Complaints & Reviews

Arch angel construction company

I hired this company to put on a new roof & to build me an Arizona room out of my back patio. I stupidly paid them up front and they put on the roof while I was at work and after a long time with me calling and calling, they finally came to do the room. Well they were hired on March 25, 2020. As of yet the room is not finished. They also put in very small windows while again I am at work and when I saw this, I had a fit. I told them, if they didn't know what a Az. room looked like to look it up. Needless to say, They changed the windows, but they are not what it should look like. They also left the room with no baseboards and no caulking and not finishing anything. I am very disgusted and I am suing them. They took my $20, 000. $10, 000 for the roof and $10, 000. for the room and didn't complete the work. They tell my son they are on the way and we wait & wait and they never show. I know they don't intend to come back and finish anything. They are CROOKS, and must be stopped. You site has them on, but honestly they will only steal from other people the way they stole from me. I am a widow and they feel they can get away with an lady by herself. I would like to hear back from you about this horrible matter. My name is Rosalie Fornaro and my phone number is : [protected]. Thank You, I will be waiting for your call. Sincerely, Rosalie Fornaro, a very upset customer.

advertising my hvac services

When I started setting up my account with Angie's list (not even finish my online accounts) they got me providing my business bank account, and they said my monthly will be $400 Dollars but I didn't commit for it because it's too much.
Meanwhile I dint know that they already started of withdrawing the money from my account...no leads no fallow-up from them about the on-going business. They said I'm not picking up my phone but they not even left a message with regards to the leads, or at least gave me a warning that my business with them is already started since six months ago.
Anyhow, I just found out from my bank that my business account is already overdrawn because of them.
When I spoke to them they said...when I sighed up I already agreed to everything which is I'm not aware of just because No leads or work that' I'm getting or coming from them within 6 six months.

unethical behaviors, hidden 35% (of $3,600) cancellation fee.

I investigated Angie's List for a repair business I was planning operating on a business license, not a contractors license, limiting me to $500 per job .
I was not sure Angie's list had non contractors, I informed them I was in the process of getting a business license. I was told everything was fine they had a handyman section, I could always modify my ad as required, they got my card # to start the "account"/ ad, I was told a lady was to follow up and complete my setup, they had a $300 a month setup that I was doubtful would be worth in my case as I was planning on performing $29 AC or Heater tune ups, I would need 10 jobs a month to pay that with me making zero actually costing me about $50 in gas alone, plus my work is seasonal, 5 months a year nobody calls for heat or AC service, I was not convinced it was worth doing for me.
I was stricken with a kidney stone that turned out to be 2nd stage renal cell carcinoma, kidney cancer, needless to say I put off any idea of working for awhile, I never completed the setup, they had an incorrect phone number listed for my ad they posted with HVAC Contractors, not handymen!
The ad they posted was a sorry excuse to bill me for nothing provided. I emailed them informing them of my status and next thing you know I am billed another $300 despite my having kidney cancer and never completing the setup. Angie's list was obtuse and simply plodded ahead billing me, ignoring me, posting an ad that was pathetic in comparison to the rest, it had no graphic art or pictures, no reviews and it had a NA across the face of the page! And the phone # they posted was not mine!
Somehow they had my phone # to leave voice mails ignoring my status, they took out my last $700 and next thing you know they keep trying to take money out disregarding my status, they actually tried with lower amounts until they tricked my credit union into covering $260 which put my account about - $250. I had to file a complaint and cancel my card to stop the robbing of my funds, I never got a single job nor was I ever legally able to perform any work yet, I was allegedly vetted? how that could happen is beyond me, they obviously disregarded their alleged vetting so they could bill my account as if everything was fine and I was valid and legal. I got the bank to repay me the $260 however the $6oo + they nabbed from me I have to sue them for in small claims which I am doing.
Angie's list came up with a hidden cancellation fee of 35% of 1 years worth of ads! What kind of a business charges you to cancel if it is not paying off for you financially? They expect everyone to gamble with owing35% of $3, 600 a t a minimum to try out Angie's list to see if it works for you? No they never mention this or nobody would ever sign up.
If you look online they have been doing this same theme repeatedly which evidences a scam, a barely legal way to steal in my opinion.
Walk the line, but keep it legal, barely.
I notice websites using a subscription to bill on a continuous basis unless you cancel it and since you do not know it exists this makes cancelling it impossible, stealing from a dying man is pretty low.

