LensCrafters / breach of contract

United States, Minnesota Review updated:
I reported this Lenscrafters to the better business bureau.

I went to Lenscrafters to get contacts. I paid $120 for my trial pair. Per contract, the $120 included the eye exam, the trial contacts, and the follow up appointment during the "trial period." After two weeks my contacts began to burn my eyes very badly. I contacted the doctor for a follow up appointment. When I arrived, the receptionist told me that if the cause of my burning eyes was "medical" and not caused by the contacts I would have to pay for the entire office visit out of pocket. I had no problems with my eyes when I didn't wear the contacts. It was clearly the contacts that were making my eyes burn. When I asked how much an office visit would cost she rudely said she didn't know and couldn't even try to estimate. When I retorted that I shouldn't have to pay anything because I am still within my "trial period" she told me when I got my prescription (to get my glasses by the way) the trial period had ended. I am a lawyer. I read fine print. The trial period does not end with the prescription.

Eventually, the doctor came out to address my concerns. I ended up paying $30 to ensure my burning eyes were okay; and $150 total to own a pair of contacts that burn my eyes. If you want to be treated like crap, and experience a breach of contract...this is the place to go.

D  30th of Nov, 2010 by
You say you have a law degree, so you should know that there are a myriad of reasons that could cause a red eye. And yes, the majority of red eyes from contact lens wearers are caused by overwear or lens incompatibility.
But do you not understand that doctors of optometry are the professionals that diagnose and treat primary ocular conditions and disease processes that can be associated with contact lens wear? Do you not understand that contact lenses are medical devices regulated by the FDA to protect patients from hurting themselves; therefore, annual eye examinations are required to ensure patient safety and compliance.
Let's say the contact lens IS to blame: too tight or too loose-fitting, too steep or too flat the base curve. Ok, then that is easy. Your optometrist can change the parameters/lenses and refit you in another of the thousands of brands that are out there.
But what happens if you had developed an infection that spread to both eyes and necessitated medical treatment? Do you not understand that therapeutic prescriptions (topical or oral) require a doctor's evaluation and treatment plan? Would you know which eye drops to use? Or do you realize that topical antibiotics are NOT available over the counter?
You lament about paying $30 to have your eyes checked. Do you know how many patients are uninsured in this country?
Let's say you had a corneal ulcer, or infiltrative keratitis, secondary to contact lens wear. You blame the contact lenses for "burning" your eyes. Do you realize that changing to another brand does NOT eradicate these conditions? That the standard of care for these serious, potentially vision-threatening conditions is to DISCONTINUE all contact lens wear, and treat appropriately with topical and/or oral medications?
Or let's say you just "happen" to get new contact lenses and are very sure the lenses are causing the eye pain/irritation/burning. And then you ask the doctor to give you new lenses or switch brands, which in actuality, you have something like a viral (herpetic) or fungal infection that requires very serious treatment. Hmm, brand new, even the fanciest of contact lenses won't fix that...
I know you don't have a medical background, but come on here. Let's realize that these are medical devices regulated by the FDA, and NO DOCTOR will try to voluntarily cause you pain by prescribing contact lenses that are intended to hurt you.
You claim the "trial period" had not expired. If the doctor wrote you the prescription, then when do you think the trial period would cease? Or perhaps you don't WANT it to end because you figure, these are 14 day lenses (2 weeks) and you're supposed to replace them every two weeks as instructed. Perhaps they were burning because you were supposed to order a supply with the prescription, and follow the recommended wearing schedule of 2 weeks per each pair of lenses (usually they come 6 to a box).
If you were at the end of the 14 days (the intended lifespan of the original "trial pair" of lenses), then of course they will burn! They're only designed to last two weeks!
Instead of having a nice dialogue with your doctor, of asking to be refit in a more comfortable lens, you marched into a professional office demanding to be seen and to not have to pay because you feel you're still within the "trial period."
Hmm, let's see. If a doctor prescribes blood pressure medication for a patient, and instructs the patient to take it twice a day for 2 weeks, and follow up in two weeks for re-evaluation, do you think that patient is charged again an office visit on the followup?

LensCrafters Logo LensCrafters