Complaints & Reviews

Resolved owe them money?

I worked for them for about three months. I was fired because I did not meet my sales quotas. As an Admissions Advisor you are required to sell a certin number of people on enrolling at Kaplan. I began classes in a MS program, but dropped the class due to the quality of the program. I attended less than two weeks. When I withdrew, I was told by financial aid that my account was clear. Now, after a couple of months they are calling me daily asking for 100.00. I received one statement that had no description of the charge. One caller told me it was an administrative charge, but could not give me any details. I have told them, the last four times they have called, not to call me again. When I receive a statement with a legit. charge description I would contact them.
7/9/10 @ 8:44 am, 7/8/10 early evening. The first three calls were not logged by me, but they record everything.

noodles1233 Aug 02, 2010

I was enrolled for 3 terms- started my 4th term, and had to withdraw for Family reasons. 2 weeks into the 4th term was my withdrawal date. Fincial advisor explained I would owe 3-400 dollars. It has been 2 months, I am back in the US only to find they have been calling, and emailing me for a bill of $2005 dollars! I explained to them my situation once again only to be rolled around, to the next person who told me the same thing, over and over again.
    I finally asked the last gent on the phone whether or not he could look into my account further and explain to me where this outragous total came from...he sent me thier ledger. They dismissed 1 classes tuition totally, but are enforcing the 2nd class tuition.
    I explained I will not pay for 8 weeks of no classes, and he explained he was not authorized to make any settlements...
    SIGH-
    I had wanted to return...
    Ill be calling and emailing every day...
    Lets see what happens.

harassment/fraud

I have been attending Kaplan University since 2008 I will graduate in hopefuly 9 months. They continue to say I owe money from past tuition years, how? This is a good question!! I have now paid them just over 700 dollars in the past couple months and they are trying to say I did not pay the full amount!!! They are calling me constantly harassing me, changing their story around!! I have sent them proof of the money I have paid and they still are calling me!!! My financial aid is supposed to cover my schooling so I don't know where they get off harassing a disabled mother who is trying the best she can to make a life for her son who has problems himsel[censored] I am finding any and all places to go for help with this situation and any and all places to go to file complaints!!! I hope when people think of going to Kaplan they see all that so many of us have gone through and RUN FAST!!! This is a terrible school and I am so disgusted I feel they owe us all our money back ALL our money!!! They should be paying off our student loans!!

• Vo
    Votary Jul 03, 2010

I just finished my AAS at kaplan and I went from a $2, 000 credit at the end to opps... I'm sorry you owe us that $2, 000 from the year before. First of all if i owed them 2 grand I am certain I would of heard about it sooner than right when I am about to grad. the school. They are after your money and what they do for education is not differant than going to the Library and looking up information you want to know. It is a steep price for a crappy education service. That and the fact once you try to leave or graduate as I did. They totally change gears and go from all nice and happy to stalkers about you owning them money even if you don't. I have been wiating 6 weeks for my $2000 check and guess what? I am still waiting. Get out now before you really get screwed.

rude and rip off

Do not got to Kaplan University. They will give you the run around and just take your money. Even when you are no longer going to school there, they will still bill your credit card. When you try to ask them about the situation, they will send you to someone else who skirts around the problem. Then they talk to you like your an idiot. I have called them every month for 3 months trying to get my money back for classes I never took. All I get is a rude person who pretty much tells you to f off. Do yourself a favor, don't even click on their ads.

• Mb
    mbattista Jun 01, 2010

I do agree as well. I applied to Kaplan and I have an EFC of 0, which means I can't afford very much. Financial aid told me I'm all set, everything will be paid for between loans and grants. Why do I still need to pay $95. I also had a death in the family, which is making the situation even worse. When I contacted me admissions rep this is the e-mail he sent back:

I already spoke to your supervisor, Peter. I do ask that you do not contact me further as I will be going through Peter for any issues that should arise if I should accept Kaplan University as my college of choice.
    From: [email protected]
    To: [email protected]
    Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 14:21:18 -0400
    Subject: RE: Kaplan University Practice Assessment

If a student doesn’t see the value of their education in this regards the deposit we’ve already lost them, at Kaplan it’s not the # of student we enroll but the # of student we graduate so we believe that in asking for a $95 deposit for those students who are serious in pursuing an education the deposit is doable at some point. Being that it’s NOT a free, and is part of the cost of your schooling it can’t be waived. When a student uses government funds a school is not able to help in paying the students tuition cost ( federal law) if this were a fee that was separate from the cost of schooling then yes. Basically the deposit pays back $95 worth of loans taken out, so a school can’t make payments on your education loans. But if you don’t believe me you can contact the Associate Director of Admissions: Peter Katsigiannis, Tel: 561.981.7536 p[email protected]

From: Mark BATTISTA [mailto:[email protected]]
    Sent: Tuesday, June 01, 2010 8:23 AM
    To: Steven Ukazim
    Subject: RE: Kaplan University Practice Assessment

So you're telling me that you are willing to lose a student and all of his financial aid over $95? Do you have a supervisor or director over you that I can speak with? Every college has deposit vouchers based on income and need, it seems pretty pathetic that Kaplan wouldn't be able to take care of the deposit for me. And I also don't appreciate the lecture that was given, it wasn't nesscessary.

