U-Haul International Logo

U-Haul International

Having problems with U-Haul International?

+1 800 468 4285 (Customer Service)
+1 800 528 0355 (Roadside Assistance)
+1 866 277 6855 (Moving Supplies / Online Store)
+1 800 528 0361 (Propane)
+1 866 963 0286 (Sustainability)
+1 866 323 4591 (U-Haul Car Share)
+1 800 528 6042 (Corporate Sales)
+1 800 223 6218 (Supply And Purchasing)
+1 888 886 0782 (Payments)
Phoenix, Arizona

Complaints & Reviews

service

U haul rented us a truck in the afternoon and we discovered that when you drove it on the expressway, it spit hot water at you through the heat vents. When we called Uhaul they directed us to call their garage. A guy at the garage told us it was drivable and that we needed to drive it back to them. After a much heated debate on the danger to us for driving this truck they relented. We now needed a new truck and they did not have one available. They were calling around looking when my mother called the city I live in which is Howell, Michigan to see if they had a 17 foot truck. They claimed they did so we set it up so that I could pick up the truck in Howell, no problem. When I got to Howell the big fat guy in the office told us he got some phone call about a truck but he wasn't listening to the whole thing so he had no information and would have to start from scratch. He seemed amused at our predicament and did more explaining than working. I explained that because of this truck problem we were now under a time constraint as we were paying movers by the hour who were sitting around waiting. After 20 minutes or so I told him I didn't appreciate that he knew we were coming and did not bother to even start the paper work until we got there and that was all I had to say on the subject and I turned to walk out the door. As I was walking out the fat slob yelled for me to "get out". I yelled back through the door, "you didn't throw me out ###, I left". He came charging outside to confront me. I told him I was out here not bothering him but he on the other hand was outside bothering me. Eventually, he gave us a truck and wound up giving us an smaller truck, of which, of course they charged us for the bigger truck. The consequences are it cost us $80.00 in mover's fees when they were waiting around. Uhaul put us hours behind and felt no need to hurry or make our problem with the truck minimal. They were rude and disrespectful and made us stressed and angry. I will NEVER use them again. Absolutely, horrible customer service.

Anonymousey Jun 29, 2012

I worked for this company for a short time and busted my ###, went above and beyond, got GREAT reviews from customers and co-workers, and was never once late or absent. I was trained at at sub-par level, at warp speed, and I STILL managed to get by without screwing up...that I knew of. Basically, they hired me on, didn't train me properly, and then fired me without notice because I had made mistakes I didn't know I was making. I didn't even know I didn't have a job until 2 weeks after it happened and I only found out because I went in and cornered the manager to find out why I hadn't been scheduled. This caused 2 utilities to be cut off and my children to go hungry because I didn't have time to find other employment before my bills were due. I also turned down 2 other jobs during that 2-week period that could have saved me financially.

Also, they promoted themselves during the interview by telling me about how they're the 11th best company in the country to work for part-time because of their great medical benefits. In reality, the medical benefits are crap, and the only reason they rank at that level is because they compensate by pay you peanuts for the ridiculous amounts responsibility they place upon you with little to no help from the managers. The job responsibilities DO NOT match the insulting pay. Not even close. I've been paid twice that for half the work.

Also, the managers that run the store make the schedules and they usually schedule themselves off for the high-traffic times. My managers decided to take the busiest week of the entire year off for vacation, which was 2 weeks after I was hired, and had only had 30 hours of employment under my belt. I was left alone to run the store that week with one other employee who was hired after me and was a complete idiot who screwed up so much that I don't even know how he still works there. The only reason that store wasn't run into the ground during that week is because of my extensive experience in retail, and as a manager/supervisor. I was the viewed as a "rock star" by the other employees during that time because I took on the role of manager and played damage control for the other employees who had been there longer DURING MY OFF TIME. I was sure I was on a trajectory to be promoted within 6 months. Boy was I wrong. It's clear that I was only hired to hold down the fort while the managers were on vacation because I was fired when they came back. I think everything that happened to me was completely planned by the managers and I think they seriously felt threatened by my performance, work ethic, and ability to learn the job at warp speed.

unprofessional & awful customer service

Renting wise everything was fine but customer service was awful. First we had to listen to the employee...

fraud/dishonest/out to rip people off

Uhaul can be an excellent, convenient and affordable option when it comes time to move. This in itself ca be stressful enough, do yourself a favor and choose a different Uhaul location.

