Having problems with HomeAdvisor?

1877 800 3177 (Customer Service)
+1 303 963 7200 (Head Office)
14023 Denver West Pkwy, Suite 200
Sat7:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Sun7:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Complaints & Reviews

membership

this mark computer repair i sign up with homeadvisor month ago and when i sign up they told is membership fee and is no obligation to cancel anytime on the phone so after 2 days i call ed to cancel but they hang up on me and trying to gave me a credit of 100 dollars to try it again and after one week i called back to cancel the membership they told no refund so i called my credit card company to dispute the amount so homeadvisor send me to collection instead of reply back to the dispute i did thru my credit card company even i didn't sign any paper

charges, billing

Enrolled with Home Advisor effective 8/30/2018 - annual fee of $347.98 deducted from our account. We Requested only Alarm and Camera Job leads . During a two week period we were billed an additional $518.68 for leads, of the $518.68 only two of the leads were for Alarm and/or Camera jobs. The billing for those two was $33.75 leaving a balance of $484.93 for job leads in field/area not requesting. We have requested our account closed with them. Emailed Home Advisor several times to correct the issue, no response. We have since closed our credit card so Home Advisor would not continue to charge our credit card. Spent over an hour on the phone 9/28/2018 with one of the supervisors from Home Advisor, who acknowledge we were billed in error, but that Home Advisor would NOT refund us for their error of charging us for Lead Types we had not requested We have requested a refund of our money several times, but as of today we have not received any refunds for their errors.

pro business services

Recently I inquired about how Home Advisor worked for professionals. Miles got in touch with me and answered my questions. At that time I decided it wouldn't be a good fit for our company and I told Miles that. He wouldn't take no for an answer. Since then I have been getting harassing emails from him. It's scary that he also has access to all of my contact information including my address. I've politely asked him to remove my information, I've been unsubscribing to their emails and for some reason I still get lots of emails for leads and from Miles as well. See email below. He crossed the line. I have stopped answered my phone for him but never hung up on him. He no longer leaves voicemails but will call a couple times in a row a few times a day.

pro business services

HomeAdvisor

bait and switch - fraud

DO NOT USE HomeAdvisor PRO. They lie and help themselves to your money. We signed up for this service in February. We were sold by a girl named Olivia, we were under the impression we would be working directly with her.

We were surprised when we were directed to an 800 number where we were on hold for an HOUR and fifteen minutes before talking to a person about the charges on our account. Olivia had told us we would only receive leads from verified homeowners and the cost was normally $60 dependant on the service.

We set up our account and the leads we received were not real. We had numbers that were wrong, services we didn't offer, and locations we didn't reach. We even had a lead, that when Googled, was DEAD. The leads were also $100+!

We tried to cancel after a month and the guy said he'd give us a refund and give us five free leads. He told us they were starting a new "opportunity" service where we only accept the leads we're interested in and are charged when the homeowner accepts the match. We thought it sounded a bit better so we stuck it out.

We just discovered our card has been charged for leads we didn't even get! I called customer service and this "lovely" gal named Brandi Prett told us she was the supervisor and as high as we could go. She kept interrupting me and wouldn't listen to a thing I said when I tried to explain that we shouldn't have had our card charged. She kept saying they don't refund leads and they don't guarantee them and we should know that. She told us if we didn't want to be charged we should turn our leads off. They have been off for months! She refused to do anything even when we said we wanted to close our account.

We've started disputes with our credit card company and will be looking into all avenues to prevent this corrupt business from stealing from any other small business owners.

• Le
    Leah Russell Oct 31, 2019

Wow! I'm going through the same thing right now! I signed up with them on October 24th and they have already taken $300 out of my account 3 times! $900 in 7 days!!!They promised $600 would go back into my account on the 29th and 5 free leads if I don't cancel and guess what still not in my account. All contractors should come together and do something about this company.

unauthorized credit card charges and too many false charges.

HI there,
I would like to cancel my account because its totally scam. You guys charging for nothing just for sending me info. WHY?
At the beginning you didn't tell me that gonna be charges for every lead. I don't wanna pay all those leads below..
04/28/2018 - $92.45
04/29/2018 - $61.63
04/29/2018 - $92.45
04/30/2018 -$41.11
05/02/2018 -$92.44
05/03/2018 -$61.63
05/11/2018 - $61.67
05/14/2018 -$41.11
05/15/2017 - $61.63 Those charges just for leads that we didn't even completed. PLEASE cancel my account immediately. My account has to be zero balance. If i do have something to pay just send me an invoice. I am DONE.

