Menu
HomeAdvisor
reviews & complaints

HomeAdvisor
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

137 complaints
22 resolved 115 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of HomeAdvisor. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
4:54 pm

HomeAdvisor - Horrible house cleaning

Horrible RUSHED job. Finished our 2500sf house in 2 hours. Dust and dirt everywhere. Sink was a mess. Did not touch the toaster oven, didnt put the microwave back together and I have no idea how they took it apart. They left their dirty rag on my kitchen counter. Used the same 2 rags for the entire house leaving films of dirt over everything. When I approached them and said they were not doing a good job and were rushing they said that they do not have enough time to do it all and it would take a couple visits to get it clean. They said they dont organize or place things in neat piles, which is all I asked, due to the fact that folks dont like their things touched! So, every room I left undone was still undone when they finished. They were very offensive when I said I was so unhappy. Still ended up paying 75 dollars for a horrible job. Left with saying everyone else is happy who she works for and good luck finding someone. She was horribly unprofessional.

1 comment
B

Long story short. Service Magic is garbage. They tell you they are going to help you and resolve your issue but do absolutely nothing. The person I was dealing with said she would be in contact with me and I gave her the benefit of the doubt and she never got back to me a month and a half later. The fencing company All In One Fence Co, used cheap material and my stockade fence is falling down 4 months later. You are better off going off of a referral or a business you can see in passing that is established because these companies can tell you anything. When you need to contact them they dissappear, . This fence comes with a one year warranty and repairs. I now have to pay out of pocket to have it fixed

3:54 pm
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

HomeAdvisor - Scams

ServiceMagic.Com is a scam. Bad leads, no refounds or credits. No prescreening of contractors like they claim. I think the Fed`s should investigate Service Magic and close their doors. Complete Ripe-Off for contractors and home owners alike!
I should know as I was a Plumbing Contractor that tried their service. Closed my Account, Never looking back!

2:12 pm

HomeAdvisor - Not posting negative comments

I used ServiceMagic.com to locate a masonry contractor to do some work on my property in NJ. I used a recommendation from their website considering the plethora of positive reviews on their site. The contractor turned out to be far different than the glowing reviews on the site. Frankly it was a disaster. I then posted a negative review on ServiceMagic.com to ensure that truthful, factual information was available for anyone looking to use this contractor in the future. ServiceMagic.com touts their review capability to allow consumers to properly evaluate contractors on their site based upon actual work performed. A nice unbiased feature I thought.

After several weeks of my review not being posted I contact ServiceMagic.com to see what the hold up was. They told me it was still in the review process. I called them a week later, they said they don't have a record of it. I sent it again, waited a few weeks and after not hearing from them again I called them. They told me someone would contact me shortly to ensure that the review was accurate as they don't want to post negative reviews unless it's screened first. I never got a call.

ServiceMagic.com derives the lions share of their revenue from vendors who use their services such as web site creation/management and referrals. As such they are high incentives not to damage those relationships by posting negative feedback. It should be clear to anyone on the above sequence of events that this is the case. I've given up on trying to get the negative review posted and instead am going to tell everyone I know not to use service magic.com as you are getting a completely biased picture of vendors which is in direct opposition of what their stated purpose is. Shame on you ServiceMagic!

3 comments
Jul 19, 2012 2:34 pm

We also found out too late. Their resolution process is a joke! We were totally ripped off. They need to be thoroughly investigated and put out of business - probably should do jail time!

I
Oct 13, 2010 9:17 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I have enough trouble finding good contractors on my own...I would have probably checked out ServiceMagic but now I certainly won't. Thanks for the warning!

Apr 14, 2010 9:42 am

Thank you for posting your warning. Unfortunately, I found it too late! A few weeks ago, I found a contractor, called 800 New Look thru SermiveMaigic.com to do roofing and siding on my house. They did roofing, but left nails everywhere on the roof. They installed some roof vent caps, but did not cut vent holes under the caps. When doing the siding, they turned all my aluminum awnings into trash. They awnings provided nice shades to my front/back porches and windows, costed over $5000 orginally. The contractor originally promised to keep or work around the awnings, but they eventually ruined them into pieces lying on the ground. I complained to ServiceMagic by posting negative rating and reviews, but they all went nowhere! Apparently, ServiceMagic takes money from contractors, not from consumers like me. Therefore, they are on the side of the bad contractors and unwilling to disapplease them. This $8000 lesson for me is: NEVER use ServiceMagic.com again!

12:36 pm

HomeAdvisor - Taken for a ride

After a good start with Servicemagic things went south FAST. Wasting our time as contractors with fabricated, cohersed, or incorrect leads is unforgivabe. Yes they tell the customer that they will not have to pay, yet they do not inform them the us, the contractor pays(yes everyone that recieved the lead). In addition they claim that the lead gets sent to 3or 4 contractors, this is bunk, I know of 6 fellow contractors friends that have recieved the same lead. There response was that different peope from the same companys were calling. I personally know this is not true. Ive been debating cancelling the service for quite some thime as Ive had my leads shut off for over a year due to there deceptive buisness practices and after reading other complaints, I made up my mind. My advice to any contactor thinking of joining (DONT ) ! Unless you have time and money to waste. Stu co GTC Mass.

2:49 pm

HomeAdvisor - Do not rely on them

We relied upon Service Magic's recommendation of a Contractor based on their "10 point Prescreening Service Guarantee" and hired one of the four recommended to repair our deck. When our contractor first showed signs of reneging on his commitment, I contacted Service Magic which stated that this particular Contractor was no longer with them, and that they had no way to encourage his compliance. They had not notified me that he was no longer a recommended contractor. When he abandoned our project (and I have found out since, did shoddy and incompetent, even dangerous repairs in the limited work he did perform) I complained to Service Magic with a phone call and email. They have not returned by emails or calls.

Do NOT rely on Service Magic - They do NOT stand by their contractors and are apparently a gloried advertizing agency.

2 comments
Sep 27, 2010 1:49 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I hired a crummy roofer through ServiceMagic. Even though the roof leaked, not only did SM not live up to its service guarantee, but kept the roofer on its listings and he's there to this day. I gave crappy feedback and it was not put on their listing.

Jun 26, 2010 10:33 pm

I CONTACTED service magic AND WAS GIVEN LEADS IN THE WRONG AS WELLAS WORK THAT I CALLED THE FOLLOWING DAY AND TOLD THAT THAT WORK HAD BEEN DONE FOR SOMETIME, CATEGORY CALLED THEM TO INFORMED IMMEDIATELY OK YOU ARE CREDITED FOR THAT AND PROMISED TO CORRECT THE PROBLEM BUT CONTINUED TO GET THIS FAXES SEVERAL A DAY GOT HOME AND SAW AGAIN THE PROBLEM CONTINUED i ADVICE THEM DISCONTINUE THE SERVICE THE NEXT DAY THEY ARE STILL COMING WENT TO MY BANK AND WAS INFORMED THAT $140.00 SOME HAD BEEN TAKEN FROM MY ACCOUNT i THEN INFORMED THEM THAT STOP THEM ADVICE i HAD TO CANCELED THE CARD AFTER 3 WEEKS AGAIN IT ALL STARTS UP AGAIN o THEN CALLED FOR THE 2ND TIME AND INFORMED I HAD SUSPENDED THE SERVICE AND NO MORE WAS TO BE SENT, TOLD THEM THAT i HAD CANCELED BUT TO NO AVAIL IT KEEPS COMING, i SPOKE W/ SOME ONE IN COLORADO AND THEY AGREED AS TO THE CALLS WHERE THE ONES i COMPLAINED NOW AN AUGMENTED BILL SHOWS UP FROM A COLLECTION FIRM I WILL BE FILLING A COMPLAIN WITH THE (BBB ) BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU TO HAVE THEM CONTACTED AS THEY CONTINUE THE HARASSMENT AND I HAVE EVERY ONE OF THE LEADS i GOT ON MY FAX MACHINE IF ANY ONE WOULD CARE TO READ AND SEE HOW YOUR COMPANY FAILED TO ACKNOWLEDGE THE PROBLEM FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME AND RECTIFY THE PROBLEM
SINCERLY ALEX OJEDA

6:56 pm

HomeAdvisor - Terrible service

I have started using Service Magic since my business has been slow and I have received numerous request for bids on local work. I am all in for going to a job site and giving my input on jobs with fair prices. I do not like the fact when you have contractors that contact you to bid work and expect you to do a half *** job and put your name on it. I'm sorry but I am not doing that to the customer. Plus we bid numerous jobs being they are free estimates. My issues is for the consumer to call either way when not using us and contractors don't lie to your customers. That is not good business practice. So we are now advertising on our web site and local paper and not using service magic.

44 comments
Jan 21, 2011 1:27 pm

Just a heads up, I've been with Service Magic for over a year.I have landed a couple of small jobs in the very beginning but most of the leads over all are fraudulent. Every time I get a lead now it's $50 and no one ever calls you back or e-mails. The people I've spoken with say they never asked to be contacted. Now my leads have been turned off by me, but Service Magic went in and turned my leads on with out my permission. So contractors beware - the economy is bad enough, we will have our turn again without paying for false advertisement.

