PowerHouse Gym / closed down without telling anyone

egg harbor roadSewell, NJ, United States Review updated:
I had 2 years of membership left, fully paid, and they packed
up and left without any warning or compensation. Unable to
reach anyone to get this straightened out. Tried the mayor but
no reply from him.
A

Comments

Gl
  2nd of Jan, 2009
gave 30 day written notice to cancel month to month contract; several
Ba
  4th of Mar, 2009
I am very unhappy with this situation. They closed without any notice, and they charged me for the month of March.
Cancel your credit card before they get you to.
Ra
  24th of Jun, 2009
Exactly, had 1.5 years left on a membership in Waterford, Michigan, not to mention that my sister, her friends and my parents signed on when I did. The gym closed its doors without any notification or refund to any of us. When we went to the gym there is a new owner and a supposed new name, even though the building and signs still say power house, was told that the memberships are null and void, unless we pay $100 more per person for our initial contract to be reinstated.
Fu
  27th of Jul, 2009
Hey Rag1979, I have exactly the same issue at the same gym on Elizabeth Lake behind Applebees. Got the membership in October last year and basically am stuck holding a $202 piece of pink paper. Sounds like the former owners were selling "Promotional Memberships" to pad their coffers before they sold.

I thought my Bank (the nasty big one with the Red ATM's) might help but it looks like I am canceling all 5 of my accounts there too.
Ra
  27th of Jul, 2009
Hi there fuzzbutt...lol, well what I am trying to do is see if I can get the membership transfered to another power house before moving forward and filing law suits. My sister, father, brother and several of my sisters friends are all in this situation as well. When crap like this happens, it dampens peoples moods and turns them off from going to and joining gyms. This was not good tact for this gym to do this. However, I dont know if you heard, but if you give the new gym $100, they will at least allow you to keep your previous membership. (shrugs) is it worth it?
St
  16th of Dec, 2009
It was a scam, knew it from the beginning! They took me for almost $500! Some employees there closing down the gym were selling fake memberships and filling their pockets! It's bull ### and I'm not happy at all.