Alex family painting, LLC
My account # is [protected]

home advisor scam misleading sales force - no refunds after 72 hours

What a joke and a rip off. The salesman called me over and over and kept saying how they were owned by Angies List and totally legit. I see the complaint over and over. They take your $347 and tell you if you get a lead you have the option take it or call and set up appointment. What they don't tell you is that you are charged for every lead they give you even if it is an answering machine and no one calls back. They also said they would send random complimentary leads. Man was I surprised at how lame their leads were. The first four I received I thought were complimentary I gave them a call to see the quality of lead. Got an answering machine on all of them and no calls back. Then I find out that I am charged average of $50 each for these dead leads. I understand there is no guarantee of a lead but this is not what they advertise they told me I would not be charged for dead leads where I don't reach anyone. Ripoff then after 72hours they wont give your $347 back. Huge scam don't get ripped off by this service huge ripoff. Never ever again. I am thinking of cancelling my Angies List account as well because they were so dishonest.

don't give them a try

very smart, but dishonest. if you keep going that way, you will lose all of your customers.
once you've got a problem, they will find a point in their policies that will be surely against you. Even if they don't have it there, they will make it up and change their rules. It's easy for them, they don't honor anything. Customers are no right and have no opinions when it comes to issues with HomeAdvisor. Oh god, what a terrible place.

Unethical behaviour

Home Advisor is a complete scam for contractors. They only care about their contractors paying them, whether the lead is good or not. I have received exceptionally more bad leads than good, or even valid. Because they don't verify their customers. Overall, I think it's the worst lead based service out there based on how many false and bogus leads they have no problem sending, and charging the contractor for. And the vast majority of them are NOT cheap. They range anywhere from $15-$120!!! The contractor does not get a say whether or not, he or she would like to accept the lead. This results in bad leads coming through all the time that the contractor get's stuck paying for. Whether the customer did not input valid information, purposeful or otherwise, another business is scouting out the competition, or the customer is simply just inebriated on a Saturday night playing around with internet, and consequently, contractor's pocket books. It's a long, painful process to get refunded that only sometimes works if you sit on hold for 30 minutes waiting to scream at them after being escalated to a supervisor. And the automated system they have in place that is supposed to make it easier, simply doesn't work. None of this matters to their greedy business model. Because of this, they can't offer the cream of the crop in contractors, but just unsuspecting start up company's. Once a company gets a good reputation, and has been in business for a while, there is no sense in letting Home Advisor steal from your bottom line any longer. Obviously, there is an exception to this rule because I have been in business for 10 years with NO bad reviews and have been involved off and on with Home Advisor. But today was my final straw and I will no longer be offering them access to my stellar business practice and quality of work. As many other smart, reputable businesses have done in the past. This makes Home Advisor almost as bad for homeowners as contractors. Because the homeowner is not getting well established, excellent contractors to choose from in most cases. This is also contrary to how Home Advisor tries to market itself. But in truth, Angie's List has much better quality contractors available. As well as other lead based services. I would not recommend any homeowner, or contractor utilize Home Advisor. All you have to do is look on the web for reviews, or their BBB complaints to see that the vast majority of people agree. They are littered with complaints and bad reviews. I would not be able to stay in business like that, why can Home Advisor?

unhappy customer 2000 Nov 16, 2017

Home advisor seems only to publish the good reviews and fails to acknowledge the truthful complaints against a contractor

Unwanted solicitation, false charges, false promises

My firm did business with home advisor over a year ago to a horrific business experience and false charges for non legitimate leads. Like painters looking for work not a job lead for my painting firm needless to say after horrible wrangling with them they issued me some credits.

After over a year knew this was not working out too much money for nothing. Took forever to get the crooks to cancel but finally they did; but recharged me for 380.00 for every hard fought credit and threatened collection if I did not pay.

Paid the crooks and then blocked credit card Now some horribly pushy aggressive salesperson is continually calling my registered do not c all cell phone to try to get me to re-up and give a credit card AND NEW SCAM TRYING TO ALSO CHARGE A SIGN UP FEE INCREDIBLE

Why they are in business and not shut down by the FTC is a real question. This is not to say the contractors relying on this co. for business are bad. THIS IS JUST A REALLY BAD OPERATOR AND I URGE ALL CONTRACTORS TO BOYCOTT THEM. Try yelp if you are truly good you will get biz.

