Sears / hot water heater repair

York, PA, United States
We called Sears to help us fix our hot water heater, which kept shutting off on us. They told us there would be a $70 charge for coming. When the technician came in, he spent five minutes looking at it and told us there was not enough air flow in the area for the pilot light to stay on and that we needed to get louvered doors on our storage area. Then, he charged us $166, saying we could complain because even he thought it was too high, but he had to charge for the diagnostics test, plus a $40 fee for the one sentence of wisdom he imparted on us, telling us to get louvered doors.
We put vents into the wall to get more air flow in the area. When, that didn't work, we began to leave the doors wide open. That still didn't work. The heater needed to be constantly reset, and we had absolutely no problems with our furnace, which also sits back in the same area. When we called Sears within the 90-day guarantee period, they wanted to charge us another $70 to come out again to take another look. Some guarantee!
I will never give this store my business again. I will never call their repair service. I believe this is fraud because they didn't honor the 90-day guarantee, and this is serious misrepresentation of fees because they told us $70 and never cleared the added charges with us.
STAY AWAY FROM SEARS REPAIR SERVICE! They are the epitome of corporate greed, and they don't care if customers are satisfied or not! I would have been happy to pay the charges if they had fixed the thing, and I would have forgiven them if they had made an effort to keep us satisfied customers. It's a shame in this day and age that once respected businesses like Sears has put profits over people.
Kp