From: [email protected]
    To: [email protected]
    Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 20:01:51 -0400
    Subject: RE: Kaplan University Practice Assessment

Thanks for the updates, as stated in our 1st live chat and almost every time we talk at deposit is needed at the time of enrollment. Being that its deposit and not a fee it can’t be waive as it lowers the amount of loans your taken out. by not paying the $95 upfront you’re not saying anything as you’re going to have to pay it back at some point. So comparing us to a local school you and I both know that the level of convenience is incomparable and with U of P you said it yourself in our chat “I'd rather go to Kaplan, I heard better things” but all of this should be nothing new to you as we went over this before. So if the deposit was an issues and we do understand you could have told us before instead you said “Mark Battista: I can pay the $95. “ at the end of the day this is your education we are talking about so you have to do what’s best for you, and we understand students looking at things like graduation rates, class size and professor interaction as a barometer for selecting a school, but using the deposit as a decision maker when in reality your still paying the $95 whatever online school you go to its just added to your loans, may not be the best way to find a school.

Resolved financial aid fraud

Kaplan university is holding my student stipend hostage they refuse to post it to my account and they refuse...

shut them down

Ok so this is it, Kaplan is obviously a school where the students are being held accountable for the wrong doings of their school. Its time we as the students fight back. And im calling on you, we are going to go on different nation wide programs, i have a lawyer that i am in close contact with observing how this school conducts "business". We have even recorded conversations, and boy these guys are bad "I understand it was the error of kaplan universities department but like any business where you are over paid (3 times in one award year)being a good Samaritan you should pay" WHAT? its ok, i have it all recorded, different documents stating different prices for different reasons. If you have any documents or anything that you can find gather it. Im on a mission to finish my education and get whats rightfully mines. With this being said we are going at Kaplan top speed and we need your help in doing so. Email me with your story. These emails of stories will only be shared with government agencies in means of addressing our complaints and finishing our education. Also let me know where you are from and an email you can be reached, whether or not you will be willing to appear on shows like Oprah Winfrey, Live News broadcasting channels as well as to have your story shared with others via newspaper mail and blog. thank you. Its time to make Kaplan Pay.

• Ta
    Tami Bancroft Aug 14, 2010

I was half way through my first year of college with Kaplan University in the year 2008 I would have graduated for my associates’ degree, and low and behold all of a sudden I was locked out of my class not once but twice. Keep in mind that they had my High Diploma more than once I have faxed it to them at least three times. Half way through they wanted my High School Transcripts, so I had called my High School and had them sent to Kaplan University. After they had received them they had locked me out of my classes again, I was unable to catch up, because my professors would not allow me back into the past classes to do any make-up work, I tried talking to them and no positive response, I then emailed my Academic Advisor and no response from him either.
    I had written an email explaining to my Academic Advisor what was going on with me, and that I was in trouble, meaning my mind was not comprehending at that time, and I had two text books, that were sent to me. The first text book was, Html, XHTML & CSS, and the other one was CIW /site development Foundations Academic /student Guide /cI/wv5 foundations series. So I was lost until my professor told me that we were using the CIW site development Foundations, and not the HTML, XHTM L& CSS. At this point I was so far behind to be able to catch myself up. In the meantime, my professor gave me poor grades, and then after I was dismissed unknown to me. My Academic Advisor called me after the semester was over, and told me that I could have a break from college and when I was ready to return back as a returning student, I had to register under that Bachelor’s degree program.
    I wrote to my Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor and let her know what was going on and I felt sick to my stomach about this whole situation. Up to this point I had a high grade point average (GPA) as well as my certificates showing me I had been on the Dean’s list for a year.

I have much more to share. I was wrongfully dismissed. I was told by the Governors Commisssion on Disabilities to write to the Department of Education and i did just that. I have been paying them out of pocket I paid but they want more money. I saved all my writings and back statements. I am no fool...

mari1819 Sep 08, 2010

THEY TURN THINGS AROUND SO THAT ITS NEVER THEIR FAULT!

mari1819 Sep 08, 2010

they turn everything around so its never their fault!!