contractor referrals particularly trugreen

So here's the deal with Angieslist.com once they have your info they freely submit it to their "approved" providers even if you don't select them. What happens next is a nightmare. The random contractor then contacts you by phone. Repeatedly. I mean like a different sales person each day from a different phone number. You can't even block their calls. In my case it was Trugreen. I never even considered them but they were on the list. (They also have horrible reviews.) So I guess my advice is use google not Angieslist.com then do your own research. It will save you the frustration of dealing with aggressive sales people on a daily basis. Once your phone number is out there you can't pull it back. I have literally begged Trugreen to stop calling me.

charged for nothing

I never permitted them to renew my membership, however, they did it for some reason. I also never permitted...

Improper matched reviews of customer to contractor!

We are a well known and trusted Roofing-Siding-Windows contractor here in Boston for the past 30 years whom Angies List repeatedly tries to recruit for membership.

Angies List has a bad customer review listed stating we are a "scam artist".

Ads by ZINC

Upon a new recruitment call from Angies List they informed us we had only 1 bad review on their site. I informed them I do not know this client.

I explained to the recruiter we have competition in this area with names very similiar to ours and you must call this reviewer back for clarification and remove us from this bad review, then we can talk further about joining Angies List.

I was told the review cannot be changed once entered (rather Angies List could not be bothered to correct the review)

I ask you all...Isn't the purpose of Angies List to introduce good contractors to homeowners through proper vetting?

This is the basis of Angies List existance.

Or...is it just to make money with complete disregard to hard working and honest contractors.

A USA Today article states Angies List stocks have fallen 50% in 12 consective months and most analysts have a bear stance on this company.

Forbes headline article states: "Aint it time to say goodbye to Angies List"

Yes, I think so.

Useless service

I really needed to find a doctor and decided to try Angie's List. It was an emergency and I did not even had time to check the reviews. So I signed up and paid some money for their service. When I wanted to check the doctors list I found out that I have to pay more!! What? So what for I paid before?? This site is a total scam, you basically have to pay for every click! Ok, since I really needed a doctor I paid again and then I found out that there are no reviews!! There was just a list of doctors, their addresses and phones, but no information like how professional they were, are they trustworthy or not. Useless website!

Rip off alert

Scott Veerkamp is a member of Angie's List...? I have filed multiple complaints against Scott. Please take time to review the following information... Warning Letter To Scott Veerkamp From The Office Of The Indiana Attorney General. Warning Letter.pdf (51 KB) Scott Veerkamp is the President of the Franklin Township School Board and a member of the National Association of Realtors. Please ask Scott to post a copy of his WARNING letter from the office of the Indiana Attorney General. In addition, please encourage Scott to provide a written response to items 1-16 on this website.

