Having problems with HomeAdvisor?

1877 800 3177 (Customer Service)
+1 303 963 7200 (Head Office)
14023 Denver West Pkwy, Suite 200
Fri6:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Sat7:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Sun7:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Complaints & Reviews

They will continue to use your company name and even your website long after your account is closed

I had a dispute with a customer over service that I provided. Customer called Service Magic and complained, and SM, without even talking to me at all, cancelled my account. Until then I had nothing but outstanding feedback from all of my customers. Never had a complaint. I had paid over $5000 over several years for leads and had built up a very good reputation in my field. Without notice, SM cancelled my account. They later called and admitted that they had made a mistake, and asked me to come back. Contractors, stay away. They do not care about you. And they will continue to use your company name and even your website long after your account is closed (see lawsuit in above comments) to point people toward their website and away from yours.

SMSupport Apr 10, 2012

Hi "Habuzze" -

I am sorry to hear that you are frustrated with the way the problem resolution process was handled on your account. We do back our customers with a limited service guarantee in the rare occurrence that there is a problem with a service provider. In these situations we try to connect both the professional and consumer to resolve the issue. I would like to discuss your account with you, see what happened and go over your concerns. You can contact me directly at 303.963.8066 or [email protected]

Lies and Fraud

I have been a roofing contractor for over 28 years. After trying ServiceMagic for just a couple of weeks, I found that only one out of 10 leads were legitimate. The first lead I received was a non-working number. The second was a hoax performed by kids. The third lead wouldn't call us back. We received two leads that had already signed with other companies when we promptly called them. One customer refused to allow us to come out because they were looking for a remodeler, not a roofer. Five following leads could not be reached and would not call us back. After complaining to ServiceMagic, I was informed that they would e-mail these last five that would not call us back and see if these customer's would respond. They did not. In the mean time, ServiceMagic debited my account $550.00. I was very upset because I notified them a 9 days before they took the money out of my account that I had several leads that were no good. The original salesman, Andy Johnson just disappeared and wouldn't call me back after I signed up even though he said all I need to do was notify him with any bad leads and he would credit me. He lied. It is very difficult to get a hold of anyone at ServiceMagic. When you finally do reach someone it is obvious that they are well versed on how to refuse a bad lead credit. This is a well rehearsed scam. Stay as far away from this company as you can. I spent many wasted hours trying to contact these bogus leads and trying to get my money back. I finally had to cancel my debit card and report a claim to Visa. ServiceMagic had the nerve to tell me that they were scheduled to take another $165.00 out of my account the following week for yet even more bad leads. This should be criminal and probably is.

SMSupport Mar 02, 2012

Good morning "AAA Roofing" -

I am sorry to hear that you are frustrated with your experience with us. We do offer lead replacements for disconnected phone numbers, wrong types of work and wrong zip codes. We can also take a look at your account and ensure you are set up properly to help you see a return on investment. I would like to get a chance to speak with you directly to discuss your concerns and look into options with you. You may reach me directly at 303.963.8066 or [email protected]

Thank you for your time.

Mandy Black

Unfair and deceptive trade practices, unfair competition, cyber squatting, and other serious violations of law

A civil lawsuit was filed on October 19, 2011 in United States Federal Court against ServiceMagic, Inc., their subsidiary, Market Hardware, and Market Hardware's CEO Brian Kraff for bad faith business practices, unfair and deceptive trade practices, unfair competition, cyber squatting, and other serious violations of law.

Defamation of character

Account with service magic was cancled over 2 months ago. Service Magic is still advertsing using my business name, Address & their phone number.

