Service Magic / Meaningless service guarantee

Service Magic referred to me a roofer who did an awful job. The roof leaked, he did other work wrong, the roofer didn't finish the job properly, and he had a nasty attitude as well. So I went to Service Magic and they did absolutely nothing. They could not help me because I had to have another roofer redo the work! You'd think that would be a reason to take action. Instead, it is the opposite.

I gave him a bad writeup which they did not add to his rating, and he is still on the site. I know that because I contacted the site later and pretended I was someone else wanting a roofer (there is no other way to find out).

Service Magic says the work is "guaranteed, " but that's just advertising spin. It is nothing more than a referral service in which contractors pay for leads, and there is no screening whatsoever. After I had this problem, I called repeatedly and asked for a supervisor and got no return calls.

Oh, and to make things worse, just before I was about to sue this jerk I contacted Service Magic to verify the current address of the contractor. Again, I got NO return call.

P.S. Expect an "Angela Doss" to respond to this complaint, oozing with sympathy and saying what a terrible exception to the rule my complaint and the dozens of others are. I notice she responds to every complaint about Service Magic. Instead of having this lady ooze sympathy after it's too late as a meaningless public relations gesture, they should live up to their promises when there's still time to do something.

Comments

• Ho
      27th of Sep, 2010

I just discovered that there is a simple way to find out if a contractor is a member of Service Magic. They have something called "screen a pro." I just used that website and discovered that this clown is STILL a member of Service Magic.

• Cl
      19th of Jul, 2012

How is Service Magic still in business? It is such a scam! They are a complete joke!