Kaplan University / charging tuition without sudents knowledge

1 Davenport, IA, United States Review updated:

My name is Patricia Wilhite, I was a student at Kaplan University, taking Criminal Justice. I almost graduated until they locked me out of classes. I was not informed that I no longer had Financial Aid. Instead Kaplan ran a tab to the tune of $8904.00, locked me out of the classes they had charged me for during finals, which ruined my GPA of 3.67, and caused me to fail the classes.

I do not believe that this is just to any student. I see them advertise to students, my advise is seek another University. Thanks to Kaplan I cannot get a degree because they will not release my transcripts, they ruined my credit by putting this bill against my credit.

I cannot afford at this time to hire an attorney to have this straightened out, however, I am seeking help. I do not believe it is legal to run a tab so high that students cannot continue their education. Myself and an adviser tried repeatedly to contact Financial Aid to resolve this however, no one would return calls or emails.

Here is a letter that I sent to Kaplan: No one has responded, I am not surprised.
Patricia M. Wilhite

c/o The Dean
888 7th Ave
New York, NY 10106

To Whom It May Concern:

I am writing this letter as a complaint of how unprofessionally I feel the financial aid office and the advisors are at your University.

I enrolled in you University in the summer of 2006. I chose the School of Criminal Justice. The admissions department sold your school as being top rate. As I pursued my education in this field I found that there was never an adviser available to help. My adviser changed several times so I never knew who I was to talk to.

Each class that I took was scheduled and books were sent. I was under the impression that my pell grant and student loans covered my courses. I was NEVER informed that it was not.

Kaplan kept enrolling me into each class of my course study however, in the summer of 2008, while I was at the end of my classes (Crisis Intervention and Juvenile Justice) I was blocked from finishing the finals without any notice of what was taking place. I contacted the school immediately and spoke with Brian in the adviser area. He told me I needed to speak with a Ms. Shepherd in financial aid. After leaving many messages and not getting any response I contacted Brian again. He sent emails and tried on several different occasions to contact Ms. Shepherd in financial aid, he never received a response either. As a result I received a low and failing grade in each of those classes, and was not able to continue my education. This is all within months of receiving my degree. If you look at my grades you will see that I am an “A” and “B” student not a “D” and “F”.

After persistent tries I finally was able to talk to someone to find out what was going on. I was horrified to find out that I was cut from classes because of an $8, 904.00, tuition bill. I was never informed that my pell grant and student loans were not covering my classes. Due to the lack of professionalism with the financial aid and advisers, I have lost my chance at a higher education. There is no way that I can possibly pay that kind of money.

Thanks to Kaplan University, I will not be able to finish my long desired dream of having a higher education. I believe your school sets people up to take their money and puts them in financial and educational ruins. Your school has since turned this amount over to a collection company and is withholding my transcripts.

I will follow through to inform others who may be considering Kaplan as an educational facility of what they may be in for.

I was never given the chance to say I cannot afford this, or I cannot enroll in anymore classes until I find the means to pay for it. Your school took it upon themselves to keep enrolling me until the $$$$ was so high it became impossible to pay.

I would also like to have the last two classes that I took removed from the amount and the grades, since I was not given the chance to complete the classes because I was locked out.

I look forward to your response in this matter.

Sincerely,

Patricia M. Wilhite

Cc: Kaplan Headquarters

Comments

• Ka
      25th of Mar, 2009

Patricia,

I don't know if you just described YOUR situation with Kaplan University, or MINE.

My story is absolutely identical to yours. I had no problems with Kaplan until April 2008. Well, no problems except having 4 financial aid advisors. Now, yesterday, I receive a call from Student Accounts telling me that I am "severely past due" - when Kaplan just sent me a check for $1200. I'm thinking... if I owe you [the school] money, why are you sending me a check... When I had received it, I called financial aid, and they said that "everything is fine, that is left over money from your loans to cash"..

Suddenly now, I owe $6000+. Out of pocket. WHY do they keep registering you and allowing you to take classes when you obviously owe them money?

Seems like shady business practices to me.

My email address is chatwitkat@aol.com. Please contact me. Maybe if all of us band together - maybe we can get a resolution, somehow, some way. This has to be illegal.

• Fr
      14th of Jun, 2009

Gz, I have went through the same as both of you!!! I have went there since 2006 and I have about 6 months left of bachelors and they did the same thing to me!!!

12th of Dec, 2009

Its called personal responsibility. Because you never bothered to look at your bill or didn't have enough common sense to know that your aid wasn't going to cover your bill is NOT the schools problem.
    Grow up

• Tu
      25th of Mar, 2010

Hi,
    I feel the same way as you do. Please contact me. It is not too late to do something about this. If you are interested in handling this matter legally please contact me at Tuckersmommy2008@yahoo.com or call me personally so I can give you all the information needed! 3373239098 (Any time is great)

Jessica