Leading to loss of revenue
Possible complaints
defamation of character

• Ro
    ROB404 Mar 23, 2010

I USED THIS COMPANY TO FIND A CONTRACTOR TO REPIAR OF REPLACE A FURNACE IN MY PARNETYS HOME. BASED ON THE THEIR ONLINE COMMITMENT AND ENDOSREMENT WE ALLOWED TOWN AND COUNTRY SERVICES 220 LASALLE STREET, TONCIA, ILLINOIS 61370 TO INSTALL A EVCON 56, 000 BTU, MODEL # DGAA056BDTB SERIAL # WOK9185678 ON 09 NOV 2009. THE FURNACE HAS NOT FUNCTIONED PROPERLY SINCE INSTALLED. DESPITE THE NUMBER OF TELEPHONE CALL TO TOWN AND COUNTRY REGARDING THE FURNACE AND IT 'S INABILITY TO PRODUCE HEAT NO ONE RESPONDED TO OUR COMPLIANTS. ULTIMATELY WE FILED AN COMPLIANT WITH THE ATTORNEY GENERAL OFFICE TO GET THE FURNACE REMOVE WITH MONIES RETURNED.
    SERVCIE MAGIC ENDORSES CONTRACTORS BASED ON THE MYTH THEY THEY WILL PROVIDE EXCELLENT WORK WITH EXCELLENT WORK ETHICS. THAT IS NOT TRUE. INADDITION SERVICE MAGIC STATES PAYMENT FOR SERVICES WILL NOT BE MADE UNTIL THE CONCULSION OF WORK TO ENSURE CONSUMER SATISFACTION.. THAT IS ALSO NOT TRUE. ONCE TOWN AND COUNTRY GET THE PAYMENT INFORMATION THEY PROCESS THE PAYMENT AND DID NOT REQUIRE A SIGNATURE ON THE CONTRACT.

SMSupport Sep 13, 2011

Good afternoon Adam -

I am sorry that you are frustrated about your experience with us and that your Exact Match listing has not been fully removed. When Exact Match or your account is cancelled, it can take some time to be removed from the search engines; we have to wait for each one to do a web crawl. I would like to speak to you directly in regards to your concerns and see what we can do to help. Please contact me directly at 303.963.8066 mblack[at]servicemagic.com.

Waste of time

I just got a customer who sent an email to her WARRANTY SERVICE AT NICOR!!! Guess who got the call? NO, GUESS!!! ... ME!!! I have to pay $15 for a lead that was generated by a customer emailing Nicor for warranty work!!! How in the world does ServiceMagic get that info?!! Because of this, I am no longer a ServiceMagic Customer. I saw a post, Google phishes for info. I didn't believe it. How would that be possible for SM to contact someone over a private email? The customer must have emailed him behind his back! Nope, its true.

Also, every other lead has been garbage.

Now, watch for the generic construction company to post below saying how this has never happened to them. Or for ServiceMagic attempt to explain why it cant happen:. How they caaaaant read private emails.. How I should try to reeeeeeeach them to sort this out:. How theyre soooooo concerrrrned". Hahaha! Peace out ServiceMagic! Your time is up! GOOD JOB, Pissed Off Customer of getting service-magic/.pissedconsumer'.com and thwarting ServiceMagics attempts to control the search engine results of their company?. Google Service Magic Reviews and voila! YOU GET THE TRUTH!

SMSupport Jun 27, 2011

Good morning Dnfoss85 -

I am sorry that your leads were not up to your expectations which led you to the cancellation of your account. The leads through are consumer driven. The consumer must submit in their information either online or verbally over the phone. After this information is submitted, we then match that consumer with up to 4 professionals based off of the zip code and category chosen by the consumer. I would need to look into your account and talk to you directly to find out more information for you. You may contact me at 303.963.8066 or by e-mail at mblack [at] servicemagic.com. I appreciate your time and we value your feedback.

Misleading leads

Service Magic offers a lead service that contractors pay for. This month I paid service magic $300 for leads for work that I preform. Out of the $300.00 $182.00 were junk leads leads. Some of these lead you could not get a hold of the customers, 2 were real estate agents the just wanted bids for bargain tool tho promote the sale of a home. Several were for people that want repair work on project that needed replace. they would not refund or credit my account. These are not honest lead source and is a rip off. They do not educate the people on the sites in what kind of services they need. I want fix a job that needs to be replaced I will not rip someone, if they are suggesting a repair on an item that needed to be replace it is that can't afford it. So now I waste my time & money to tell these people not to waste their money because it will not hold up, so now I am the one who is being ripped off. They deduct money for your account as you receive lead so after they have my money they have the power. They are miss lead committing fraud & are harassing people.

Good afternoon Joe –

It sounds like you had a very frustrating experience with ServiceMagic and I am sorry to hear that you did not see an ideal return on investment. We do have a credit process in place and will issue lead replacements on a case-by-case basis. Some of the examples you have provided can be reviewed to see if it is eligible for a lead replacement. I am concerned about the frustrations you have stated and would like to speak to you further in detail. Please feel free to contact me at 303.963.8066 or mblack [at] servicemagic.com.