Feb 01, 2011 5:05 pm

Service Magic allowed a competitor to access my account, change user passwords and steal my leads! I called to inquire when my passwords had been changed and was told that I called and requested a password reset, I had just used my account that morning and apparently developed amnesia because I needed a password reset within an hour or two! ###-they did not confirm the identity of the caller if they had attempted to they would have realized it wasn't me. I added a call in password and tried to call back to test them and I wasn't asked the password. Contractors beware they only want your money and don't care if people are screwing around and not really wanting leads and they will apparently allow thieves to access private or so called "secure" accounts. Needless to say I am cancelling and filing a lawsuit against Service Magic and Michael Casiano of Deckmasters for theft of access.

Jan 26, 2011 6:27 pm

My husband responded to an ad on craigslist for plumbers. He got a call from Service Magic and they explained their "gig". They asked him for a bank account number so they could take money for the leads they give him. HUGE red flag! As he was on the phone, I googled the company and found tons of complaints. He asked them not to call again, but they still do. I just spoke to a guy and told them we want nothing to do with them and he laughed at me when I told him I saw reviews about the company being fraudlant. He asked me how they could have an A+ BBB review if they were fraudulant. Well, because they don't have any complaints that went that far, I guess. I am thinking of contacting our news station. They do investigations on bad companies.

Jun 01, 2010 5:12 pm

1. Their leads are predominantly bad, unqualified leads. Over and over again they charged or attempted to charge us for leads that were wrong address, wrong phone number, and wrong email addresses. Often the "customer contact" didn't even own the property in question, and had no authority to make any improvements to it.

2. When we finally gave up on these losers, they refused, yes REFUSED to stop sending and charging us for leads after we told them several times that we no longer would be using their service. I finally had to change my credit card number so that they couldn't charge it anymore.

3. They routinely sent and billed for more leads than we authorized to be sent each month.

4. They continued to try to charge us for leads even after I changed the credit card number, then have continued to send threatening emails and make threatening phone calls if we don't pay for leads they sent literally MONTHS after we discontinued their service.

Under NO circumstances would I recommend that ANYONE do business with these crooks. You literally do better going door to door than using their leads, and you won't have the aggravation of having them try to steal from you the entire time.

Jan 12, 2011 3:56 pm

Would not post bad review of contractor and their project estimates are way off, beware they will give you bad info and send bad contractoros to your house. For example, when asked for how much to do a remodel Servicemagic was under 8k what is actually cost. Also their contracto they proposed did crappy work, bad dry wall, plumbing was not lined up, and the sink leaks. Also the contractor charges more than the not to exceed estimate. When I posted this info on ServiceMagic's web site they sent an email stating they could not post it. The company is a shame.

Sep 10, 2010 12:38 pm

Service Magic has national web sites, but does not provide information about the service providers they represent and market. Following major damage to my home by a Service Magic contractor, and being told by the contractor who walked off the job to "Sue me"...Service Magic would not provide information about this contractor's insurer, in spite of the fact that Service Magic markets for this contractor providing information on their web site that the contractor has insurance and the expiration date of this insurance, but not the carrier...and Service Magic refuses to provide infomation about the carrier thus misrepresenting their client contractor to the public.

BEWARE of SERVICE MAGIC...they are not Consumer Friendly! Do NOT trust their referrals. SS.

Aug 05, 2010 3:55 pm

I entered information about specific contractors I was looking for on the Service Magic website in hopes of being hooked up with folks who deal in that area. When the rep from Service Magic called to verify my request his connection was horrible and moreover he was exceptionally rude, condescending and abrasive. I was stunned. I can do the research to find contractors on my own and the rep's attitude resulted in my vowing not to use anyone who contacts me through my request to Service Magic - PERIOD. Warning contractors, these folks may be LOSING you business instead of increasing it.

Jan 15, 2009 11:52 am

In recent communication with Servic Magic company regarding an Installer for my shed, purchased through Betty Mills, I was given installers to contact for my service needs through Service Magic.

I engaged with Service Magic who recommended the installer, Al's Construction, and I hired them as my shed installer. That hiring took place at the beginning of November 2017.

The installation was estimated by the manufacturer, to take 2 to 3 days. Al's Construction completed the installation in 3+ weeks. See below the historical activity for the installation:

Week or October 27th 2017 Al’s Construction contacted me in response to installing my Betty Mills 10x12 shed. The following events have occurred following that telephone dialog with Al:

· The week of 11/27/2017 Al spoke to me on the telephone and verbally agreed to perform the installation of my 10x12 shed for the agreed amount of $420.00. Joe agrees to receive payment in full when the shed is built.

· Al visited the property for a site review on 11/1/2017 and he approved of the site location and reiterated his agreement to assemble the shed

· During Al’s visit, I addressed upcoming weather stating that he should begin the job on 11/3/2017 versus a previous date he suggested of 11/6/2017 due to forecasted rain on that date.

· Al agreed to begin the assembly job on 11/3/2017 and anticipated the completion of the job in 1 ½ days. He told me that he would have Joe come in on 11/3/2017 and start to dig the foundation and begin the assembly of the foundation kit.

· 11/3/2017 – Joe arrives on the job with Al, Joe begins the foundation work and AL leaves 11/2 hours into the job. Al asks me to pay him up front for the work. I agee to pay Al 50% up front and give him a check for $210.00. Al cashes that check that day . Joe does some raking of the site and attempt to level the 4 corner bricks . Joe then decides he can’t do any more work that day and leaves before 12noon, total time on the job- 2 hours, Work completed:- removal of sm all plants and insertion of 4 foundation stones( no dirt was excavated and limited work on the foundation kit work is performed. total time on the job- 2 hours

· 11/4/2017- Al shows up very tired and Joe arrives at the work site at 9:30-10:00am and Al shows up very tired. Before, Joe arrives. Al ends up leaving after 1 hour of work and Joe continues to attempt to assemble the foundation kit and prep the foundation. Joe admits to me that Al works a 3r d shift job at a metal fabrication shop in Portland, ME. Joe assures me that they will have the building up on 11/5/2017 claiming that he needs Al around to complete the foundation kit. At lunch 12:noon, Joe tells me he is going to get a sandwich downtown at and come back. Joe never returns to complete the foundation work. I call Al and ask where Joe went leaving a message. I suspect he blew me off and went on a motorcycle ride as he had hinted that to me earlier in the day when I spoke to him. Work completed: Joe does not complete the digging of the foundation, the laying of the *** barrier or the completion of the foundation frame. Hours worked 2+

11/5/2017- Al shows up around 8:30am -9:am. Al admits to me after reviewing the foundation kit assembly by Joe on the previous day, that he didn’t assemble it correctly, and Al has to reassemble the foundation frame. I ask Al if he ever got in touch with Al on 11/4, he said he called Joe a number of times but Joe didn’t call him back. I tell Al that Joe did not do any digging as we had agreed on as part of the foundation preparation. Al says that they will do the digging that day. Joe eventually shows up between 9:30 and 10:am. I restate my requirements for the foundation along with the digging. I go to the Home Dept and buy additional foundation pavers for the foundation frame. Work completed: AL and Joe dig a little dirt out of the foundation plot and finish the foundation kit, bending one beam in the process, lay the *** plastic and spread the crushed stone, add the foundation bricks, while putting the foundation frame on the bricks, neglecting to insert two important brick under the door area of the frame. They lay out the plywood floor without fastening it. I ask Al to try to use the instruction for laying out the plywood, he wants to do it another way. Al announces at 12:noon that he is unable to continue the job and he and Joe leave at 12:noon. Total hours worked: 3

· 11/6 – No work is preformed due to rain. Al does not call or follow up with me on the next day he will work.

· 11/7 Rain has stopped, no word from Al or Joe. I placed a call into Al -9:Am at [protected], 11:30am no reply from Al, no one came to work, no rain falling all morning. After noon, Al returns call, leaves voice mail, attempts to explain that he has been working multiple jobs, is tired and has had to wait due to weather delays.

· 11/10- Al informs me that Joe is no longer on the work team and weather continues to be a delay factor. He lets me know that he is hiring on Rob. He also states that he has to complete the roofing job he has been working on and won’t be able to commit to the shed before 11/13. Total time on the project, 1+ hours. Weather is clear dry and cold.

· Week of 11/10- There is a complete disconnect with Al and work. I leave a nasty VM on his cell stating that he needs to have the shed built by 11/21 .

· 11/13 Al shows up with Rob, and they begin to put down the flooring after restablishin the metal frame and foundation for the shed. The work 3 hours and decide it is going to rain and leave for the day.

· 11/14 - No work is performed on this day due to rain.

· 11/15-11/16- no work is performed on these days due to rain

· 11/17- Al shows up and Rob joins him between 9 & 9:30am. Al is basically walking around half asleep. Less than an hour goes by and Al leaves, Rob is left behind. I ask Rob where Al went, he says he went home to sleep. Rob attempts to start putting up the frame for the left side of the shed and seems unable to do it by himself. By 10:am he ***.

