TCF Bank / Overcharged

I've been a customer of TCF Bank for a couple of years now and have had a lot of overdraft fee issues. I thought they must have been my fault for miscalculating and not knowing how transactions post, but yesterday I found out that TCF Bank has been ripping me off the whole time.

On Feb. 12 my account balance was $205.14. I made four purchases totaling $45.23 bringing my account balance to $159.91. The same night I checked my account balance online and noticed an ACH transaction pending for $200 after the purchases that I made earlier that day. So I recorded the ACH transaction in my register and brought down my balance to -$40.09. I subtracted a $35 NSF fee amount because that's what the bank charges for overdrawing the account. My final account balance was -$75.09.

Yesterday, Feb. 15, 2009 I went to a TCF Bank and deposited $160.00 to my account to make it current and have a balance of $84.91. However, when I got the deposit receipt I noticed that it stated a -$20.09 balance. I was confused about what was going on. As soon as I got home I checked my account online and noticed that I had been charged $140.00 of NSF fees for the transactions that I had made on Feb. 12, 2009 before the actual transaction of $200 that had made my account negative.

I called TCF Bank and spoke to a man named Sebastian who told me that the reason why I had been charged the NSF fees for the other transactions even though I did have money in the account at the time was because TCF Bank posts the transactions from greatest to smallest, even though they weren't made in that order. He said the reason why the bank did this was because they want to pay off the more 'SIGNIFICANT' amounts first like car payments, mortgage payments, etc., so it would be less inconvenient for the customer.

But to me, this method IS inconvenient and they are not being fair or ethical. They charge the customer various NSF fees by manipulating the order the transactions post. I know Bank of America got in trouble for the same thing and TCF bank should suffer the same consequences as BOA.

Be

Comments

• Gu
      24th of Apr, 2009

its perfectly legal, it was probably in a disclosure you received (but never read) when you opened the account. Plus if you only write checks when you have money in your account you should have nothing to worry about. blame yourself for spending money you didnt have instead of blaming the bank.

• Ro
      25th of Sep, 2009

I understand i was in that same situation tcf bank charge me a total of $175 in fees and that is not right, tcf is taking advantage of us the tax payers when we just bail them out. That is okay they will fail again because the banks are so foolish. the president should have let them fail.