Safeway Stores / stupid policy

1 Santa Rosa, CA, United States Review updated:

Safeway has some lame policies, but by far the most annoying to me is the practice of attempting to read your name off your receipt when you check out and trying to thank you, by name as you are heading out the door. Very insincere. Very stupid. They need to stop this at once.

Why? Well, for starters, check out clerks aren't the most literate people in the world so unless your name is smith or jones, they are going to mispronounce it. And since the name that appears by using a store "club card" is often wrong, they call people by the wrong name frequently.

I know because i have both problems. i have the wrong name on my club card and it is apparently difficult for safeway employees to pronounce although i don't see the problem, really (it's Voightlander). For the past five years, employees in the Santa Rosa, CA Safeway (4th Street) where I shop have been calling me that name. I tell them it's not me but they still do it. And they absolutely butcher it every time. I've gotten to the point where I just answer to it and usually help them with the pronunciation. Sometimes I'll offer an explanation like, "Oh, it's Dutch.'" They just nod, blankly.

It just amazes me that some corporate genius thought this was a good idea.

Pa

Comments

• Re
      6th of Mar, 2010

Dale Carnegie assumed people LOVE it when they are called by their name. Most retail stores follow this philosophy. That was one of his most important tenet in How to Win Friends and Influence People. (I guess to a certain degree he may have introduced ### Kissing but that's another issue). My real name is hard to pronounce too but I'd rather prefer people make an effort to pronounce my name and butcher it the first few times until they get it right. If I'm a regular customer I'd rather the employees call me by my name rather than "Ma'am".

• Hj
      7th of Mar, 2010

Well, it shows your intellect level with the statement - "Well, for starters, check out clerks aren't the most literate people in the world." I worked as a cashier while going to college for my doctorate degree in psychology. I do believe I had to be somewhat literate to accomplish that.

• Iv
      22nd of Mar, 2010

You're the stupid one, ###. What business do you have saying that cashiers are not literate? Arrogant dick. I'm in college, in all honors classes, and have a 3.7 GPA. I'm glad I quit so I don't have to deal with people like you.

• Av
      28th of Apr, 2010

Annoying, yes. So shop at a locally-owned grocery store instead. At my store they call me by my first name, and I know them the same way. They also know what I like and make sure to have it in stock. They ask me how my kids are doing. Why give your money to people who don't care? And it's not about price -- it's about the quality of your life, your dignity and even grace. Turn your complaint into action. Vote with your dollars and your feet. Shop elsewhere.

• Iv
      11th of May, 2010

Yes, go shop somewhere else, idiots. We're not the kinda people who take customer crap

• Ge
      31st of Jul, 2010

I was a backup checker at safeway for a year, got into two well endowed schools in the northwest. youre a dick for saying Well, for starters, check out clerks aren't the most literate people in the world." seriously man, 60% of the employees there, view it as just a JOB. its not our careers to be checkers there. sorry i guess you, the customer at safeway MUST be far more intelligent than the lowly Safeway checker, and apparently you can pronounce every last name spot on! bravo.