Bad Service

Called a phone number for a contractor and was linked to Service Magic. After working with them to send people out so i can get quotes on a siding job, windows, deck, and many others. That same night my wife got a call from a person that couldn't speak English and was claiming he was from Service Magic, Or maybe Service Magic gave him our number to call us for a job. Well after about a minute or so my wife was feed up b/c she had no clue what Service Magic was and what this guy was trying to sell her. Since the ph# was unavailable on caller id. This gentleman just couldn't speak a word of English.. So that just set her off. After I explained to my wife what Service Magic is about. She got pissed that service magic gave our number to this type of company...How can we have work done, if we can't understand what they are selling? Just doesn't make any sense...It's like they gave our number to anybody.

Then we had a siding company come today and explain to me after he was 30 minutes late that the estimate he's giving me will cost $100.00. When I spoke to the contractor the day before they said it was free. And Service Magic was told I was looking for companies that provide free estimates.. So today was a waste having contractors from service magic spend 2 hours at my house and not give me a written estimate and wanted to charge me for it..

Also, I'm having problems with the contractors complaining to me when the show up and ask how many other contractors came out for bids on this job b/c i used Service Magic. I don't think they should even ask that type of question.

So after about 4 contractors that i spoke with that Service Magic provided. Only one of them has been professional and I would even consider giving the job. Since when I asked for his credentials he was more than willing to give me them and several references.. Others just got mad, and said look at their website on the work they do and about their company.

Hope this helps you all out!! And if you use this company you get better results.. I will say the girl from Service Magic is very helpful, goes above and beyond getting me the contractors, But I just don't feel that the contractors they are sending are top-notch and I think most of what they are sending is anybody who is willing to pay Service Magics fees..

• Valerie Sep 15, 2008

This company supposedly provides a "Service Guarantee", but when I presented them with a problem with the "professional" I hired via their web site, to pour our concrete driveway, they pursued my complaint up until they would have to pay the cost to me. They had me pull together all kinds of documentation and even had the professional's own admission, but still did not reimburse me the cash I was out, which was $500.

Service Magic is not reliable nor are all the so-called "professionals" they list on their site. DO NOT USE SERVICE MAGIC!!!

homeontherange Sep 27, 2010

I had the same kind of problem with a roofer I hired through ServiceMagic. I just checked and he is still with them.

clydesmom Jul 19, 2012

They don't check these people out at all. When I went to file a complaint with the BBB on the company they had recommended I saw there were already complaints filed against this company. When I informed Service Magic of this they said they don't check with the BBB! Service Magic is a scam!

I hate ServiceMagic

I used ServiceMagic for a couple of years! My disappoint comes from the fact that consumers cannot contact me directly and being apart of ServiceMagic does not promote my website! I paid a lot of money and only received 2 jobs in a couple of years. They ate away at my profits monthly! I tried Angies List and got a few jobs, but the money issue again. Also, homeowners could not find me unless they paid! A friend told me about another company, Contractor Community. I signed up with them and it did not cost me anything. So I figured I had nothing to lose. I got a free website that they host and the leads were free. I have to admit I have not received a lot of calls, but I have a free website and I did get a couple of jobs. They were smaller, but what the heck it is free. I am also in the Yellow Pages. That is very expensive but I do get a few calls from that. I guess you should be in multiple areas. I recommend Contractor Community.

• Tr
    TrueBlueContractors Feb 25, 2011

TrueBlueContractors is the OPPOSITE of lead generators. We provide a certificate that is used to close homeowners. Contractors have to pass a REAL annual background check and any leads you get are free and organic; meaning they are real people, really looking for a contractor. Check us out and please call with any questions or concerns. www.TrueBlueContractors.com (800) 511-1252

Contractors are a rip off

They sent out my number which I did not give them. Along came some contractors and supposedly did some work on a leak on my roof, but would show me NO proof. They wanted to charge me again to come out and take pictures for Directv to reimburse me. They would not take my calls. They are a complete rip off. Stay away from Springfield Roofing, total rip off. Showed up at my door without an appointment and proceeded to check my roof at my request. Took pics of the damage but not the repair as a "courtesy" and wanted to charge to see what I paid for. Rip off!!