Unethical behavior, deceitful sales person called form personal cell to not be recorded.

I am a roofing contractor who was asked to start working with Home Advisor Pro as one of their preferred roofing contractors. One week later and I owe Home Advisor Pro $550-650. I asked the sales lady not to proceed with our account, when there was a problem with our company address listing. Then she calls me back from her personal cell phone with the caller ID blocked, so she would not be recorded misleading me into their scam. She then signs me up after I told her not to and we start getting leads before I even knew we signed up. Plus the three leads; which cost about $70 each, on top of the $350 yearly subscription, turned out to be a waste of our time. No contractor should use this service; unless that contractor already charges too much for their services.

Bogus leads- SCAM

HomeAdvisor, formerly ServiceMagic WASTED MY MONEY. I am a contractor and signed up with them a couple months ago, only to find that most my time was being spent submitting "Credit Requests" for bogus leads they charged me for, instead of me going out and servicing clients.

After submitting "credit requests" for a number of bogus lead, they did not want to refund my money. I fought with them for a whole month and they came up with reasons as to why they weren't refunding my money. After I disputed this with my credit card company, they now sent it to collections!

In my opinion, HomeAdvisor is a HORRIBLE SERVICE. It was nothing but a money pit for me, NEVER AGAIN.

• Ho
    HomeAdvisorSupport Jun 10, 2014

Hi "Unhappycontractor" -

I'm sorry to hear about your concerns with the account and the leads you received. We do offer lead replacements on a case-by-case basis and could review your account with you to see what happened here. You can reach me at 303-963-8066 and I will make sure to have someone review your account.

HASupport

Selling Private Information

I used this service several years ago when it was still called Service Magic and had very good luck. I recently used them again and was inundated with calls and emails weeks afterwards form businesses not related to Home Advisor. I have been literally harassed by these calls and emails. I am very angry and upset as I specifically requested they not give out my personal information. It is unfortunate that what was a decent company would do this they have lost me as a customer I am telling everyone I know not to use this service.

• Ho
    HomeAdvisorSupport Jul 16, 2013

Hi "vshu2" -

I'm sorry to hear about your concerns with your experience with us. When you submit in a service request for a home project, we match you with up to four professionals in your area and exchange the information to both you and the professionals. We recommend that our professionals follow up with you to see what they can help you with. I would like to discuss your concerns with you in further detail. You may reach me directly at 303-963-8066 or [email protected]

Thanks,

HASupport

Unfair Business Practices

I have been a client of Home Advisors for quite some time, and received many leads from them, some good, some bad. I have some crazy stories from the places they have sent me after I paid for a lead to bid for work, including a drug addict single mom offering me sexual favors in exchange for work. I still had to pay for that lead.
Today really frustrated me though. I received at least 10 leads today for small jobs, which I paid for as I received the lead. I then contacted each homeowner to see when I could schedule a time to look at the work and give them a bid. One of the customers told me she had received 25 calls today from other construction workers, and she never even requested the work.
Apparently she saw some link on facebook for a free gift, being offered by Home Advisors, but never asking for anyone to perform any work at her home. I chatted online with someone from their customer service dept. and was told they were not able to refund the money since they received a request for work and I accepted the job. I told them the hole facebook thing, but they wouldn't budge. I am now waiting for a manager to respond, but if this is not refunded I will never work with them again.
As far as I am concerned it is fraud, and very deceptive to the customer, who never wanted to be a customer.

Service magic scam

As a small business owner, I try to treat my employees and customers well and trust my vendors to do the same. However, in August 2012, I disputed charges for my Service Magic Professional account. To my surprise, they flatly refused to provide documentation! (that’s not suspicious, right?). I closed my account but proposed settlement in modest monthly payments to avoid collection fees and credit damage AND (here was my mistake), provided my debit card number in good faith. They assured me that they would consider it and call back. That was the last I heard for months…

Fast forwarding to yesterday, October 22, 2012. To my complete surprise and without any authorization, Service Magic has debited my card for the full amount. Pay day is Thursday and now I can’t cover payroll! I call Service Magic to ask them to reverse the charges and they respond (NOT MAKING THIS UP) that as long as they have my debit card number they can charge as much as they want whenever they want! Desperate to cover payroll and honestly pretty angry too, I tell them that I am going to call my bank and stop payment. She responds (AGAIN, NOT MAKING THIS UP) that she will continue to charge my card for the full amount every day if I do that! I demand a manager and a few hours later (which I spend urgently trying to think of some way to cover payroll for these employees who are trusting that I will pay them for their hard work so they can support their families) a manager calls back, reads me my email suggesting settlement, and then tells me that if I agree (which is a lie-I only proposed, never approved) to settlement, it can be any amount due.

