Sears Repair / no repair

I am beyond angry at this point and I am tired of talking to people who are trained to tell me they can't do anything for me.

I'm kicking myself for this but last Monday night, I called to make an appt. for service because my freezer wasn't working well. They told me it would cost $75 just to come out plus parts and labor for the repair OR I could purchase a repair warranty for $250 which would cover the repair and if the repair costs less, I could get a refund. I got the repair warranty.

They told me someone would come between 8 am and 12pm on Tuesday. Someone finally showed up at 4pm. No one every called to update me that the tech was running late. The tech diagnosed the problem in 5 minutes, changed the motor on the fan (which I know was already working) and was out of there in less than 30 minutes. That same night the freezer is still not working and now the refrigerator is getting warm so I called back and they tell me they can't get someone here until Monday of this week. I called back Wednesday morning and finally got someone who was able to schedule an appt. for me from 9-5 that day (yes, the day before Thanksgiving). At 5 pm, he shows up and after 5 minutes, he tells me my compressor is bad and it will be 5-10 days to order the part and fix it.

Plus it would be an extra $144 since my warranty only covered me to $500. I refused to pay, he ordered the part anyway and scheduled the repair for yesterday morning, Thursday. At 10:45 the tech calls because he's on the way. I don't have the part yet so he can't come. At 11 am, just 15 minutes later, the part comes. I call back and I'm told the tech will come back. At 3, I call back and I'm told the tech will not call back and the next available appt is Dec. 5. He forwards me to someone who seems to understand the situation and she says she will talk to the routing mgr and try to get me in for today or tomorrow and she will call me back.

Of course, no phone call, I call back this morning and I'm given the Dec. 5 date again. The CS reps won't transfer me to the local dispatch and they won't force an appt for me because it's a 3 hour job they say. I spent about 3 hours on the phone this morning trying to get an earlier appt. No success. I tried to get my warranty refunded so I can call a local repair man. No success. The first useless appointment used up the cost of the warranty. I am livid at this point.

At the risk of sounding like a spoiled brat, I want my refrigerator fixed ASAP! I have a 3 and 4 yr old and trying to provide meals for my family using a dorm size fridge for 2 weeks is unacceptable.

Fast forward to Dec. 5, the tech comes at approx. 11:30. Gets right to work installing the compressor. After 2 hours, it's in and the fridge still doesn't work well. He waits a bit and opens more of the fridge. Then decides that the problem may be the freon flow so he vacuums it out and refills and now the fridge seems to be working. Had a competant teck done that at the very visit, Sears and I would have saved alot of money. I'm out the money for the warranty, plenty of spoiled food in excess of what I will be reimbursed, money spent on fast food, and money for another small fridge to hold us over. The worst part is I did not get one sympathetic cs person out of the 20+ that I've spoken too. They must hear my same sob story all day every day. It's ridiculous. A 4 yr old unit should not be broken so soon in my opinion. Not if it were a quality product. My only saving grace is that I got a WONDERFUL repair tech to come today. If it were one of the others, I'm sure they would have replaced the compressor which wasn't broken and left before realizing the refrigerator was still not working. I am beyond upset and frustrated at this point.

Va

Comments

To
  1st of Oct, 2008

Hey, take a look at the user manual that came with your fridge. If you don't have it anymore, look it up online. I think that the compressors in Sears refrigerators are covered for 5 years. Read yours carefully and see what it says. The full five year warranty on the compressor for my fridge (2 1/2 years old--just had almost identical problem as you) had almost the exact same wording as the full one year warranty on the entire fridge. So when they tried to tell me that I would have to pay for labor, etc., I insisted that no, Sears was going to have to actually follow what their warranty said. It took talking to a lot of people there for a couple of hours, but they did cover it 100% AS THEY SHOULD HAVE.

Here's what my warranties say. Notice that the wording is the same, expect for the years, and what is covered. That means if all the expenses of parts and labor are completely covered in the full one year warranty for the fridge, then they are completely covered in the full five year warranty for the compressor: (words that are different are in brackets)

[One] Year Full Warranty on [Refrigerator]

For [one year] from the date of purchase, when this refrigerator is operated and maintained according to the instructions supplied with it, Sears will repair

[this refrigerator]

free of charge, if defective in material or
workmanship.

=======

[Five] Year Full Warranty on Sealed Refrigeration System

For [five years] from the date of purchase, when this refrigerator is operated and maintained according to the instructions supplied with it, Sears will repair

[ the sealed system, consisting of refrigerant,
connecting tubing and compressor ]

free of charge, if defective in material or workmanship.

Sears needs to HONOR the warranties they give to people who trust them to do so! Make them do it! What they're doing is so wrong. You shouldn't have had to buy ANY additional policy at all or pay ANY additional funds. That extra policy (called a Service Smart Agreement) can still be cancelled because you have 60 days to cancel it. Here is the number for cancellation--800-775-2023.

I hope this helps. It makes me upset that because I happened to find some of this info online and knew this, that they paid for mine after talking to enough people. But they're ripping everyone else off.

Good luck!