Kaplan University Logo

Kaplan University

Having problems with Kaplan University?

6301 Kaplan University Ave
Fort Lauderdale, Florida

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Kaplan University.

Complaints & Reviews

Kaplan UniversityStudent loan with citibank and kaplan

I attended Kaplan between the years of [protected]. I had one class left to graduate. In the middle of my last class I got kicked out, they said I had to borrow more money to finish. I was at my limited of money to borrow. So, I couldn't finish. Now after all these years I got a letter from the IRS telling me that the loan from Citibank for Kaplan charges of $28, 748.00 is being counted as income and I owe taxes on it which is almost $700.00 and I am being penalized 20% for everyday of being late. Citibank wrote this off. Income, this was for my books I didn't get a penny of this money. I am on disability. I barely get that a month to live on. They gave me 30 days to pay and I don't know what to do. they said they need documentation of where this money went to. I can't afford attorney, what do I do? I am so upset I don't know what to do or who to turn to. the IRS makes look like I am a criminal. Can anyone help me?

Jul 07, 2020

Kaplan University — Fraud, student loans

I enrolled at Kaplan University 2009, had been told the cost of tuition, length of class hours and program...

Kaplan Universitykaplan a complete scam!!

It makes me sick how many bad reviews I have found. I as a mother wanted to better myself and was assured Kaplan was an accredited school. I busted my [censored] to complete everything on top of taking care of my kids. I became pregnant with our 3rd, who when born early had to be flown out to a hospital with a NICU. School wouldn't work with me in a time where my daughter was fighting for her life. I managed to keep it up and keep going. All this time while in school they asked me if I was interested in receiving the extra money from my stipends and I understood I would have to pay them back. What I was never told was that there is a max amount in loans you can receive and after that you're on your on paying for it yourself. I paid over $3000 for the 1st semester I had to pay out of pocket for and couldn't afford to continue. 36 credits away from a "Bachelor Degree in Business Administration" and no one will even take a second glance at the hard work I put in for a job. Not even a $9 an hour job that doesnt require further education after high school. I could have continued to pay out of pocket for something viewed as a fake diploma printed off the internet. Now here I sit, paying on a debt I'll never get out of for something that will never help me in life.

Kaplan Universitykaplan financial aid

I had to fight to get back into Kaplan. The Dean had to approve my return because i was in an accident that almost took my life. Once this was proven I was told that I would be eligible for all scholarships and financial aid to which i received for 3 terms after returning. The I get this [censor] in financial aid department that tells me "they caught on to the fact in 2015 i missed 21 consecutive days" so I am losing my scholarship. I told this that i was informed on the recorded line by that department i would not be affected due to it was a medical reason i could not withdraw. I had doctors notes and records that i proved. It is now 2018. Also they run your grants out so when you only have three semesters left to graduate you run out of money. It is a horrible school. Some of the professors will pass as long as you have something that may look like you know half of what you are doing. I have seen some of the work from other students. Its a joke.

Kaplan University — financial aid practices

Funds are never released in the date they give you. There's a long turn around time between them getting the...

Kaplan University — unauthorized credit card charges/ student loans/ada accommodations

I stated at Kaplan in 2016 and had told the collage that I had recieved ADA accommodations at my previou...

Kaplan Universityscam

I'm enrolled in my first semester and towards the end of the 10 weeks, I check to see how long I have until graduation, assuming it would be about a year or so. I see it says I only transferred over 114, not 122, credits and would not graduate until May of 2018! I lost my mind. I called my adviser and freaked out. While he was reviewing my information, he started stammering and getting very nervous. He told me he would have to call me back. The next day, I got a call from someone in Student Relations saying they "accidentally" enrolled me in a class I didn't need to take. I literally couldn't believe what I was hearing. After everything I had been through with this school, I give them another shot and first semester out of the gate, they've already screwed me again. After arguing with this lady for hours over several weeks, they credit me back the $1800+ for the course and tell me to have a nice day. Well, that's great but what about the additional 10 weeks of my life you just wasted? I am a small business owner - I had to cut back on my business and seeing clients in order to accommodate my educational endeavors so knowing I lost all that potential income over the past 10 weeks for nothing, knowing I sat through seminars and worked on tests and assignments into the wee hours of the night for nothing was infuriating! I should have been credited, not only financially, for that course - without a doubt.

