Target / falsely accused

I was falsely accused of shoplifting at TARGET store located at 2700 W 120th street HAWTHORNE, CA 90250 on Friday June 26th, 2009 at about 10:15AM. I was stopped by security on my way out of the store and accused of (SHOPLIFTING) having something in my waste band, and asked to basically frisk myself right by the front door. We then went to the bathroom where I showed security that I didn't have anything and I didn't!

A retail store makes a choice when it decides to detain, apprehend and/or arrest those who attempt to steal their merchandise. Making that choice creates a legal responsibility of doing it correctly. This involves the proper hiring, training, and supervising those who make shoplifter apprehensions and arrests. In the retail loss prevention profession, the possibility of falsely accusing and detaining a customer for theft is a business reality that must be addressed.

In the United States, citizens value their civil liberties and constitutional rights and don't appreciate submitting to unlawful seizure and search.

Ki

Comments

• Br
      7th of Jul, 2009

I've worked in retail for over 14 years and i know for a fact that it's not considered a theft until a person leaves the building without paying for it...they have to be out of the building before being aprehended.

• Ga
      27th of Aug, 2009

I would call a lawyer.

• Li
      15th of Mar, 2010

I agree with the two people above.