Sears - Kenmore / Light Stays On - Unsafe

1 Albany, NY, United States Review updated:

Lights inside the refrigerator (Kenmore Elite Trio) stay on causing light cover to melt, fire hazard. Have had no luck with Sears fixing this problem (unless I pay for it).

Comments

Ro
  31st of Oct, 2008

I have the same problem. I've noticed the light cover falling off from time to time. Now the food on the top shelf is hot, making me realize the light stays on. This is under warranty. I may try to see if I can find LED lights so they don't get hot, or go without lights. Kenmore ELITE, eh?

Ti
  2nd of Dec, 2008

I have the same problem. Replaced both bulbs with CFLs which come on annoyingly slow especially in the cold, but it's better than a fire. It doesn't seem to be the switches they are simple open / close and seem to be working. The door open alarm does NOT sound but the light stays on. This is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Ed
  9th of Jun, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

Don't do any fixes yourselve. Today, June 9th, 2009, Sears fixed my two and a half year old refrigerator (out of warranty without service contract) with no cost to me. Just be patient and escalate your claim to Sears Corporate. They will going to fix your refrigerator because this is a fire waiting to happen. As a matter of fact I notified them that I submitted a claim with the Consumer Product Safety Commision. I think this would help to escalate your claim with Sears.

Changing the bulbs is not a fix, since you must replace the main board to fix the problem. This board controls the lights. Since the board is damaged your bulbs will stay on forever.

Ed.

Rk
  30th of Nov, 2009

I have the same problem. The lights stayed on and melted the all the parts that surround the bulbs and ruined the top 2 shelves and doors full of food - and this was only overnight! I will escalate to Sears as this is dangerous as pointed out by other posts. We were likely we were home.

Randy

Be
  19th of Jun, 2010

Same thing happened to me today! 3 lbs. of butter melted everywhere! The control panel melted off and is laying on the shelf . I had to take the bulbs out! Fire hazard waiting to happen! I am calling kenmore and sears tomorrow morning. If this is not fixed free of charge I am calling consumer product safety conmmission.

Jo
  3rd of Jul, 2010
Agree Disagree -1 Votes

Same thing happened to my refrigerator - the bulbs stayed on, overheated everything on the top shelf, and then the light fixture melted and dropped down. I spent two hours on the phone with Sears, even though one (nameless) technician admitted there is a problem, they will not fix my 2 year old unit - unless I pay the full repiar of course. This is a HUGE fire issue, I'll never buy a Sears product again!

Ms
  5th of Aug, 2010

Same thing, except mine is interrmittent. Sometimes on, sometimes off when I open the door, but the bulbs are burning hot.
I can see the fixture that holds them has melted some. Glad I found this site. I will call Sears.

Si
  7th of Jan, 2011

I have the same problem this week with my Kenmore refrigerator. The light is on intermittently but is on long enough to melt butter and spoil food and smell up the kitchen with a hot plastic odor. Of course, the warranty is only for one year unless you purchase the extended warranty which I did not do. Sears will send a technician next week but I have no idea what this will cost to have repaired. I am planning on filing a complaint with the Consumer Product Safety Commission as I am quite concerned about a possible fire, which many others have experienced. This appears to be a defect in the refrigerator - LG manufactured this frig and many of their customers also have the same problem.

Si
  7th of Jan, 2011

Addendum to my above post:
I need to remove the light bulbs to avoid a fire or melting my refrigerator. How did I remove the plastic light cover without breaking it? My model is 795-77304600.

To
  23rd of Feb, 2011
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

After checking the various internet sites, I was able to get the SEARS safety reall department. This particular fridge has a faulty motherboard and the light stays on when doors are closed - causing a fire hazard. SEARS DID FIX IT FOR FREE!!! I bought mine in 2006 and warrantly ran out BUT it is under recall!!! Phone number for Sears Safety recall (product resolution center)is 800-659-7026. Good luck!! call them, they will fix it for this model!!

St
  28th of Apr, 2011
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

Thanks for the heads-up. I seem to have a similar problem! Will take out the bulbs and call Sears.

Se
  28th of Apr, 2011

Dear statsmeyer,

I saw your post here and wanted to reach out and apologize for the trouble you have had with your refrigerator. I see from your post that you stated you would be calling Sears and if you still need assistance we would like to help.
My name is Laura with the Sears Cares Escalations team and we are a single point of contact for escalated concerns. Please contact my office via email at smsupport@searshc.com so that we may address the refrigerator issue in a timely manner. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the snow thrower was serviced under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide the screen name (statsmeyer) you used to post on this site, for reference to your issue, and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

If any other viewers of this thread need assistance with this or any other Sears’ related issue we want to hear from you as well. Please do email us at smsupport@searshc.com with your contact information and a brief description of the situation and we will be glad to assist you.

