Quest Diagnostics / invoices addressed to minors

1 VA, United States

I have had this issue before - but did you all know that if your minor child is sent an invoice (addressed to the child/payable by the child) you, as a parent, are NOT LEGALLY responsible for the bill? Well - My 16 year old daughter received an invoice for lab work done by Quest. The envelope was addressed to her with the statement: "To be opened by Addressee Only". I wrote on the envelope: "Addressee is a 16 year old child. You want payment - address invoice property. Return to Sender". They sent out a second invoice addressed the same way. I, in turn, wrote the same note and returned the invoice. I then received a COMPUTER RECORDING call (not by a person, but by a damn computer) calling for my daughter regarding the bill. There was no way of obtaining a real person for customer service. I did learn from my pediatrician's office that Quest is quick to send their non-payments to collections. It has been almost a year and I haven't heard anything. But they need to either change the way they do billing or actually provide customer service with a voice and not "Press 1 if this is so-in-so" "Press 2 if this is not so-in-so". "Press 3 ... and so on. Need I say more?