· Week of 11/17--- 11/17-- Al sends over Rob with his assistant, they begin to construct the side walls and front and back walls. Rob tells me that they are short on some back wood panels. I call the company and they tell me that the floor frame and foundation kit have to measure 117 inches wide, not 121 inches, see page 3 of the instructions, again Al does not read the instructions . I leave Al a voice mail explaining the delay and the mistake he made. Rob and his helper have to take the plywood floor out of the frame and adjust the frame with the walls standing. They then have to cut the plywood in order to re set it into the floor frame, a major delay of 2 hours. Rob then says he has to stop working mid day to pick up his kid who is sick at day care. Total work 5 hours

· 11/18 & 11/19 - Al shows up and Rob comes later. They continue to construct the shed working on the roof. They complain that the roof panels are not fitting, and then Al discovers that they have installed them upside down-wrong end up, they correct that mistake. They spend 4 hours in the morning putting a small roof up with the gable ends, also discovering that they have miscalculated th e center beam and are having trouble with roof panels lining up. Al requests more fastening screws claiming he lost some and wants another pound of screws, I have to go out and purchase them. Total; work performed 5 hours

· 11/20 & 21 – Al and Rob put in half days constructing the roof finally completing the roof and gables on 11/21. Al states that he will return on 11/24 to complete the job. Total hours both days, 6 to 7 hours

· 11/23- I stain the shed and it is completely stained inside and out. ( I am forced to work in freezing tempretures due to the delays)

· 11/24 – Rob and Al do not show up to work, the weather is warmer and sunny. No call comes in for Al letting me know he will not be here.

· Work is completed on the shed week of 11/24( roof has holes in it and Al states that they could not line up the beams with the roof, probably because they did not assemble the frame of the building on center originally-

· Three weeks have elapsed since the installation began.

The history clearly reveals Al's Construction's total lack of dependibility. professionalism, and capability to deliver the Service Magic commitment to quality services to its customer.

I will not be using Al's Construction again or recommend Service Magic to my friends or family in the future.

CONTRACTORS BEWARE. I am a flooring contractor and had been with Service Magic for about three years. I paid over $5000 for about 210 leads total. I had many jobs from these leads, and every one of my customer reviews were outstanding. Never had anything close to a complaint. Except one customer, who had a very small issue with his kitchen floor. The customer and I could not reach an agreement on how to solve his problem, so he complained to Service Magic. The customer then demanded $2200 to fix a tiny part of his floor, which I refused to pay. Without warning, notice, and without asking me any questions whatsoever about the job, SM fined me $500 (per my contract with SM), cancelled my account, and even threatened to report my company to the BBB and the Colorado Attorney General office. I was treated like a criminal! I wrote the head of contractor relations a letter describing my horrible experience; he has not replied.

Bottom line, fellow contractors is that Service Magic is, kind of, your boss if you use their lead program. When a problem arises, they will NOT advocate for you, even though you are the one paying their bills. They will side with the customer every time, and throw you overboard like you were a common criminal. In short, they treated me exactly the opposite of how I treat my customers--with total disrespect. DO NOT USE SERVICE MAGIC!

Aug 25, 2010 3:49 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Avoid Service Magic’s lead program. They blatantly swindle business customers.

On May 19th we (a roofing company) authorized a $450.00 package to try out Service Magic’s lead program. After doing so, we found that the leads were not good (at all) and decided to cancel. On June 9, 2017 we called and cancelled. We were told that we had credit left that could not be refunded. We said fine, use it up; cancel us. Since that time we have been billed an additional $856.00.

On August 4, 2017 after receiving our July credit card statement we contacted Service Magic and asked for refund, which was refused. In addition to that they are trying to bill an additional $165.00 which will apparently not go through as they keep requesting updated credit card information (and are now threatening collections for).

On August 24, 2017 we called again, and re-explained that we had cancelled June 9, 2017. Not only were we refused credit, but they actually said it had been our responsibility to track the credit as of June 9th and call back after the credit was used to cancel. At no time was it related to us that we would have to re-cancel when our credit was used up. What kind of deal is that anyway? We cancelled!

We also found out that our account is still not cancelled, but on hold due to the balance due. If for some reason the owing (in their mind) charge attempt went through, we would be considered active, up and running till we cancelled again. However, they would be glad to process our cancellation once the outstanding balance is received.

Service Magic’s excuse is their computer system, which they say cannot cancel you when you apparently have a credit, or outstanding balance due. That is absurd. The reality is they refused and are still refusing to cancel our account, along with refunding our money.

We are disputing the credit card charges with the bank in hopes of getting our money back. We filed complaints with the Better Business Bureau and Attorney General of Colorado about Service Magic’s deceptive business practices. I would encourage you all to take the time and do the same. Here are the links: http://www.denver.bbb.org/; http://www.coloradoattorneygeneral.gov/ .

I recently signed up with Service magic with promises of recieving leads. What Service Magic and any other business would consider a lead are two different things. If you consider a qaulity lead a name and phone number that you cant get a call back on a lead then go ahead and WASTE your money using Service Magic.
I had recieved 12 total leads from Service Magic and over 50% of the leads the "so called pre screened customer would not even return my phone calls. I am still being charged for those leads.
It's a complete waste of money!

Derek
Fairfax VA

Jan 24, 2011 6:15 pm

I was looking for someone to remodel my kithchen and found a guy on service magic. He called me within 10 minutes of me posting the job. to make a long story short, this guy totally ruining my kitchen ceiling trying to remove the cabinets. I asked him to see his license the next day he can for work and he told me that he didn't need one. Service magic is crap. They do not screen these people. Of course, he needs a license in California. I found a real contractor on onlylicensedcontractors.com and he did a great job and he had a license! They didn't make me leave my information. i could jsut see the contractor names and contact information to call them myself. Always, ask to se the license before they do anything.

Sep 16, 2009 1:48 pm

Service Magic recommended Biancardi Construction for the repair and rebuilding of my deck. He did shoddy work, did not complete the contract, and left mid-project without notice keeping the money I paid him as he required it for materials never delivered and work not done. Now I have discovered that the work he did was dangerously incompetent (for example, putting sonna tubes over old sonna tubes instead of replacing them as promised and going down only 2 instead of 4 feet in New Hampshire). I am out over $8, 000 and feel both Service Magic and Biancardi should reimburse me. Never trust Service Magic to stand by a contractor they recommend. When I first complained to them, they said he was no longer with them (no notice to me!) without explanation!

T
Nov 12, 2009 7:23 pm

Service Magic is a sham. The leads are mostly bogus and they demand you even pay for the bad ones. on numerous attempts of trying to cancel we cut them off from auto pay out of our checking account. Then they continued to bill us for leads after i shut it off now, it has been turned over to collections to a very rude company who really dont care about fixing the error so we are taking it to the state of Utah and filing it with numerous departments Its strange that the notes i recorded and theirs do not match.

Jan 07, 2010 4:56 pm

My wife opened the latest bill from Amercan Express only discover that Service Magic had made numerous charges totaling $453. Having been infuriated by there action, I called Service Magic customer service to find out what was going on. Especially since I had terminated my association with them on the 14th of December, 2017 due to the many bogus leads they had sent me and the charges that were incured.
What I was told, was that my account had not been canceled (as I requested) but was put on hold. What? I couldn't believe what I had heard. How convenient an excuse is that. They were sucking money from my wife's credit account on a weekly basis without our knowledge. It wasn't until we received the latest bill from Am Ex when we found out what they had been up to.
Obviously, both my wife and I insisted that they reverse the charges or we would take some sort of legal action against them. That made little difference to the "supervisor" we were speaking to, since he insisted that the account was not closed. Then to top it all off, after being put on hold for a lengthy period, he finally stated that he would be more than willing to rectify the situation if I would be willing to give him another form of credit/debit card that he could transfer the charges to! I couldn't believe my ears. My last statement to him was that we were going to pursue some sort of legal action against Service Magic. The line went dead...
We immediately called American Express to inform them of the situation, and to request a "stop payment" for the fraudulent transactions made by Service Magic. The gentleman told us that they would be investigated, but that we need to wait for about 30 days for Service Magic to state their case.
My wife went on the net to see what she could find out about this fraudulent company. We were suprised to see just how many others had been taken as we had been. If only I had done my own investigation before signing on with Service Magic!
The bottom line is simple... "Contractors beware!" Service Magic will happily take you for a ride too. Watch your pocket books!

Jan 25, 2011 5:30 pm

We are a contracting geothermal company out of Atlanta and we were once members with Service Magic, this was about 2 years ago. Today we found a most disturbing advertisement fraud with Service Magic using our name, our address, but their phone number. Basically the listing was found immediately under our company name, but when we called the contact number listed it went directly to Service Magic. Here is our complaint: About 2 years ago or so we were members with Service Magic and yes, they definitley do not do thorough background checks, as we found our competitors on Service Magic, without them even having a license to do buisness/contract work. Needless to say, we are licensed, insured and bonded so we felt that we had the upper hand and decided to stay with them on a trial basis. All for 6 months, then we cancelled it. When we cancelled it was due to our own bad experiences with Service Magic and even a personal family experience with Service Magic that ended horribly for them, so that was it, we were through with Service Magic, and this was 2 years ago(2017). During the year of 2017, we hired a person to help us with advertising that use to work with Service Magic from her home, fielding calls for them. We found out quite alot of bad marketing fraud that goes on - which I am not allowed to disclose- but contractors beware! Anyways, we hired this very nice lady, again back in 2017. I just want to give all of you a timeline here.. Joined service magic 2017 for 6 months then cancelled, hired a lady that use to work for servcie magic 2017, today 2017 January we found they are STILL advertising our good name and business, but with their contact information. We called the number and it went directly to a lady who stated " Thank you for calling Electrical.. blah blah". We answered back, "that's interesting, because I wanted E*** ( can't disclose my company name) heating and air and not an electrical company?" The lady at SM answered back, "Oh yes sir, sorry about that, as the company is busy with their schedule, would you like to try "blah blah" instead and I can get you set up with an appointment right away." Ok that ticked us off. So, they are not only using our company name with their phone number, but they are also LIEING TO THE CONSUMER- our would be customers, and fielding them to other contractors. After a rather lengthly conversation with this Service Magic "professional customer service rep", they promised to remove their phone number from all associations with E *** ( my business ). PAST CONTRACTORS OF SERVICE MAGIC-- BE AWARE OF THIS SCAM and FRAUDULENT ADVERTISING of YOUR GOOD BUSINESS NAME - We advise you to immediately do an internet search of your name. If you should locate any association with Service Magic, as you are not a client of theirs, but once were, we ADVISE YOU TO TAKE ACTION! Thank You.