The bottom line is that I was completely ripped me off. It was the owner of this location that was intentionally deceitful from my experience and from what I witnessed that is his standard operating procedure. I have rented many moving trucks in my life; of which the majority have been from many different Uhaul locations. I have never done business with a company that clearly operates with the intention of tacking on extra charges to generate more revenue wherever they can. This is obviously to the detriment of their customer. My first clue should have been when I notice that they were running new credit card authorizations against my card every other day during my 7 day rental. In the end, he only got away with charging me for an additional day for the truck, moving blankets, an dolly rental fees. He was able to keep this because my truck was logged-in as being returned 15 minutes late. At least 5 minutes of that time was spent waiting for him to make the time to check the truck back in. In addition he attempted charge me for additional gas, claiming that when I picked up the truck it had more gas than he had indicated on my original paperwork, a cleaning fee, he tried to claim damage that he knew existed prior to my renting the vehicle, and the offenses go on.

Thankfully, I was able to successfully dispute the other erroneous charges he trie to tack on to my bill. His reason was that the

This is the poorest run store and people I've ever dealt with

Last week on the30th of April we call uhaul on williamson road, lady said sure we got trucks, So Sat. the 1st of may we line friends and family up go to uhaul and do paper work, after all is done lady said see you tommorrow!! What no we need it today we said! Sorry we don't have any trucks! Ok we ask can we resevre a truck for next Sat. the 8th of may?? Sure toke our card said be waiting on you when you get here she told us!! So we line everybody up and I had to pay extra money to my old landlord because we had to leave stuff there!! So we get there this morning to get truck and lady (Britty Jessee) said sorry I don't have a truck for you all, buy there is one at the Salem turnpike store waiting on you, so I call my friends tell them I am going to be late please wait!! We ride all the way across town only for that man to say" I am not giving you my truck, she over book that's her promblem" We sat there a hour looking at this truck begging this man to let us use it, he just said no!! Now I have to pay for another week for my stuff to set there, when I book a truck 7 day's in advance, plus all my help has other thing's to do. They didn't even call us!! This is the poorest run store and people I've ever dealt with!

• Az
    AZStucald Apr 06, 2012

TMobile is s terrible company, they do not have support, they have some lilttle conference room where you ask a questions and other customers try to help you out. I have been with them for years but can't wait until my contract is done so I can forget I ever had anything to do with them.

unreliable, lousy service

I was very disappointed with the way my reservation was handled. We reserved almost a month in advance and were told the day before the move that equipment was unavailable because the "reservation was pulled." We were depending on this company and they let us down. As a result, we have found another company and want to warn others about this incident with u-haul so that they can choose a different service as well. DO NOT DEPEND ON UHAUL!

Anonymousey Jun 29, 2012

I worked for this company for 6 weeks and busted my ###, went above and beyond, got GREAT reviews from customers and co-workers, and was never once late or absent. I was trained at at sub-par level, at warp speed, and I STILL managed to get by without screwing up...that I knew of. Basically, they hired me on, didn't train me properly, and then fired me without notice because I had made mistakes I didn't know I was making. I didn't even know I didn't have a job until 2 weeks after it happened and I only found out because I went in and cornered the manager to find out why I hadn't been scheduled. This caused 2 utilities to be cut off and my children to go hungry because I didn't have time to find other employment before my bills were due. I also turned down 2 other jobs during that 2-week period that could have saved me financially.

misrepresentation

Uhaul takes resevations for moving trucks, etc. online. The reservation doesn't mean squat. The actual location doesn't get any info from Uhaul until 24 hours before you pick up. If the local location has taken reservations on their own, then those customers get the equipment first. If there isn't any equipment left...TOUGH. You can reserve a truck weeks in advance and it doesn't mean a thing.

overcharged/racial discrimation

I was charged 38.10 for 2 gallons of gas and 30.00 late fee or service fee which he called it. My truck wa...