• Mi
    Michelle Capps Sep 09, 2010

OMG! I have been struggling with Kaplan non-stop for the last 4 months. I have been given 1 excuse after another as to why MY, again, MY federal student loan money has not been sent to me yet. The reasons, I mean the lies are endless! My husband became concerned when my parents saw a television show(unsure which) that listed Kaplan University as a school that is not even recognized as a "real school", so basically 1 semester that I have endured there is worthless. This same program also stated that Kaplan is a corrupt school. This wasn't there exact words but it is what they were saying. I owe almost $3500.00 to the federal government as of now. This may not seem like a lot of money to some but it is a lot to me and my family. This is money that I have to repay regardless of the reason that I feel that I shouln't have to. The government doesn't care, that has been proven for centuries. I have written proof of how much money that the federal government has sent to Kaplan on my behalf. That is a joke "my behalf" it should be "Kaplans behalf". Is this real, I feel like I'm in the twilight zone? I for the life of me cannot understand how anyone could in good conscience take advantage of people who are doing nothing but trying to improve their lives through education! We are not drug dealers, murders, rapist, or crooked cops or politicians. Why must they choose those of us who are trying to make ourselves and our country better? WHY? Well, I believe that it is because most of those enrolled at Kaplan are very young and do not know better through lack of experience. I am 43 years old, I am not one without experience, the old "been there done that " totally applies to me. I continuosly make the mistake to try to see the best in others anyway, well this may have been my last time doing that. I need help!!! All of us who have been "SCREWED" over by Kaplan University (the joke of all schools) need to become a united front. As one we are a small drop of water in the ocean, together we ARE the ocean. Is anyone else interested in starting a petition? We can get several signatures amoungst us and then take it to a higher athority. From there we are either going to continue our fight with them or find someone else to fight in with us. Let me know because I want Kaplan University, lol, to be held accountable for the deceptive wrongs that they have done to many and I am totally willing to either head this, help head this, or even just be an active member of this. They are wrong and we are right, lets FIGHT for whats right! FIGHT, FIGHT! We can do this, WE can do this!!!

Annie Young Oct 01, 2010

I am going through the same thing. I was blocked from my classes and yes I can understand that I was short on funds but why not block me before or after? Then they still wants to get paid for the classes. I am with major regret because I should have been finished this coming November. I have been trying to reach someone in the financial aid dept. and they tells me that I cannot speak to the certain someone in that dept. They tells me that someone will be in touch with me and they don't. There were times when I was quoted one amount and then speak to someone else, it would be another amount to complete. I regret not sticking with my first mind and allowing them to convince me that I made the right choice by attending there. So with that said I am with you!

Annie Young
    [email protected]

• Jr
    JRocker967 Nov 02, 2010

I have been going through a whole sleu of issues myself, I was wrongfully kicked out of school for bringing to light a defective computer program and I too have been dealing with financial aid Kaplan University is a joke and I am very emberrased to say I went there what a freakin mistake can we please go after these bozos in a class action suit.

they just want your money

Kaplan university is terrible,

Instructors do not answer emails with questions regarding projects, seminars, explanations.. Anything during the whole term.

Customer service are terrible!, academic advising department treat with zero respect, make fun of you on the phone, and with "sarcastic comments".

I wam in the middle of a class... Trying to drop kaplan but once y ou there... You are stuck in this terrible institution.!!! All I got out of kaplan is bills, no degree just the bigest mistake I ever made.

Kapaln should be out of business, they want your money and could care less if you get a degree.

• Do
    Donnatella Jun 22, 2010

Kaplan University gave me the boot after one year because they felt my writing skills were not up to par. Their rules (I was told) are if you fail a class three times you're out of the school. Now I owe thousands of dollars. I am a single woman with no job. I am 49 years old and no one is hiring. The staff are not helpful at all. Since they dismissed me from the school I have not heard one peep out of them. I can't speak with anyone, and my Student Advisor is never around. I can't pay the loans back without a paying job. I am so sorry I signed up with Kaplan University. They should lose their accredation.

financial aid, scam, fraud

Kaplan University has the worst Financial Aid Dept. They have held left over money from my student loans and...

Resolved unfair academic practices

Currently I just finish a course in Computer Literacy and have been given a grade that is not fair. I am a student of Kaplan University High School, and have been having some problem with the schools staff. The school staff always wants to place the blame on me for their short comings.
The first problem arose when I was unable to fully access the Computer Lit course, I could see the assignments but not the projects. I asked for help with this problem via email in early October 2009, and did not recieve any response until late December 2009, and then was given the run around and treated very badly if I must say so myself. Anyway figured out the problem was with the way part of the course was coded and a student had to tell the schools tech support that, in order from them to finally give me a reasonable response to my complaint. Also, that my wireless USB modem was not supported for the type of coding for that part of the class. So, I was given two other classes but was going to receive a incomplete for the class. I felt as if I had been stabbed and I was under contract what was I going to do. I called the academic advisor and requested to finish the class since I had spent over $100.00 to upgrade to a wireless router so I will not have to run into a problem like that again, especially when I am the one to be penalized for it. I was able to get the class extended but was being told and mind you very rudely and crafty that an additional $50.00 would have to be paid in order to do the extention. Do you feel their is a problem here or is it just me that feels I am being scammed? I said heck no not paying an additional $50.00 and besides the whole course is almost $3, 000.00 @$89.95 a month and they want to scam me because of their program problems. I don't remember seeing that disclosure information in my contractual agreement.
Anyway got the extention at no charge but I had a very strange feeling these academic staff members were going to come up with something else, and they did. Now they want to mess with my grade by giving me INC because the teacher is saying she can't open parts of my assignments. Mind you I am not having that problem, nor my son, nor the tutor, nor the other teacher that teachers Computer Literacy. So I say no way will I except a lower grade because now they have a teacher whom is bias and quite frankley to me dishonest. But of course this is all my fault and I am not giving up until I get the grade I worked so hard for. I see what other students are talking about when they say things like this school scams students, with unfair academic practices. But I will not take this one laying down and if anyone out there has had or is having the same experience with Kaplan University, please let me know. Because you should not be taken advantage of either.

