Maytag Performa Washing Machine / i'll never buy another maytag product!

I purchased a Performa washer and dryer in October of 2006. From the beginning, it clatters and dances across the floor as if the load was out of balance, but the clothes have not shifted. This machine does a good job of getting my clothes clean, but it shakes the house! I thought that the quality would be better than this - it is made by Maytag, but I was wrong. I'll never buy another Maytag product. I should have purchased the Whirlpool...

Comments

31st of Mar, 2008

I agree... We have had our Maytag non-Performa machine for 3-4 years... What a piece of junk... We call it "Fred Astaire" the way it waltzes across the floor banging and clanging away in ever unbalanced bliss. It has attacked my wife several times and she unplugged it before it got out of hand. The wash tub water level tube has broke 3 times causing the tub to overflow and flood the basement. I do my own repairs and the problem is both a cheap frame and a plastic tub. It is not even a Maytag but a Norge... It takes the word automatic out of washer. You have to watch it like a 2 year old infant in a china glass shop.

Finally, we bought a new Whirlpool and this weekend I will have the pleasure of taking a post mall to the the old unPerforma

Norman Reynolds

• Un
      1st of Dec, 2008

I completely 100% agree with you. We bought this piece of junk in the Summer of 2005 and within 3 months this garbage started to cause problems. Moving across the room was a common thing. Banging and moving, I finally called Maytag who then sent some incompetent technician who upon testing it didn't see anything wrong with it. Then I finally videotaped it while it was dancing across the room, which got them to believe me. Apparently there was a recall on so many gazillion parts on this junk (like they couldn't tell me that before!?!?!?) so they replaced everything fromm the base, to the springs but the problem didn't go away. now 3.5 years later it completely died on me and I have to purchase a new one because the cost of repairing is not worth it. The transmission is gone! What a piece of garbage!!! I won't give my business to them again.

• Fl
      16th of Feb, 2009

We purchased the matched set from Lowe's for $1300, and it traveled so far that we had to replace the wall opposite and install wainscoating for protection . I have replaced the motor twice in the Performa, and now the water pump seems to be going out because sometimes it drains, other times it doesn't. It has also started to just decide to quit altogether like it doesn't have to work any longer. I guess Maytag buys products made on Mondays or Fridays and slaps a sticker on them. The elcheapo GE we use for farm/truss plant clothes works like a charm, and even says "Give me your cruddy, your dirty, and your nasty and I will get them clean." And it does exactly that. Guess which brand I'm buying tomorrow...

• Th
      5th of Jun, 2009

I bought the Maytag Performa because I thought it was a good brand. Unbelievable that this washer doesn't have an unbalance switch, particularly considering how prone it is to becoming unbalanced. Depending on it's mood on any given day. this bad boy is either trying to pull itself loose from the water/drain hoses or break the plumbing to the innocent utility sink beside it. I'm afraid it's next plan is to knock the TV nearby off it's stand and start the house on fire. Luckily for my neighbors it hasn't learned to climb the stairs out of the basement yet.

Keep this thing on a short leash.

• Te
      29th of Jul, 2009

Wow! And I thought I was the only one with this problem. If I had the money to replace it, I would open the laundry room door and let it "walk" right out the house. I'm very disappointed in Maytag!

1st of Aug, 2009

so I guess there is no way to repair it or get rid of the problem besides getting rid of the unit entirely...My wife cant even leave the room till the spin cycle is done because it might go threw our wall..thougt Maytag was top notch...They should bring the Maytag out of retiremnt because hes got alot of washers he could be working on..

• Td
      24th of Aug, 2009

Well I am glad I checked this out. I stop the washer and reshift the load for almost all but the lightest weight mini load. I thought it was the floor - or me losing the ability to load a machine right. It appears it is just another quality issue...Mom's maytag lasted years, todays manufacturing is intended to drive one crazy or just replace, replace, replace.

• Kh
      23rd of Dec, 2009

I didn't have the same issue with the piece of junk Performa that I bought. Instead, after having the machine for about 6 months it started making a grinding noise. Had a tech come and look at it and he couldn't find anything wrong. Only had the machine for 4 years and it had to be replaced...the cost of repair was not worth it.

• Sg
      5th of Jan, 2010

just found this thread while looking for recall info on this piece of crap - have had the same problem for years with this machine (performa pav2360aww). because of the constantly unbalanced tub it has chewed up my floor and has also caused the hose that measures the water level in the tub to break off so it just keeps filling and as a result we have had a flooded laundry room on three occasions. i'm sitting here right now with the wet/dry vac running to clean up the mess again. moving soon and will most definitely not be taking this machine with us.

• Jy
      9th of Jan, 2010

All of the previous posts have missed Maytags' purpose in building this fine quality machine! People, people, people...don't you understand that this versatile invention performs miracles? - hence the name Performa. Our wonderful spinner has a multitude of features; you'll only need to explore the possibilities with yours. First, a little soap, water and walah- clean clothes (opinion here, not fact). Second, often times we add our favorite flavor of ice cream, milk, assorted additives, ie chocolate chips, assorted cookies...run a full cycle and presto a great milk shake...light airy and extra creamy smooth. Third, get ready for fiesta days with your Performa. To the tub, add ice, lime, tequila, a dash of orange juice and set preferred cycle. Select gentle I you prefer a margarita on the rocks. If you like the slushy type, hit it full blast on regular. This machine is able to create drink for large groups. Be creative and fun! So all of you who have missed the purpose of this dream machine-- please try one of my suggestions. If you come across some alternative uses for this machine please post them at this site so we can all revel in the attributes of this engineering marvels.

• Do
      7th of Feb, 2010

I totally agree with everyones complant about this washer. you have to litterly stand in front of the washer to make sure it doesn't start bouncing and when it does take out all the clothes then shift them around so it doesn't bounce at the 1st spin, then do the same all over again for the 2nd spin.
    Someone please tell me is it worth the money to get this piece of crap fixed or is it more wiser to shell out the money to buy another washer but not this brand or name.

• Se
      11th of Feb, 2010

Same problem with the Maytag Performa. Piece of Crap. I had my other Maytag Washer & Dryer for 20 years. Was I surprised. Maytag was out many times and each time the "Maytag Repairman" said you had better purchase an extended warranty because you will need it these are not really Maytags they are a cheaper machine that Maytag put their name on. I will take a polygraph on this. My machine goes across the floor for no reason. It is in the same place as the old one was. I called who ever purchased Maytag(might be Whirlpool) on several occasions and they dont care either. If I knew h ow to post my walking washing machine on you tube I would. You know I am going to start asking friends how to do this. People should not purchase Maytags as they are not worth it and the company does not stand behind its product!

• Se
      11th of Feb, 2010

I agree they are Maytag makes terrible washers and dryers. Buyer beware!

• Kj
      22nd of Feb, 2010

What a piece of junk...had our washer for less than 3 years (1 year warranty-what a crock!) before the TRANSMISSION needed replacing! Seriously?! According to the serviceman, it "agitates AND spins" and isn't supposed to do that during the spin cycle. It wouldn't spin clothes dry enough and leave them soaking wet. He told us it would cost over $500 to fix...so we're buying a Speed Queen instead and throwing that one out the door!

• Jc
      27th of Feb, 2010

THIS MACHINE WAS ABOUT 2 YRS OLD WHEN I BOUGHT MY HOME IN 2002 AND THIS IS THE FIRST TIME THAT I HAVE HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH IT AT ALL IN 2010. IT HAS BEEN GREAT. I WAS TOLD THAT THE PUMP HAS GONE OUT. IT STARTED MAKING NOISE WHILE WASHING AND FINALLY JUST STOPPED ONE DAY. MAYBE PEOPLE ARE TRYING TO WASH TOO MUCH IN THE WASHER. I HAVE HAD A GREAT EXPERIENCE WITH IT. 8 YRS WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS IS GREAT! THE PHOTO ABOVE IS EXACTLY LIKE MINE.

• Wi
      23rd of Mar, 2010

I fastened a chain on two corners of the machine to the wall. Now I have no problems...Well, there is that thumping noise!!

30th of May, 2010

I bought my Performa front load about 5 years ago. It seems to get out of balance so easily. Also, I noticed every time I do my laundry, I come back with a bloody hand. The inside rims of the washer are very sharp and if your hand scrapes against them, it will cut you. The clothes do get clean, but I have to stand over the machine and babysit it. I would NEVER leave the house with the washer running for fear it will get out of balance and shake the house down. I'm not a fan.

2nd of Jun, 2010

Jesus Christ, you people make me feel so good...I thought I was going insane...I keep calling the repairman to come and take a look at my Maytag Washer Performa because it shakes, rattle and roll. All these [censor]s are saying is..."you're floor is not level" Well my floor is level and I added a sheet of plywood to levelled it but it still vibrates like a 750 Harley Davidson...I have had problem with that washer from day 1 and I bought it 5 years ago...every 6 six months or so, I have to move it a little across the floor because its legs have pierce the floor...so I ajust it with wood shim, move it a little, switch the front legs height, tilled it 45 degre from the front and let it fall backward exactly like the instruction manual says but this thing just doesn't work and I have a feeling that the store that sold it to me had a pretty good idea about it because they kept pushing me to buy other models, other brands...but I stick with that one because its price was fair and let's face it, their publicity for years was that you will never see the repairman because these Maytag supposedly never break...what a bunch of [censor], I bought a [censor]ing lemon and now I am stuck with that piece of crap. There should be a class action to reclaim our money, we have been robbed!!!

• De
      6th of Jul, 2010

I totally agree with all that has been said!! My Maytag Performa travels 3 feet when spinning, even when doing a gentle load! I have never liked this machine. My Sears lasted 20 years & I really liked it. I was excited to get the new features of bleach & fabric softener dispensers, & the 2nd rinse feature. But soon after I got it I quit using all three. The fabric softener dispenses during a spin & it spotted my husband dress slacks! The bleach gets dispensed right away, as soon as the cycle starts. The bleach bottle says to wash for at least 5 min. before adding bleach, because it will interfere with the laundry detergent. And the Fabric softener, of course gets dispensed with the first rinse, so what good does the 2nd rinse do me? My repairman also recommended that I get the extended warrantee because I would need it. I did & I did. I also felt that my clothes came out with much more lint than my old machine. I don't think I can stand it any more, but I'm not sure which other brands would be better these days. I would, however, NEVER, buy another Maytag in any appliance!

• Fe
      20th of Aug, 2010

i wish that i did my reseach first on this brand before i had bought it 2 years old .cause now i need to replaced the hose on the washer and i just replace the heat cord on the dryer just 6 months ago. i had never had so much problems with my other washer n dryer set and i had that set for 7 years