false mileage

I recently rented a truck from U-Haul. I ended up needing to keep the truck for about four extra hours and understood the charges on the contract for such an extension. What I didn't expect was a 100+ dollar debit to come out of my checking account two weeks later for "extra mileage." I knew I'd be charged 40 cents per extra mile used, but U-Haul charged me for 253 extra miles, when I did maybe 60 extra miles max. I made a local move from a section of Georgia maybe twenty minutes for the other. There is no way I traveled anywhere near 253 miles. I documented the mileage at pick up and at drop off and shocker, the numbers don't mach those on U-Haul's invoice. I've tried time after time to call and speak to someone helpful, but everyone is rude, useless, and generally a waste of my time. How lovely for U-Haul that they can manipulate numbers to charge people for miles never used. Must be nice to be able to steal from people then say "well, too bad. Our numbers are correct." This guy I spoke to today said "we've never had this type of complaint before and we're not accusing you of anything but..." What happened to the customer being right? What happened to hearing someone out before you dismiss their complaint as "nope, nothing we can do." I wonder if anyone else has had this happen - did anyone else get charged for extra miles they didn't use? One thing's for sure - I will NEVER use U-Haul again. They are crooks. If you haven't already, be warned don't use them ever unless you want money stolen from you.

overcharged

On June 10th, 2011, we picked up a 26foot Uhaul truck, with a car dolly, as well as 3 moving dollies. We...

horror story and do not recommend them

We rented a 26′ truck from U-Haul, one month prior to our scheduled move from New York to Dallas on November 28 2009. I had made all the arrangements with the movers and my husband had made an arrangement to buy a car in Dallas on the day of our arrival.

The people who are selling us their car were moving to another state but they’ve decided to wait for a couple of more days until we arrive so that they can sell their car. On Friday at 5pm (about 15 hours prior to the scheduled delivery time, and right after everything closes) U-Haul gives us a call to say that they don’t have a truck for Saturday but we can get it for Sunday.

We are moving from an office building and the freight elevators on Sunday are closed unless you make prior arrangements. Friday at 5pm we had no time to make these arrangements and now our move is automatically scheduled for two days later which is the Monday right after Black Friday weekend where it will be impossible to park the truck near the freight entrance because of the volume of delivery trucks on busy Monday mornings.

I have looked at uhaul reviews on the internet and saw that many people posted similar comments. I should have looked at those before. I hope someone else reads this before making their decision with U-Haul.

defective trailer

On February-- I rented a 6x8 enclosed trailer from the Uhaul dealer at 594Bearses Way in Hyannis Massachusetts. My purpose for the rental was to pick up some seat cushions in New York for my antique car. When I picked up the trailer, the person at the counter could not complete the reservation because the computer was down. They had to rewrite the contract by hand. I agreed to the insurance when they asked if I wanted it. At no time during the transaction was any explanation given to me about proper operation of the trailer, or any safety precautions that I should know. I was not told that a lock should be used to keep the door closed and there are no stickers or other information on the trailer suggesting this either.

At some point on my return from New York, the trailer door opened and my cargo fell out onto the highway. I was not aware that this had happened until further down the road when the state police stopped me to inform me that something had fallen out of the trailer and caused an accident. When I went to the rear of the trailer, the door was open and the cargo missing. The car that was following behind me was unable to avoid hitting the seat cushions when they fell out and damaged his vehicle when he ran over them. He had to have his vehicle towed because it couldn't be driven.The state police provided my information to the driver who contacted me the next day. He stated that what he ran over did extensive damage to the underside of his vehicle including the radiator, cooling system, transmission lines and bumper moldings.

When I returned the trailer the next morning and explained what had happened, the rental agent did not inspect the trailer but gave me the contact information for Western Republic. I called and opened claim #[protected] with them. I was told they would do an investigation and get back to me. It's very interesting that Uhaul and Western Republic are part of the same corporation. Isn't this a conflict of interest? They never called me back so I called them. I was told that there was no defect with the trailer so they were not accepting any liability for the accident and I would have to go through my insurance company to pay the damage claim. They also told me because they found no defect that they weren't responsible for the damage to my cargo either. I asked how they determined that there was no defect and was told that they looked at the rentals prior to and subsequent to my rental and found no complaints. Are you kidding me!!! This is how you investigate a defect?? What was the insurance that I took out supposed to cover? They had no answer when I asked if the latch wasn't defective, how did the door open on its own. They made some half baked remark about something to do with the distance I drove. The lack of depth of the "investigation" flabbergasted me. This was not an accurate measure of liability or way of determining a defect. Quite possibly previous renters have not hit the same type of bump that I did. Were these previous rentals local and driven at slower speeds over in-town roads, or used on highways at higher speeds where bumps have a more exaggerated effect? They cannot say that looking at the prior and subsequent rentals is an accurate way of comparing like situations and determining if a defect exists. Being totally frustrated with their attitude, I requested a written explanation of their determination. Attached is Western Republic's response to my request for documentation on their decision to deny liability for the defective door latch.