Items 1-8 in group A: 1. I have documentation of a WARNING letter that was sent to Scott Veerkamp from the office of the Indiana Attorney General. 2. This letter was sent to Scott in November of 2008. 3. Here are the questions I have regarding this letter: A. Is a WARNING letter supposed to be an example of how Scott Veerkamp was "exonerated" by the office of the Indiana Attorney General? B. Can Scott post a copy of his WARNING letter for the public to review? 4. Please explain how a $1, 440 Yield Spread Premium "protects and promotes the interest of your client." FYI: The federal government has banned the use of YSP. 5. Please explain how a $4, 799 Yield Spread Premium "Serves Others First." This is in reference to your OTHER client in Wanamaker, IN. 6. Please provide documentation that shows how you "protected and promoted the interest of your client" when you attempted to sell a $120, 000 property on a land contract with a "due on sale clause." 7. Please explain how you honored your fiduciary responsibility to your client when you made approximately $26, 000 on a $120, 000 property listed with REMAX Central in your own neighborhood. 8. Please provide documentation that shows how you "did your very best" when you refused to conduct an open house on a property located "one block down the street" from the house you were living in. Items 9-16 in group B: 9. Apparently, $26, 000 was not enough money to justify Scott driving "one block down the street" to conduct an open house on the $120, 000 property. 10. David Worley used to work for Scott Veerkamp at REMAX Central. Scott had an appraisal conducted on the $120, 000 property in response to my complaint. The appraisal was conducted by Bill Worley. Are David Worley and Bill Worley related? 11. Scott refers to me as licensed real estate agent. I would like for Scott to provide documentation that supports this statement. 12. Please explain why you removed my property from the multiple listing service after I filed my complaint with MIBOR. How was I supposed to sell this property if you refuse to conduct an open house? How was I supposed to sell this property if you remove it from the MLS? 13. The National Association of Mortgage Brokers stated it is not necessary to pay an application fee. Please explain how a $960 application fee keeps the interest of your client "first and foremost." 14. NAMB says processing fees are a violation of their code of ethics because "they're generally not related to any actual service performed by a broker." Please explain how a $500 processing fee "protects and promotes the interest of your client." 15. Scott ran an advertisement in Christian Phone Book with the following statement: "We will do our very best to help you get the lowest possible interest rates at the lowest possible price." A. Please provide documentation that explains how a $4, 799 Yield Spread Premium represents "the lowest possible interest rate." B. Likewise, please explain how a $960 application fee represents "the lowest possible price." 16. ISBA Code of Ethics: Please provide documentation that shows how you "met the responsibilities to your community" when you steered people into high cost loans. I look forward to a written response from Scott Veerkamp on items 1-16.

• In
    intellex58 Jul 12, 2011

Sounds like someone is pissed because they can’t unload their house that is reminiscent of a crack den. Instead of facing the truth that your house sucks and nobody wants it, it is just easier to blame the realtor.

Scott veerkamp scam

Warning Letter.pdf (51 KB)

I look forward to a written response from Scott Veerkamp on items 1-16.

Jim Bruggenschmidt

NAR: Predatory Lending Information

Center for Responsible Lending: Seven Signs of Predatory Lending

Center For Responsible Lending: YSP document...

CRL and Equity Theft:

Jeff Merkley and Yield Spread Premium:

Warning letter to Scott Veerkamp:

Scott refuses to drive (one block) to conduct an open house:

Scott Veerkamp owes money:

Lousy Big Deal

The big deal works like this: you get an email from Angie's List with a discounted service (tree...

Stay away

Angies List is a for profit business that attempts to give reports on good expereinces and bad experiences on business's around the US.

Angies List advertises that, companies do not pay to be listed on our service, consumers do.

BUT,

Nothing stops business owners from paying for the service and writing something positive about their own business..

How do consumers know that the person posting something positive about the business does not have financial gain from doing so?

• Ke
    Kevin Jun 28, 2009

BUT,

If you want to do a more detailed background check on business, I reccomend going to the Better Business Bureau.

• Jc
    jcmann01 Aug 20, 2012

Yes, I business can and sometimes do write reviews to enhance their own reputation, but this is not the norm for most businesses, unless they are trying to counteract a lot of bad reviews, which make their attempts terribly obvious. If this is your only complaint about Angie's List, they must be doing OKAY.

• Ho
    hotrod351 Dec 23, 2012

agree with the statement = stay away, i know for a fact that they will let unlicensed contractors post on there site. AirServe is the worse. they only have a business license, no contractors license for the heating and air conditioning work they falsely advertise as being licensed for. what a joke.

• To
    tomhorn Dec 30, 2013

I agree with stay away from Angie's List. I'm a small business owner who has never agreed to part of Angie's List but had a customer that posted a positive review and with just that it put us on there list without any options. I found out that we had two other reviews about our company that was posted on AL that I haven't done business with, one positive and on negative. After a long ordeal and dealing with Angie's list CSR I would say that there business is really flawed and can hurt a small business. Something should be done about this as that one bad posting could of cost us who knows how much business. What keeps a bad business from posting good reviews to booster there ratings? NOTHING, so it is BOGUS flawed business model. We never wanted to be a part of Angie's list social media process and feel like we are being forced to be a part of it now. Something should be done about this.