U-Haul / it can't be legal

They told me that I hit a tree with a 17' truck. They claim that an employee saw me hit a tree. I didn’t hit anything. They left me a message telling me this at 5:00pm right as they closed so it was too late to call them back. I called them the next morning around 9:30am on my break at work to ask them what the heck they were talking about. They aren’t talking about a full size tree, they are talking about one of those baby trees with sticks holding the, up. They told me get this "there is no damage to the truck», ok so why are they calling right? Anyways, I work for a Nursery & I know the tree they are talking about is $75.00 full retail in the store I work for. They charged my Debit Card $700.00 for a $75.00 tree BEFORE I even got a hold of them to dispute the fact that I didn’t even hit anything. Now they won’t change anything, & customer service will call me back within 48 hours, I can’t even call them, they are going to call me??? What the heck?? In the mean time I now don’t have a dime to my name because they are trying to get free money! This company needs to be taking to court over a freaking tree that I didn’t even hit. They told me there is no damage to the truck, & they have an employee say they saw me, but that’s crap, I think the employee did it & is covering there tracks. What happen to honest companies? I know this isn’t legal, it can’t be.

Va

Comments

• Jc
      15th of Mar, 2009

Subject: U-Haul Phantom Traffic Ticket/Fee?
    Comment:
    Interested in knowing if anyone else has experienced, after returning a U-haul rented moving truck back to U-haul, and after U-haul re-takes possession, later receiving notice that U-haul claims to have paid on your behalf a $25 traffic/parking ticket/citation (or any amount) with a $30 administrative fee (or any amount) and a $25 penalty (or any amount). Also you were charged an environmental fee. Basically, you know that YOU the customer did not personally receive the citation. The collection company hired by U-haul also tries to get the you to pay this alleged and disputed debt. No proof or validation of the actual citation, time, date, charges/grounds for the citation is ever produced.

• Ph
      7th of Mar, 2012

I had money taken directly from my checking account which after a month of calls I finally was told was for a toll citation. Funny thing I have a sunpass which shows the charges were taken from that. Now waiting to see of they are going to fix the issue or not it was a 30.00 charge from what I am understanding for a $3.00 ticket that I have solid proof was paid correctly.