Jan 12, 2009 8:01 am

I have been a faithful fool of Service Magic. Their filters are non existent. In theory it does work. The problem is there are too many tire kickers and internet players that are not legitimate. If you waste more time and complain they might give you back a few bad leads, good luck. The contractor pays and pays and pays while the customers are not serious. They will not allow you to pay for bids so you are at the mercy of the customer, if they exist, and you waste more time while Service Magic rakes in the money form 3 or 4 contractors one each POTENTIAL LEAD.

There filters suck and their service is worse. They should be invaded and their computers burned!

Jan 24, 2011 7:03 pm

I got F**CKED into the Service Magic pay for leads scam! I'll admit it because I know my wife wont read this and find out she was right. Anytime you have to pay to get work, chances are the work won't be profitable enough to recoup your investment.
So here is how to handle them:
1) cancel the card or account used to autopay Service Magic
2) get a new CC logo DEBIT/CHECK card (you're gonna have to do it anyway so you might as well get on with it)
3) if you choose to take the risk and keep doing business with them, ALWAYS make sure you make payments for the leads by speaking to a rep, and when making payment, specify ONE TIME PAYMENT on the new card you are using. This is important because otherwise they can keep a copy of the card numbers on file and start the autopay all over again.
4) retain control over when they can issue leads---go into your account and turn the leads off until YOU are ready for accept a lead, this pisses them off (you have to make sure that you reset the off setting every 12 days or you will get a lead(s) that you hadn't planned on)
5) make sure you are fully aware of just what kind of work you have agreed to perform. For instance "Hire a Handyman" is pretty vague and covers a lot of crap work that they can justify issuing a lead for. Again, you log into your account to make these changes. You can also request that they send you list of the types of work and what those leads will cost--very useful in making the decision of what you want to be doing.
6) if you wish to end your relationship with them (and I'm sure you will), complete steps 1 and 2 first, log into the account and cancel the service. Use whatever colorful explanation for cancellation that serves you at the moment.
By the way, make sure that you post somewhere obvious that Service Magic charges the contractors for the leads, because it seems they don't disclose that information to the potential customer and I know for a fact that it will piss Service Magic off to have that tidbit out there--I checked.
I'll repost with more complaint when they pull their next shi**y trick on me--I'm sure they will try something.

Jul 19, 2012 2:59 pm

Yes Service Magic are crooks! Somebody needs to put them out of business!

Jul 19, 2012 2:47 pm

They wouldn't post our bad review of the company that ripped us off either! Total Scam! Steer clear!

Jul 19, 2012 2:45 pm

Service Magic is a total scam! We got ripped off by the company the recommended and their resolution process is a joke! They never had any intention of getting us any money back. They just don't care! Stay away! They will make your life hell!

Dec 01, 2011 4:58 pm

I agree, ServiceMagic is a total ripoff. As a contractor I spent money on bogus leads that I couldn't reach or return my calls. The few we did reach had no realistic idea of what construction costs are. SM also sells the same lead to too many contractors, and they recycle leads that are weeks old. I know this as one person said he'd contacted SM several weeks before and had already heard from 5 or 6 contractors. When I called SM about all this they simply said "it's in the cost." WTH? They did promise to credit some of the phony leads, which they never did. Today I tell both consumers and contractors to avoid these lying scam artists every chance I get.

I Hear You. I'm in Indianapolis, Indiana and I, have received about seven leads and they never returned my calls either. I had one who called me and canceled his appointment. My thing is why do we have to pay for a lead that is just, calling for a quote? It's seems as if, I 'm just, wasting my money. I have not received a call back YET!. People are wasting there time going to Service Magic. Because, they are the one's getting the money . It should be, us the Cleaning Business paying for a lead after, the lead's Agree with the cleaners or contractors that they want us to come clean for them. This seam's more like a "BIG GAMBLE" I don't think it's fair at all Wasting money on a "GUESS" NOT KNOWING IF, the leads are going to use you or some one else. Then it's to late you already paid. While Service Magic is getting paid to keep there Company.

I was a Service Magic contractor for about 6 months. I got 2 leads. The first was from a fly by night real estate org. They wanted me to do alot of work and offered to pay me in about 2 months. The second was a window job but nobody would ansewer the phone.
I was charged $42. for this lead and when I disputed the charge to Visa the price jumped to $62. These people just needed to prove there claim to Visa to get paid, but they called and emailed me letting me know that they would send me to collections and "ruin my credit". I had to cancel my visa.

Mar 07, 2011 8:06 pm

Hi my name is juan velez, i owned a small construction company in ct, and i have exactly the same problem whit servimagic, this people use my company information whit a different phone #, to take my costumers away, i think, we need to stop this people, some how, im pretty sure is not only 2 0 3 companies whit the same problem.we need to get together to stop servimagic

Jan 24, 2011 6:29 pm

They are con men. They got me for almost $1200 in 7 months with their bogus leads. I canceled my credit card to stop they from bleeding me. Check out only licensed contractors.com. they sent me a postcard about becoming a member. You don't pay for leads and you have very little competition. In the past 4 months, i've gotten 5 jobs from people seeing my company on their website. They've only sent me about 3 leads that people posted and I got one job from that. it's a good deal for the money and way cheaper than service magic.

Jan 24, 2011 6:21 pm

Maybe, that is why they call it Only Licensed Contractors.com? lol

Jan 24, 2011 6:20 pm

You're right about service magic. Anyone can be listed on their site, but onlylicensedcontractors.com should have a section for handymen who may not need to have a license. Even if you are in a state that does not require contractors to be licensed, only licensedcontractors.com won't let you join their site. All states don't require contractors to be licensed.

Sep 27, 2010 1:46 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I hired an inept roofer through SM, and just checked and found out he is still listed with them.

Sep 27, 2010 1:42 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Forgot to mention: I used their "screen a pro" website and found he crook roofer is still on the Service Magic network.

Sep 27, 2010 11:49 am
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I had the same problem: when I sued a terrible roofer referred to me by ServiceMagic, SM refused to very his current address.

Sep 10, 2010 5:25 pm

Hello Michael-

Thanks for your feedback. We take the professionalism of our member businesses very seriously and I apologize that your experience did not meet your expectations. Every homeowner is provided with the service professional’s type of insurance, the amount and the expiration date; this information is always up for display on their profile page. Due to privacy policy, we do not release any further information as ServiceMagic is diligent in verifying and updating all of our service professional’s insurance certificates. I would like the opportunity to speak with you to try and amend this situation. I do believe I replied to another post you made on 8/26 but I have not heard from you yet. Please contact me at your earliest convenience at [email protected] or 303.963.8125 so we can discuss your frustrations and concerns.

-Angela Doss

Aug 26, 2010 9:52 am

Hello-

My name is Angela Doss and I work at ServiceMagic in customer service. As always, we appreciate your candor and feedback about ServiceMagic. Your voice continues to be heard and we are always looking for new and better ways to serve our customers. I would like the opportunity to speak with you to try and amend this situation. Please contact me at your earliest convenience at [email protected] or 303.963.8125 so we can discuss your frustrations and concerns.

Best regards,

Angela Doss
303.963.8125
[email protected]

Aug 16, 2010 11:17 am

I have been trying to cancel my Service Magic account for the past 4 months. They ignore the requests by phone, deny us having an account when emailing them and their fax machines will not accept transmissions.

They have been sending charges to an expired Visa card and Visa was paying them until I called the dispute department to put a stop to it. Despite these efforts, I just now found out that 2 more charges went in this month which VISA is fixing.

All during this time, my only protection has been keeping my leads turned off to avoid any further charges, however, you can only do this for a week at a time and they come on after midnight and leads slip through in the wee hours. Additionally, they have turned my leads back on without my knowledge.

As with the other complaints, I agree, this only makes money for Service Magic, since they have been known to send up to 7 paint contractor leads to one customer, certainly not all of them valid, qualified leads.

So, who is the police authority that watchdogs this kind of fraud? We have to find some way to get Service Magic's attention!