Resolved scam

I do not know exactly what is going on here with these financial problems, but I wanted to put in my two...

Resolved frauded, lied to, misled

Run away - they dont really care!!!
I am a single mother who is trying to better herself through education to provide a better life for herself and her daughter. After learning about the benefits of online courses and believing that this was the answer to my dreams of wanting a chance at a better career I started the enrollment process with kaplan university in early september/october of this year. My hopes and dreams of completing my degree at kaplan university were quite grand when I first started the enrollment process with ms. Jacquelyn. I informed ms. Murphy that I had applied for financial aid and received notification that I was eligible for the pell grant in the amount of $5350. Ms. Jacquelyn informed me that I would be able to complete my bachelor's degree online and that the pell grant that had been awarded would be enough to pay for tuition, books, and fees. I was told that the sallie mae loan was only needed as a precaution and would not at all be used to pay for anything and that it was common practice and procedure to open a loan with them in any case. However to my surprise I have learned that this was not at all true and it seems that I have been blatantly lied to and misled.
Admissions representative, ms. Jacquelyn spoke with me and my mother at length on several different occasions in regards to my enrollment with kaplan assuring us both that I could earn my degree with ease and affordability she also informed me as well as my mother that classes were $350 per class with a $100 technology fee. Books would be covered by a book grant awarded from the school. She stated numerous times that the cost of attending kaplan would be completely covered by the pell grant and that there was no need for the sallie mae loan. Ms. Jacquelyn stated that the sallie mae loan would only be opened due to common practice and procedure and because of the monies that I had been awarded from the pell grant that there would be no need to utilize the loan that was opened. Ms. Jacquelyn spoke with me and my mother numerous times about these things each time stating the same exact thing over and over. She contacted me so many times through use of my cell phone that my cell phone bill was ran up to an exorbitant amount and if needed I have proof of these calls per my bills. It got to the point that I had to finally turn my cell phone off and not take her calls, and I had to repeatedly ask her to contact me using my home phone number. She had no issue talking to me after 7pm central standard time. However, once I was finally enrolled in courses at kaplan I did not hear from her again and when I did try to contact someone I could never make contact or get an answer. This is when I realized that I was just an enrollment number /quota for her, and she got me. At this point it seemed that I was starting to get the run around especially when those that I was able to talk to were not able to assist me. I spoke with nicole from financial aid as well as dafnie from academic advising who stated to me numerous times that there was no one else that could help me, that supervisors were not available, and that there was nothing that they could do for me, I was constantly told that someone would be in contact and to expect a phone call. I am a stay at home mom now and i’ve not left the home for more than 2 or 3 days during the last couple of months, and have been here to take phone calls/communication. Even when I request to know who the dean of students was they avoided the question, and would refuse to give me an outright answer. They stated that they did not even know who the dean of students was and just today it took (Ms. Dafnie) over an hour to research and find out the name of the dean of students as well as their email address. She refused to give me their phone extension or connect me directly. Both ms. Nicole and ms. Dafnie stated that they did not know this information. All that ms. Dafnie wanted to do over and over was offer help, but no help was given and at one point she even brought up my child and tried to say that I was doing this because I did not have time for school because I am a new mom, which is completely incorrect and she was drawing straws. It was my understanding from the advertisements and from kaplan’s representatives that kaplan’s goal is to offer degree programs to students who have other responsibilities such as children, full time jobs, and other outside distractions. I felt as if I was being discriminated in her statement about my being a single mother and not having the time to complete my degree. Also, I felt like I was being passed off from person to person and that the issues and concerns that I had were not being addressed. Even when speaking to these individuals I felt like they were very rude to me and did not care at all about my feelings. It seemed to me that these individuals did not want to see my concerns addressed at all and just wanted me to go away. I was constantly lied to having been told that I would receive phone calls, emails, and communications which I have not received. At one point in time I was informed by ms. Dafnie that her supervisor ms. Natasha would be able to speak with me and the next second I was told that ms. Natasha was busy doing other things and did not have the time for me. I wanted to bring to your attention to the fact that three weeks ago text books arrived at my home for two courses that I did not enroll in, ms. Dafnie took the liberty and enrolled me in these two course with our my acknowledgment. I was told during the enrollment process that I could enroll in course at anytime and that I would be the one to choose which courses to take from me degree evaluation. No one ever told me that my academic advisor would be the one to choose my next course enrollment or that I would have to file for a leave of absence which I was informed of after enrolling for the first semester. This upsets me tremendously I feel like I am having these courses shoved down my throat, and I don’t have any say in the matter. At this point I want to withdraw from kaplan and with a full refund.
After trying to get in touch with someone who could assist me with no avail I have filed a grievance with kaplan university’s compliance department and was informed that my case would be resolved by today. However since filing my grievance I have been harassed each day with a phone call from kaplan asking if I will make a payment towards a $1, 302 balance that I apparently now owe. I have had to inform those that are contacting me about the grievance because they are not at all aware of it. I am surprised to find this out due to the fact that kaplan is supposed to be researching out my complaint. After receiving a phone call today about the balance that is due I took the initiative to contact kaplan’s compliance department’s representative, shaunda who had been the counselor that was overtaking my case. All she could tell me was that my case had not been resolved yet. She did not apologize for not contacting me herself or not having an answer to my claims. She did not even seem to care. I have tried to contact her before today about the books that were sent to me. I had been informed by ms. Dafnie that a shipping label would be included in the package that was sent to me, however no return shipping label was sent along with the books and I had to contact her again about the books. She informed me that a return shipping label would be sent to me. It has been three weeks and no return shipping label has been sent to me. I have contacted ms. Shaunda about this and she also told me that a return shipping label will be sent. I have as yet to receive it and I am very worried that they are going to charge me further for these books that I did not sign up to receive. Ms. Shaunda informed her manager of my complaints today and after speaking with her manager about my complaints ms. Shaunda informed me that kaplan would reaward me $1, 339 covering the $1, 302 that I owe. However they will not honor what I was informed of in the beginning by ms. Jacquelyn. Up until three weeks ago I had been informed that classes were only $350 per class with a $100 technology fee. Now I have learned otherwise. I feel that kaplan should at least honor what was presented to me in the beginning or refund me my total tuition and other costs.
I am hoping that this can be dealt with soon and that a resolve can me made. I want to retain my relationship with kaplan as positive as it can be, but at this time I will be looking for another school to attend. I really wish that kaplan’s representatives were upfront and honest with me and my family. This could have been a great program for me.

