Spirit Airlines / rip off with luggage and connecting flights

My husband and I took our 1st vacation in 10 years and we decided to go to Las Vegas which was our dream vacation and do to my husbands health conditions we were unable to go on vacation, while on line checking the price of airline tickets they seemed to be the cheapest, so we booked our flight with them in April for our vacation in July, at the time they did not charge for luggage only when we went on to confirm our tickets did we find out that we had to pay for our luggage which was cheaper to do on line so we purchased on line after calling customer service and discussing the fee with them because at the time of purchasing the tickets they did not charge, however they informed us that we had to pay for the luggage if it was not going to be carry on, so we did, credit card was charged 5 times, so at this time I called there toll free number and could never get anyone on the line, so when we arrived at the airport we did crub side check in and they informed us you had to tip them ( which people normally do) I just feel it is wrong for them to demand the tip!! There was even signs up stating this, when we arrived to the counter to check in luggage we explained how are credit card was billed 5 times which they found funny for some reason and when I became irate they said I would need to take it up with customer service and they gave me my tickets, we had a connecting flight in Atlanta and I asked where my tickets were for my connecting flight and at that time they told me we had to go to luggage claims and get our luggage and get our tickets from there to go on to Las Vegas, I argued with them for sometime and got no where and it makes it difficult because of my husbands health condition we had to go thur a special security and this required us to go though everything again, so when we got to Atlanta we got our luggage and stood in line all over again and our 2 hour lay over turned out to us almost missing our connecting flight, we ended back at the same gate we arrived to Atlanta in, most airlines give you your connecting flight. I really believe this is so they can make more money off the luggage. Also after boarding the plane they charge for soda, most airlines it is served free, I will never fly Spirit again and I have told everyone I know about the horrible experience and for them never to fly Spirit and I hope that this letter can help other's from making the same mistake we did.

Mary

Comments

So
  16th of Sep, 2007

Maybe you should go look at the monitor and go to the ticket counter inside the gate and get the boarding pass, this way you wont have to wait inline if you have to come back to the terminal, again for your luggage you probably make sure the destination when they put on the tag is New York instead of Atlanta, this way the luggage should reroute to the plane instead of picking up the bag and recheck it in.

Te
  14th of Dec, 2007

I finally realized that after two weeks of Spirit Airlines keeping my son's luggage and not sending it through to him, as promised 6 times, Spirit Airlines should be arrested for stealing. Never mind their nonexistent customer service, inefficient tools of communicating, and rude behavior, they are thieves!