U-Haul / unauthorized charges

On 10-30-06 I rented a 26 ft truck from U Haul in Springfield Ill to drive to Urbandlae Iowa. On The u haul in Spfld said I should return the truck to the closest store or to ANY U-Haul dealer so thats what I did. On arriving there , there was 4 other men trying to return trucks get hitches put on their cars etc. There was only one young man there who didn't seem to know what to do. The other people and myself were us set about the treatment we were receiving and everyone was upset. I told the guy I was leaving the truck in a lot next door and gave him the key since everything was ok with the truck he said OK.I had put in the same gas it had when I got it in Springfield . On receiving my credit card bill in Nov. I saw an unauthorized charge of $87.24. I did not know about it till i got the bill. I called U haul in Iowa and they said I returned the truck to the wrong store. As I said the Man In Spfld Il. told me to take it to ANY U Haul dealer. I want the charge reversed on my credit card as it was unauthorized and fraudulent. Thank You Candy enders.

Comments

• Va
      1st of Dec, 2006

I worked for uhaul, and they are the most expensive and the least reliable!

I would not rent toilet paper from them. They are really the white trash of moving truck rentals. I have worked directly with the upper mgmt of uhaul in Dallas and they do not take care of there own employees. I am surprised they are still in business. It is funny how people still shop at Walmart and Uhaul.

Stop using Walmart and Uhaul!

1st of Dec, 2006

I hate U-haul, every time you go down the road you see one broke down on the side of the road. I found out if you call Scott Fall, President of U-haul of Alabama you get a little help. Scott Fall's office number is 205-979-3015. If you get his Secretary John Bettis just tell him you want Scott, not his secretary.

1st of Feb, 2007

We rented a truck for a one-way rental and paid for it when we picked the truck up. When my husband dropped it off, it was a "hair" less gas than what we started with and the next morning, there was a $50 charge on our account.

When we called, the jerk told us it was up to Uhaul, so we called Uhaul and they handed us to yet someone else. Ultimately, they said we left it and 1/8 of a tank less, and that they could charge us $50 for that, what $5 worth of gas? Which is a lie anyway, by the way...We are filing fraud charges with our bank and we canceled our truck for 3 days from now, which would have been over a thousand bucks for them, because we are moving out of state. So, they lost a good costumer and any future customers that I may have influence on. Little do they know, I'm going to spread the word to everyone I can, both personally and publicly. It is not lible or slander because it's a fact. I cannot be sued for the truth. It helps to know people in high places and I will make sure they hurt for this!

• Da
      15th of Jun, 2008

I'm with you on this one. They charged my credit card $220.00 4 weeks after I had returned the truck for gas charges, which I provided bills for that I had filled the thing up 1/2 hour before returning it. The dick, Tim Johnson at the Kingston, Ontario store said how does he know I wasn't driving all around before returning it. Not to mention both trucks I reserved 2 months ahead of time were both days late at pick up time, and one broke down for over a day to boot. But the real kicker was when I told the Mr. Johnson I'll be coming down to his store to get my refund, he said "sure come on down and meet the boys!!"
    I got the run around from head office in Hamilton too. No one would give me their full name.

And of course, I'll have to rent just one more time and I really doubt I'll be returning their truck in one piece.

• Uh
      20th of Aug, 2008

I will admit Uhaul is by far understaffed at times but this gives noone reason to get impatient because they'd rather not wait in line and leave a truck without confirming a contract was closed out. I would never do that. Another thing...when you sign a contract stating that you will return a truck with the specific gas level and then you abandon your equipment upon return, you should expect the applicable fees. A little patience goes a long way, if you waited in line you would have had the option to go fill the gas to the correct level and the other fees could've been discussed. I would have charged the fees too. We understand moving is a stressful time, but lack of planning on your part and impatience does not constitute an emergency for us. It just hurts you in the end. We provide a service to millions of people moving across the world, daily, we can't make everyone happy. Good luck and happy renting!!

• Lu
      3rd of May, 2018

@uhaulworkertx U-HAUL is a [censored] bum company that makes a good part of it's money fraudulently overcharging customers accounts that they were intrusted with. DO NOT TRUST THIS COMPANY THEY WILL STEAL FROM YOU

• Re
      13th of Jan, 2016

I was given a ticket for allegedly riding in a bike lane, which is bull. I wrote the judge and explained my case. Stating I did nothing wrong and that the street cameras will prove this. So I'm confident it would be dismissed. Later on I check my credit card and find out that uhaul paid the 130.00 ticket without my consent. Now what can I say or fight for in court since uhaul paid my ticket? Is that even legal??

• Mr
      8th of Jul, 2017

I reserved a 26' truck 3 weeks in advance of my move. Two days before packing day, U-haul calls and says there are no 26' trucks anywhere on the Western Slope in Colorado. So they sent me 102 miles to pick up a 20' truck and when I arrived at the store, there were THREE 26' trucks in the lot. Customer service guy says "its up to Denver." Ok, so I pack my little truck as much as I can and had to leave behind my motorcycle and a few other items because they wouldnt fit. This required ANOTHER trailer rental and 600+ miles of driving. I left the 20' truck in Cheyenne on time and full of fuel and today I look and there is a $111 charge on my Visa. Charge disputed and email sent. Not impressed at all!