Well, I found their CEO on Linked In and emailed him and filed a complaint with the TX and CO Attorney General’s Offices, but I just wanted other business owners to know that it is better to generate your own leads or at least work with a company that will provide a foundation for their charges. As far as I’m concerned, if Service Magic can’t prove that they earned it, then it is fraudulent.

• Th
    The builderman May 30, 2013

I have been with SM and home advisor since 7/2010 and I think that the above comment must be true as well. I have not had the exact experience but they have tried and succeeded many times in scamming more of my money from me. i have called numorus times and although the customer service people are polite they are rarely helpful and you will need to contact them often to dispute charges (they do help here) as they are deliberately confusing to the average home owner trying to entice erroneous leads they can charge for in hopes that their customers wont all ask for credit requests.
    I have had their own supervisors tell me that they had a bad call and would issue requests to everyone who got the bad lead. Well they didn't till I called and asked when.
    Stay away from this company

• Em
    emkm Jun 27, 2013

This makes me question whether or not I should continue using Home Advisor for future project in my home. I don't want to work with contractors who are unhappy with the company they received the referral from. I'd like to know that Home Advisor is treating their contractors fairly, and without such nasty responses to the contractors. I will have to do more research on Home Advisor and may have to reconsider using them in the future.

unhappy with HA Oct 19, 2013

I feel sorry for contractors who pay for this service. When I called Home Advisor looking for a contractor I specifically stated that I didn't want to receive calls. They told me that they would give me the name and number of the contractors so that I could reach out to them. Before I even got off the phone with Home Advisor, I had received 2 calls. Unfortunately for the contractors, since HA didn't properly screen my needs, those contractors weren't able to assist me and therefore paid for a lead that is a dead end. For the rest of the day, I didn't answer the other calls that came in if I didn't recognize the number. I have asked HA to delete me from their database and have thus far not received any cooperation from them. ( I guess that with the vast database, they can tell you guys how great their numbers are!) I asked (many times) for the name of the CEO and they were not willing to provide me with that information either (which is public information) unless I told them who I was - Yes, after some research, I have found that it is Chris Terrill and the parent company is IAC. ( I will be reaching out to Mr Terrill as well as the CEO of the parent company) As a contractor, I would hesitate to do business with and pay a company that won't freely give the name of the CEO to a consumer who requests it. I cannot trust a company that isn't transparent.

• Ro
    Robert Macali Dec 16, 2013

I wrote a review on the Home Advisor website. The contractor I spoke with failed to show-up, which infuriated me since the first day was a Friday, and the following day Saturday. Two appointments, and neither fulfilled. I had canceled other things I needed to do on both of these days anticipating the arrival of the handyman. The contractor wasted my time. Not only that, but I inconvenienced my tenant since some of the work was needed in their unit and was necessary for me to give them notice.

Therefore, I felt it necessary to write the review to alert other consumers like me about the unprofessional conduct, and alert Home Advisor that one of their contractors was a total flake. One day after posting my review, I got a telephone call from a Home Advisor Rep who asked questions of my complaint. I explained the entire scenario to her. Though seemingly sympathetic, she said thay my review may not be posted on their website since there was no actual work done! Apparently, Home Advisor doesn't care enough that I was inconvenienced two times by one of their recommended contractors. It appears that it's ok to inconvenience consumers and not necessary to alert the general public on their website. They're only interested in making money from the leads they provide to contractors, and use their "reviews from customers" to only enhance their business, not to tell the truth.

I will never deal with this unprofessional concern in the future, and advise that others find another source for services.

