Real Canadian Superstore / self checkout

1 Canada Review updated:

Today I visited the Real Canadian Superstore at 190 Richmond Road, Ottawa, ON. After shopping for a few items I proceeded to the Self Checkout and was prompted by new graphics on the touch screen. My complaint is regarding the new software or different setup. Change is good, but this change is senseless; non-descriptive and juvenile graphics, lack of text, and no direction. When I spoke to a nearby employee, they said there have been lots of verbal complaints. Is there an explanation or goal you are trying to achieve by switching the system?

Ma
May 15, 2018

Comments

• 99
      15th of May, 2018

I agree with Mark. The new icon-only screens are confusing at best. I shop at a store in Winnipeg where there are very few Caucasian shoppers, so I assumed RCS replaced the text-based screens with 'pictures' to help people whose first language is not English. Why can't the screens show icons *and* (English) text?

• Sh
      23rd of May, 2018

I Completely concur with all these statements. The previous self checkout system was way more user friendly. I have advanced technology skills and was stumped by simply looking up an item without a bar code. Do not understand need or benefit of this new system. NOT USER FRIENDLY.

24th of May, 2018

Used the “new and improved” self checkout at Real Canadian Superstore a few times now. What a joke. Totally confusing design. Had a problem that stopped me from proceeding each time I used it. I’m an educated computer literate person — changes made to procedure are a disaster. Maybe go back to old checkout system which was much better. Or copy Walmart self checkout. It’s very quick and efficient— never a problem with their checkout!