Raymour And Flanigan / horrible customer service

Purchased a couch from them 6 months ago- it now looks like it is 10 years old. I purchased the platinum protection plan and was told that if a tech came out and found it to be beyond repair that I would receive a replacement or refund. Well, the tech did come out and he did find that. He said the whole couch was damaged and there was nothing that could be done to fix it. I never received a call back regarding what was going to happen next. When I finally got through to someone, I was told my whole warranty is voided because there appeared to be cat scratches on the couch. The whole reason I purchased the plan was because the salesman told me it would protect against cat scratches. They refuse to give me a refund and say all they can do is send another tech out to look at it. I am confused and saddened. My 6 month old couch looks like it is 10 years old. Regardless of the warranty, my money should be refunded because they sold me such poor quality furniture. Has anyone had success filing a complaint with their credit card company or the better business bureau? Those are my next steps, aside from trying to get together a class action suit.

Va

Comments

• Ly
      20th of Oct, 2007
    Raymour and Flanigan - Terrible customer service

Salesperson rude..kept leaving us once a prior customer returned to pick out additional items. 45 mins wasted waiting for her.

When we were unsure about the size of a large piece, the saleslady informed us that we should order it anyway because of the sale, and there would be no problem with return. Ha!

First we had to deal with the store manager... after 5 phone calls, it was decided that I would be allowed to return the furniture.

2 weeks it took up space in my home, despite them knowing that I was scheduled to have carpet laid on that room. The third week my husband and son had to rent a dolly to take the 3 heavy pieces out to my garage. A total of 3 weeks of inconvenience.

Now finally, delivery date was set...between 8am and 1pm on my day off, a beautiful day that I could have spent outdoors with my family.

At 2:45 pm, I received a phone call stating that the men still had 3 stops ahead of me. Nice of them to call, finally! The little voice saying "I'm sorry" meant nothing to me.

Thank goodness, I purchased on a 1 month billing with no interest charge, and did not pay them anything. If it is that difficult for them to pick up their own goods, can you just imagine how they would be with returning my money!?!

• Ro
      19th of Nov, 2008

Do I understand you correctly? You purchased a couch that your cat used as a scratching post? and you want a warrantee to cover it? No warrantee will cover neglect, or abuse, such as Cat Claw tears, next time, save the money you would spend on the extra protection, and de-claw the cat with it.

• Gr
      10th of Apr, 2010

Does the warranty not clearly state that damage cause by animal beaks, teeth and claws is not covered? It does. Is there not any personal responsibility as consumer to read the warranty information? Should someone that has pets that destroy their furniture have the same rights as someone who doesn't have pets? Have you once purchased an insurance where they went over the entire agreement with you during the sale? I can almost guarantee no. It's your choice to have cats, and it's your choice not to have the declawed. Even if they were to replace this sofa, your animal would just destroy the next, just as quickly. And think about the environmental impact you'd be making having them replace a sofa, that will then have to be destroyed, because you choose to have cats. You are not the victim, this is all self imposed.

• Ta
      21st of Apr, 2010

I'm just wondering what couch you purchased... because I too bought a couch from them and after 6 months of use the cushions were flat, it is difficult to get out of because the springs provide such little support and the upholstery was worn out! I they sent me two sets of new cushions after numerous phone calls and conversations with customer service (the second set I paid $90 for higher density cushions!)... both of which felt as if they wore out in a matter of months... I demanded a tech come again a little over a year after it was originally purchased. He informed me that there was nothing they would do... the couch is deep set and because of the "poor spring structure" the cushions would always seem flattened. They would not refund my money and informed me that is was no longer under warranty (they only honor the one year from the manufacturer). I also purchased the Platinum Protection Plan... it doesn't cover horrible design and craftsmanship! I paid $2300 for my couch and over sized chair... ridiculous considering it looks 10+years old in less than 2 years. I was under the impression the Raymour and Flannigan was a reputable business... apparently not... it seems to me as though they knew the problem was the spring design all along and conveniently informed me of that after it was no longer under warranty. I will NEVER buy from them again! By the way the couch was called Chunkster. Don't buy it!!!