Jul 18, 2010 2:31 pm

tataaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Jul 18, 2010 2:30 pm

ta taaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Jul 18, 2010 2:23 pm

Yeppers...I used Service Magic when they first arrived on the internet years ago...after 25 bomb leads..I left...they tried to sue me but the idiots got the information wrong and they screwed themselves. they are worthless pieces of chet. Not a one of them knows what they are doing...I wrote to the attorney general's off and put a stop to this, QUICK...How does our government allow hese bafoons to do this?
The leaders of these groups, lke Yodle and such have been trying to get us, for years, and I tell them to their faces how they suck and it doesn't bother them in the least...all they want is money...they should all be quartered and boiled in oil. NOW...They should also go take a hike over the deepest grand canyon opening...with no shoes.

Thank you, it's ben a pleasure to tell you, in case you are dumb enough, that these companies can offer you only negative buisess and your will be out in a matter of weeks., So there.

Here is there staff...

May 28, 2010 5:29 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Sorry to hear of your frustrations. My office has been investigating this company for some time now. If you were so inclined, I'd like to speak with you regarding your experiences so we can continue with our investigation and bring a class action against this company so as to put an end to these unscrupulous business practices.

****************This communication may be considered Attorney Advertising in California*******************

May 28, 2010 8:27 am
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

They did the same to our business. We had shut off the leads and did not renew our credit card with them, they submitted 6 "new" leads, then sent everything to collection. I called and emailed to have the new leads cancelled, to no avail. Beware of Service Magic. You will spend a whole lot of money with very little return.

Mar 21, 2010 12:46 pm

THESE LOSERS DID NOT PAY ON TIME LIKE THE CONTRACT SAID AND THEY HAD AGRED TO THE WORK WAS NOT SHORTY THERE LYING ###. PEOPLE LIKE THIS ARE WHY CONTRACTORS LIKE ME CHARGE SO HIGH CAUSE WE KNOW LOSERS LIKE THIS ARE GOING TO ### US OVER. THE WORK WAS DONE TO CODE. DROP DEAD BETH AND MICHAEL

Dec 15, 2009 2:48 am

Service Magice are crooks from the word go. They con people out of their names and sell them to contractors. Every time they do this they rip of 2 to 4 contractors.
They send spam out by the thousands from many companies.
When the Hiolidays are over I'm going to start working on a Law Suit aganist them.

Dec 15, 2009 2:48 am

ac

Wake Up! Service Magic is a Telemarketing Business. They make promises to prospective clients and Contractors. The know nothing about either! They get Contractors Debit Cards on file and charge away! They don't screen Contractors or Clients! ServiceMagic took me for more then $1100.00 before I dumped them. On many of the referrals they sent me on, the prospective clients already had 5 other bids and they were looking for the cheapest one! When you complain they replace the leads with worse ones. I have been in business for 32 years and still the best way for me to get work is when my clients recommend me. Steven Goldstein, Painting Services Unlimited, Glendale, CA
[protected]

View 0 more photos
Jul 22, 2009 1:19 pm

I have been using Service Magic for many years off and on. I turned off the leads in the spring because of the *lousy* lead quality. yesterday I got a new lead. this one is about the bottom of the barrel, and I strongly suspect that Service Magic pays some people to fill out request forms just to generate more bogus leads. I spent 2 hours with the live chat dude, who had been schooled in the fine art of "how not to respond directly to questions" and "how to accentuate the positive even if its a lie". any way I got absolutely nowhere with this meatball, so I asked him to send my information to management, and he had 3 or 4 reasons why that would not be a good idea. finally, I told him to do it anyway, as I had already spent about 2 hours with him. I made a copy of the live chat, for my records. next I plan on doing more of my own marketing as service magic cannot be trusted to screen calls, or operate in way that they expect of their service providers.

How many stars for Service Magic? it hasnt been worth a darn for many years. 1 star for showing up and breathing.

Scottsdale Arizona

HomeAdvisor - False Advertising

Recently I was looking to do some work on my home and saw a commercial for ServiceMagic. ServiceMagic is a company that helps you find local contractors to help with your job. They claim to have a "10-point" screening process that all contractors go through to be a part of that network. This is a very sore subject for me as I know some people who have had their trust "violated" by those who have been let in their home to do work. Unfortunately, ServiceMagic's process is mostly style over substance. There are many independent contracting companies out there that do not background screen their employees for such simple things as a criminal record, whether they are a registered sex offender, is their drivers license valid, etc. One of the reasons I chose to look at ServiceMagic was this 10-point claim of theirs.
However, when I actually looked at what they do it is nothing like what they advertise. In reality ServiceMagic, "ServiceMagic uses 3rd party data sources to conduct a criminal search for any relevant criminal activity associated with the owner/ principal of the business." What a load of crap this is. They check the criminal record of the owner of the company...ha. How does this ensure my safety as a consumer when the owner sends his employees into my home to do a repair? Why aren't the service men/women being screened? I don't care if the owner has a record I want to know about the person being sent into my home. They say the same thing about their sex offender search. You want a reason why knowing the background of those being sent into your home is important read this link http://www.sueweavercause.org/ . There are hundreds, if not thousands, of companies out there that can do a background check on the employees of these companies and the only reason why a company like ServiceMagic cuts a corner like this is to save a few bucks. Nice to see the safety of their customers is more important to them then saving a few bucks. Here's an idea ServiceMagic either do what you claim and check all employees of the companies in your network or don't bring attention to your lackluster system. It might not have caught up to them yet, and I sincerely hope they fix it before it does and we have another tragedy like what happened to Sue Weaver.

11 comments
Jul 15, 2010 2:46 pm

1. Non-refundable membership cost

2. False leads sent to you, charges applicable and non-refundable

3.Consumes lead charges from 3-4 different contractors or companies, non will be refundable

4.they call "credit back to your account" not your bank account, the account with Service Magic, the money in your bank account will never be credited it has already been charged.

5. You will be sent leads that are not in your category or leads that are old, in the meantime, you will be charged for the lead and you will call to claim a false lead or a lead that does not belong in your category, in the meantime you did pay for the false lead and the "credit" you had from the previous lead will not be used instead your "credit" just grows, in other words you will never see your "credit" decrease just increase and your bank account decrease.

6. They claim contractors nationwide are and have grown thanks to Service Magic, that these contractors will happily continue growing with ServiceMagic's service. You ask for these "happily growing contractors" information and you will notice that they will start a dodge and dance move, this "growing contractors" are a false advertising pitch that makes ServiceMagic grow.

7.You call to cancel your membership, knowing that they will keep your non-refundable membership, (which is OK, you knew that when you signed up), but, you want to cancel membership because you don't want to be paying for false leads, so you have money in your "credit" once you cancel you will not be reimbursed your credit back to your bank account. ServiceMagic will keep your money, as a matter of fact they try talking you back into their membership for free, they want to keep lynching off your bank account with false leads.

I will never ever be or do any "ANY" business with Service Magic, I feel sorry for Service Magic on how they earn their business, I hope that this helps contractors or companies looking to partnership with Service Magic, don't do it! you will come back to this page and elaborate on this post and explain your own experience.

"Service Magic" a bad business partnership, bad business conduct, unjustifiable charges, overall Service Magic will grow with bad business practices, They are the mold that grows!

Dec 12, 2011 9:25 pm

Ok I my busines was going slow so I said y not try sevicemagice they say they can find u jobs which they call leads which they charge u for they take the money right out ur account so watch it first I said ok but then I notes that the leads were for other citys not like I ask then the monthly fees I dented about 450$ for I said that's it .not one lead made me money o and they charge u another fee for Makeing u a web site pulse a monthly fee for that to .look I no better now no one can help u get jobs but word of mouth .so long story short don't believe what u see they lie to get u in then charge u to get out

Dec 12, 2011 9:47 pm

Hi Bob -

I am sorry to hear that you are frustrated with us. We match leads to you based off of the zip code and the type of work. If you are seeing leads in places you do not want to receive leads from we can help you adjust your coverage area to ensure you are profiled correctly. I would like to speak to you directly to discuss your concerns and see if there is anything I can help you with. You may reach me directly at 303.963.8066 or mblack[at]servicemagic.com.

Aug 28, 2011 3:11 pm

They do this to every contractor company that uses them. This is probably a bigger scam than the poor leads that are farmed out to many more contractors than they say. This is probably alos a bigger scam then the poor and invalid leads that they provide. I do carpet cleaning and they sent me a paint lead and would not refund or credit me back. They are by all means the worst at what they are supposed to do and the best at ripping people off.

Mar 02, 2011 9:46 pm

Wow, I have a story for you…..I will post what I have posted on other sites and you can contact me if you have questions.

After repeated calls from Service Magic asking us to sign up for their service, I finally agreed to give it a try in January 2017. They were offering no sign up fees, the only requirement was that we have valid liability insurance. The way the service works is there is a charge for every contractor that receives a "lead" and I was told that each lead would go to three contractors in our area. Leads that were determined to be "exact match leads" were charged a much higher rate. On February 14th, we received our first and only lead and it turned out to be an "exact match". I called the customer immediately and again tried to contact him later but he never returned my calls. I called SM to report the issue and told them I did not expect to be charged. They sent the customer an e-mail and I received a reply that he had found someone else. I told SM this was not going to work for me and that I had plenty of work on my own anyway so I wanted to cancel. One week later, I was searching out various location on the web and found they had hijacked my Yahoo Local ad where we had great customer reviews dating much earlier than my January 7th sign up date. They had changed my phone number to their toll free number and changed my website link to their own. I have since found other places where I had my company registered that they had changed my original information. I could not believe this had happened. I still have not gotten the situation totally corrected. I have spent several hours on the phone with Yahoo, had to agree to pay a monthly fee so no one can get into my ad again and am still waiting for them to try to get our company customer reviews from the site SM hijacked to my paid for submission. I wonder how many other companies they do this to and they don't even know it. I suppose if you are a new company and do not have good web presence, SM may be a good match for that company but not a company who already has a good business. I am still not sure how they managed to do what they have done, can not believe it is legal and can not imagine how much business we have lost as a result

Mar 26, 2010 9:43 am

ok ok someone explain to me something here..