Lied to me

Was a Service magic professional for 2 yrs. I had great reviews, and I even got them another contractor buddy of mine to sign up w them. Recently owed them some money, and I made sure i paid it back only to be told that they needed to do a background check. When they did the background check it revealed a bankruptcy from 2yrs ago...the same month I signed up. I was open and honest with the sales lady and told her I was going through it and she said it wouldn't be a problem. I was one of the highest rated contractors on there but because of something in my personal life I am not eligible until 2/12 to re join them. Service Magic doesn't do what they say, they only care about there money and keep contractors with bad reviews on their site and just kicked off a good one. So CONTRACTORS BEWARE!!!

buyer beware

Buyer beware!! Why would you even consider buying a service from a company that sells the same leads to other companies in your area. It promotes compitition for your products and services. It appears that "service magic" is only concerned about their bottom line!
Clearly there are other means to promote your company!!

Rip Off

Service Magic is a joke. They do not screen their contractors. I used a drywall installer tehy recommended as a licensed contractor. This clown hung the drywall backwards and then proceeded to mud and tape it.
They just caused me to have to get someone else from Only Licensed Contractors.com and pay the guy $500 just to correct this mess. Don't believe service magic when they say these people have licenses even if they have the license number listed. The clown has a license number lsited, but when I checked after he destroyed the drywall, the license did not to belong to him. I would have done better looking in the yellow pages.

• Ge
    Germiona Sep 12, 2009

I recently found Service Magic on the internet as a company which "screens" contractors and supposedly puts them through a rigourous check. (I was seaching for a contractor who could pour an addition to my existing driveway. I received the name of one contractor through this agency. I contracted and paid for a 4 inch deep concrete addition. I received a 3 inch addition!

When I called the complaint department at Service Magic, the representative seemed very concerned to help me. Then I was referred to a "specialist" named Holly. She proceeded to put me through three months of requests for photos of the "work" done, faxing the contract, e-mailing information etc. I provided everything she requested from me, in good faith, and was patient.

She needed to have estimates from other contractors who could repair the shotty concrete work done by their client. I provided all of that.

Bottom line...four months of complying with her demands and she told me that she was closing the complaint. (The policy of Service Magic is to review problems and are permitted to allow up to $500.00 to compensate and/or repair inferior work.) She said that my problem didn't qualify for any monetary compensation because the concrete workman said that I wanted a 3 inch thick slab. (Even though I provided the contract to her, that clearly stated that I was to get (and had paid for) 4 inches!!!

WHAT??? The company is a rip-off. They falsely advertise the scrutiny of their contractors, and lead you to believe that they stand behind their workers. After months of leading you on and requesting all information...then never plan to pay you or act as your advocate in a dispute.

Avoid this company at all costs. They do not deliver what they claim and falsely represent their policies for dispute resolution.

• Us
    uspvteyes Dec 15, 2009

Service Magice are crooks from the word go. They con people out of their names and sell them to contractors. Every time they do this they rip of 2 to 4 contractors.
    They have ads that say they do this and that. They don't do any thing.
    They send spam out by the thousands from many companies.
    When the Hiolidays are over I'm going to start working on a Law Suit aganist them.
    Every one should get on board and we can stop this scam.
    ac

• Go
    Good Tydings Sep 16, 2010

All companies that sell leads to contractors are conartists. All they are interested in is selling each lead to as many contractors as possible. That is how they make thier money. They don't care about the quality of the work or that the customer gets 50 calls from contractors. They sell the same lead for months. I used one of these companies and they sent me leads that when I called the customer would tell me that the work had been done months before. This happened on several occasions.

SMSupport Jan 11, 2011

Hello Janice,
    My name is Angela Doss and I am the Online Customer Liaison here at ServiceMagic. I am sorry to hear about your experience and we would like a chance to speak with you in regards to the issue.
    We verify and screen all potential member businesses including searches for criminal convictions, sex offender registry, state-level licensing, insurance, civil judgments and others. We then collect direct feedback from homeowners through ratings and reviews.
    In the event that we find that this contractor is fraudulently using someone else’s license; this does violate our terms and conditions and we will pull that service professional from our network if that is the case.
    If you could please contact me directly so I can research this for you that would be greatly appreciated. I can be reached directly at [email protected] or at 303.963.8125

clydesmom Jul 19, 2012

Their resolution process is a joke! Don't waste your money with anyone that Service Magic would recommend. It's a scam!