Not happy with Western Republic's response, I called Uhaul's customer service. They put me on hold for ten minutes and then came back on the line and told me there was nothing they could do for me. I asked to speak with a supervisor and was told that he would tell me the same thing so there was no reason to connect me. I had to ask repeatedly for the name of a person in a management position in Uhaul that I could have review my situation. They finally gave me the name of Thomas Snell. I called him and explained what had happened. Mr. Snell initially said that Uhaul had already investigated the claim and didn't know what else he could do. After hearing all the facts, he decided to investigate further, but didn't say exactly what that investigation would entail. I have not had a reply back yet from Mr. Snell and he does not return my phone calls.

It should not become my liability for a situation that was out of my control due to a latch is definitely worn and defective with no mechanism to prevent it from popping open. I also believe that I should not have my perfect driving record tarnished and have to pay surcharges on my future insurance policies because of this defective latch. I have also lost my seat cushions which were in mint original condition and irreplaceable.

I sent all this information to Mr. Shoen, the CEO of Uhaul. Lets see what he has to say. No results from him and I'm off to court.
Please respond back to me that you have received this and also with your findings.

• Gr
    Growling white teeth Mar 26, 2011

had accident with trailor getting damaged. thank goodness we also purchased their insurance, but when i filed a claim for my damaged cargo, the address and ph. no. were no longer in service. go figure. and trying to rent the thing for our journey, customer service was lacking

• Jk
    JKDE Mar 26, 2011

You state "a latch is definitely worn and defective with no mechanism to prevent it from popping open." Every U-haul trailer has holes on the latch to put a lock. The lock is your responsibility to provide. Some-U-haul sites even sell locks. With the light weight load you put in that 6 x 8 trailer it was probably bouncing all over the road and that unsecured latch opened. Regardless, it is your responsibility to make sure your trailer and its contents were secure. Same thing if you put the car seats on your roof racks and didn't tie them down.

• To
    Todd Lavaulee May 22, 2012

If the agent did not the customer that a lock was needed UHAUL is at FAULT!!

• To
    Todd Lavaulee May 22, 2012

UHAUL SHOULD INSTRUCTED THE CUSTOMER ON LOCKS AND USEAGE!!!

over chargrd my bank card

This company is the worst. It tell you one thing. And charge you another... Don't give them your bank card to rent anything from them... Pay cash then you will not have trouble with your bank for fees you did not sign for.. Why are people so crocked why is it so hard to be truthful you can not trust any thing now days. People want your money and don't care how they get it... Be very careful... And check out any company you are going to use at this site.. Befor you make a move be very caeful the demons company are uot there to drain you dry

• Va
    va_girl Mar 01, 2011

I have never moved with a "demons company" before, sounds exciting!

$19.95 a day rental scam

I got suckered by the $19.95 a day rental ad plastered all over their rental vehicles. Only fter scheduling a...

trailer leaks and insurance denial

I rented a trailer from U-Haul which leaked and damaged several items. The leak and damage was reported at drop off. I filed an insurance claim which involved a great deal of paperwork, photographs etc. Two months later the claim was denied on the grounds that no problems were found. The soaking items taken from the trailer were not evidence. I was pretty much being called a lair and that no water damage took place. I have witnesses and I have a bookshelf that I won't use due to its appearance. U-Haul through its insurance agent denied the claim not based on evidence but because they will suffer no consequence by doing so. If there was no water damage then I am guilt of insurance fraud by filing a claim. If there was water damage then they should offer some reimbursement. How many times have we seen this insurance scam. U-Haul is responsible for the actions of its agents. So long as there is a choice I will not choose U-Haul again and will urge others to look elsewhere