• Mo
    Moose Mountain Dec 21, 2013

I am a mason contractor who lives in a pretty rural area. I signed up because my son had used it in another state with some success. It was over the phone since I had trouble getting on their website. A real salesy smchmooser. Anyway, the first "lead" was someone who never called back despite many attempts to contact. That cost me $11. Second was a lady with a stuck damper who never called back after the first contact, this lead cost me $12. Third was someone who said they never requested our type of service, that cost $19. I called to complain and was told they had no control over the customers. I threatened to cancel and they gave me a $100 credit against future leads. Figuring this would last awhile at $10-20 a lead, I continued. Well, suddenly the lead prices went up. They can't tell you how much a lead will be, it depends on the "category". Right. Next lead costs me $34 and it was a service I did not even offer. Then 2 more leads within a week and these were $58 and $32!! The $58 one was 45 miles away, a guy who almost fainted when I gave him a price of $400 to grind out cracks in his foundation and seal with hydraulic cement. Why did this lead cost $58? Who knows, they make up the rules as they go along. You will see no mention of them on the website, kept intentionally vague so they can rip off you folks who are NOT PAYING ATTENTION!! Mind you, I had put a cap of $100/month and these last 4 leads were all in November. So net loss to me $68 for nothing. I called customer service and they were jerks, actually threatened me that if I did a chargeback it would go to collections and they would add another $20 on each time that I would have to pay. No one will take a $68 collection case like this; they are liars that money is added, usually it is just forgotten as soon as they know you have a good reason for not paying it. So I am in the process of a chargeback.

• As
    Ash Springs Dec 28, 2018

@Moose Mountain Out of curiosity did you win your chargeback, I am in the midst of the same situation.

Making All Things New Jan 17, 2014

I have a small family run Painting and Deck Restoration business in The Omaha NE area. I started using Home Advisor services in September 2013. At first things were going okay, then my statement came in and I was charged $134.99 for the month, which had been set to be paid in four payments. I called and was told I was mistaken, that every quarter a charge of $134.99 is paid. That was error 1, the next month I must have received at least $500 worth of bad leads. Customers who never asked for estimates for painting, customers who had already hired a painter, and customers who were only seeking information. When I called about these concerns of paying for leads, and spending my time and wasting customers time, I was told Home Advisor had no control over customers and their choices. Spent over an hour on phone and came away with a $9.33 credit towards future leads. The following month, same issues, terrible leads, customers who didn't ask for services upset I was calling, and once again paying money to this company I didn't have, but was willing to invest into the idea. I called in December and vented to a real nice customer service lady, she sounded like she understood my struggles and concerns. She spoke to a manager, and came back telling me there was nothing she could do. I told her I would give Home Advisor two weeks to change quality of leads I was receiving, and if nothing changed, I was leaving. Well its the New Year and I've received four leads this year, three were bad, and one was good. I called this afternoon to cancel my account. To my surprise, they didn't even try to keep me or give me a reason to want to stay, "not that I was going to". If a customer calls me with a concern towards work I've completed, I do everything within my power to correct the issue and make things right. I encourage all small business folks looking into Home Advisor as a service to provide leads or jobs, watch out, research the information out there. To customers, they sell your information to other sources, as they do to contractors. Every time you look at their site about home services, they send out leads to 3-4 contractors who pay for that information. Example: Interior painting of 3-5 rooms, cost to the contractor is about $50. So if sent to 4 contractors, they just made $200 off those folks and these folks may never get that job. I made a big mistake using them. Lost over $1000 on leads and not to mention money spent on gas, flyers, calling, and bugging good people who didn't need to be bugged.

• La
    LavenderFemChi Oct 06, 2014

As a person looking to hire a contractor.. It's a shame I didn't read this.. Legit Bussiness don't waste your time and money.. I will not hire anyone listed with them..
    This was my experience.. Caution.. Do not rely on Home Advisor as a screening tool.. Do your own home work.. They recommended.. O yeah when I complained they explained they don't recommend.
    The Four recommendations they gave me. 1 stole from me and the same guy charged exorbitant rates.. He was also recommended by my Tankless manufacture as "Authorized" 2nd was Clueless and had no idea how to fix my Tankless water heater, 3rd Unlicensed as a plumber. (According to Home Advisor, in NYC you don't have to have a license to fix tankless water heaters.However, Home Advisor listed him as a plumber and he had a Home Improvement License. 4th.. Refused to clean the burner and vacuumed the unit. Claimed my unit was faulty and I needed a 1, 000 commercial Water heater... Wanted a deposit and wouldn't give a receipt.

