Sears Kenmore Refrigerator / fraud and scam

NY, United States Review updated:
Bought a Sears Kenmore Fridge back in November of 2006. Stopped working at x-mas, yes, a month after the one-year warranty. (By the way, since when did we start assuming appliances such as a Refrigerator were only good for a year?). So, I figured I was screwed and chocked it up to bad luck on my part, and went and bought another, this time with my partner buying the service warranty. OK, so I thought it was just back luck, and gave em the benefit of the doubt.

Well, I thought I might try to have it fixed on my own dime. So, last week I had the local technician (RECOMMENDED BY THE LOCAL SEARS, MIND YOU) come and give me an assessment for cost of fixing it. I have kept it stored under cover on the back porch for a few months now.

He took one look, and asked when I had had it repaired. Never, of course, for I hadn't. In one year? "Well, look here--that is a repair." And sure as $^% in the back of this still clean, brand spanking new clean fridge was the very obvious evidence of a poor attempt at repairing the dryer part of the cooling system. Keep in mend these copper pipes are small and take lots less heat to solder and fix, and the quarters are/can be tight back under there...

Not only was the tube coming from the dryer damaged, but wires behind it were burnt bare from the torch that was used. I have done enough plumbing in my life to see and agree with him that someone botched the job, AND did not notify me that it was a REPAIRED APPLIANCE that they were selling me.

That is fraud, people. Fraud. Turns out that he would bet his entire 20-something career that SEARS fixed it and then sold it to me. This is a Sears recommended repairman, did I already mention that? Called Sears--they gave me the BS runaround and ultimately told me I was out of luck because they weren't called within the warranty period to fix it.

Hmmm... and I was going to give them the benefit of the doubt. Not now. Not after what I have found out about this appliance. I will be notifying BBB, and others. Meantime, I am telling everyone, and spreading the news of their corruption and HORRIFIC service.

And I am canceling my card, of course.

Boris McGiver,
August 31, West Fulton, NY, 12194

Comments

Jo
  27th of Mar, 2009
Good for you. ### Sears. never again. I usually try to avoid them but this one was not my idea. My refrigerator is down for the 3rd time in one year and they won't replace it.

Sears Brands Logo Sears Brands