Target / hiring practices

Target is the worst company in the universe. I worked for Target for 3 years. I started as a Team Leader which is an hourly position. I was promoted to an Executive Team Leader position which is a salaried management position. Eventually, I was told I was topped out because I did not have a college degree. I was told by my store manager that they loved my results, but without a degree I had gone as far as I was going to go. I left the company- working a 2 week notice. Two years later, I applied at Target. I could not even get an interview because I did not have a degree. I had excellent performance reviews, left in good standing, and had actually performed the job I was applying for- but oh...no degree...no interview. This company wants cookie-cutter fresh out of college kids who don't want to do physical work, but they fit the "image" Target wants to portray. I didn't have a degree when I was promoted, but I was told I was an exception because of my strong performance. In the end, Target is a technology forward company that I admired, but they are very single-minded about hiring. Getting a degree shows commitment, but so does years of experience. They sell themselves short with their single-minded pursuit of college educated candidates.

Comments

6th of Jul, 2010

You need a degree to work at Target?

• Wh
      6th of Jul, 2010

Sadly, lots of retail places now are changing their requirements. And I agree with you - Target is a crappy place to work for.