What the HELL does a drivers license have to do with ANYTHING. Are you worried because someone didnt renew their NATIONAL ID CARD?

Bunch of paranoid freaks.

Jan 30, 2010 6:31 pm

I agree and they are a rip off...$50/lead and you have to bid against your competition. Why pay Service Magic for leads if I can get your web site on the front page of Google Guaranteed! You do not pay until I get you there. This is not pay per click. $99.00 per month unlimited leads. Please contact me at [protected] [email protected]
www.webtrafficgurus.com

Dec 08, 2009 12:37 pm

It is not a fraud. The reason all of their contractors have good reviews is the bad companies get dropped from the service. I run a maid service and I can tell you some of the big names in the business are absent from servicemagic. Its not because they dont want to be there...its because they CANT be there. They had too many bad reviews! The company REQUIRES my employees and myself to be bonded. I am required to do a due diligence investigation on my employees to protect my own business as well as my customers.

F

Goto Contractor talk.com to get the insite on service magic

Nov 06, 2009 11:39 am

ServiceMagic is a fraud. I read many stories about them ripping off contractors.
I'll tell you it's just as bad for consumers.

I had a horrible experience with a contractor I hired through ServiceMagic. After I wrote a negative review, ServiceMagic called me, and I told them the same story. In spite of being 100% objective and honest in my review, they removed it from their site.

That's why all contractors have great review on ServiceMagic. They refuse to post negative reviews. It's a complete fraud. By the way, the person I hired had dozens of glowing reviews. Still, he turned out to be completely incompetent. I am absolutely sure that there were many more scathing reviews about this guy submitted by customers like me.

ServiceMagic is blatantly LYING to both consumers and contractors. It's a fraud - don't use them!

Sep 30, 2009 4:03 pm

I agree! We are a housecleaning company in Greensboro NC - WE do 20 year background checks on all of our potential employees - criminal, driving, and work history checks. If we can not get EXCELLENT checks in ALL departments, we DO NOT hire them!

Service Magic does only a check on the owner of the business. PERIOD. THEN they rip off the business by sending phony leads. 98% of the leads we received had disconnected or non-existent phone numbers, and the e-mails bounced back as undeliverable. We put our account with them on hold. THEN Service Magic attached itself to OUR yellowpage ad listing! So, if someone clicked on OUR website link it sent them to our page on Service Magic.com!

RIP OFF ARTISTS... we called yellow pages and THEY were shocked. (PLUS only last week Carolina Maids had done the SAME THING to one of our directory listings... noting themselves as an aka and listing THEIR website link. NOTE: we have NOTHING to do with Carolina Maids! If you hired THEM thinking they were US you were deceived!)

I am fed up with deceitful competitors! Gwen Gibson, Maid in North Carolina, Inc.

7:50 pm

HomeAdvisor - not a true lead!

My boyfriend and I have been researching Service Magic to see if it would be a good company to enroll with for leads for contractor services. In reading through the literature they sent him, I said, "What would prevent any schmoe from just signing up for services and never even intending having any work done?" So I logged in as a customer looking for trim work, left a name and phone number and it was not 5 MINUTES LATER that someone called me! We just looked at each other.

SO THERE IS YOUR ANSWER! These are not screened leads and the poor man was charged good money for this bogus lead. I called him up and apologized and said told him the story.

So any contractors should beware as well. This may well be a good service, but I can verify that the leads are in no way prequalified or verified for their validity.

The contractor we spoke to thought the company had not been a good deal for him and was in fact thinking of dropping the service as well.

3 comments
Jan 25, 2010 9:16 am

I tried to sign my business up for service magic. Before they even had my personal info. my computer and email became so clogged with spam from them I gave up on the company. Since then I have recieved numerous calls from Service Magic.
Watch your privacy settings on your computer... this company is very bad with phishing for your information, and they are persistent.
This is not what I want my business associated with.

Dec 15, 2009 2:46 am

Jul 22, 2009 1:25 pm

Scottsdale Arizona

8:36 am

HomeAdvisor - Fraud and cheating

I signed up with their service a year and a half ago, and they send me leads a couple of times a month during the busy season...What they do is send out the customer lead to at least three contractors, and then they scramble to contact the customer. They then charge each contractor $9 or $12, so they make their money no matter what happens... Luckily, when I have gotten their automated voice mails, I dial the number of the lead on my other phone. This way, I make sure that if the lead is serious, I will be the first one on the phone with them. Because of my fast response, I have gotten probably 12 out of the last 15 jobs they sent me.

The problem, as what the other reporters said, comes when the leads turn out to be dead...their policy states that they refuse to refund lead $ 'when the customer changes their mind' which is extremely unfair. They claim that dead leads are built into their 'low low pricing structure'. They also refused to refund several lead $ to me when their system failed to leave me a usable voice message and text message. I went back and forth with them, and they flatly refused to refund anything even when their system failed to give me the lead. This to me is a RIPOFF, and why I am filing this report.

10:13 am

HomeAdvisor - Rip off

I have been with service magic since Oct 2007, In all these months I have had leads but 95% off them are bogus .All service magic does is steal your money.I urge all contractors and other service people to stay away from this fraudulent conpany.You cant talk to them they talk over you and will not give an inch.All trhey care about is how much money they can steal froim you.Once again be ware and dont get involved with servicemagig, You will be dissapointed and ripped off.

1:45 pm

HomeAdvisor - Awful experience

We have been unhappy with Servicemagic for sometime and have mentioned to them about how their service has gone down over the last couple of years. We had a lead sent to us and have had others that were not valid yet they charge our card. In this case we asked for a refund as we were closing this account and a replacement would not work. They refused. I spoke with a CSR, she said she could not, I spoke with her manager, same story, I spoke with his manager Mike and he refused and threaten to send the $13 to collections and said he would not refund it. He even went as far to say that you tried to call the number (which is not valid) so you attempted to get the business. After trying to explain that we were not interested in a lead replacement and were canceling our account. He then hung up on me.

This is a scam service, BEWARE. If they will not refund $13 imagine the leads that some contractors have to pay that are $50, 60 or more. Servicemagic does not verify information. They go to 411. They need to be held accountable for their lack of service and costing contractors/people money.

4 comments
Dec 08, 2009 11:36 am

As a customer of SM I think it`s a rip off. Once I also heard from a couple of people who have worked at my house how the system works I can see how it`s a rip off for contractors also. One contractor kept calling and calling and I later found out these guys just want this lead fee or something. I felt bad for the guy bcz SM completely led him astray about what I needed. They led a whole bunch of contractors wrong for a project I needed as a disabled person. The person at SM had no idea what the hell he was doing but tried to be the biggest arrogant person and belittle me like I didn`t know what I needed and I was the person asking for it. I knew EXACTLY what I needed and he was the idiot. After transfering me to 4 people I just hung up. I also learned that certain colored stars I think, in the customer rating section mean your commenting as an outsider(like a friend or family of the business) or your a legitimate cust. commenting. That make a huge diff. You could have your friends or yourself using a false name and email address, commenting what a great comp. they are and great cust. svc. they have. I had a landscape comp. come and theyhad no idea what they were doing. NONE AT ALL! After the boss left the workers told me this was par for the course for this business. They just fly by the seat of there pants at every job. The crew also didn`t understand why they got so much work bcz no one really knows what there doing. However, the guy that comes out is the HUGEST BSer, LIER and pumps you up full of great info. about there comp. and how informed they all are and educated in specific areas, yet when I would ask diff. workers or this guy who was part owner a specific question no one had an answer. They were also doiing landscaping work. My yard looked like ### AND TEHM SOME when they got done. They actually showed up with only part of the equip. they needed and didn`t know what to do. They had no idea they were doing landscape work. They had no idea were the sprinkler heads were suppose to go. I asked if they were suppose to follow a drawing? The workers said, nope, we just guess! They had no idea I had 20 plus plants to plant, underground existing wire not to chop up which ended up getting chopped up and took 2 weeks to fix and chopped my yard up more instead of fixing it theminute they cut it. I could go on but it just makes me mad. They want the other 1/2 of there payment but, the sprinkler heads are crooked and the rest of the work where they ruined areas that weren`t worked on but were disturbed by there hack work, still aren`t put back together and fix the existing landscape work they ruined. This is just a horror job. I was going to have them plow snow this winter but I`m fearful there snow plow driver will take out the fence along my driveway, or all the shrubs along the driveway or smash into my vehicle. Then they`ll have some lame excuse to try and get out of it.
I did go to one of the owners Facebooks page and look at some of his content. Had I done that before I hired him there is no way absolutely no way I would have hired it. He is a severe drunk and a grose pig. No wonder he couldn`t remember anything I told him, he was probably coming off of a big drunk every morning. He had nasty videos I would never ever post on any web page ever. I have learned my lesson. Search more than just the other cust. comments. Then you`ll get to learn more about who your really dealing with. Thank God I never let him in my house. I am young and feel he may have tried to sexuallytried to take advantage of me. Even his business emails were a bit sketchy when I would email him a quick question. Folks do good research when hiring someone, especially is your home alone and a female. Now I don`t know where to go to, to find to loyal, trustworthy, hardworking and good trades people to work on my house. Karen, Twin Cities, MN

Sep 14, 2009 12:05 am

Jerry, you're wrong. They're dishonest thieving ###. I won't bother to go into detail. That's all anyone needs to know about ServiceMagic.

