Sears / Kenmore Elite Electric Built - In Oven / Condensation between the glass on oven door

1 Citrus Heights, CA, United States Review updated:

My complaint is "condensation in between the glass on the top oven door" on the brand new Kenmore Elite Electric Built-in Double Oven (Model No. 790.[protected]), that is 7 months old. I noticed the condensation on the top oven door around November 2010. The oven was purchased on 04/26/10. This is enough condensation that the water will drip down creating water streaks in between the glass and viewing cooking is hindered.

On 11/26/10 I had a technician (Antonio; Tech #719013) out to my house from 1-800-4-MY-HOME to resolve this defect since the oven is still under warranty. He told me that there was nothing he could do except take the door apart and clean it, which he would have to charge me for, because this is not covered under the warranty. He told me this was a cosmetic problem. I would have had to pay over $100.00 to have him clean it and with every time I cook it would just happen again and again. Needless to say I was very unhappy that he would not resolve this defect in my oven that is still under warranty and is not just a cosmetic problem. I ended up having to ask the technician to leave my home and was very upset. I then went to the store I purchased the oven and talked with the manager, who also could not believe that Sears would not stand behind this product either.

This is not just a cosmetic problem. The glass on an oven door is there for viewing food while it is baking, which is why they put it on the door, and if during the baking you cannot view the food at all then that function of the oven is not working properly. If I had wanted an oven without a window, I would have purchased that style. Being able to see the food while it is cooking and not having to open the door is a very important function in the cooking process. Also, I was told by a reliable source that the water will eventually collect, rust and corrode the door of the oven in time. This is a defect in this oven door and Sears should fix it, replace it and resolve with no questions asked.

Pp

Comments

• Jp
      1st of Oct, 2011

I have the same problem with Kenmore Electric Single Wall Oven model # 79048833. I purchased it in 6/11. This is the second oven I received. The first was making a terrible humming sound and had condensation. I received a new oven for the humming problem which they could not fix - had tech come to my house at least 2x. They replaced it in July and I am still having the same condensation problem. I've called Sears several times and was told it was not a defect but that how it was designed. I advised Sears then they should be it in there description of the product. Oven glass condensates when in use. They will not send a tech out because they don't see it as a flaw. Meanwhile, the window is foggy, wet and dripping. I was also told if I want it clean there would be a charge. This is ridiculous! My old oven (15 yrs) which worked perfectly fine never had this problem. I see this as a design defect and Sears sees it as the new design. Can someone help me or make some suggestions. I also saw blogs on Electrolux and other ovens with the same problem - some have been replaced and some have not.

• Se
      4th of Oct, 2011

To j. punzone,

I apologize for the issues that you are having with your new Kenmore wall oven. I can understand your frustration being told that the condensation is part of the design of the oven. My name is James and I’m part of the Sears Cares Escalations team. We do value you as a customer and would like to see how we can help with this unfortunate situation. At your convenience, please contact my office via email at smsupport@searshc.com. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the oven is listed under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide your screen name (j. punzone) for reference to your issue, and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

James H.
    Social Media Moderator
    Sears Social Media Support

• Je
      10th of Nov, 2011

I have an electrolux oven with the same problem with condensation forming on the inside of my beautiful electrolux oven. I am so upset about this. When I spoke to Electrolux they told me that there was nothing that they could do for me and that I would just have to have the door cleaned periodically. It looks terrible and is an eyesore in my kitchen. If you get any relief for this problem can you please let me know. My email is jstuart503 @gmail.com.

• Lo
      4th of Apr, 2012

So nothing has changed with the Sears product! We just purchased (March 2012) ALL sears kitchen products (so they match--dishwasher, refrig, wall over/microwave, and cook top) and the oven has the condensation problem...STILL! How can Sears ignore this issue for two years and do NOTHING about it? I also heard the same explanation, that this is a know problem, it is not a warranty item/issue and there is nothing Sears can do. I am seriously considering having Sears come and remove all appliances -- might be a tough fight.

• Gr
      19th of Nov, 2014

Unfortunately I saw these postings too late. I also purchased a complete Kenmore kitchen in June. I absolutely HATE my stove/convection oven. Sears also informed me that the condensation and black debris is cosmetic and not covered under the warranty. They also told me because I didn't contact them within 30 days of purchase, I cannot exchange it. (I have had the appliances 5 months and just recently used the oven and cleaning feature)