• Je
    JessicaLb Jan 16, 2010

hey lets get together and fight this!

kaplanuniversityrippedmeoff.webs.com

Kaplan university ripped me off SPREAD IT!

Many people don't know they can do something about this!

• Tu
    tuckersmom Mar 25, 2010

Hi,
    I feel the same way as you do. Please contact me. It is not too late to do something about this. If you are interested in handling this matter legally please contact me at [email protected] or call me personally so I can give you all the information needed! 3373239098 (Any time is great)

Jessica

Resolved fraud alert

Kaplan is a Fraud!!! I have received student loans and grants and they are trying to make me pay out of pocket. The bad things is the first amount of out of pocket expense was $300, after 2 weeks it is up to $1222. I received an email form my student loan lender saying that a Stafford loan I applied was approved for $2000, which would mean I owe nothing and they would owe me. Well as of today Kaplan has cancelled that loan and the only way I can get it if Kaplan lets the lender know yes she needs this loan, but of course I get nobody to call, email, or respond to my request.

To anyone who is considering Kaplan University be aware that they are all frauds.

Anon61 Dec 30, 2009

I am in the exact same situation. My loan was canceled yesterday, December 29, 2009... Quite an about face after my financial aid officer assured me over the past six months that my package for this academic year was in good order and that the delay in my educational expense request was due to staffing shortages.

I am still trying to resolve my situation. Once done, I would be happy to share information ...phone numbers e-mail addresses. In the long run, it would be better for each of us to report this behavior to our congressional representatives not just for our own sakes but for the benefit of others too. Personally I think a congressional inquiry is in order.

Anon61 Dec 30, 2009

Please report your concerns to your congressional representative and state attorney general. They will keep it up if we don't work together.

• Ep
    epskeiser Jan 12, 2010

Kaplan told me my omthly payments would be $48 then when they billed me they said they made a mistake and my monthly payments would be $438 well not being able to pay that they locked me out of my classes and further more my loans should've covered everything but they turned my loans away and wanted me to pay out of pocket now I am trying to go to a community college and they magically can't find my transscripts if you've been screwed by kaplan please email me @ [email protected] and maybe we can gather enough people to get a class action lawsuit against these crooks

• Ep
    epskeiser Jan 12, 2010

they are crooks

MargeEt Jan 25, 2011

Hi,
    Please click this link and sign the petiotn:

Let's make them hear us.

Resolved lost my college transcripts

I am a former student of Nebraska college of Business in Omaha ne. Kaplan University took over the college a few years ago and moved to a new location. I planned on finishing my associate degree this year and went to get copies of my Transcripts at the Omaha campus of Kaplan. I was told my folder was missplaced and to come back. Well they never found it and avoided trying to tell me it was lost. Kaplan lost my college transcripts and don't seem to give a rats as that they are gone! I can't finish college without them, I guess I'll have to sue for my tuition monies because if I don't not a *** thing will happen.

• Mu
    Muumuu Jul 20, 2010

Academy of Art University lost my high school and college transcripts for the second time. I made sure that my high school and college mailed them out. I even requested a new copy from my college and paid 5 bucks to have it mailed again today and I hope it won't go missing. How can a school lose something so important for a student it is so unprofessional and makes them look so disorganized. This is incredibly frustrating at this point I am starting to consider going to community college cause this is ridiculous.