After this, I continue on in my courses, earn straight As, President's List Honors every semester. On August 3rd, I print out a billing statement for Kaplan and see that though the "student owes $0.00" there is a ledger card balance on my account for over $5k. I read the fine print on the bill and feel confident that's just money that hasn't yet been dispersed by FAFSA or applied to my account. Two weeks later, I get a frantic phone call and several emails from Kaplan's Student Accounts Department asking me how I plan to take care of this NINE THOUSAND DOLLAR balance I owe. Apparently, I've reached my undergrad borrowing limit... two semesters ago. They *claim* they've been trying to reach me but I have no missed calls and no previous emails from them. [I keep every email they've ever sent me and why would I choose to simply ignore this?] In speaking with this person, she tells me she's not sure how I was even allowed to continue registering for classes if I was carrying such a large balance. She doesn't know how I wasn't previously blocked from entering my classes [yes, if you were so desperate to reach me to no avail, blocking me from entering my classes would be a great way to get me to respond, dontcha think?] and she thinks it's a real shame I wasn't aware of the balance sooner because with my stellar GPA, I could have applied for and received scholarships. But it's too late now.

I filed another grievance and was denied forgiveness of this balance. I was told it was my fault, that I'm responsible for tracking how much I'm borrowing and spending and knowing when I've reached my loan limit. But their billing was never accurate so it was impossible to track! They waited until I submitted my final assignment to my final course and in the last week of my last semester, they blocked me from accessing my courses. They are now holding my degree hostage - a degree I have earned and went $80k into debt for. They are pure evil, through and through. I have contacted an attorney who is advising me to go through arbitration with them first. I'm looking for anyone else who had gone through this process and had a positive result. I'm also looking to speak with anyone who has successfully sued this business. I refuse to call them a school - they're a business. And a terrible one at that.

Kaplan University — bad practices

I attended Kaplan university [protected]. I graduated on dec 2014, but I never got my degree. they got me for...

Kaplan Universityfinancial aide and advising

I have contacted both departments numerous times, each semester. Each time I was assured my financing was in order, I would have enough money. Then I look and it says I owe $1700+. I call back in and they say I'm out of money and I was given misleading information last time. Now tack on an extra $2000 for my final class and I owe about $3900! They are holding my degree until I find $3900, which I need to submit to law school in the fall!
          I am a single mom of 5 who works a full time job, part time job, CASA volunteer an trying to finish college!
          Kaplan just preys on people who have no other choice but to go to this "university".
          I was told that they would give me a $3000 grant and I would have to pay rest. I asked for it all to be forgiven/scholarship/grant (which they do ALLL the time for people!). I never heard back and no am told that conversation was never recorded or documented!
          What I am suppose to do?

Jamie31916 Oct 12, 2017

I'm in a similar situation. Back in 2010, I had to withdraw from classes and ended up being told I owed the school almost $6k. I fought for years, called and spoke with an excess of 50 different people. All of whom told me I owed this money and I couldn't have my transcripts or re-enroll unless it was paid. I eventually realized I could file a formal grievance and once investigated, it was determined that "due to an internal processing error" on the part of Kaplan University, I was incorrectly charged this money. For four years, this ruined my life, sat on my credit, made it impossible for me to get an education, get a car loan, get a raise or promotion due to my education being on hold and all they said was, "we hope this doesn't ruin your relationship with Kaplan." I spent the next two years trying to find another school that would accept the credits from this sham of a University to no avail. Eventually, though it almost killed me to do it, I called Kaplan to see about re-enrollment. I was so close to finishing my degree, I figured I would just suck it up and do it. I had a degree audit done and it showed that many of my classes were no longer valid as they had "changed the program" and there were new requirements. Essentially, due to their internal processing errors which kept me out of school for four years, I now had to throw away all those classes and all that money spent and start all over. I was livid but, again, there wasn't much in terms of options. If I went somewhere else, I'd be throwing away even more. So, I fought and fought and eventually agreed to going forward with 122 credits. Better than nothing.