• Ri
    Richard A. Rodriguez Oct 14, 2015

I am a roofing contractor who was asked to start working with Home Advisor Pro as one of their preferred roofing contractors. One week later I owe Home Advisor Pro $550-650. I asked the sales lady not to proceed with our account, when there was a problem with our company address listing. Then she calls me back from her personal cell phone with the caller ID blocked, so she would not be recorded misleading me into their scam. She then signs me up after I told her not to and we start getting leads before I even knew we signed up. Plus the three leeds; which cost about $70 each, on top of the $350 yearly subscription, turned out to be a wast of our time. No contractor should use this service; unless that contractor already charge's too much for their services.

• Ro
    Ron Dinkel Apr 04, 2016

I too got scammed by Home advisor. They refused to return my call to cancel on the second day and then said I was out of my three day grace period and could not rescind the contract. I spoke to at leasy 8 people and none on them had any authority and would not connect me to anyone who did have the authority to discuss the request with me. It is obvious that they now manage a scam knowingly. They refused any effort to even have anyone with authority discuss it with me. Their answer was to try to collect and then send it to collections. Continue to contact your AG, BBB, and Golden Chamber of Commerce about their unethical practices.

Jack33763 Jul 08, 2016

I hired a company through Home Advisor to install gutters and gutter guards on my house. The work was not done correctly and had to be redone twice. They did it promptly but I had to have a in-your-face chat with the owner. I went onto the Home Advisor web site and posted a review, giving the facts as they took place. The review never showed up on their website. I sent two emails to them but never received a reply and the review is still not posted. The only reviews of this business are five star reviews whcih leads me to believe that Home Advisor only posts beneficial reviews. To me, that is cause for a complaint to the county and state consumer affairs bureaus which I will do. I'm posting here to warn others that this is a rigged bid. Find your craftsmen and tradesmen via some other route. I can't even get the gutter company to send me a correct bill. they're that bad.

• Ge
    Gerald.smg Jul 24, 2016

How to get over Homeadvisor. They are not going anywhere any time soon. If you are a contractor, the best thing for you to do is what they do but on a much smaller scale. Reviews, if you noticed, seems all contractors on their site have high reviews. We should be doing the same but with something that's more powerful. Interview satisfied and happy clients on video. Upload and and rank in Youtube. You can embed the video on your website. If you have any type of marketing out there, then more than likely people are looking for reviews of your company. Google owns Youtube so if your video is properly done, you will rank high with your own video, have a call to action and point towards your high converting website. This link shows you exactly how to do this... http://goo.gl/TSe7w8 Take control of your own business.

• Ce
    Cecil Casey Sep 16, 2016

I have been a contractor for home advisor for several months and they are a complete fraud. Take my advice and do not sign up to do work for them. They will charge you for leads you never receive and will tell you you have to automaticly accept them. This is a scam and you will never get your money back.

Casey ac service
    humble, texas

Small Provider Mar 24, 2018

• Co
    Conor Watkins Feb 02, 2019

I had my own experience with this fraud of a company and will never try them out again. They keep calling and wanting me to sign back up after having them scam me. I had to change my bank account number to get them off my back and file a chargeback. They threatened to send me to collections and I told them to go ahead but there was no way in hell I was going I would pay. I had only been with them 3 weeks so guess I wasn't going after.

Take a look at these reviews before you try them out and avoid the nightmare

• Lu
    lucidsolutions Jul 06, 2019

I too was scammed by HOMEADVISOR as a contractor. When I signed up, they NEVER mentioned the yearly fee (they DENIED it when I explicitly asked if there was one) or the 3-day return period, and they claimed you ONLY pay for the leads you accept (!). They tricked me into thinking the $287.99 was for the first month's lead fees.

After trying unsuccessfully for a few months to work it out with them and only getting bullied and having my account canceled on me in retaliation, I contested the credit card charge and got the $287.99 refunded. Now about a month later, their collection agency is seeking $410.65 (+42.6% !!) from me and threatening to tack-on +1% per month interest indefinitely until it is paid.

