SmashBurger / online ordering; wrong order

1 United States

I found a buy one get one free offer online. I was given a promo code to use during checkout. I signed up for Smash Club and then proceeded to order, thinking I would be able to enter the promo code, and receive what was advertised, a free burger. However, no where during the online ordering was there a place to enter the promo code, and thereby get the advertised special, buy one get one free. I had to just enter my credit card information and place the order.
When I went to pick up I mentioned this and was told that one cannot use the online promo code to order online. I thought 'this is the stupidest answer I've ever been told!' You get the promo code online, the advertisement with the promo code has a link to order online, yet you can't actually use it? I was then told to just place the order online, but not pay for it online...then I could come in and they would apply the code. Well, obviously this is incorrect since you cannot checkout without paying.
I do not believe I was given a receipt to scan and attach, so there's another complaint

Then, when I got home (5 minutes from store) the burgers and fries, they were literally cold. Not warm, not lukewarm--COLD. (And swimming in grease but I'll let that one go). After I had heated up the meal (2 burgers and a smashfries), and I unwrapped my burger--I had ordered a triple double, but that is not what I received. I got a regular smashburger--one patty. At this point I was pretty pissed off, and I determined to likely never visit a Smashburger again. I will also be telling anyone I talk to about the experience. This is really too bad for I really do like the burgers there. But this whole lunch experience has left me angry, and a little bitter.

Mark J. Remington