After this, I continue on in my courses, earn straight As, President's List Honors every semester. On August 3rd, I print out a billing statement for Kaplan and see that though the "student owes $0.00" there is a ledger card balance on my account for over $5k. I read the fine print on the bill and feel confident that's just money that hasn't yet been dispersed by FAFSA or applied to my account. Two weeks later, I get a frantic phone call and several emails from Kaplan's Student Accounts Department asking me how I plan to take care of this NINE THOUSAND DOLLAR balance I owe. Apparently, I've reached my undergrad borrowing limit...two semesters ago. They *claim* they've been trying to reach me but I have no missed calls and no previous emails from them. [I keep every email they've ever sent me and why would I choose to simply ignore this?] In speaking with this person, she tells me she's not sure how I was even allowed to continue registering for classes if I was carrying such a large balance. She doesn't know how I wasn't previously blocked from entering my classes [yes, if you were so desperate to reach me to no avail, blocking me from entering my classes would be a great way to get me to respond, dontcha think?] and she thinks it's a real shame I wasn't aware of the balance sooner because with my stellar GPA, I could have applied for and received scholarships. But it's too late now.

Kaplan Universityfraudulent activity?

I was a student at Kaplan University a total of three times, between 2003 and 2014. There has been a hold placed on my transcripts and they refused to give me the diploma that I earned. On 6/15/2017 I went into the administrative office to get a better understanding of this. I'd already paid out $415 to what was said to be $990 owed. Now I was told the remaining balance was $410.22. I just wanted an itemized bill of tuition charged and monies received. That proved to be difficult, as I could never get a straight reason as to why I still owed this money. I was told by financial aid that they were unable to look back as far as 2003 to show me. I let her know that I would contact my lawyer and pay her to do the digging then. I was then told that she sent an email to Dana Potter the financial manager and she would be in touch with me. Within one hour I received an email telling me that the hold on my transcripts was being released. Something is very wrong here. Why is it that no one could show just cause of this money owed? I feel that I potentially have a refund owed to me. How is it I owed $990, paid $415 and then owed $410? It doesn't even add up. I am so terribly confused and I feel like something is being covered up, no one will explain this too me. If my assumption is correct I would like a refund.

Kaplan Universityfinancial aid

I was told by Kim Ferguson that it would cost $14, 000 for 1 year for medical billing and coding. She had me apply for a student loan and pell grant. Told me it would $9, 000 loan and $5, 815 for grant, she said it would be around $7, 000 for first 20 weeks then reapply for next 20 weeks again. I did this and now award letter came in and it is $12, 000 for first 20 weeks. Loan was for $9, 500 but grant only $2900 she out right lied about amount. I called financial aid and said she was wrong but guess what I am screwed never trust this school they will tell anything to get you to sign for this school. Do not trust them or you to will be out a ton of money.

Kaplan Universityfinancial aid, department, college loans financial aid advisor.

I can honestly be certain that it is way too late to post any form of complaint about this college and the financial burden it had placed on me since the start of my education with them.
                I believe that the start of my degree plan with them was in November of 2011 or 2012. Within the 1st few months I received my first check from them. I called my FA Advisor and asked why I received it. She clearly told me that it was an overpayment on my account. I made her get back into my degree plan to make certain that for the term this check was issued to me was completely paid in full and that I would not have to worry about anything. She confirmed that the term that check was issued to me was in fact completely paid and that the check I have received of $3, 500 or a bit over was an overpayment and that I could use that for anything I needed to use it for.
                I did just as she said. I used the overpayment to pay off a few outstanding household bills.
                Roughly about 6 months to a year later, I get a bill in the mail. I called my FA advisor and asked what this bill was for. She told me that it was for a term I have already completed that was not paid for entirely. I asked which term she was referring to. She stated it was for a term that she previously had told me was completely paid for. I explained to her that when I called about a year ago, upon receiving my first "overpayment" on the term, she clearly stated that I had nothing to worry about at that time nor anytime thereafter. I pointed out to her that I should not be held responsible for this bill at all because of what she said to me prior to that. She told me that she will fix it and all will be okay.
                Near the end of my term; I only had about 4-6 weeks left until I would have graduated the 4 year degree plan; I was told by my FA advisor that I do not have enough college LOANs remaining to be able to pay the remaining of my time at their college.
                When I asked how on the hell that was possible when each time that I had received a check from them, I called in to clarify that it was another overpayment for the term (so, I actually received about 4-5 checks in total), and that I had nothing to worry about at all, and each time, she confirmed with me, over the phone, that each of the terms that I had received a check, was already completely paid for and nothing else was needed to be paid with the money that was sent to my home.
                She then went on to tell me that there were in fact terms that were not completely paid off and that I now have to pay out-of-pocket for the remaining of the courses I have to take. I flipped a lid!
                The only option that I had to be able to complete the remaining of my degree with them was to take out a personal LOAN through them. They made so completely complicated. They clearly stated to me that I would be able to take out a personal LOAN for cover the remaining of the courses and all that I had to do was complete a simple form and send it back to them. I did exactly that and when I had gotten no response from them, and noticed that I was withdrawn from their college; I called them again and asked why the hell I was withdrawn. They told me that I did not send in the form! ###! I did in fact send it to them. They confirmed it via email.
                "It must have gotten misplaced and now you are unable to complete another one and also, you're unable to complete the courses to graduate since we do not have the 6.5K that we need for you to complete them. You're now withdrawn without any chance of coming back."
                In total, my LOANs with them came to over $82, 000. I know that I did not go to college to obtain a Medical degree! I went to college with them to obtain a degree for web designing.
                I will never get my 4 years with them back nor the money that they drained from me! I will be paying for this ### for the rest of my life. It's a total disgrace!