Resolved student accounts

After receiving several collection calls regarding to my balance with Kaplan University I have contacted my Students Account Representative several times questioning on how I can setup a payment plan with the university. After receiving no response from Mauricio Chacon, Student Accounts directly regarding to the issue of owing the school a current sum of $1, 190.00, I was advised to apply for further student loans and grants. After trying to contact with the general student accounts customer service department of trying to setup a payment option I was only given the option to speak with Mr Chacon to which the University has given me zero assistance with this issue. My last communication with Mr Chacon, cc: Teresa Benson, Academic Adviser was Friday evening, November 6, 2009 at 6:36pm Pacific time stating that I am disappointed with Kaplan and wish to withdrawal from the school. Furthermore, on Sunday, November 8, 2009 at 7:47pm I received a call from Kaplan University trying to collect a debt, to which I advised the representative, no name was given from the caller that collections calls cannot be made after 9:00pm and on Sunday and this call will be reported and this is going against the Fair Credit Reporting Act enforced by the Federal Trade Commission. The caller disconnected the call.

• We
    webwench Aug 11, 2010

macguy83:

This is very interesting! I received many collection calls from an agency on behalf of Kaplan University when there was nothing owed. I'm still in school, student loans are supposedly paying for my classes and had auto pay to credit card for expenses not covered by loans.
    Kaplan denied sending me to a collection agency, my student loan lender knew nothing about it. I still have not received a explanation as to why my private information was given to a collection agency that called several times a day and night, anywhere from 6 am to Midnight for several months. It took a report to the BBB in Ohio with the request for reimbursement of funds for 2 classes to get them off my back. I also filed a complaint with my State Attorney General. My frustration has gotten to the point where a class action lawsuit should be filed, and an independent audit of their accounting practices should be done by the U.S. Education Department.

• Yd
    ydas Mar 23, 2012

I have been trying to contact the student representative for days, when I finally got hold of one, she told me that she would call me within 24 to 48 hrs. But she didn't. One week later, I called that department and talked to Debra bailey, she said the same thing and never called again. It has been 4 days, and I have been calling her everyday but she doesn't answer her phone and never returned my massage.

• Sh
    Shelia davis Mar 29, 2012

This school is a rip off. you have to apply for fafsa, and take out to loans in order to cover classes. with all that done done i stilled owed money out of pocket. the school is so expensive that your finical aid and loans don't even cover you expenses. I talked to about 4 different people, and i haven't resolved any thing yet! I need to obtain my transcript to attend another college and, some colleges don't even except there school credits. what a bummer

Resolved over charge & financial advisors do not respond

Hello, My name is Jannie Turner, I am writing to see if some one can help me. I earned my Associates Degree...

Resolved fraudulant charges

Students that are thinking about enrolling BEWARE!!!, They are liars and cheats and will ruin your chance of an education, your credit and you will pay dearly to get your transcripts back. They do not have educated people in Financial Aid. And when you figure their scam out they will not return emails or phone calls.

I was almost done with my Bachelor's in Criminal Justice when they locked me out of classes and told me I owed them $9, 000.00, I was horrified. What about my Pell Grants and loans? No one could answer that question except Financial Aid. They would not even return a call to my advisor. In the end I have lost. They reported me to a collection agency which is now on my credit and will not give up my transcripts. I now have to, along with other Kaplan Students hire an attorney to clear this up.

We need to join forces and file a Class Action Lawsuit. They are using our money for T.V. ad's to get more innocent victims.

• Wi
    willyb1022 Oct 20, 2009

[email protected] have similar situation. May hire attorney. 740-408-4251

• Cj
    C J H May 06, 2010

I am in the same position. I am a student at Kaplan who transferred in an Associate's degree from a local college. At the time of the transfer, I wasn't told that my last 3 semesters at Kaplan would not be covered by financial aid because I would only be able to take 1 class each semester, which is below half time and therefore I am not eligible for financial aid. On top of this Kaplan wants me to sign a promissory note that I will pay $1, 484 each month for the next 3 months. My God, I'm a student -- I don't have a tree in my backyard where I can pluck a few $100 bills and pay this amount.

Kaplan's academic advisors are inept, not qualified and now I'm expected to pay for something the academic advisor should have caught a long time ago. Actually I realized it about half way through my degree plan and I was told not to worry about it!

I want to contact an attorney -- who wants to help me file a class action suit against Kaplan?!! Please contact me at the email address below!

C J
    [email protected]

Resolved finanical aide

I enrolled in Kaplan on May, 28, 2009, started my class on June, 10, 2009. I have a B+, above average and 3.30 GPA. I know that I suppose to receive a disbusement every term as long as my grades are above a C average. Well any way every time it is time for my stipend to be sent out they seem to have a problem with my vertification. Since may it has been har d to talk to my finanical advisor and the only time she get in touch is when I call and complain. I think this school is one of the most unprofessional school I ever encounter.