Watch out this is theft!

I signed up to get leads... I am a small local contractor and have 28 years experience in my local community.

I gave servicemagic all of my information...

they stole my online traffic by taking over all of my google page, yahoo, aol, and other search engine info. They changed all of my SEO work to their contact info. And then sold it to my competitors!!! and me. Think about paying someone for your own repeat business!! and sharing it with your competitors too. and profiting from your very demise!!

• Cj
    Cjturner Feb 07, 2011

FRAUD - they did the same to our company. I have contacted the Colorado State Attorney! They have also hacked into our phone system and are redirecting our phone calls. You better check your phone lines! I will be letting the State Attorney know that there are others our there. BEWARE

Business ethics/ moral

I am glad I am not the only one that has complaints about Service Magic. I spent $11, 000 in adversting with them and they dropped me like a wet noodle. They do not support contractors at all and are a rip off with leads. We need to stop this company and make contractors and consumers aware of what a scam they are running. The leads are a joke, yes we received some legigite leads, but what a battle it was when we hit the dead end ones, or the contact information was incorrect. what have you. They will give you a replacement lead but never your money back!
Contractors beware and exam and quesiton every lead.
Consumers know that we pay a fee for you lead information and most of the times it is not cheap. 9 out 10 leads I spoke to had no clue that we get charged for there information (which is not a problem, but the amount we are charged is) watch out if it is an exclusive lead that you as the contractor are the only person who receives that information. Ask the consumer if anyone else has called them, they will tell you the truth.

SMSupport Nov 30, 2010

Hello Amimi-
    My name is Angela Doss and I work in customer service here at ServiceMagic. Thank you for your feedback, I'd like to have the opportunity to speak with you in regards to your situation with us. If you could please contact me directly at 303.963.8125 or at [email protected]; that would be greatly appreciated.

• St
    steve holmes Jan 22, 2011

I aggree, We as "Quality contractor" need to do something. This service is hoorible and is designed for small companies with no over head that can absorb such a cost. I hate them but the internet as we all know difficult to get 1st position on google...blah blah blah...They are eveywhere "Service Magic" they seem to have a unlimited budget, and they are seen on every directory, first page on my search engines...its like a monopoly...Im tired of them... It would be different if the quality of the leads were better...but most are tire kickers...or you cant reach them and I call them as soon as I receive them...Ever thought of this...T
    hey are using your website to advertise throughout the internet...who knows if you are getting those leads? They are suppose to be exclusive t=for those...I doubt it.

• Hi
    Hilsdon Photography Feb 22, 2011

So true! I wish I had read up on their complaints before I signed up with them.
    They gave me bad leads, told me I hadn't followed up on leads they never gave me.
    I was extremely responsive with anything that came through. My response time to contact a potential client was on average about 3 minutes. Not one lead turned into a qualified potential client.
    Then, when I stopped my contract with them, they continued to advertise their number, website and contact info next to my business name. I have repeatedly called and emailed them to rectify this issue. They tell me someone will call within the hour, but no-one calls back.
    One Year after stopping service, I still have their number next to my company name all over the web.
    DO NOT sign up as a contractor with this company.

Meaningless service guarantee

Service Magic referred to me a roofer who did an awful job. The roof leaked, he did other work wrong, the roofer didn't finish the job properly, and he had a nasty attitude as well. So I went to Service Magic and they did absolutely nothing. They could not help me because I had to have another roofer redo the work! You'd think that would be a reason to take action. Instead, it is the opposite.

I gave him a bad writeup which they did not add to his rating, and he is still on the site. I know that because I contacted the site later and pretended I was someone else wanting a roofer (there is no other way to find out).

Service Magic says the work is "guaranteed, " but that's just advertising spin. It is nothing more than a referral service in which contractors pay for leads, and there is no screening whatsoever. After I had this problem, I called repeatedly and asked for a supervisor and got no return calls.

Oh, and to make things worse, just before I was about to sue this jerk I contacted Service Magic to verify the current address of the contractor. Again, I got NO return call.