Kaplan Universitymy stipend

I have been told many times that I would get my stipend when my financial posted. It has posted but the number i call the inquire about it says I don't have one scheduled when I was told by financial aid I have one. I am sick of the lies you guys tell me and I would love to drop out. You took my financial aid and kept my stipend. I am going to join the class action against kaplan. you need to be stopped.

Kaplan University — education services

My name is Camille Person. I began my nursing program at Kaplan University in Cedar Rapids around a year ago...

Kaplan University rip off American's and Federal Government — kaplan university is scamming the american public and the federal government

I have attended Kaplan University Online and I made it a point to watch my student account to make sure that...

Kaplan UniversityI need to study 5 subjects again

I needed to get two more certificates in order to start the job in hospital. I applied for the course through kaplan university. I’m certified nurse and need only two certificates. But the representative of the university told me to pass chemistry, math and 3 other subjects. I asked him twice why I needed it, but he didn’t tell me. I have passed all the exams before, so why do I need to do it again. Maybe someone can explain me.

Kaplan University Onlinecharges

I graduated with a Master's in Homeland Security last year. Have still been unable to find a job in that sector even with this degree and over 10 years of law enforcement experience. They told me they would help me find employment and I received emails for about 3 months after graduation and then nothing. I started seeing articles here and there over the last few months about other people having issues with all sorts of things with Kaplan including payments and financial aid so I began looking back through paperwork. I have found that I was charged $3, 930 for room and board, travel and personal fees for an online course. I've no clue why these fees are on here and have attempted to call but never receive a call back. Additionally, there was a $3, 000 increase in tuition over a one year period and I also noticed that there was a reimbursement (supposedly) to me of over $7, 000 which I never saw. Based on my calculations, this is over $11, 000 that I am paying without good reason. On top of this, my first year there, I attempted to transfer over a credit from a different school. They refused to accept this. After going halfway through the course, they finally agreed to accept the transfer credit but refused to refund any money and made me pay for the full class. Would love to know what my rights are on all of this. I read on a different site to contact the Department of Education as well as the Inspector General so this will probably be my next step if I am unable to reach anyone again this week.

Kaplan Universitystipend

I gave Kaplan two addresses: primary and shipping. I informed them which address to send my check to. Well, they applied my loan to my tuition, but did not send my check out until two weeks later. They end up sending my check to the wrong address. I called and called seeing if they would look into finding my check. I even asked for a tracking number so USPS could track it. They told me to just wait for 30 days. After 30 days, they would start investigating. This is my only income at this moment. My bills will not wait. They acted as if they did not care about my money. Someone could be enjoying my money while I wait until 30 days is up. I will never recommend Kaplan University to anyone.

Kaplan University — stipend checks

Kaplan never sends out your financial aid checks on time. They hold onto the money for 8 weeks and by the...

Kaplan Universitywithdrawal

I recently just withdrew from Kaplan University Online after completing a term. I passed the class but called in to get the final grade and was told that I had a "W" (withdrawal) from the class. Needless to say that I was shocked because I did not not withdraw from the class until I finished and passed the class becasue the last time I checked my grade was one day before the term ended. The grade was an 86 and only because there was a paper that had not been graded yet. I emailed the teacher and he never emailed me back. That would've brought my grade up to an "A". So how does a class that I withdrew from go from passing to a withdrawal after I withdrew from the class after it finished. I then spoke with the guy who input and he thought I had withdrew from it in the middle of the term. I explained to him again that I had withdrew when the class was over and that he was the one who did the mistake and he would fess up to it. This school does not keep track of anything. I do not recommend no one attending this school. This is not the first time I had problems with this school. They constantly say one thing and do another.