• Gw
    Gwendolyn Tyson Oct 22, 2009

I enrolled in Kaplan in June 2009 and I have never received my money either. At this time I am owed 37 hundred dollars and everytime I call they are missing a document except they never call and request this document and all my documents are in place. I do not know what is going on but when I call the business office they never return the call. I think someone is defrauding the government of our money.

Resolved unprofessional staff

I am a graduate of Kaplan College in Las Vegas I graduated with high honors in Medical Assisting and other than the school is the worst colleges ever, the last few months I have been dealing with career services to help me find a job for finaical reasons I had cancel an interview because it was about an hour away from my house and I have hardly any gas in my tank. One of the career serivce reps came to my house unannouned and proceeded to tell my how rude and disresectful I am that I am ruining Kaplan's "reputation" and she was going to take me off the schools "top 5" amung other things. She instulted me and embarressed me to no end! I payed $13, 000 to attend this school and I dont deserve to be treated like I am in elementry school! They can't give to craps about the students all the care about is themselves and their damn reputation. For people who are thinking of attending this school or any other Kaplan DO NOT WAIST YOUR MONEY! You will be treated like a child and you will be disrespected no matter how good of a student you are. I know a few staff members who quit because they couldn't take the abuse any further. I will not continue my education there anymore and I am encouraging everyone else not to!

• Du
    Duane Northman Apr 05, 2010

Kaplan is about revenue not education. Unfortunately students fall for the advertising on TV and don't ask around at previous or current students. Kaplan is owned by The Washington Post... a newspaper running a school... that says it all. They should not be in the education business!

• Ni
    NINA09 May 10, 2010

I MUST AGREE KAPLAN IS AWFUL, NOT ORGINIZED && ITS NOT WORTH YOUR TIME... ITS ALL FALSE ADVERTISMENT ITS ALL A BUNCH OF B.S!! I HAVE BEEN DEALING WITH SO MUCH CRAP FROM THEM ITS SHOCKING HOW GOOD OF A SCHOOL IT SEEMS TO BE, BUT ITS BETTER TO LOOK AROUND AND MAKE SURE THIS IS WHAT YOU WANT TO DEAL WITH NONSENSE... IF I COULD TAKE IT BACK I WOULD FORGET KAPLAN!!

• Ka
    kaplanhater Jun 21, 2010

Kaplan College in Dayton, Ohio is no better. They only care about money and not the students. When this college was Ohio Institute of Photography and Technology people wanted to go there and where happy. Students haven't applied to to Electrical program in months, and the students that are finishing the program can't stand to stay the whole class time. I can't wait to graduate and be done with this crappy school! I hope to God I can get a job with their name on my diploma. They are money hungry and I wish I would have done my homework on schools before I picked this one! I hope you [censor] at Kaplan read this and really take into consideration as to how your students really feel. I will NEVER recommend this school to anyone!! NEVER!!

jayjthe Feb 13, 2013

15000.00 for a Billing and Coding Degree!!! Yes the amount you see is correct, I bought a brand new car for cheaper.

• Tr
    Trikasublime Oct 06, 2015

I was supposed to be a graduate of June 2015 from Kaplan College in Las Vegas. They told me two days before I was supposed to finished that I failed my internship and they will try and get me another internship within the next two weeks so I wouldn't have to re do the class portion. They signed me up to late because they dicked around on the paper work. Non the less I redid my internship at Silver Hills Hospital the weekend after the 4th of July. I finished my 90hrs fairly quickly. My site coordinator said I did fine I just need to study on my coding. Well I still had to redo the class part so I did. Finished in the begging of Sept. Now it is October and they called me saying I only had 15hrs. I'm like no, no, no I finished. They said they might of lost the paperwork. Called me again same thing. Few days later they call saying that I failed my interhsip at Silverhills like wtf. They couldn't tell me while I was in the class portion after I finished my internship in July?? They had from mid July-Sept to tell me and they wait till October. Oh get this now they are saying I failed a coding class which I took way before I failed my internship the first time at Rawson Neal. So it took them 4 months to tell me I failed a completely different class. Also if you have reading disabilities don't expect the staff to give you any leway. They will seriously take the test right out of your hand or make you feel like poo if you didnt finish in timely fashion. "I don't see why you are even in this field" "You are smart just maybe not the right kind of smart for this course".DONT GO HERE

Resolved scam financial aid

I enrolled with Kaplan this summer, everything seemed fine but for the past two weeks I have been trying to get some answers in regards to finacial aid and covering my personal expenses. Well as you people know I got the blow off kiss, not once did anyone return e-mail, calls, or the persons I called keep sending me to someone else or not I direct answer to my inquiry. In fact they just stopped and/or ingnored me all together. Well, I know from personal experience having attended college before that if I stop attending they can not use my financial aid if it is before the halfway mark. Since they choose to treat me like a priah and because of all of these complaints I have dropped and I feel some gratification because they will not get any more from me, ha, ha. Do not let this happen to you, what a disappointment.

• Je
    Jennifer Gnose Jul 23, 2009

If it was not for these complaints that touched on my personal experiences I would have been screwed!

