Sears Kenmore / over the range microwave

1 MI, United States

5 years ago we purchased a Kenmore Microwave oven from Sears, Model # 721.[protected]

We recently noticed that the glass in the front of the door had slid down partway into the door, leaving a gap at the top to which microwave radiation could leak out. I called Sears Consumer complaints and she told me she had never heard of such a thing, but to unplug it and NOT use it until service could come out. Of course the microwave was no longer under warranty. I was not comfortable with just a quick fix anyway, as that is very dangerous to have radiation leaking into the home. The repair man called me and told me it would cost upwards of $180 just for a new door, that did not include labor charges.

We ended up purchasing a new microwave. NOT a Sears/Kenmore. I will never use that product again. Unfortunately a majority of my appliances are Kenmore, but they do not stand behind their product. Even though it was no longer under warranty, I felt we should have been re-imbursed or credited the amount of the microwave oven. This was a very dangerous situation for my family. I have told many people about this issue with my microwave and will not ever own a Kenmore appliance again.

Oo