Jun 13, 2009 2:31 am

this company is a sales driven company, all they care about is contractors money, im sure you could save more money if you got someone to design you a webpage and then call the major search engines and see how mcuh it is to be at the top of the list will more than likely save you time, money, and your sanity

May 22, 2009 5:23 pm

I disagree strongly with this post. We have been a Servicemagic referred contractor for well over 5 years. Yes, sometimes we do not get the job because another company got to the client first or the client went with someone cheaper. But, we understood that as a possibility right up front.
They DO check to be sure that our licensing, bonds, etc are in force every year.
If the lead turns out to be not qualified, they have always credited us for them. A very few have been in the gray area and, again, we understand this is a possibility ( Some "clients" are just fishing to see how the system works, etc)
Servicemagic is an excellent referral source, if you act on the referral as soon as it comes in. We are fortunate that we have a full time office manager that can jump on the leads. We get a Fax, an email and a phone call with every lead.

9:37 am

HomeAdvisor - Fraud and scam

I will have to agree the my fellow handyman & contractors who have all been screwed by Service Magic! They pitched me as well, twice, and promised me legitimate customers. What they failed to inform me was that they wouldn't be leading me any real jobs, without a General B Lic. I got B.S. stuff like child proofing, people calling me asking about where my dump & recycling center was. I'm a 26 yr professional in all fields of construction, formerly flipping residential properties. They were definitely a great waste of my time, and now I too am being pursued for collection for crap leads! I was given wrong info, people were soliciting me for there own advantage, and/ or product- services through Service Magic, and some were wishy washy, not even ready to commit or move forward... "just looking around" One of my so called leads stiffed my company of $650.00, and Service Magic cared more for the customer. Initially I re painted her ceiling from a roof leakage, and then she had us R & R her front & rear custom doors put in through Home Depot, the contractor sent out had hacked the doors completely, and then the customer, after being please with our professional work, choose to stiff us because Service Magic didn't inform the customer that we were not licensed. We are a handyman company, servicing any/ all small jobs for $500.00 or less... Material is separate and at face value. Stay away from Service Magic!

Update by Valerie
Oct 15, 2008 11:36 am

I hired a contractor referred by Service Magic. That was the first mistake. The job was never finished, the contractor said he ran out of money. He had all of mine though. The work that was done is a joke. Drains connected to nothing. Flagstone ruined. Laborers coming over on Sundays telling me they were never paid. Service Magic contacted me to see how I liked the service, so I told them. Service magic's response was condescending and downright snotty. Nasty little e-mails, acting like I am the scammer. They can keep the stinking $500.00. It will cost me over $20, 000.00 to fix the mess. Never again.

2 comments
Jan 26, 2009 9:05 pm

You don’t need Service Magic! Their verification system and customer ratings are joke. I’ve seen scam companies listed on their website with 100% positive rating. It’s all about money. Stay away, relay on your intuition, always ask and check references. If your project is large ask the contractor to show you recently completed projects and talk to their customers in person. Service Magic does not care about you. What they care about is money!

Nov 16, 2008 7:55 pm

This Service Magic Company had charged my credit card even though I didn't have a signed contract with them. I didn't complete any work on their behalf.
I will fully support a class action suit against this company.

11:49 am

HomeAdvisor - Ripped off

I actually had a good working relationship with Service Magic. I was okay with the fees and leads and they did me pretty good until I accepted a lead building a simple deck. I built the deck got paid and everything was good. Then after two weeks, the customer found "flaws" in the deck so I went back and corrected them. I actually went back 5 times over two months. After 35 years doing this work, I realized this woman was scamming me. All she had to do was to complain to service magic and they deducted $500 out of my bank account for her. My real problem was I was never told or even warned the money was to be taken out. Not to mention to reinstate me the wanted another $600 and never could explain what that was for.

6:55 am

HomeAdvisor - false promises

Based on the endorsement of Service Magic, Inc., we hired their member, the Colorado Radon Institute, for mold & asbestos testing. The owner of Colorado Radon Institute, Michael Merit, came to our apartment and allegedly performed the tests. While collecting samples, he told us we had black mold which could be hazardous to our health. We paid Michael Merit and he cashed the check. However, he failed to provide us with the lab results or respond to our calls, emails or letter.

So, we contacted Service Magic, Inc. and spoke with Harry Patkowski and Tammy Wright. We also emailed the following Service Magic representatives: (1) Co-Chairman, Michael Beaudoin; (2) Co-Chairman, Rodney Rice; (3) CEO, Craig Smith; (4) Senior Vice President, Ty Kasperbauer, ; (5) Senior Vice President, Ryan Sullivan; (6) Senior Vice President, Andy Zurcher; (7) Vice President, Jim Croft; and (8) Vice President, Tom Durant.

Ms. Wright stated Service Magic recommended and endorsed its member, the Colorado Radon Institute and its owner, Michael Merit, after he paid his $99.00 Service Magic fee and passed the "rigorous 10-Point Screening" check in 2007. Ms. Wright guaranteed Service Magic performed a background check for complaints, suspicious business activity, etc. We checked with the BBB and found Michael Merit had complaints filed against him dating back to May 2003, see http://denver.bbb.org/WWWRoot/Report.aspx?site=33&bbb=0885&firm=55000693.

Due to Michael Merit�s shady business practices, he changes company names to avoid being held accountable, see below:

Colorado Radon Institute

Telephone: (303) 328-0538

Email: radoninstitute AT aol.com

Website: http://www.servicemagic.com/rated.ColoradoRadonInstitute.12602646.Mold-and-Asbestos-Services.-12072.html

Micro Environmental

EnvironTech, LLC

Telephone: (303) 906-7238

Website: http://www.environtechllc.com/

The Eco Depot

dba Envirospect of Denver

Parker, CO 80134

Cell: (303) 809-8697 (cell)

Email: theecodepot AT aol.com

Website: www.envirospect.net

Despite Michael Merit�s suspicious business practices, Service Magic, Inc. accepted the Colorado Radon Institute and Michael Merit as members and have since endorsed and recommended their services, see http://www.servicemagic.com/rated.ColoradoRadonInstitute.12602646.html.

In fact, according to Service Magic�s Contractor Relations Specialist Harry Patkowski, he cannot even get in contact with Service Magic's pre-screened service magic professional Michael Merit. We rated Michael Merit accordingly on Service Magic�s web site and wrote, �BUYER BEWARE! Don't hire Service Magic's client, Michael Merit; you must read about them on http://www.concernedconsumers.com/. I gave him one star only because it was required for this submission.�

Nevertheless, Service Magic continues to advertise, endorse and recommend Michael Merit and the Colorado Radon Institute with five stars. Mr. Beaudoin, why do you continue to endorse such a client?

DO NOT USE THE SERVICES OF ANY OF THE ABOVE-NAMED COMPANIES - MORE LIKELY THAN NOT, THEY WILL MAKE FALSE PROMISES AND SCAM YOU OUT OF YOUR MONEY!

1 comment
Sep 27, 2010 1:35 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Thanks for a detailed and informative post. You can check if this contractor is still with ServiceMagic by using its "screen a pro" service. http://www.servicemagic.com/screen/

I hired a terrible roofer through Service Magic and just today determined that he is still with Service Magic.

5:29 pm
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I signed with Service Magic appx. one year ago offering my services as a real estate appraiser. After I went a "rigorous" and extensive check to verify my credentials which cost me $50.00 I was so "pleased" that I was "accepted". Two "qualified" leads (as they call them) later from two unscrupulous mortgage brokers made me think that this company doesn't...

5:48 am
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Sales man david reed claims to be able to hook your website for your business to hundreds of other pages and sites and promises that your website will be directly linked to service magics site free of charge as soon as you sign on. They list only the beneficial ratings of companies, and through 'direct match' wash there hands of bogus leads. Before you sign...

12:00 am

HomeAdvisor - fraudulent business practices of servicemagic, inc.

I had been contacted by ServiceMagic Inc in my business. They say they will give leads to work for $10.00 per lead. What they did was give leads that were dead ends. One lead was to build a garage. I am a garage door installer, not a garage or any other type of builder. The other leads never even had any answer on the phone.

I wrote and complained about the leads and the billing for these. They continued to bill me, so I wrote and told them why I should not be billed. Now, I got a letter today form CMI, a collection agency for them. They want $52.50 to take off a negative report. The report was wrongfully made to begin with. I suppose many would just pay the $52.50 so that they do not have a negative report. That is what they are counting on. Figure, if you get every customer for $52.50 and do nothing in return for it, you can make a decent living by ripping off other businesses. I would appreciate any ideas on what else can be done regarding this business. I am making a complaint to the Better Business Bureau and Consumer Affairs. Please, if you have a negative experience with them, report them so that they can be stopped! Thank you.