They lied and took almost 300.00 out of my account

I tried this service magic to get leads, and I told them not to take money out of my account for leads to work I never got. well they told me i would get free leads and not have to pay, so i carefully never took more than the free leads. they lied and took almost 300.00 out of my account that i could not afford since i am on social security disability and only receive 924.00 a month. they wont credit my account, and i had to put a stop to their taking more money out of my account since they lied and said they would not again, and changed my debit card with my bank, and now today i got an automated message if i dont pay by friday september 14th it would be sold to a 3rd party collection agency. i am afraid to pay them on the phone or online for fear they will take more money out of my account..please help me.

Malbek Mar 27, 2012

ServiceMagic owns MarketHardware and the two have now been sued in Federal Court for cybersquatting, stealing customers, and other bad faith business practices.

• Th
    th!sman Sep 14, 2012

Did you sign a contract that obligates you to make payments for sometime? If not tell them you no longer require their services. Note down all the details of the call-time, date, who you talked to, etc. Then write them a CMRRR cancelling the service and refer to that conversation on such date, with so and so. Instruct them not to debit your account any more.

If you have to make a payment do not give them your debit card or electronic access to your account. Instead send them a check, CMRRR. They will not claim it arrived later that it did. You can give them a heads up payment is on the way, don't worry about the CA threat.

Google these and be an informed consumer, you will be in a much better position to ward off anybody from near your money.
    1-what to do when you are contacted by a collections agency.
    2-your rights under federal laws FDCPA and FCRA
    3-Validation of debt
    4-cease and desist
    5-CMRRR
    6-Your state's Statute of Limitations (SOL) on debt.
    7-post your questions at debtorboards dot com

SMSupport Sep 19, 2012

Good afternoon "Grincen" -

I am sorry to hear that you are frustrated with your experience with us. Our system is set up to charge on a per lead basis once a week and we do offer lead replacements on a case-by-case basis that we'd be happy to review with you. If you could please, contact me directly at 303-962-8066 or [email protected], I will look into your account with you.

SMSupport

I am very disappointed in the contractors I have gotten through Service Magic

I am very disappointed in the contractors I have gotten through Service Magic, and I no longer use this service as a source for referrals. The contractors pay to be included on the site, so there is no real screening done to ensure that qualified professionals are coming to your home. During the course of a kitchen remodel I had everyone from experienced contractors to outright frauds call me from my Service Magic request for referrals. I would not recommend anyone use this service, but would particularly caution women to be very wary of the contractors coming from this site.

SMSupport Aug 07, 2012

Hello "Diliene" -

I am sorry to hear that you are concerned with the professionals you have been matched with through us. We verify and screen all potential member businesses including searches for criminal convictions, sex offender registry, state-level licensing, civil judgments and others. We then collect direct feedback from homeowners through ratings and reviews. I would like to discuss your concerns more in detail to see if there is anything we can do to help. You may contact me directly at 303.963.8066 or [email protected]

• Co
    Cosheryl Nov 04, 2012

I had a bad experience with one of the referrals. What should of been a simple home project was a disaster and now the contractor is suing me and it keeps escalating with legal threats and intimation not to mention the anxiety and grief I've suffered fighing back what I feel is my consumer rights...thats why I decided to try and go through a referral company thinking they were looking out for us.

NEVER GIVE THEM MONEY UP FRONT first sign of a not so reputable contractor. If they are good at their work, they won't need money up front. Get at least three written estimates and make sure their specific. Look up Consumer Advocates for advice before looking for a contractor. Angies List is very similar. Makes me ill when I see their commercials because you the consumer pays to belong, the contractors do not have to pay anything.

total scam

They give you the name of 3 contractors in your area for whatever job it is that you need done. They say they have a guarantee that if the project isn't right they will contribute up to $500 to make it right. We hired one of the companies they recommended - paid the company half ($750) up front - job was barely started and never finished. We sent Service Magic all the documentation they requested - pictures, estimates to get the job finished, receipt from company we eventually hired to complete the job - then Service Magic says they have determined the request for a refund was not considered fair or reasonable! They never had any intention of helping make the project right by giving us some of our money back. They are completely dishonest - this is such a scam! Avoid Service Magic like the plague! They should be put out of business! When they leave this world they will all be rotting in hell!

SMSupport Jul 19, 2012

Hi "clydesmom" -

I'm sorry to hear that you are frustrated with the company you initially chose and with the dispute process. We do hold our professionals to high standards and we have a team dedicated to looking into these types of situations to see if we can help. I would like to discuss your concerns with you directly and see if there is anything I can help with. You may contact me directly at 303-963-8066 or [email protected]

• Cl
    clydesmom Jul 23, 2012

Don't let Mandy Black fool anyone. This company does NOT care - it's just PR. She doesn't do anything.

