RyanAir / online check in facility

1 Glasgow Prestwick AirportPrestwick, Scotland, Strathclyde, United Kingdom Review updated:

Ryanair takes customer care seriously. Do you want to make a reservation - telephone the number they provide and be prepared to pay 10p/minute. Should you wish to make a complaint telephone a different number they provide and be prepared to pay £1/minute.
Flying from Glasgow Prestwick to London Standsted on 23rd July on 1015hrs flight and waited to be checked in. On reaching desk we were told I would need to pay £4 each for a boarding pass as I had not used the on line booking facility. £8 lighter in my wallet - mark it down to experience, read the small print in future (the booking was made on 24/06/08) On arrival at Stanstead I was able to access a computer but discoverd I could not book in online. This was contrary to the advise I had been given at Prestwick. End result I now had to pay £16 to board the 1655 hour flight back to Prestwick with my 2 grandchildren. The lady at the customer desk at Standstead empathised but still insisted on the money

Its now the eve before we all fly back to Stansted on 30/07/08. Still can't check in online. so it wil be another hit in my wallet.

The less than helpful message declining my online check in request gives the following reason for refusing:-

Trying to check in outwith the " no earlier than 5 days to flight or with less than 4 hours to fight.

" One or more of the airports are restricted ( staff at both locations have stated I should have checked in online)

They possibility of having items that require a check in at the desk ie sports equipment etc.

We had no bags to check in - a handbag only. The two children had hand luggage only.

As this is a complaint it can only be dealt with by utilising the premium rate telephone number (another money grabbing scheme) or write to their head office in Dublin.

I heard on the radio this week Rynair has suffered a big drop in profits due to the price of oil.

They will soon make it up with their customer care telephone charges

Comments

4th of Aug, 2009

I had a problem with ryanair's online check in which meant I had to call there premium rate internet help desk (irony), after a 25.16 euro phone call they could not help, I asked for my money back for the phone call, I was not surprised when I got the standard " no chance on earth" reply, so for a charge of 15 Euro I made an application to the small claims courts for my 25.16 euro phone call and the 15 euro court fees, after a while and two days before the court date Ryanair folded and I got all my money back, what a pleasure it was, the satisfaction of beating ryanair. The small claims court is a very effective tool, for the bully boys like Ryanair. If more people used this very effective and easy tool to get what is due to them from Ryanair and other low cost carriers. It is thier (airlines) duty to provide food, transport and accomodation when they have delays on their flights, one group of passengers refused to get of a fliht untill they (ryanair) had provided a bus to transport them after ryanair diverted to another airport, people power works too. As far as I know all EU countries have a small claims type court system in place, it is very simple and often done online without the use of solicitors, just give all the true relevent information and keep all ther reciepts for food, transport phone calls etc as they will form part of your claim. It is simple, if they delay, cancel or divert they have to look after you, it is the law, but I'm afraid the law rarly looks after you, but the small claims will always go by the letter of the law in black and white, so you can be sure of a very fair hearing. good luck and please use the small claims system it is brilliant to beat the liks of Ryanair. Chris. Co Galway, Ireland.