Toyota Of North Hollywood / fraud and scam

I'm hoping that this review will help someone else avoid the same problems I experienced at Toyota of North Hollywood. In short, they did a shoddy job on my car and the customer service was substandard. I would not recommend them to anyone. If you want to know the exact details of my situation, just continue reading.

I dropped my car off at 7:30am, right when they opened up. All I needed was a replacement for a broken door handle and an oil change. I was told that it would be ready between 10:30 and 11am and that they would call my cell. I returned at 10:35, still without a call. I was in no rush and figured that they'd alert me when the work was finished.

By 11:15, I went to see the representative who waited on me earlier to find out what the hold up was. I was given a weak and confusing excuse that they did not realize I had returned to the dealership; had they known, they would have moved my car up in priority. Question: If I arrived at 7:30am, right at the dealership's opening, shouldn't I have priority over anyone else who came in after me? They would not set up an appointment, hence it's first come, first serve. At this point, I was told that it would be another 45 minutes until the work would be completed.

Noontime rolled around and I gave them a little extra time, but come 12:25, my patience had worn out. I hadn't seen my representative for at least twenty minutes (his work station was clearly visible from about thirty feet from where I was sitting), so I went to talk to another attendant. When I told him what the problem was, he just referred me to the same guy I hadn't seen for twenty-odd minutes. We walked out to where the cars where being worked on and my representative showed up.

The other rep acted like he was standing there all along and that I wasn't paying attention. Now I was being told that a bolt within my door had been causing problems for the mechanic. He didn't go into too much detail, he just smiled and shrugged and pointed to some vague spot on the car door and said they were having a tough time with it. This is about five hours after I dropped off the car and at no time had they told me of any problems that had arisen which were causing a delay. All that he said was, “It'll take a little more time". That ended up being another hour.

At 1:30 they finally told me that the car was ready. I paid for the handle and service and few minutes later the car rolled round. I got in and tried to roll up the windows. As I pressed the switch to raise them, the entire component housing the power window switches came loose. The only thing connecting them to the door was the wiring. I called to the rep and he in turn called over a mechanic. They went off for a moment to discuss it and the rep came back to tell me, rather nonchalantly, that the guy who worked on my car broke my door and didn't say anything about it to anyone. Then he said that he would order a replacement piece for the switch. Why would he think I'd want his guys to continue working on my car at this point? I informed him that I didn't want the part, I didn't want his staff touching my car, and that I'd look elsewhere.

Six hours wasted and my car was still broke. Money is tight right now and the people living here in the Valley need a reliable place to take their vehicles for service. Please don't make the same mistake I did and get burned! Do not support Toyota of North Hollywood with your hard-earned income!

Da

Comments

26th of Apr, 2009

Hi Danny,

I want to apologize on behalf of my dealership. My name is Noel Graham and I am the Internet Director for Toyota of North Hollywood. Bad economy or not, no one should have this type of experience whether it's from my dealership or someone else's.

From what you're saying, it sounds like we dropped the ball completely in several different areas. Could you please contact me at the dealership? We are a recent President's Award recipient (the highest honor given by Toyota), we're "AA" rated by the Better Business Bureau, and we're a JD Power recommended dealer. I want to make sure that your issues were brought to the attention of our Service Director and our General Manager. We need to resolve this for you and make sure that we don't let anything like this happen to someone else in the future.

We've served this community for over 40 years. We're not perfect (obviously) but it's rare that we miss the mark like this. I don't believe this website will let me post a phone number, but it's easy to find online or on your last statement from us. Ask for me at extension 417 and if I'm not at my desk, you will be automatically forwarded to my cell phone.

Again, I'm sorry for your experience and I hope you'll give us a chance to correct the issues and improve as we move forward. Thank you!

• To
      18th of Aug, 2009

today aug 18 2009 i brought my car into toyota of north hollywood i have a 2003 echo 96, 000 miles i had an engine light come on and the car felt like it would stall out so i made appt service rep named dean had been asked by my mom the cost of a tune up quoted 311.00 with tax 332.74 when i arrived i had told him situation with engine light and was told they will check it out then give me a call dean claims he called twice i showed a miss call and he failed to leave a message when i spoke to him he tells me i need too ignition coils which will cost another 365.00 and some if he would of given me a choice to perform work i would of said to fix coils now im stuck still with the car running like it did and 332.00 wasted for nothing 79.00 in parts for tune up and 229.00 labor and my car still running like crap im very upset and dont have money to waste i made a complaint to manager she asks dean he lies said he called twice he should of talked to me before performing work he failed to do so also under the impression they had coils there and they did not they would have to be ordered and would be there next day i called corporate and got a case num hopefully this can be resolved sinserely april l

18th of Aug, 2009

Hi April,

I have escalated this issue to our Service Director and the General Sales Manager. Can you please contact me at the store so I can get your info and access the correct file?

I'm sure we can come to a happy resolution together. Please ask for me when you call so I can help. Thank you!

Noel Graham