P.S. Expect an "Angela Doss" to respond to this complaint, oozing with sympathy and saying what a terrible exception to the rule my complaint and the dozens of others are. I notice she responds to every complaint about Service Magic. Instead of having this lady ooze sympathy after it's too late as a meaningless public relations gesture, they should live up to their promises when there's still time to do something.

homeontherange Sep 27, 2010

I just discovered that there is a simple way to find out if a contractor is a member of Service Magic. They have something called "screen a pro." I just used that website and discovered that this clown is STILL a member of Service Magic.

clydesmom Jul 19, 2012

How is Service Magic still in business? It is such a scam! They are a complete joke!

Beware

I needed a plumber for a new hot water heater and some other repairs. I was referred to one through Service Magic. This guy was a joke. He left us with so many problems that we now have to get another plumber. The price he gave me over the phone was not what he charged and the way he installed the water heater is a joke. The hot water pressure is terrible. When he installed my new faucet he broke out the bottom of our sink and wanted to be paid for installing a new one. He relocated the dryer vent by cutting a crooked hole in the floor and just shoving the vent through it. He did not go under the house to attach the vent cap or secure the vent to the joist. He did not seal around the vent opening either. We are disabled and had fix the problem.

SMSupport Sep 17, 2010

Hello-

My name is Angela Doss and I work in customer service at ServiceMagic. Thanks for your feedback. We take the professionalism of our member businesses very seriously and I apologize that your experience did not meet your expectations. I would like to help amend your situation; but I will need you to send me your information. It would be greatly appreciated if you could please contact me directly at 303.963.8125 or at [email protected]

I look forward to hearing from you,

homeontherange Sep 22, 2010

Re the previous comment: what a hunk of bull. I had a similar problem with Service Magic -- a terrible roofer. Once it became apparent that they would have to actually live up to the so-called service guarantee, Service Magic pulled a vanishing act. I had to take the roofer to court. Avoid!

SMSupport Sep 23, 2010

Hello Home on the Range-

I am sorry to hear about your circumstances and I would be more than happy to try to amend your situation as well. If you could please contact me directly that would be greatly appreciated. I can be reached at 303.963.8125 or at [email protected]

homeontherange Sep 23, 2010

Oh please. It's too late. I'm suing the guy. Save your p.r. gestures for the people who haven't been conned already.

homeontherange Sep 23, 2010

Let me elaborate on that a little bit. After Service Magic failed me, I hired another roofer to fix the job, and it cost me $1350. Suing the roofer for that in Small Claims.

So what are you going to do, Angela Doss? Reimburse me for the $1350? The "limited service guarantee" is $500 max, if you jump through all the hoops (first having to beg the incompetent repair guy to pretty please do it right this time) so even if you did make a p.r. gesture at this late date it wouldn't begin to cover the cost.

Another thing people ought to know. Take a look at the actual "limited service guarantee." http://www.servicemagic.com/rfs/aboutus/serviceGuaranteeDetail.jsp Oh it's "limited" all right. It's so full of loopholes it's a pretzel. Look at one of them: it doesn't apply "For breaches of contractual obligations or agreements between you and the service professional." Since all bad workmanship is a breach of contract, (an implied warranty), you're just basically out of luck.

homeontherange Sep 27, 2010

PS Just found out there is something called "screen a pro" you can use to find out if a contractor is on the SM network. My crook roofer still is, and I'll bet that plumber still is too.

• Th
    TheFinalWord Mar 16, 2011

clydesmom Jul 19, 2012

Service Magic is a total scam. They are a joke! Do not do business with these people!

&The worst way to earn business&

1. Non-refundable membership cost

2. False leads sent to you, charges applicable and non-refundable

3.Consumes lead charges from 3-4 different contractors or companies, non will be refundable

4.they call "credit back to your account" not your bank account, the account with Service Magic, the money in your bank account will never be credited it has already been charged.

5. You will be sent leads that are not in your category or leads that are old, in the meantime, you will be charged for the lead and you will call to claim a false lead or a lead that does not belong in your category, in the meantime you did pay for the false lead and the "credit" you had from the previous lead will not be used instead your "credit" just grows, in other words you will never see your "credit" decrease just increase and your bank account decrease.

6. They claim contractors nationwide are and have grown thanks to Service Magic, that these contractors will happily continue growing with ServiceMagic's service. You ask for these "happily growing contractors" information and you will notice that they will start a dodge and dance move, this "growing contractors" are a false advertising pitch that makes ServiceMagic grow.

