LG Washer / service - lack of

KY, United States Review updated:
A 3 year old LG Front Loader HE Washer showed error code LE.
A call to LG produced no local or regional servicing dealer. We are in central KY. A week later and calls to several repair services, finally found one from 60 miles away. Diagnosis revealed the need for a new motor. The motor is still under warranty. I have called the service several and LG. Replacement or refurbished motors are generally not available. LG suggested I look at a junk yard to find a used motor. The repair service is still trying to get a unit from LG. Today LG tells me to remove the motor and take it to an electric motor repair shop.

Service - Well No.
Jo

Comments

Jo
  4th of Mar, 2009
Motors rarely ever fail on LG washers.
The most common cause of an "LE" error is overuse of detergent.
In most cases--simply disconnecting power and re-plugging the washer will "reboot" the main control (clear the error message) and allow continued use of the washer until the next oversuds occurs.
If done repeatedly--eventually the component that fails is the HALL EFFECT SENSOR.
This sensor overheats when heavy suds "drags" the basket (or tub) during the high speed spin cycle and eventually "quits"---triggering an "LE" error which eventually cannot be remedied by simply removing power to the washer.

HALL EFFECT SENSOR p/n: 6501KW2002A ($12.95).

After a new sensor has been installed--it is IMPERATIVE that the correct type and amount of "HE" (High Efficiency) low suds type detergent be used.
Three concentrations of "HE" detergent are commonly sold:

HE (regular strength): (2) Tablespoons Per Wash
HE 2X (double concentrated): (1) Tablespoon Per Wash
HE 3X (triple concentrated): (1) Teaspoon Per Wash

Using the correct type & amount of this detergent prevents the following:

1) Error message & interrupted cycle.
2) Musty odor
3) L-O-N-G cycle times (far in excess of estimated time displayed).
4) Water leak (small amount).
5) Insufficient cleaning results.
6) Damage to the HALL EFFECT SENSOR over time.
Va
  31st of Mar, 2009
I Have an lg front loading washer and the rubber molding has mold and a teribble smell. Of course it is not under warrenty. I would never by anything made by LG. Valorie from Cincinnati
Aj
  2nd of Apr, 2009
LG WM1814CW front load washer.
We have owned it for just about 3 yrs now, purchased at Home Depot along with its acompanying dryer for $1600.00. It was installed by Home Depot as well
The drain pump has burned out, Why? Because the drain hose in back was pushed all the way down to the bottom of the drain pipe, which restricted adquate air flow for proper drainage. Due to poor installatiuon.

there is also a tremendously foul smell coming from the washer which is ruining my clothing and the electronics fail on occasion.
A washer at this price should last at least 7-10 years and it seems I am at the beginning of the end for this machine.
I have learned that this company has been receiving several complaints with regards to many of the same issues I mentioned.

I am currently out $450.00 in repairs because of this. Even the repairman agreed and has replaced motors on many LG's because of the poor ain pipe installation.

Life's Good? not with this product.
Fa
  6th of May, 2011
I have owned the washer and dryer for almost 7 years now. I didn't have any problems until recently when a sensor failed on the washer. I also need to replace the electronic controls on the dryer. Skips over the Normal dry selection but works fine on every other setting. All in all, these have been very good machines for me. However, I would never recommend them for a 2nd story laundry room.

LG Electronics Logo LG Electronics