• Tu
    tuckersmom Mar 25, 2010

Jessica

Resolved being ripped off and screwed over twice

Ok, well when i first started Kaplan i was fresh out of high school and went straight into into college. My mom had started going there when it was called hamilton so I thought it would be a decent school. Not only did they scam my mom out of money but all of her friends and even me. Well i dropped out and should have had pretty much a free ride from what i was told. Come to find out that wasn't the case. Well i re-enrolled here recently to do online because i don't have the time to do on the ground campus classes, i did have a complete free ride but have been treated very poorly, not only have they not kept me informed of what i needed to do, nor when my classes start, they had me 2 weeks behind on almost all my classe sbecause they didn't even keep me registered for my classes. Not only will i not finish my schooling with them, the 10 friends i had interested now want nothing to do with the college, they are finding other colleges. I really do hope this college gets caught with the finacial fraud, not only do they make it very obvious of what they are doing but alot of people are figuring it out and its only a matter of time before the students come back on them, not only will they be shut down but they will have to pay twice the amount of what they scammed us out on. Hope their ready.

employee/familiar with fa fraud

I was a Financial Aid Officer and military specialist for 5 years at Kaplan. I was rescently released from my posistion when i brough to My directors attention the fraud that our department was doing against military personel and veterans. How they certify and package students are not within the guidelines of the VA. They forge documents to clear the federal audits done once a year by the VA. For my first 3 years, they were clean and did verything according to the book. But once they were aware that this was a cash cow for there school, they pushed the enrollment of Vets and military service members, not telling them in detail how to activate there benefits properly, or the turn around time for it to be sent to them. In other words they pushed students to start school knowing id would not be available for at least 60 days, putting the student in debt with the University Causing harrassing phone calls and stress to the student. They also activated multiple benefits illegally. It is illegal to access 2 government aids at the same time. So Gi Bill and TA activated jointly is illegal. this is just 1 of the many things the school does for more money. In order to stay in the legal guidelines of 90/10, they show reprts of TA and Gi Bill, 1607, and 1606. But what is not shown in the reports is that they still activate the students title 4 funding and recieve there TA and the student pockets the GI. So they are not within the 90/10 rule. AGAIN ILLEGAL!! If anybody is trying to post an investigation against kaplan, I can be reached at [protected]@yahoo.com and we can go from there. This is just the tip of the iceberge when it comes to there illegal practices. It is time they pay for there actions. I served in the Air Force and to see my brothers and sisters being used to keep there doors open really ticks me off. Lets make them pay for it.

• So
    Sorry Student Jul 25, 2009

Hello Mr. McDonald,
    I am so sorry to bring this to you once again. However, I have been trying to resolve an issue that seems to have resurfaced since last year. I was notified on July 20, 2009 that I had missing documents with Financial Aid. I checked my documents on my homepage, and noticed it said "Default Clearance letter", it showed it requested on the 15th of July and due on the 15th of July, but that missing document had not shown on that page just days prior when I had checked, as I do at least a couple times a week. I did not understand what letter they were referring to, so I immediately began emailing in response to that notice that same night. The next day, the 21st, I received the next notice saying I would be blocked from classes if I did not provide "outstanding documents". I still had heard no response to my emails, so I called and was told what was needed, that I might have a defaulted loan out and need a letter from the lender, I replied that I did not know of a defaulted loan, so the gentleman transferred me to a manager in financial aid, she looked up my records and found that I had an outstanding defaulted loan from before I attended Kaplan. That clarified for me that it was the same loan that I had sent a defferment form in regarding, back in September of 2008, that I had chased around with my financial aid advisor, my academic advisor, and ended up getting your assistance on in March of 2009. (have continued attending classes since, and heard no more about that matter until now.) On the phone that representative assured me that she would pass the information to my financial aid advisor, Angela Cox, and she and her manager would correct the issue. I continue to get financial advisors calling my home and sending emails regarding the document and stating I am blocked from attending this coming term. Angela did what she usually does, is email me telling me that the registrar is responsible and I need to contact them. I called again yesterday, 7/23, spoke with another support representative, who again told me it was my financial advisor who was to help me with financial documents and she would get the information to a manager and get back to me by the end of the day. I heard nothing back.

Here is the deal. I sent a deferrment form by regular mail, emailed an attachment to my financial aid advisor, and faxed 3 times. I have called my advisor, emailed her, she passes me on to the registrar, I call them, they assure me they will look into it and will call back (but they don't). They also claim it is my financial aid advisor who is responsible. That form, or some proof that I am enrolled in classes at Kaplan, is needed by the lender in order to get them to release the default that I am in because they never received that form from Kaplan. I was not in default in 9/08 or in 3/08, because I did call the lender each time, who told me they would hold on for that form. I can do no more on my end. However, now I see I my whole Kaplan homepage has been disabled?? That is new. So now I am completely banned from your school because of this?? Please resolve this matter as I have been a top student at your school and done everthing I have been asked. This is my future that your school is affecting. Is this right?

Gretchen Schultz

And I am constantly being passed around on the phone, when finally a representative would appear to be trying to help resolve my issue.