admitted to not doing any research before applying with them. And I would also like to add, if you want to be taken seriously by posting a complaint on here, please check your grammar and spelling before you post. I could barely understand what you were saying.
Ji
  3rd of Dec, 2008
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I am an MBA student with UOP. My company sent me there. Keep in mind that the school is designed for working adults with an education model geared to working adults. They teach application over theory. You are not buying a degree. What you are doing is taking concepts and relating them to real world scenarios. It seems that the degree may be 'bought' because there are no test involved. What is actually being taught are the skills necessary to be productive in the workforce and advance your career. Companies are addressing skills gaps within their workforce. Companies are trying to do more with less. How do they do this? They need individuals trained to have better communication skills, collaboration abilities, critical thinking and problem solving, information utilization, and adaptability and agility. The university's adult learning model addresses all of these skills gaps. Many companies (and students) don't understand what is being taught and how it relates to their jobs. If you want to be a future leader (the future is approaching quickly - baby boomers are retiring and many jobs will be available), UOP will give you the skills you need. You'll never take away the hard work I've put into my degree. I'll fight you all day if you try!
Nu
  13th of Feb, 2009
Maybee if you kuld rite a cognitive centence or two, it wuld make cents. Dumbass.
Ks
  8th of May, 2009
I think you commenters are EXTREMELY rude and arrogant. This person speaks English as a second language and your responses are completely uncalled for. How would you feel if you went to school in another country that used a native language that was different from your own and were made fun of and called a dumbass? Then again, this doesn't surprise me... I have noticed that UoP people seem very ignorant, so your bigotry comes as no surprise to me.
Da
  20th of May, 2009
My experience with UOP online is nearly the same. I have been charged for tuition and fees for a refund that was male to to the student loan lender...how this resulted in a charge to my student account doesn't even make sense, i never received the funds but I am somehow personally responsible. This is obviously a major scam operation aided by Sallie Mae and ACS.
Lo
  28th of May, 2009
That made no sense Ksmith. The person in this article is complaining about a university. They did not research, they cant type or use grammar for ###. They probably have no hope in the real world. Yes, UOP is way to advanced for them, ADULT SCHOOL at your local recreation center. AWWWW I hope I didn't hurt the persons feeling, if they can dish it, they should be able to take it.

Here is my advice and I think it almost covers any issue anybody faces in collegiate studies.
~Know what YOU want from YOUR education?
~Know what your educational needs are? (flexible schedule, more hands on, etc)
~Understand your true motivation, and driving force.
~Consider some of the road blocks or obstacles that may come up, think of plans to work through them, and think which School can better adjust for it.
~Research on your own all the Financial Options that are available to students. (Pell Grants, Call Grants, Stanford Loans, Privet Loans, GI BILLS and Scholarship.) And understand the implications and benefits of each one.
~### what your education and the POSSIBILITY of a better future is really worth to you.
~Talk to your friends and family about creating a net of supporting you in the time you will be going to school.
~Make sure the school has been around for a while and is accredited.
~BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY TAKE YOUR EDUCATION IN YOUR OWN HANDS, DON'T LOOK FOR LAZY/EASY WAY OUTS, TAKE YOUR EDUCATION SERIOUS, DO REAL RESEARCH, and DO THE INTELLIGENT THING THAT ALSO FEELS RIGHT.
Lastly, do not expect there not to be unforeseen obstacles or things that happen which may seem unfair. Life is unfair, schools are not run or employed by saints/perfect people.
Good Luck
Wi
  29th of May, 2009
I'm a student at this school. I totally disagree with you. I have had a wonderful group of people keep me updated and excellant teachers. Online school is a great option for those who work full time, which I do, and have a family, which I do, and have an all around busy life. It is the same with anything in life. . . know what your getting into. I highly reccomend this school to anyone. You get what you put into it. They are helping tons of people who are unable to attend a college campus.
Tr
  26th of Aug, 2009
Logicandreason, that is a funny choice for an online id, considering...

Ksmith made perfect sense, even if the original complainant did not. Interestingly enough, you seem to believe that poor communication skills can obliterate the point being made, and yet your post is also full of errors and poor choices in language. Going through points of "advice" which are little more than thinly veiled insults to those who have a different opinion than yours, I fail to see how accomplishing these will keep a person from getting scammed. Knowing what you want from your education, needs, all of that cannot protect you from those who may be trained to prey on these very points. Doing your research will only take you so far if you don't know where to find the information or exactly what you're looking for. Life is unfair, and there are no perfect people, but I cannot imagine how that would ever be an excuse to turn a blind eye to scams or poor behavior. I'm sure that wouldn't hold a lot of water for you if you were to be taken, but, of course, you must consider yourself above that and feel that it could never happen to you. Perhaps I spoke too soon about there being no perfect people out there? In any case, it would be a wise life lesson for some of you to realize that mocking others, and resorting to foul language and put-downs can only undermine your credibility.

That's not to say that I believe the UoP is running a scam or that there is anything wrong with the school. I have no idea and am on a fact-finding mission myself. Sifting through the complaints can be difficult since finding one story with holes doesn't necessarily mean there aren't real issues to be found. Unfortunately, "you get what you put into it, " works better as a nice adage than a world-worn truth.
Sometimes you work hard and you get fools gold, instead. I hope that this isn't one of those times. I'm off to keep looking. Good luck all.
Jp
  9th of Sep, 2009
I don't know what to do either. My husband was just about to start the state college when a friend referred him to UofP and he changed at the last minute. They said the pell grant money was on the way in 3-5 days and he got full financial aid and student loan. He was doing everything right, attending and posting in the classes every time he was supposed to. He even saved the pages to show he was there because I insisted. Now the money hasn't shown up and he is being autodropped from 1 class for not showing up for a week when we have proof he was there and his posts are still up. He was so sure this was a good idea and literally on the last day possible for him to transfer his financial aid is when he did it, they were in such a hurry to get it done before the end of that day. All I think is that he could be taking classes at the University in the next town and it would all have been ok, now I am scared that we have been duped and that they will prevent him from even being able to transfer in the spring. I don't know what to do or who to contact. I'm so distraught and I'm 6 months pregnant. I feel worried that they have ruined his chance at a degree. And now we will be in debt for the classes he's in with nothing to show. If you find out what to do or who to call please email me at soulfire76@gmail.com
Ri
  3rd of Mar, 2010
I agree with the MBA Student at UOP. I have been attending UOP for the last 3 years and I am in my last semester I will be graduating with a BS in Business Management and I worked very hard for my degree. When you are in college you are supposed to be an adult so of course it is going to be a lot of learning on your own. My instructors have always answered all of my questions in a timely manner. I even had one professor call my sell phone to see if I was okay because I wasn't posting enough in class that week. I have had no problems with financial aid. Unlike my local community college where I have to leave messages with FA and no one calls me by I can always get a hold of my financial advisor and they do return phone calls. As the previous person said no one can take away the hard work I put in to receiving my degree from UOP online.

University of Phoenix [UOPX] Logo University of Phoenix [UOPX]