Target Return Policy / I will never shop there again!

I recently purchased a prepaid phone for my 9 year old son for 59.99. When I went to verizon to add it on, they had better phones at a better deal, so I went to take the other phone back. I didn't have a receipt. I lost it, and because it was a cash transaction, they will not give any kind of refund, not even store credit. I could, for the most part, understand that on some items because of theft, but this item had to be unlocked by one their employees, so it was obviously not stolen. The employee and manager gave me a 1-800 number to call for help and said maybe they can help you. They won't. It is a total waste of time and a way for Target to not deal with their customers. I even spoke with a supervisor there that was like, "I understand your concerns, and we at Target take them seriously. we want our customers to be happy, etc..., but that is our policy. When asked for her supervisor, she refused to give that person to me and gave me Mr. Urlich's address and told me to contact him.

I hope that Target, which also owns Starbucks, is happy with the 59.99 they received from me, because I will never shop there again, and I am sure they don't care, because I told that to Miss Corporate America, and she didn't, but I am a stubborn person, and I mean it. There is a K Mart across the street, a Meijers by my job, and a Walmart down the road. Sometimes receipts are lost. We are in the process of moving into a new home, it happens.

Va

Comments

• Do
      30th of Jan, 2008

IF SOME ONE HAD TOLD ME THAT "TARGET" HAD THIS POLICY, I NEVER WOULD HAVE BELIEVED THEM, TILL I TOO TRIED TO RETURN A HOLIDAY GIFT AND GOT THE SAME RUN AROUND EVEN AFTER I EMAILED "TARGET" AND THEY IN TURN TOLD ME TO CALL A "SPECIAL" PERSON THAT WOULD SURELY TAKE CARE OF THIS SITUATION. WELL, DONT WASTE YOUR TIME BECAUSE IT DID NO GOOD WHAT SO EVER. (A TOTAL WASTE OF MY TIME AND ENERGY)! THIS POLICY IS LIKE SOMETHING OUT OF THE 1940'S! WELL, TARGET, "YOU SOW THE WIND, YOU REAP THE WHIRLWIND". DB

26th of Feb, 2008

Have any of you actually worked in retail? What do you do when you don't get your receipt from the cashier? You complain. Then what do you do when you lose it 5 minutes after you get it? You complain about the fact that a store has a clearly written return policy stating you must have a receipt to do a return. Be more responsible and don't blame other people for something you did. I've heard every excuse about why someone doesn't have their receipt. Most places even have it set up to where if you have the card or a check from the account it was purchased on they can look it up that way (if it was purchased within the last 90 days or whatever the return policy is) And the reason why most stores have this policy is because people try to return items that they've had for 6 months. I know what you're going to say, why shouldn't they let me return it after 6 months?" It's because these places don't rent products for 6 months... they sell them to you. After a certain amount of time they have to be able to say with confidence that the 600 of that certain item they sold is for sure sold and they're not going to get 300 returned in a year just because people don't want them. For the most part if there is a problem with the product you bought they will take care of it. But if it's just because you didn't make a well informed buying decision don't complain about it... Maybe you should just think about what you'd like to purchase and if someone gives you a gift it's not Target, Meijer or Wal-Mart's fault the person didn't give you a gift receipt, maybe they didn't want you to return it? And by the way Meijer, Wal-Mart, Target and K-Mart all have the same return policies for the most part. They also have this in place so that you can't buy something at Wal-Mart and return it to Target on accident (or because it's more expensive at the other store) because they can actually be fined for allowing that to happen if the vendor finds out. You see it's not all about you, they have responsibilities that they have to be held to.

• La
      31st of Mar, 2008

YOU LOST YOUR RECEIPT. This is your fault. If you read the majority of "complaints" of this nature, 9 out 10 times the person lost/misplaced their receipt. Get over it. I hope you learn something from this, oh, say, like how to be better organinzed so you don't lose all of your receipts. You people make it so much harder for people with legitimate complaints. Oh, by the way, Target could give a crap about your $59.99 and the paltry sums of money you spend there...you not shopping there will not cause their downfall.

• Lg
      5th of Apr, 2008

Target can look up your receipt. Did you ask them to do that?

Almost all stores now-a-days require a receipt for returns. No receipt, no return.

Here, even Wal-Mart requires a receipt for all returns or exchanges.

26th of May, 2008

Target does not own Starbucks

• Am
      30th of Jun, 2009

Jake took the words right out of my mouth.

I work at the Target Service Desk and I'm so sick of hearing the excuses. People always come with no receipt and assume they can do everything and anything. The policy is clearly stated at checkout and on your receipt. If you don't have it, we do what we can, but there's a limit. Be more responsible.