early drop off no reinbursment

I reserved a 14' moving truck for pick up on 9/18/10 and drop off on 9/20/10 through U-Hauls website: www.uhaul.com. When we got to the pick up site in Dodgeville Wi I asked if we did not need the truck on Sunday/Monday could I drop the truck off early and get a refund for the days I did not use it. I was told by JoAnn at the pick up location (dropping off in La Crosse Wi) that yes they would adjust the amount automatically from my CC. I dropped off the truck on Sunday 9/19/10 at the Feista Ct location in La Crosse--of course it was not open so I wrote down what day and time I brought it back and asked for the refund of the extra day. On Monday, 9/20/10, I called the La Crosse location to verify that there would be a refund for the one day, of course I was told no by this dealer. I then proceeded to contact U-Haul's customer service, which was a joke. I spoke with a Mark in customer service, he was nice but not willing to do anything about it. I had to open up a review case so that they could check into it but no garuntee that anything would be done. He gave me some song and dance aobut how the reservation was for 2 days and to bring back early would not constitue for a refund. I have now reported U-Haul to the Better Business Bureau and will no longer rent from them. I will give them the garuntee that I will be spreading my story to others. Just maybe by word of mouth by unhappy customers they will get the picture that they have a long way to go with working with customers.

Assualted by Employee

I live near this U Haul facility, THe employees use the sidewalks as streets driving down them instead of on...

bad service

I reserved a moving truck online at the U-Haul website for the 3 of July at 9 am.I get a text message the night before my move telling me my time has been changed to 5 pm and that the location was changed.I called the U-haul and they told me that the one in Yoder where I needed my truck to be will be closed all weekend.I already figured the Yoder cost into my moving budget and now it's going to cost me a 100.00 more to move.I think I'm getting jacked.So now I'm without a truck and tring to move with one car and 4 kids.Thanks a lot Yoder Feed that also does U-haul I will make sure everyone that I know gets their supplies some place else.

On Sunday afternoon I looked up uhaul 's that were opened to transport items from Georgetown to Mt Pleasant. Drove to Daniels Island to find out you can't take a trailer more than 50 miles unless it is one way, although the website did not clearly state this (I was going 60 miles). Called the Uhaul in Georgetown, gas station attendant stated she didn't know if they even had trailers since she could only see trucks from the window. She was extremely rude and states the person handling the uhauls would not be back for a few hours. Then I drove to Downtown CHarleston, King street after calling to make sure they had a trailer and arrived at 4:57. They stated they closed at 5 and would not help us. After 3 attempts and 2 hours we were not able to get a trailer. I will not be using uhaul again and advise others to find somewhere else for their moving needs.

• Jk
    JKDE Mar 29, 2011

U-haul stores just rent and sell U-haul products, have experts working there and are not bad. Most gas stations that rent U-hauls have gas station attendants with just enough training to get your trailer or truck paperwork filled out and quick hook you up. But you can't show up three minutes before they close on a Sunday and expect them to serve you. Next time you rent a trailer, say you're using it local but make sure you return it to the same place you rented it from and before they close. Otherwise you'll get charged for another days rent.

no refund policy

My father rented a truck and dolly from U-haul to move to Atlanta, Georgia. an expensive move for which he...

the manager is very rude

I dropped off a 17 foot in st augustine stores address was 3524 US 1 South. The manager is very rude. I have never meet anyone manager that is rude to her customers like she was... Someone needs to really screen there managers better than just hire them off the street I asked her how long she has been with U-Haul she said a couple months. The staff that was there in June when I dropped off my daughters U-Haul. That manager and staff was awesome. Very Kind...

Joseph Giardina Mar 16, 2014

On 3/12/14 I had a tractor trailer deliver 470 boxes. The men were unloading the truck to the 3rd floor. There I had 2 rooms, 3404 and 3622.The row of rooms where mine was had very little air conditioning, it was so hot we were all perspiring.I Then went down to talk to the so-called manager.I explained to him in a nice way that it was very uncomfortable to work up there.He told me that he was working on a car and that he would be up as soon as possible.Well we waited about a half an hour.I went down to remind he about the hot air.I then started to argue with him, since being nice did not work.I told him that I was going to report him to his superiors, he then sarcastically, put his hands in a prayer position like to beg me not to report him.We then got into an argument.he cursed at me and I cursed at him.He should have acted in a professionally manner.Ten minutes later he came up stairs to see what was wrong, he did nothing.This man should not be a manager, he does not know how to treat customers.He is nasty and rude.I expect some kind of compensation.And I would like to have a hearing.His name is Russ Baldwin.He works at u-Haul [email protected] of Hunters Creek.13301 S. Orange Blossom Trail, Orlando, Fl 32837- (407) 888-8279

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices