Maytag Dependability Plus / extended warranty rip off!

1 4520 W 90th PlaceHometown, IL, United States Review updated:
Phone: 708-857-7106

I purchased my Maytag dishwasher a couple of years ago. The first time I had a repairman out for service, I purchased an extended warranty from him. All that I received was a credit card receipt and a Certificate Number to show that I had coverage. I never received any contract in the mail and was told to set up service, I could schedule online - which I have been doing. I recently made an appointment online for a technician to come out, and when he did, he confirmed what I explained what was the problem, and then told me that I must pay him $65 for the service call. He said that I had no coverage and after an hour and a half on the phone with Maytag Dependability Plus customer service - I ended up paying him more than I paid for the extended warranty. They suddenly changed the rules and stated that I must call them first and get a claim number and let them schedule the service call or they would not pay. They also informed me that they do not cover all parts and service under their warranty and that they would not order my part. You see, my middle rack broke, and the technician said that in order to fix it, he would have to order a completely new rack - which Maytag claims they will not cover. He informed me that it would involve more than just sliding out the old rack and replacing with the new. After speaking with a supervisor for some time, she finally agreed to order the part and ship it to me, but said that they would not send a technician out to replace the rack and that I would have to do it myself.

How can they not send you any documentation and then change the rules as they go along. Seems to me after seeing all of the complaints against them, that someone would see this and start a class action lawsuit against Maytag for deceptive practices. I can't believe this because I have always heard that Maytag has the best appliances and the best service. What a rip off.

Comments

Ja
  20th of Jul, 2006

Maytag Washer and Dryer purchased at Pacific Sales in Carlsbad California. I paid good money for my washer and dryer along with the extended Warranty. No one waited 3 Months for my money.

- I called in april 2006 to have both washer and dryer repaired a tech came out and I had to call the next day to say they both didn't work. They rescheduled for 2 weeks as the soonest it could be repaired.

- Since that time - appointments have been canceled without a call to me many, many, many times.

- Always schedule for 2 weeks more.

- It never mattered if I spoke to a supervisor or not they always told me there was nothing they could do.

- Information in everyones data base is different from the factory services dept extended warranty all brands services etc.

- A supervisor will say it was rescheduled because of a part and I am told it is because the tech is sick.

- What I have learned that is a big problem everytime a tech cancels, the part is sent to someone else across the country hopefully by the time the new date they have rescheduled you they can get more parts and if they can't guess what they push it out 2 weeks more..

- I am angry, that I have been treated with so much disrespect. Lied to repeatedly, with no consideration that this has gone on for 3 months plus. I have had to cancel doctors appointments, and not attend a funeral believe it or not. As it was going to be pushed back 3 plus weeks if I did not take it.

- I have had to have people assist me in clearing out my laundry room so they could do the repair as I am disabled.

- If you have had any success in getting maytag to repair your washer or dryer, or you got the number of the president of maytag or maytag dependability plus, please email me at janice@icoe.us

- Has anyone been bought out this was offered to me today. To give me approximately ¾ of what my purchase price was, I would not get the check for 2-3 weeks, and then I would need to buy a washer and dryer and have delivered that would probably take 2 more weeks

Another month with no washer and dryer.

Please if you are considering maytag think twice and above all do not get the extended warranty... They do not honor what you pay for.

Ju
  25th of Aug, 2006
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

I have had the same trouble with this warranty service. Anyone even thinking of purchasing it should turn and run. The first time my air conditioner went out 2 months ago I ended up having it repaired out of my own pocket because the couldn't find my serial #. I had to provide the builders # they never got back to me. Southern Ca. in July was brutal this year This is when I hired someone myself. It is out again this past week. They assigned me an appointment with a company that hasn't contracted with them for 3 THREE years!!!! I have to now wait another week..... This is the most pathetic company I've ever had to deal with!!!!

Ed
  23rd of Nov, 2006
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

Re: Director, EXTENDED SERVICE PLANS.

Ron Dlouhy,

I got your DEPENDABILITY PLUS EXTENDED SERVICE PLAN. It really hard for me to pruchase the plan. The reason is:

I bought a brand new house with Jenn-air appliances except refrigerator. So I ordered a brand new one through local dealer.

On August 31st, local Maytag dealer, DeWils deliver guy DRAGGED the refrigerator to my house, causing damage to the refrigerator as well as the frame of the door and hardwood floor. ( See attached photo).

Later, the service department and the manager of the store tried to order a part to replace the damaged one. So far, it is almost two months, Maytag has not provided the right part yet.

That is why I send you this email, wondering how I can trust your DEPENDABILITY PLUS EXTENDED SERVICE PLAN.

Le
  3rd of Dec, 2006
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

I absolutely agree. Maytag Dependability Plus service is not worth the paper it is printed on.

Avoid at all costs.

Mu
  5th of Dec, 2006
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

I am going to cancel repair service contract as I am returning Amana Refrigerator due to poor performance.

De
  29th of Jun, 2007
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

Don't buy Maytag and do NOT get a "warranty" with Maytag Dependability plus. They are horrible!

Mi
  3rd of Jul, 2007
Maytag Dependability Plus - Extended warranty

I have had tremendous difficulty with getting service under my extended coverage policy from Maytag Dependabilty Plus. After four weeks without a washer waiting for service, I was finally told by them that my warranty is being canceled, because the repair cost is too high! I am one and one half years into a three year policy, and the machine is only two and one half years old!

The customer service people are trained in sidestepping the issue, delaying progress, and work from scripts. When I ask to speak to a supervisor, they say they will e-mail one to call me back within 24 hours. The supervisor has no more knowledge than any other customer service rep. Every call in requires the same routine, even after opening up a claim #, and giving it to them! I need to repeat my information, including the washer's serial #, model #, place and date of purchase... absolutely absurd.

My Maytag Lemon has been replaced by a new Kenmore, as I have already spent $300 in laundromats over the last 4 weeks doing Laundry for a family of 6.

My recommendation to anyone is NEVER purchase a Maytag Dependability Plus Extended Service Plan, and as far as the actual appliances... my experience using the warranty should speak volumes about the product itself.

Si
  10th of Jul, 2007

I have to disagree with many of these points. As a rep that works at this bedeviled company, I certainly can appreciate the frustration that many people go through attempting to get service. However, I blame a lot of people's anger on the dealers who sold them the coverage to begin with. Dealers, or more to the point, the salespeople who sell the contracts, are under quotas. they have to sell so many per month. and as a result, will tell the consumer that it is a "blanket contract" and it will cover virtually any foreseeable problem. Wrong. The contracts are "break fix" and are VERY specific on what is covered, what isnt, how and when service will be provided, and the limitation of the claims on a contract. Is it the fault of the company that you agreed to all the terms and conditions included when you put your name on the dotted line without bothering to read the contract first? I think not.
Yes, we work from a script. in a high volume call center it is the only way to work smoothly. Quit crying about having to verify your information. We do that for a reason. To make sure all info is accurate and correct for when, god forbid, you have a service call and the techs go to your residence and the model and serial DO NOT match they will leave and hand you a bill that will NOT BE COVERED. We are not trained to sidestep anyone. Lets be honest. Consumers do not like to hear the word "No", so they then ask to speak to a supervisor when they are told something they do not like or want to hear. Nine out of the 10 supervisor calls I take are people thinking that a higher up will give them something a regular rep will not, even though what the rep has told them is correct.

Would I buy a Maytag product? In all honesty, no I would not. Would I buy extended coverage on it if I did? Yes I would, but only after reading the contract and understanding that it does not protect me like the Shield of Perseus.

Da
  10th of Jul, 2007
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

I have never had anything but great service from Maytag dep. plus!! I have never had to wait more than 3 days for them to come out and it took 5 days to get my part and they were out 2 days later!! I am very happy w/ my warranty co.!! :)

Ch
  23rd of Jul, 2007
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

I live in Oakville Ontario Canada, and I have got nothing but the runaround from Maytag Dependability Plus, about my dishwasher problem, which was reported over 4 months ago. We had a repairman looking at the dishwasher 4 different times, for about 2 hours. Nothing was fixed, and he has no clue as to the problem. We had a visit from his supervisor and he couldn't find the problem either.. We called MDP but since they sub-contract out they need the "authorization" from the sub-contractor before they will get involved and send their own repair man to look at the dishwasher. Of course, the sub-contractor will not give it, as a result MDP will not send anyone out. Now what?

We, the people, should get together and launch a class action law suite against Maytag itself and the MDP. My wife and I are at the stage where we are thinking of printing out all the complaints from the website,and plastering it all over the windows of all Maytag outlets. It's their product even though they say that once they sell them and the 1 year warranty has run out, it's out of their hands.

If their product is that great than why all the complaints. In my eyes it's the product and Maytag should suffer the consequences.

My
  6th of Aug, 2007
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

Washer -top-loading third time leaking on floor... Called Maytag Dependability Plus on 7/24/07--service was scheduled for 8am-12pm on 7/30/07---waited until 1pm, no show. Was told computer problems and calls were delayed because handling by telephone--Finally at 4:55pm man called he was on way to repair my range. I told him water was leaking from washing machine not range. He abruptly told me he did not work on washing machines and hung up... I CONTACTED MAYTAG DEPENDABILITY PLUS ABOUT THEIR ERROR. someone to call me back. Finally to day after not hearing... I got rescheduled for 8/13/07---which will be 3 weeks if they show up then--- I have tried to contact manufacturer and several different people at Dependability no success.

Jh
  30th of Aug, 2007
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

I am going through similar problem with Maytag warranty now. I have a dryer in need of repair and having problem with tech coming out in timely fashion. I requested to speak with manager over call center and was told that that type of information could NOT be disclosed?

Ma
  27th of Sep, 2007
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

I also agree that the service with Maytag Dependability was horrific. I had similar situation. The repairman came to replace a clip on the top rack of the dishwasher. The dishwasher was working fine since I owned it. He started fooling around on the inside and after he left it didn't work. I had to wait a week for another appointment. I called to confirm that the appointment was between 1 and 5. They told me yes. At about 4:08 I called to confirm that someone was coming out. They said the technician had just left his 7th job and I was next and he will be calling me in a couple of minutes. After 45 minutes, I called to find out he had checked out for the day. When I called back the next day they said I had to wait two days to reschedule. I spoke to a manager after calling back every hour on the hour and they told me I had to wait also and that they couldn't do anything for me. I asked them if I was bumped because they tech left, why wasn't I on the list as the next customer of the next day, they said thats how they do things and there was nothing they could do about it. I wrote Maytag, A&E(repair service), my Senator, Better Business and Consumer Complaints. I am tempted to call 7 on your side on ABC News. This is outrageous. Anyone can e-mail me at mare342@aol.com if they wish to get together to take this company down for their outrageous behavior.

Az
  1st of Oct, 2007
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

I have a Amana 3 door refrigerator going on my 2nd year of owning it.
1st year right before thanksgiving I lost a freezer full of groceries, it took 2-3 weeks before I could get a repair person to look at it. He replaced the small fan. My lost was over $250.00. I was never reimbursed for my loss. This problem occured over and over again. My losses have multiplied. The repair man looks, sticks his thermometer in frig, adjust the dials, and says "lets wait and see, give it some time". How about that? the MAYTAG DEPENDABILITY is fully aware of my problem, and as soon as I feel like someone is doing something, they change departments and I start at day 1 all over again, call repair man and see what he says. Devin was the last one I spoke with, he said he's not responsible for the product.
SO PEOPLE, BEWARE BEFORE YOU BUY, MAYTAG DEPENDABILITY EXTENDED WARRANTY HAS MANY PRODUCTS IT COVERS:
JUST TO NAME A FEW: MAYTAG, JEN AIR, ADMIRAL, MAGIC CHEF, GE, AND MORE.
Maybe there's a more reliable service contract in your own state.
SHAME, SHAME ON YOU MAYTAG DEPENDABILTY, AKA SERVICE NET.

TO THE LADY AT mare342@aol.com GO FOR IT CALL 7 ON YOUR SIDE AT ABC.......FRUSTRATED IN STOCKTON

Je
  15th of Oct, 2007

I have been going through the same thing! I have a Maytag washer in my garage in several piles. Yes ,i said piles.This is really pissing me off, Its been two months and the washer is still out there, Abbey Ghram appliances has put me off for weeks! Dependability plus says, Sorry you must have 3 different complaints before we can replace the washer. Problems: Transmission,belt broken,seal,hub, and the brake is broke off. The maytag washer is only 2 years old. I talked to several people at depend. plus and Abbey G. I get the same thing over and Over SORRY, Well, Im sorry I ever bought A Maytag and the extended warranty. NEVER AGAIN! I will take further action.

Ma
  17th of Oct, 2007
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

It has been over a month and three technicians and my dishwasher still hasn't been fixed. I am not allowing another technician to enter my home and subject me to taking off another day of work. Anyone who is mad enough at their antics, write your State Senator who will forward your complaint to Consumer Protection and Send your complaint to Better Business. The last guy that came replaced parts that the previous guy ordered. After they were replaced, the machine still didn't work. That guy concluded that I needed a new motor. What a gimmick. Get your Government involved to let these jerks know we only want what is due us. Our appliances serviced for the price we already paid.

Pe
  19th of Nov, 2007
Maytag Dependability Plus - Worst customer service
Maytag Dependabitlity Plus
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
www.maytagdependabilityplus.com

How do these people stay in business, worst customer service as far as repairs, I have dealt with in my life. One day they didn't even show-up, and didn't bother to call!

Cl
  21st of Nov, 2007
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

Maytag SUCKS!!! Simply put. There are more than enough complaints if you are ready to do something about the rude customer service, the untimely services, paying your money for warranties and unable to get services than email maytag_classaction@yahoo.com, and lets take action against this company.

Bo
  27th of Feb, 2008

WOW! I was about to look into the extended warranty I purchased through Maytag (specifically Ron Dlouhy) but after reading this e-mail and many other complaints it's not worth the aggrevation! I purchased an LG refrigerator in 2006 and received the offer in the mail from Maytag to extend the warranty. I too never received any documentation detailing the terms of the warranty.

The only document I have is the top part of whatever I mailed in with my check which states on the first line "SERVICE CONTRACT - THIS IS NOT A LEGALLY BINDING CONTRACT - If purchased, a contract will be provided that will set forth the entire contract..."blah, blah, blah.

I guess my first gripe should be with LG because apparently there was a problem with the model of my frig (LRFD22850ST) and they found 3 computer parts need to be replaced if you experience ice building up in your freezer. As I see it, a recall should have been done. At this point I already called Silver City where I purchased the refrigerator and they had me contact Mr. Appliance which I did. A service guy did come promptly and told me it's going to cost me approx $418.00 to fix.

I guess I won't bother tracking down Mr. Ron Dlouhy...time is money and the time I'd have to spend to resolve this or even begin to fight to get reimbursed for the $418 isn't worth the sick feeling I already have in the pit of my stomach just thinking about it what a hassel it would be.

Good luck!

Bi
  25th of Mar, 2008
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

I purchased the top of the line Maytag frontload washer and dryer. The washer viberated so much during spin cycle that my whole house shook. A call to dealer for repair resulted in a trip to check washer. I was told they had to order a pump and would return to replace upon receipt. Months later, after I noticed a crack in my ceiling, I checked on why no one had ever returned to accomplish the repair. The dealer had no record of original complaint. To make a long story short, I ended up trading my $2300.00 top of the line Maytag washer and dryer for a $700.00 set of General Electrics, and still had to pay $200.00 to boot. Needless to say I am not buying another Maytag and will tell this story any of my friends thinking of buying new laundry machines.