National Car Rental / changed the rate when I returned the car

Real Simple. I rented the car at the Los Angeles. I returned the car in Orange County. My weekly rental rate was $148.88 on my original contract. Because I returned the car at the Orange County Airport instead of LAX, they charged me a $75.00 drop fee which I did not mind a bit and fully expected. Then upon my return they changed my weekly rate to $374.39 from $148.88 without notice or warning. I spoke to three people including a supervisor. All three including the supervisor refused to re-adjust my rate to $148.88 which was on my original contract. These people are crooks. They are by the essence of their business practices completely dishonest. Not only would I NEVER consider renting from them again, but I am going to tell everyone I know everywhere my story so other people don't get ripped off as well.

Comments

• Re
      20th of Jul, 2007

Just from what you wrote, I can tell you what they told you: You were NOT suppose to drop the car off at another location. $75 is an unauthorized drop-off fee. The higher rate is the correct rate for a one-way for the rental length from LAX to SNA-Santa Ana Airport (Orange County - John Wayne Airport). If you would have rented the car for a one-way use, they would have quoted you the one-way rate. Since you took it upon yourself to leave the car without advising the company, of course you'll be penalized. Try renting a hotel room anywhere (especially Vegas) on New Years Eve. They'll tell you there's a 2-3 night minimum. What happens if you check out early. Bam! Huge penalties. If you change the rental contract, you can't expect the same price... Get a clue...

• Al
      3rd of Jul, 2008

National is the worst company I have ever done business with. I rented from them three times while recently traveling out west. The only reason I chose them was because I had four free vouchers that a friend had given me. It was a horrible experience every time. Dirty cars, rude staff, charges that made no sense. Even with vouchers, it cost me $700. For example, I was told that there would be a 50 dollar per hour charge on the last day, for each hour I was late in returning the car, up to two hours. I was an hour and a half late and they charged me $319 instead of the original $140 plus late charges.
    I encourage everyone to not use these thieves. Their counters at Las Vegas and Denver were much less frequented then the other companies and the people using National were complaining just like I am.

• Ro
      7th of Feb, 2011

I hate National with a passion! First rental they tried to scare me into buying insurance by saying if the car was out of commission for any reason due to my rental I was responsible for the loss of revenue. After talking to my insurance agent I found this is a common tactic to boost profits as it was covered in my personal car policy. Check your policy before you fall for this sleezeball game. Shame on National for trying to sucker customers. Second When I tried to redeem my American Express points toward a National rental they doubled the price of the rental between the time I reserved the car and entering the coupon code! I went to Budget and got the car for even less than the first price National gave and will spend my points somewhere else. Shame on National! What a [censor] company. What a crappy way to treat customers. I will tell anyone I can to never ever rent from National.

10th of Aug, 2012

I too hate National Car with a passion now! I used to rent from them a lot for 6-8 months a year and in fact I am an Emerald Club Executive Elite member .But due to a recent horrific experience of being untreated unfairly I decided to switch to Avis for my long-term car rental needs. I rented a compact car from their Boston Prudential Center location return to Albany Airport for a weekly rate of $151.93, they ran out of compact cars so I was upgraded to an intermediate for free. My plans eventually changed so I had to extend my rental for 2 more months. I physically went to the Albany airport to sign a new contract since they had a 28-day maximum duration per contract. They did give me the same rate for my second month and I rented the same car . However when I returned to the airport again for the 3rd month, they said the car that I had needed an oil change so I cant rent it again. They ran out of cars smaller than a full size so they gave me a full size car. And they charged me the full size car rate of 433.48 a week !!! I didnt notice it until later so I emailed Customer Service. THey said they cant do anything about it and advised me to contact the Albany airport branch directly which I did. The woman who answered the phone was VERY RUDE and said something along the lines of they cant give me the original long-term rental rate of 151.93 a week since all their contracts have a 28-day maximum so every time there's a new contract there could be a different rate . I asked to speak to the manager Mr. David Bamiro who had given me the original rate on the second month of my rental . I called his direct line no answer, I left a message. I also emailed him. It's been 2 weeks and he never returned my phone call/email. Suffice it to say that I promptly returned the car even if I still needed a car for 2 more months, and rented a car from Avis for a more reasonable rate . For those of you like me who intend to avoid National Car like the plague, please be aware that National Car is owned by Enterprise Holdings who also owns Enterprise and Alamo rental cars. Might as well avoid those companies too!