Billing/Collections

I know first hand that ServiceMagic is a scam and if all the businesses got together they overcharged for bad leads there could be a class action lawsuit. ServiceMagic currently show 483 complaints filed against them with the BBB and the majority is for billing/collections issues. They never gave me credit for all the wrong leads they sent us, which was 99% of all the leads they sent us, so we disputed the charges with our credit card company. ServiceMagic never responded to their request to show proof the charges were legitimate so they credited our account. Now they have sent us to collection almost a year later 3 times. Incredible, that a company that does business this way is allowed to do so. I'm calling every tv station in our area that has an investigation team and beg for them to look into this. Does anyone smell SCAM spelled ServiceMagic?

SMSupport May 10, 2012

Hello "Unhappy" -

I am sorry to hear that you are frustrated with your account. We do take our complaints very seriously and make every effort to fully take care of our customers. I would like to speak to you directly about your concerns and experience to see if there is anything we can do to help. You may contact me directly at 303.963.8066 or [email protected]

Thank you for your time.

UnhappyinTallmadgeOhio Jun 26, 2012

Service Magic is a huge scam. I am trying to find out the best way to shut them down and get some justice for all the other contractors they have ripped off as well. A class action lawsuit is the way to go but don't know who to contact or get things started. They over charged my account by $80.00 June 2012 and I called them out on it. I asked them to put the money back into my account as they admitted it was their mistake and they said they couldn't do that. They offered me $80 of leads which most are bogus to begin with. They are quick to take your $ out but can't put it back in? Really? They have gone over my agreed monthly amount 2 out of the last 3 months and I am now going further back in my bank records. This is theft and fraud and I am sick of this. Any info. on what steps to take against them would be appreciated

SMSupport Jun 27, 2012

Hi "unhappyinTallmedgeOhion" -

I am sorry to hear that you had some concerns with your billing and the leads. I would like to discuss your account and see if there is anything we can help with. Can you send me an email with your contact information? My direct email is [email protected] or you can reach me by phone at 303-963-8066.

Mandy Black

There is a big lawsuit against ServiceMagic

There is a big lawsuit against ServiceMagic for numerous criminal and civil violations due to overcharging contractors, unlawfully charging canceled accounts, creating false websites under the names of contracting companies, and more. They do no real screening of contractors, so customer experiences are fairly random from contractors, but when there are problems, Service Magic is rarely of any help, despite guarantees. We are not alone in having been massively overcharged by them with no recourse other than to take them to court.

James C. Titley Jul 24, 2012

service magic does not abide by their own rules. They don't deserve having their name capitalized although they try to capitalize on unsuspecting people. . Stay away at all costs. I had to dispute charges on my account because they do not fulfill their end of the business. As a consumer, just look on the Internet for complaints. I have had my fill with their bogus billing as well. They deserve to be investigated for fraudulent business practices. Hopefully, the Attorney General will follow up in The State of Colorado. My mistake for not trusting my intuition on this one. Anyone that has to record you on the phone is probably going to try to use it against you. They don't operate ethically and should be prosecuted for fraud. That is how I feel and is based on my experience with them. I have better things to do then make up false accusations. The above statements are true, however one sided they are.

They will continue to use your company name and even your website long after your account is closed

I had a dispute with a customer over service that I provided. Customer called Service Magic and complained, and SM, without even talking to me at all, cancelled my account. Until then I had nothing but outstanding feedback from all of my customers. Never had a complaint. I had paid over $5000 over several years for leads and had built up a very good reputation in my field. Without notice, SM cancelled my account. They later called and admitted that they had made a mistake, and asked me to come back. Contractors, stay away. They do not care about you. And they will continue to use your company name and even your website long after your account is closed (see lawsuit in above comments) to point people toward their website and away from yours.

SMSupport Apr 10, 2012

Hi "Habuzze" -

I am sorry to hear that you are frustrated with the way the problem resolution process was handled on your account. We do back our customers with a limited service guarantee in the rare occurrence that there is a problem with a service provider. In these situations we try to connect both the professional and consumer to resolve the issue. I would like to discuss your account with you, see what happened and go over your concerns. You can contact me directly at 303.963.8066 or [email protected]

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices