Symantec / Norton Antivirus / symantec uses third parties to find your new credit card numbers

Symantec/Norton Antivirus
Symantec uses a "billing update service" through many national banks to find out the new card numbers and expiration dates of your credit and checking account cards. Even if you have an entirely new credit card number from the one they have on file for you, if the old card is through a bank, they can find your new one and charge it without your permission if you have auto-renewal selected.

I received an auto-renewal notice saying my card on file (a card I had replaced a year ago) was expired and that I needed to provide a new card to them or risk losing protection. Well I did not want to renew, so I gave no new card. I assumed that was the end of it. A week later I received a "thank you" email from Symantec saying they have successfully charged my NEW card, that I never provided to them. I was horrified that they found out my new card number without my permission and CHARGED it.

The customer support tech (who was actually very nice) explained that Symantec uses a "billing update" service provided through major banks to find the new account information of existing customers who have "selected the convenience of auto renewal". Apparently they are so dedicated to our convenience that we don't even have to give them our credit card information. They will go out and find it.

She wouldn't elaborate, but I'm pretty sure her supervisors wouldn't let her. The old card on file was a debit card but since my checking account number is the same, they used this "service" to obtain my new card number associated with my checking account. Which means they have access to my checking account info!! I am horrified. This is the equivalent of digging through someone's garbage and stealing their information.

Needless to say, I am horrified that I was sent an email asking me to give a new card, and when I did not... they went out and hunted it down and CHARGED it without permission.

N  18th of Jul, 2008 by

Symantec / Norton Antivirus - was charged for product that did not work
2041 B Virginia Ave
Phone: 912-281-1534

Renewed Nortons Anitvirus for my computer and it did all that it was to do as far as download but it keeps asking to renew my subscription will I am not happy with this I want my money returned to my checking as of tomorrow.
N  20th of Jul, 2008 by