14 comments
Aug 20, 2012 7:05 pm

@ joe Moise

This would make sense in an ideal world, where everyone calls you for work, but when you need leads, but have vultures like Service Magic, hijacking your company name and replacing your number with theirs, even after canceling the service, this can become a challenge! Take them to court? Hardly! Service Magic is part of a vast enterprise of internet businesses owned by some mega corporation and enough money to string you along for decades, bleeding your time and money away...

Jul 28, 2012 1:29 pm

A good way to eliminate alot of the frustration with the interpretation of the services provided in a lead service like this, would be ONLY pay for leads where you actually get the job. Charge a % of the contract agreement which would be fair to the service provider as well as the contractor. It would give the service provider more incentive to actually make sure the homeowners are serious and not wasting the contractors time and money. It's a shame this country is in such a shambles job wise that every body and their brother has to resort to becomming a contractor to try and make a living. It leaves vultures like Service Magic the opportunity to cherry pick bank accounts.

Jun 22, 2011 8:34 pm

Good afternoon ARGFL –

I am sorry that you are frustrated with us and would like to get a chance to discuss what kind of problems you are having with us. You can contact me directly at 303.963.8066 or e-mail me at mblack [at] servicemagic.com.

Thank you and I look forward to speaking with you.

Jun 22, 2011 8:33 pm

Good afternoon ARGFL –

Thank you and I look forward to speaking with you.

Jun 21, 2011 10:15 pm

If you are a contractor that has had problem with ServiceMagic, I would enjoy speaking with you. Why? I am the owner of an appliance repair company that is having problems with this company of thieves. E-mail [email protected]

T
May 12, 2011 8:44 pm

ServiceMagic is a great company of whom use picky shoppers know this is our best bet to get a quality professional. Going to court for $50 give me a break ! SM is Legit and above comments are from other companies trying to hate. So WTF ever !

Sep 15, 2010 10:16 am

Servicemagic is an unwanted expensive middleman adding no value to the contractor - consumer relationship. Contractors pay stiff fees to join, and for every "lead" provided, whether they get the gig or not. Information about contractors is scanty and inaccurate - many are not there for long, and pass on their bad experience to the end customer.

I was approached to be a contractor in a cold call. The salesperson was aggressive and scripted, I wasn't interested, but kept getting repeat calls. My first question kept getting circumvented, simply: "How much does this cost?" The price structure was ludicrous. For most people on either side, there are direct ways of getting in touch with each other - all much cheaper and more satisfying. SM does not provide more customers to your market, or more contractors... All they do is give contractors willing to PAY a little extra edge in reaching lazy, less informed customers - and these are not necessarily GOOD customers.

The insult on top of this is that I was added to a spam mailing list immediately after declining. 3 or more emails per day - not branded with servicemagic's name, but anonymously offering contractors for a variety of services. They all resolved through a link bidding system to Servicemagic! I was getting additional spam from these same illegal marketers. Servicemagic had no website unsubscribe page, or department to deal with this. I finally contacted a public relations person who said she would stop this flow (they were evading my fairly aggressive spam filter). No luck. She claimed 3rd parties were not following "their rules". Uhhhh hello! So don't pay them!

The pressure of the economy I think has pushed them to more aggressive and unethical behavior to support their huge infrastructure - financed entirely by contractors passing on their fees to customers. Sad. Do whatever you can to make sure this leech business model does not survive!

I got both an unsolicited call and email from these folks today. They are both now in my spam folder (got to love Google Voice). Why are they marked as spam? It was unsolicited, the person leaving both messages had the attitude that I wanted to, nay, NEEDED to hear from them, and because what they are offering is as worthless.

The messages belong in the same folder as those emails telling me how much women want their men to produce gallons of more seminal fluids during sex. They both are laughable, presume to be from "experts" who may very well be (but who cares), and they are driven only by a desire to take money from your pocket.

When I googled them this page came up just below their listing.

I've been hounded lately by these types of companies and by SEO companies. Most of them are legit but even those are hiring people at low wages that are just there for a pay check - they don't know what they are doing and don't care about the job.

Why would I trust even the smallest part of my businesses future to these folks? What kind of business person would I be if I can't find any customers on my own?

If you own or work for a company like this why not do something productive with your abilities like sell tangible goods or worthwhile services? There are far too many companies like this in the US and they are just phantoms. They're companies that exist purely to make money off of the work that businesses should be doing themselves or otherwise should not be in business.

Dec 11, 2009 12:05 pm

Overall, lead generators are a better form of selling than traditional marketing. If you close one deal for every ten leads, you would lose much more money sending mailers, paying for an outsourced salesperson/telemarketer, or hiring a marketing company to accomplish these goals. If you didn't get a refund from print advertisement (newspapers, magazines, mailers) would you complain and form class action suits?! Have to spend money to make money. If you're not happy, change. Pick up the phone and call a few thousand prospects from a purchased list, or create a website to generate traffic, or whatever else you "know" that works. If it's not a referral, good luck waiting for the work to come your way.
I have been a contractor longer than I wish to realize, and I'm sick and tired of other contractors complaining about everything everyday. If you can't handle the business of owning a construction company, go back to work for one that knows how!

K

I would love to take Service Magic to Court. I am the office manager for a construction business and heard all the guidelines and Information that "Steve" from SM gave me.
However, after we accepted and paid for a lead, the customers number was disconnected and her email address was fake. I called SM for a credit and they said they would check into it. No word back from them and I can't get a hold of Crystal who is managing our account... We have had a total of 18 leads and not a one have panned out. I have called and emailed when a lead is accepted and yet nothing. Most people are just fiddling around on the internet and have no intention of having any type of contracting work done.
So do I think Service Magic is a rip off? YES
O and to the guy who works there and thinks we are all dumb... he is a tech stuck in a cubicle who answers the phone. Im sure you had to have a Masters Degree for that, right?

Jun 25, 2009 2:43 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Obviously, whoever answered from Service Magic is uniformed that Service Magic REQUIRES the contractors to be licensed and insured before they can even do business with Service Magic. So when they said:

Contractors are sometimes dumb, impatient, selfish, un-licensed, un-insured, etc. It is so hard to really get someone in the service and fully inform them of how we work. We are the next generation form of advertising..

It makes me wonder whether they even know what they are talking about? The contract was taking leads from Service Magic, so he had to be insured and licensed, daaa?

Personally, I have a business that is advertised on Service Magic
and I know all the rules of the game. I have gotten several leads that were profitable and several that were dead ends because either the customer did not fill out the forms with correct information or the customer rep did not transcribe it correctly over the phone. In either case, what bothers me is that Service Magic has not given me credit for any of the leads that fit within their "criteria" for giving credit
and it has been past 7 days. So, yes, this is very unethical in practice.
They are quick to charge the contractor for the lead, but drag their feet on issuing credits or don't issue them at all. Whats up with that?

Now, to clump us contractors all into one group and call us dumb, insured, impatient, and selfish just turns me off all the more and
shows how unprofessional this person really is. Does Service Magic know how they are representing this corporation?

Nov 17, 2008 3:22 pm

Just to inform the new readers of this post, the above contractor is currently enrolled into our program and doing great!

Aug 25, 2008 11:47 am

I work for ServiceMagic.com. Yes we do telesales but it is important that if you are thinking of joining a service like this you are aware of everything that goes on. The pseron aboves first complaint is that he is a garage door guy he does not build garages. This is a homeowners mistake in filling out a service request. Homeowners are not contractors they are homewners and they do not always know what they need done. This is where contractors come in to inform the homeowner. ServiceMagic provides 5 circumstances in which we provide lead replacements. This happens to be one of them. Did the contractor even know this? Did he ask the right questions and become fully informed of how we work. My thought is no. I am not bad mouthing this contractor but lets be real. Contractors are sometimes dumb, impatient, selfish, un-licensed, un-insured, etc. It is so hard to really get someone in the service and fully inform them of how we work. We are the next generation form of advertising and it really is the most cost effective way to find actual customers that lead to jobs/contracts. My retention rate as of 2 years at SM is about 75% or 3 out of 4. The people that ask the right questions and do great work make a lot of money from us and expand their business. Poeple who are contractors and not bussinessman usually do not do well within the service!
As far as the leads that didn't turn into anything. This does happen and that is why we do a checklist with a 3rd party within SM. It is imprtant that this person ask the contractor questions regarding the funamentals of the service. If the contractor disagrees with anything, the checklist will be rejected and the contractor cannot move forward. We asked him a question that stated these are leads and not guarenteed jobs do you understand? This contractor obviously said yes. Not all jobs are going to close but if i send you 10 leads and you close 1 you should make a profit. after you grow you profile which contractors often neglect you should increase your closing ration making SM more effective in the long run. This contractor obviously only took on a few leads and now is complaining versus understanding what you must do to be successful in the program.
The person above wrote "Maybe we can get a class action lawsuit going to force Service Magic to stop thier unethical business practices." How do you know this contractor is good at what he does. Maybe he never called the homeowners back right away and other more professional contractors won the job. Then is it servicemagics fault or the contractors? If the job was landed then the contractors!

May 06, 2008 1:36 pm