Readers Digest Canada / Misleading Advertising

1 Nova Scotia, Canada Review updated:

I ordered a Canadian Music/Artists CD last year from a card that was enclosed with our RD subscription. The price indicated was $28.00 and change on the card plus shipping and handling. There were a few good songs on it and I remember the $28 standing out clearly in my mind because I have ordered maybe 3 things in my life from a mail-in. I do all remote purchasing on line where you can see the shipping, pricing, and have a contract and buyer protection (it was around the time I was spending postage stamps like pennies on the RD sweepstakes contests that I finally got sick of trying to keep up with).

I received the CD which had the expected music, feeling it was a bit pricey for what was offered, but since I'd ordered it knowing that, I'd pay for it. Then I saw the invoice was for over $88.00!!

That was a LONG way from $28 and change!! Gosh I wish I had the card - there wasn't any asterisk by the price or fine print apparent saying it would be 3 payments of $28 plus shipping. It was false advertising if my memory serves me right.

I wouldn't care HOW good the music was, no CD is worth $88 to me...

So now the collection calls have begun. I told them keep calling.

Comments

• Re
      26th of Aug, 2009

Readers Digest marketing practices are very much misleading. My wife got a letter, saying that she had won thousands of dollars. She just needed to reply to the mail in.

Thinking that Readers Digest Canada as a very old and reputable company, she mailed in thinking that she has won.

They kept sending a ``free copy of their magazines``every month ...

We were surprised to find out later that they wanted my wife to pay for the magazines. We have ignored they invoices.

This is a very dishonest marketing practice and we intend to contact BBB and report the situation.

• La
      17th of Nov, 2009
    Readers Digest Canada - no site exists as given to win a wii sports prize pkg.
    Readers Digest magazine
    Saskatoon
    Saskatchewan
    Canada

Information included in the monthly subscription indicating the existence of a website where we are directed to go and enter a special access code provided to enter for a chance to win a specific prize does not exist. The most current example is the prize to be drawn for Nov.30/09 for a Wii sports deluxe package at the www.rd.ca/wiisports . There is no such site and this is not the first time this has happened.