Safeway / pricing policy change

1 Redwood SquareOakland, CA, United States Review updated:

Safeway is getting even smarmier. Be cautious about sale items change of policy.

For many years if a discounted price (Usually club card price) on the shelf said buy 2 and save $x. Xx amount, the understanding was that buying one of that item meant the same discount. The suggestion only meant that you'd not save as much as you would if you bought two. That policy has changed without any public acknowledgment, according to the store manager. So if we customers are not watching closely, we'll be charged full price unless we buy a minimum of 2. Those of us who were used to that policy are most vulnerable. I imagine many people will never notice which i'm sure is fine with the safeway management and stockholders. At least the recession won't hurt them.

The price signs on the shelves look virtually the same as the old and don't explicitly say that you must buy two to get the discounted price. Albertson's (Now out of business here, or changed back to lucky) used this kind of subtle (Smarmy) strategy which was a primary reason I avoided using their store.

Now i'll take whatever business I can away from safeway and i'll be very cautious buying their sale items. Just be aware if you chose to shop there.

Comments

• Ra
      28th of Apr, 2009

This is completely incorrect. If an item is tagged as 10 for $10 each item is still only $1. Your information source is poor at best.
    I am currently a closing manager for Safeway. This policy has not changed.