Laura D.
Social Media Moderator
Sears Social Media Support

Li
  25th of Aug, 2011

We have had the same issue. The lights stayed on, melted the top of the inside of the refrigerator and the light cover fell off. The metal thing that holds the lights is drooping down now and we can't put anything on our top shelf!

Kl
  3rd of Sep, 2011

We just had the same issue. The roof of the refrigerator melted as did the light cover. The light sockets are black indicating a fire hazard. Now it will not go under 50 degrees . We will be losing all of our food in there. I tried reaching customer service and they put me on hold for 30 minutes. I will be trying the recall number. We were lucky we were not out of town!

Dd
  12th of Sep, 2011

After a very frustrating call with Sears Customer Service - which attmepted to sell me an extended warantee - I tried the Recall Center with great results. Thank you for the posting

Pu
  14th of Sep, 2012

Same thing just happened to me. I remember getting a notice from a class action lawsuit that this was a defect that LG and Sears had agreed to fix at no charge to their customers (as part of the setttlement) but I never responded because I never noticed the problem and figured that my refrigerator was not affected by it. Yesterday I opened my refrigerator and found that the light cover had melted and my food had spoiled from the light staying on. When I called the service department at Sears (9/14/2012), they told me that they could fix the problem but that I would have to pay for it. When I told the representative that the Kenmore website indicated that this problem would be covered under an extended warranty (for the light issue) and that I was holding a copy of the class action settlement also indicating that it would be repaired under warranty, they transferred my call to a "supervisor" who agreed to set up an appointment to have the issue fixed at no cost to me. Sears should be ashamed that they are trying to make loyal customers pay for a known problem that they have already agreed to fix (in court) at no cost to the customers. Bravo Sears, Bravo.

Ma
  15th of Oct, 2012

Thanks to statsmeyer above for the phone number to get this recall fixed. Part is on back order and I imagine it will take at least two months to fix this problem...you would think Sears would be at my doorstep the next day to fix this life-threatening defect. I'm sure when they do come, they won't have the necessary parts to fix this...it's always something with Sears.
Mario

20th of Oct, 2012

Yes, same thing here. Good thing it was caught before a fire started. I filed a complaint @ Saferproducts.gov - everyone having this problem should file a complaint. Since Sears has the ability to identify all purchasers via their databases it is truly negligent on their part that a recall/service notice was not sent out. All customer service and repair units for Sears should get a pop-up/warning when the particular model numbers are plugged in and not make the consumer jump through hoops to get this fixed. I want a new fridge or at least a decent monetary credit to purchase a new one - do I want to keep this one? Well, not really. I have not contacted Sears yet but will.

Se
  25th of Oct, 2012

Good afternoon 10309,

I saw your post today and wanted to reach out to you to offer our assistance. My name is Mike and I am a member of the Sears Social Media Support team. I am sorry to see that your refrigerator is not working properly at this time. We realize how important it is for this matter to be resolved as quickly as possible, as your refrigerator stores your food, drinks, and medicines. We would like to connect you with a dedicated case manager to further discuss your situation and see what options may be available to you concerning your refrigerator. At your convenience, please send us an e-mail containing your preferred contact information, including the phone number that your refrigerator was purchased under, to SMAdvisor@searshc.com. Also, please include your Facebook screen name, (10309), for reference to your issue. Thank you for your time and we hope to speak with you soon.

Mike D.
Sears Social Media Support

Fo
  27th of Dec, 2012

I got up last night and smelled something when I opened my Kenmore Elite frig for something to drink. This morning noticed the same smell and at closer inspection realized the light was hot and the first two shelves were warm.In fact it was so hot I was afraid it was going to catch fire so I called my husband and he came home and we unplugged our frig. I called Sears repair with the same results as everyone else... they said they'd send someone but it'd cost me and tried to sell me an extended warranty. I checked online and found this thread. I'm appalled at Sears and I have purchased several appliances from Sears. I want this fixed at no charge and outraged they knew about this and did not send notice to anyone. If I had been gone my house could have caught fire! I will be contacting the consumer products safety. thank you for all your posts.