Safeway Financial Services / fraud and cheating

1 United States

I received a letter dated October 12, 2008. It is an Official Notification Letter stating that I am one of 149 lucky winners through a random computer ballot held on August 26, 2008. The winning pot of $2, 860, 000 will be shared between us. My portion of the winning is $17, 990. After several attempts to reach Mr. Sean Peterson, who is my claims officer, I called the actual bank that is listed on the check: The Bank of New York Mellon, Boston, MA 02108.

I looked the bank up on the internet and it was a legitimate bank. I called [protected] option 3 to verify the check. I was then given [protected] to verify the check. I first spoke with Tracey, who told me that she couldn't give any information to me and that I had to have my bank call. So I called back under the name of Trina Dixon with Washington Mutual. I spoke with Jackie, who was such a pleasant lady. She verified that the checking account was open and that funds were available.

She asked if I wanted to verify that the check was written and I told her yes. She asked for the date on the check and who it was written for and she put me on hold. When she came back she told me that the check was not written by the account holder to the person on the check.

She asked me if my client had gotten a letter with this check about a lottery or sweepstakes winning. I told her yes, and she told me this was a scam and that I should let the person know that this check was not valid.

Like they said, if it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is! Dang, how unfortunate, right around Christmas time. Santa was going to really show out this year.

Ma