Planet Fitness / canceling membership

1 Poughkeepsie, NY, United States Review updated:

Recently due to a toe injury I hadn't gone to the gym so I decided to cancel my membership. So I sent a certified letter stating I wanted to cancel my membership and they did the problem is that day I mailed the letter out they took $30 out my account for a yearly fee and now they refuse to refund my money b/c they state I had to cancel membership before Sept 24, 2010. so be careful.

De

Comments

• Mi
      14th of May, 2010

Just a warning to those who do not know canceling your membership is obsurd. I went to my local gym with a doctors note stating i could not work out anymore due to medical issues and they informed me that i have to pay for another month because i didn't cancel it before the 10th of the month and they are going to charge me a fee for canceling. It was not my choice to cancel but after working with a trainer, who advised me to get a doctors note to cancel my membership I'm now being hasseled. After leaving several messages on the Planet Fitness Corporate Office answering machine (which I had to search for because it is not on their website) and requesting to speak to a manager about the situation, I have not received a single phone call back and, have not been privelleged enough to speak to a manager. I wish I would have found this site sooner it would have saved me the aggrivation, time and, money!

• Ex
      15th of Jun, 2011

Did you ever get to speak to anyone? I also just got squeezed for an additional month.

• Pe
      19th of Dec, 2011

READ YOUR CONTRACT PEOPLE!!! It states that you must cancel your membership by the 25th of the previous month to avoid an annual fee. Annual fees are non-refundable, however they should stop any future billing upon receiving cancellation and any buyout fees (if applicable)