7.You call to cancel your membership, knowing that they will keep your non-refundable membership, (which is OK, you knew that when you signed up), but, you want to cancel membership because you don't want to be paying for false leads, so you have money in your "credit" once you cancel you will not be reimbursed your credit back to your bank account. ServiceMagic will keep your money, as a matter of fact they try talking you back into their membership for free, they want to keep lynching off your bank account with false leads.

I will never ever be or do any "ANY" business with Service Magic, I feel sorry for Service Magic on how they earn their business, I hope that this helps contractors or companies looking to partnership with Service Magic, don't do it! you will come back to this page and elaborate on this post and explain your own experience.

"Service Magic" a bad business partnership, bad business conduct, unjustifiable charges, overall Service Magic will grow with bad business practices, They are the mold that grows!!!

Deceptive sales practice

Do not fall for their deceptive sales practices. Do not work for them. Stay as far away as possible from this company. Lastly, do not give them your SS# or your credit card number! You have been fairly warned! I have heard so many other complaints against this company from so many people. The same complaints are giving out private information such as SS# and credit card #'s to finding that some contractors are still paying for leads when they are no longer part of the system. You still pay even if you do not land the job. No thanks, one more dot.com scam and very poor customer service.

noscamsplease May 26, 2010

I have to agree and from the customer's side. I dont think they do the checking they said, because one contractor got listed who ripped me off big time and horrors he was listed! There is no way they checked him out for good work, ethics, and all the supposed list they have. I dont like that they charge the contractors so much for just a lead (should be less) and its a conflict of their own interest OBVIOUSLY to reject a bad client (that means loss revenue to them).

• Re
    Rencon enterprises Mar 04, 2011

I am a General Contractor Renovation Construction Enterprises Inc. i have just canceled with them over the fifty dallor they took from me over a lead that was no good. They have mislead me from the begining .Do not fall for their deceptive sales practices. Do not work for them. Stay as far away as possible from this company. Lastly, do not give them your SS# or your credit card number! You have been fairly warned! I have heard so many other complaints against this company from so many people. The same complaints are giving out private information such as SS# and credit card #'s to finding that some contractors are still paying for leads when they are no longer part of the system. You still pay even if you do not land the job.

• Re
    Rencon enterprises Mar 04, 2011

Sevice magic is a modern day scam artists, telling you ane thing then do another, they are scaming the contractor, sending wrong lead info, not chegking out the consumer, when they are not ready to do any work for 6 months, taking your money first, than wanting to credit you 2-3 weeks later. Misleading you from day one, because if you new how they take your money an you have no control, an you have to fight tooth an nail to get it back .You would be smart an never join. Take it from me, thay have burned me for the last $50.00 they will ever get from me. PEASE, DONT BE TAKEN IN BY THEM.!!!

Unprofessional painter

Painter did not have all the supplies to do the job and walked on my hardwood floors with paint on shoes. He misrepresented his credentials. A nice kid but not professional. Very messy and I won't use Service Magic again. He did not do what he said to me he would. A small job-to clean and paint my radiators. You should screen out your applicants.

Heating Radiators were suppose to have been scaped and sanded with one coat of primer and one coat of finished paint. He only had finished paint and just scraped theradiators the loose paint.

noscamsplease May 26, 2010

homeontherange Sep 27, 2010

I had a similar situation with a roofer, and I just fond out (using their "screen a pro") that he is still with Service Magic. AVOID!

clydesmom Jul 19, 2012

We got ripped off by company they recommended - went to file with BBB and discovered complaints had already been filed against this company - told Service Magic and they said they don't even check with the BBB. Stay away!

Lousy leads

In the past two years I have gotten 20+ "leads" from Service Magic for architectural services. Exactly 1 resulted in an actual job. I was only able to actually speak with 5 of the leads and those were only tire kickers. If Service Magic would contact the lead to verify they are real and actually interested in the service they inquired about, the lead quality would be vastly improved, but obviously they take in more money by providing junk leads to their "service professionals". I would not recommend Service Magic to anyone who doesn't want to waste their time and money.

• Rs
    R. Southard Oct 15, 2010

Service Magic’s whole system is predicated on greed and profit. I sometimes think they solicit people to submit bogus leads, just so they can charge for them. I have had a few conversations with their contractor reps in regards to the lead quality and it seems to be disregarded. With a growing number of unhappy contractors and consumers you wonder how long they are going to stay in business.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices