Complaints & Reviews

laon disperments

I have sent out a Educational Expense Application back in 07/08/08. Everyday I try to talk to my financial aid officer about why I haven't gotten a dispersment after my books and tuition is payed and she keeps telling me that the Home Office has to approve it and now the date is 11/04/08. It has been two terms and I still have not recieved anything and they keep telling me the same thing over and over. They keep telling me that it will take a week or two to go through and when I do call after a couple of weeks still the same exuse. I am so fed up with it. I am battling cancer, I am a single mom and I'm going to this school. They don't care about us, and who is to say that when they tell us that they are doing everything that they can they really are. I'm not there to hold their hand and make sure they are dong their job. I'm tired of being screwd and I'm still at the bottom of the hole with them. I wish some one out there can help me with this problem. I can't work because of my cancer so what am I suppose to do about my school supply's. Isn't that what the pell grant is for? I hope to God that someone will do something about the mess they are causing in innocent peoples lives.

Margaret Pepples Dec 01, 2008

I completely agree with you! I am going through the exact same thing. They are telling me the same thing and it is RIDICULOUS! I too am a single mother; I have two children and am currently out of work. I don't know who to call or what to do. My financial aid advisor is an ### and says the same damn thing to me every time. If you found a way to get around this let me know.
    Margaret

• Bo
    Bob L Mar 15, 2009

All of a sudden all the students in one class got an F for their grade, I know that I did much better than this as many others.

By giving a person an F they know your financial aid is cut off and guess what we the student has to foot the bill not to mention
    The University keeps the money and you the student gets nothing.

I say the rules need to change to protect the student and that all money should go to the student and not the school or University.

John Lankford May 19, 2009

Kaplan's Financial Aid office does not seem to be there to help the students rather than seeking a profit. The employees that work there seem insensitive. They don't follow the guidelines in disbursing Financial Aid because there is no agency to make sure they follow the guidelines. The whole system is a failure.

The student is the ultimate ones taking out loans and will be the sole ones responsible for the debt yet an irresponsible department like the Financial aid office controls when the student receives the funds. It is not the lender but the school. Most schools set up direct deposit accounts or disburse the funds to the students bank not some school account they own after Tuition and fees are paid. Schools are not suppose to hold on to that money because the loan for for cost and attendance not just tuition and fees. Kaplan in effect is setting students up for failure. There ought to be some Federal Guidelines policing schools such as kaplan but they are more concerned about the borrower. Kaplan is not distributing funds in good faith.

• I too am a student at Kaplan. I am so tired of getting the message "your financial aid officer is not available, please hold to be connected to the next available financial aid officer." you hold for an hour, and you NEVER get to speak to anyone!!! I have requested my educational expense funds, and still have not received them. The school screwed up my pell grant, now they are telling me that I can't continue with classes!!! This is so bull ###!!! Something needs to happen, but who can you talk to? All you ever get it somebody's voice mail...
    ~Very Frustrated ~ Atlanta, Georgia

mizshan03 Oct 14, 2009

I have been attending Kaplan since Dec 2007 and I agree completely. Now I have had 2 FAO and both of them suck! they do not responde to email/voicemails. I have called/emailed the supervisor/manager and he too never response. I was told by my academic advisor to contact the complaint ombudsman. When I get the contact info Ill fwd it on. Good luck!

• I've done a little research on my own and the Office of the Provost, Dr. David Clinefelter, is responsible for overseeing the actions of the financial aid office. If someone can get a number or an email address for him so that we can contact him directly, then the financial aid office would be held more accountable for their mistakes and lack of professional courtesy.

• Rd
    Rdy4him Dec 04, 2009

I have been dealing with Kaplan's lack of responsiblity in the financial aid department for several months. I am a graduate student and carry a 4.0. Every other part of my education is fine, but this department has serious errors. I was first told that they weren't getting the funds from direct loans for my Educational Expenses. Then, someone admitted that they had the money, but their system was screwed up and wasn't paying out the money, thus an internal problem. I've experienced the same phone call and email avoidance. I'm not sure how true it is, but I was told by a friend at another institution that they school has 14 days from the time of receiving the funds to disburse them. Can anyone verify if this is true?

• Bo
    Bobey Dec 08, 2009

I dont know what is going on with the way their fin aid dept works, but i find myself instead of owing for just 2 classes i took in one semester--something like $7500!!!

Im outraged. Have any of your problems been given attention by those crooks some? Are any of you going legal on this one or thinking about it, maybe we can arrange for a global suit!!?

TY for sharing, there are kind of crooked, ain't they now?

• Ms
    Ms.Nina Dec 30, 2009

I've been with Kaplan for one term. I did have an issue with them concerning the disbursement. I've been waiting for it for longer then I should. I've waited for more then half of the term! That shouldn't be happening!
    If any of you know.. how can I find out if they paid the correct amount for my disbursement?

I'm enrolled with Kaplan for an AA in criminal justice degree. I was calling around to see what school to attend to get my BA after I graduate from Kaplan. I found out that American Public University will only except 60 credits out of 90 completed credits!!! Where does the 30 credits go!? Can someone explain? I don't know if I should continue with Kaplan now. I will loose 30 credits for which I will have to pay! It does not make any sense to me. Also, I will not be receiving any disbursements for the next two terms because I am taking 3 classes this coming term instead of only 2. Is that how it should work? Please explain somebody...

Thank you...

kaplan is a ripoff May 05, 2010

DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT GO TO KAPLAN THEY WILL STEAL YOUR DISBURSEMENT MONEY PERIOD!
    How do they do it? Well first off many people who attend college are not aware of the monies that should be sent to them, so they say nothing and Kaplan figures if they don't know about it they will keep it. If a person does know they are to get something, but isn't sure how to figure it up then Kaplan will send a small percentage of what is owed to the student and keep the rest.
    However, those who do know exactly what we should receive back get put off and put off until we are at our boiling point. I have been going through this crap with them for over 4 months! Still getting the run around. The law is that they have to send you your money within 14 business days of the time that the government loan is dispersed to the school. You can call them directly and ask when they sent it to the school. Do not go along with the financial aid information given to you on their website it is a load of crap. They put on there what ever they want.
    CONTACT THE OMSBUDSMANS OFFICE FOR SCHOOL COMPLIANCE WITH THE GOVERNMENT. They are in-charge of what happens to the monies that are dispursed from the govt and the rules that each school has to adhere by. Here is their website http://www.ombudsman.ed.gov/about/contactus.html and there is their number 1-877-557-2575
    Also FILE A COMPLAINT ONLINE TO THE OIG OFFICE OF INSPECTOR GENERAL HERE https://wdcrobcolp01.ed.gov/CFAPPS/OIG/englishhotlineform.cfm
    NEXT FILE A BBB (BETTER BUSINESS COMPLAINT) HERE http://www.seflorida.bbb.org/ComplaintDetail.aspx?CompanyID=9636
    DON'T SIT BACK AND WAIT FOR THEM YOU WILL NEVER GET ANYTHING FROM KAPLAN.

<><><>By the way most companies do not consider their degree's to be anything but a waste of paper, most won't accept it for employment><><><
    ><><>Also most traditional schools will not accept Kaplan credits in transfers, because they are worthless><><

THIS SCHOOL HAS OVER 30, 000 COMPLAINTS ONLINE RIGHT NOW AND MORE COMING.

GOOD LUCK AND PLEASE FIND ANOTHER SCHOOL ---IF YOU WANT TO GET YOUR DEGREE ONLINE GO TO SAINT LEO UNIVERSITY THEY ARE A 4 YEAR TRADITIONAL SCHOOL THAT KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING!

• Ni
    Nicole S May 19, 2010

Dear "Kaplan is a Ripoff",

So I went to Kaplan a long time ago, didn't graduate from there cause I decided to do the traditional school thing and I'm about to finish there. I never really looked at my Kaplan statements until now because I am going to have to start paying back my loans soon and I noticed that they took out a loan for almost $11, 000 for about a year's worth of classes. Is that normal? Did they do someting like that to you?! I'm pretty sure it doesn't cost that much for a year of school and I know I didn't get a check back or anything for the difference. I was just wondering if you have any advice as to who I should talk to, ie Kaplan's financial aid dept? or if its better to call one of the numbers you just provided? Thanks for the advice!

Nicole S

Cheryl Steel Jul 23, 2010

I am on my last term with Kaplan Univertisty and I have not had any problems. Sure it takes a while to get through to your financial aid officer, but I have had that with all three colleges I have attended. I have received my access funds one week after disbursements, and this was through three terms. Kaplan has been just as attentitive to my financial needs as any other college has been.

• Ap
    Applejacks Jul 28, 2010

The financial aid department is the only department I have had any trouble with. Books always come on time, the professors are usually quite good and my academic advisor consistantly checks in to see how I'm doing. You have to remember Kaplan is a for profit company, and this means big bucks are made on the interest they can get from those government checks. This is obvious if you look at your financial aid summary. There is a date listed of when your money will be applied to your account. Unfortunately for the students this is only an approximate date. Therefore they trickle in the funds one check at a time. This often results in half the term being over before your financial aid has cleared. Yes, it is true that Kaplan has 14 days to send out a check, however, that is 14 days from the date your money has all posted to the account. That is why I am sitting here waiting for my SEOG to post 23 days after it was supposed to be applied. Kaplan is an interest mill. If there are 15 students in your class then they are receiving 60, 000 dollars a term from those 15 students. Multiply that by 40, 000 students and you've got a ton of cash. Now deposit this money in a bank and collect the interest until you have to, by law, send out a disbursement.

• Ni
    Nicole0620 Aug 21, 2010

I agree 100% I have being going to Kaplan for one term. I keep contacting the fin aid dept. and no one will answer I am so tried of this school. I never intended to go somewhere and get ripped off so DAMN bad. The should really stop letting people enroll into this university. I talk with some many people from day to day that get refunds from other colleges & universities. Then you go to Kaplan and don't get anything what kind of system do they have. I really want to stop attending this school but I don't know how it will affect me @ another college. Also I don't even know if they would tranfer my credits. What shall I do I am @ a stand still please help someone.

• Cc
    ccplus4 Sep 11, 2010

OMG I have been there for 3 terms and I am still fighting with them to get my money. And they are charging me full rate instead of the military spouse rate and they say there isnt anything they can do but wait. I have tried to find any other numners to contact anyone else, I have even talked to a supervisor who lied to me and then every person I talk to tells me another story and I cant do anything about it. Im on the Pacific coast and I have to get up at 6 just to call them and I only have 2 hours to get through and talk to someone since I am not able to get off early enough to try again. Does anyone have a number that I can actually get something done?? Im at a loss but it would be nice to get that money since I am the one who has to pay it back not them so if I dont ever get that money I STILL have to pay it back. They seem to really not care I have even thought oif getting ahold of the School Board they are accredited through but I have had no success on getting that number yet. Im still trying. I want an answer as to why im not being helped or why I am not getting the money that they are sitting on and have no valid excuse on why they cant send it to me.

KamiQ Sep 17, 2010

Give me your student number and email address and I will look into it for you, I am an FAO with Kaplan. We are trying to improve and are implementing more call center staff and procedures to improve. I am so sorry for your issues but I should be able to help!

KamiQ Sep 17, 2010

on second thought don't give me your email on this site, just your student number and i will find you!

Michelle-Kaplanstudent Sep 30, 2010

I am in my second academic year. I am having the same problems. My last quarter was 07/07/10 and I was suppose to get a kick back and I have called and they said it was locked in their system and they have a group working on it. THey said it would only be ten business days. everything was fixed!! WRONG! I am now in my second term that started 09/22/10 and still have not received anything but the run around. I called in yesterday to see what could be done about getting last terms money and a woman actually yelled at me. I have looked into transfering to another school and hardley any of my credits will transfer over. I have contacted everyone possible in the school to get this resolved and they are all pretty much telling me to suck it up and deal with it. I have never received a call from an academic advisor like I should have. IT has been a nightmare so far and there is not one person willing to help

• Lu
    lucylou Oct 22, 2010

Kaplan Is ridiculous when it comes to FA, My first term is nearly over and I still haven't received funds but they are quick to take tuition right after it posts. I read some bad reviews before starting there but what financial aid department doesn't have issues. I enjoy the school in every other way, however I think they should fire their financial aid staff as well as their staff in the business office for not doing their job. Every time I call I am told something else and it seems my disbursement date is pushed out a week. I am so over it, I now need to decide if I am going to quit school or just find a more honest reliable one.. I am surprised that something hasn't been done about this. There should be some guidelines put in place for disbursement. I am told it is 7 to 10 days after funds being posted, I am surprised someone hasn't came up with a class action lawsuit against this place, they do for everything else.

• Sh
    ShanGrad Oct 26, 2010

Kaplan's Financial Aid department is a complete joke. I finished my undergrad degree at a traditional four year university and never had a problem with the financial aid department; they were very attentive and most of all, very easy to get in touch with. I enrolled in Kaplan for my master's last year, a horrible mistake I still regret to this day, and was not impressed at all by the way the financial aid department handled my needs. I withdrew from the university within a week of starting classes because of the unprofessionalism of the financial aid department ONLY, mind you, the professor and academic advisor I was working with at the time were both very professional. Fast forward to the present, and I am now being harrassed by Sallie Mae for a $9, 000.00 student loan for 1 class that I only attended for a week! They call my home, my parents, friends, and thank GOD they don't have my work number or I'm sure they would be harrassing me there as well. I don't understand how an educational instituition as "reputable" (HA) as Kaplan can allow its students to suffer such harrasment. I have called and called the financial aid department to resolve this matter, but like many of the posters here, I too, have not been able to even get a call back. It's so laughable, the care and attentiveness that the university shows in the beginning is vastly diminished once they get done taking your money. It's wrong, and I hope someone definitely puts an end to these shady, deceitful practices soon. For all you Kaplan hopefuls, be careful!

• St
    stepnee Nov 14, 2010

I have been attending Kaplan University for three semesters now. I receive PELL grant monies as well as taking out student loans with an MPN. My total bill for the last 3 semesters is 11, 8??.00 I have not received anything monetary from Kaplan University, because I have attended a college previously I started looking into it... this is just not making any sense. I am going to call Monday, I havent so far because I really didnt know how they work. I have went on line and read up on some of the rules for PELL disimbursement, and it clearly states that the school has to pay out at least once every semester, quater, or tri-mester, Kaplan received my Pell almost 2 weeks ago, I really hope I dont run into any of this rigamore. I will definnitely let you guys know.

• Da
    DanielleRobb Nov 18, 2010

I obtained my Associates from Kaplan in August and have re-enrolled for my BS...BIG mistake!! I sent in all my paperwork in September, it is now November, I am in week 6 of the term and they still do not even have my award letter?!!? I am SO mad! I already have almost 30k in loans from my associates and they are getting another 30k for my BS and I can't even get my little $1500 check for my STIPEND. Every time I call I get another story, a different time frame and everything else. I am so mad and want to transfer but I know I will get stuck owing tons of money to them which I refuse to pay!!! I guess I will be stuck dealing with this BS for another 2 years till I am done!! Does anyone have the # to their business office?!!? They refuse to give it to me. Nice huh!?

jacobdixon2 Nov 22, 2010

This university is crap. But I can't drop out and go to another school because I will just lose more money. I'm sick of financial aid department. Like you all have said I can never get my stipend. The one time I did get one they claim they sent me to much and $435 of that stipend was supposed to go to the next term. So I ended up having to pay that stipend like a YEAR later because that is when they notified me about the problem.
    So guess what? Today I get a call about a $410 late payment from year 2008. How can they call up 2 years later and tell you that you are late on a payment? My loans should be covering this. They are playing with peoples lives.
    But what can I do? I can't change schools because like I said I would lose credits which would cost me more, and I can't just drop out because then I would have one all that for nothing. I haven't really learned much because it is a freaking joke at what they teach.

tr19087 Nov 22, 2010

Suggestion: before you post something, copy and paste your text into Word (or a comparable program) and check the SPELLING and grammar. If you're going to complain about the university you attend, you should at least try to sound like you attend a university (and have thus mastered the material taught in elementary sch0ol and high school). A few misspelled words can be overlooked as typos. You have more than ten. Some of them are really basic things from early elementary school - supply's instead of supplies? payed instead of paid? Seriously?

A few comments and general words of advice for the other posters (relating to the subject of the post): (1) in recent years, it has become extremely difficult to get accepted into many colleges and the majority of financial aid packages at other universities do not result in the student actually receiving money from the school, so you have to immediately wonder about the education quality and amount of tuition (which I can't seem to find, btw...nearly every other university in the country has the tuition amount on their website); (2) if you withdraw near the beginning of the term, check the refund policy - it's in their catalog (needless to say, make sure you withdraw in writing - preferably sent via registered mail); (3) the school can't steal your money - if you have proof that they've done so (and not just in error), send copies to the attorney general and the better business bureau and also call the police; (4) check the policies for withdraw-related refunds - at other colleges, you are usually only eligible for a refund if you withdraw in the first week of classes; (5) why are you people actually surprised by how much you owe after attending (whether it’s one class or an entire four years) – you do look at the loan papers before you sign them, I assume? And receive a statement? If you think it’s not worth it, it’s not going to be “more worth it” after another semester there.

• Gm
    gmkaplan Nov 23, 2010

All I can say is I wish I would have looked into complaints about Kaplan University before I enrolled and registered for my MBA program 2 years ago! I had no idea there were so many others out there with almost the same exact KAPLAN FINANCIAL AID OFFICE complaints. I've had more than my share of problems with that office and the academic advisors don't do anything about complaints. I NEVER receive email responses or phone calls from the FINANCIAL AID office. I attended my undergraduate college in person and completed my B.S. and NEVER had problems like this. They did not keep the STUDENT'S FINANCIAL AID FUNDS unless the student requested it and then then never kept them very long. I really didn't understand the online process and tried to give them a break many times. I at least did have a REAL FINANCIAL AID OFFICER to contact even though they change my OFFICER the next year that I was enrolled. They did keep tons of MY STUDENT LOAN FUNDS for ages and I kept asking why they weren't refunding my credit balance. Well, within the 1st year alone they were sitting on over $7, 000 CREDIT BALANCE on MY ACCOUNT and they collected interest on it the whole time. Like I said, I didn't understand how KAPLAN'S FINANCIAL AID process and I called, emailed, faxed and finally well after my first academic YEAR ended they slowly but surely sent my credit balance to me. The next year rolled along fairly well except for November of 2009 and one of my loans didn't post and after calling in attempts to get in touch with who I thought was my FINANCIAL AID officer, I was told KAPLAN WAS HAVING SOFTWARE TECHNOLOGY PROBLEMS so they had to send the issue to their "PROCESSING DEPT." meanwhile I was still getting lender statements and being charged interest the whole time for the loan. The situation didn't get resolved until JANUARY 2010!!! Now, here we are with the new DIRECT LOAN PROGRAM, and I've been calling, EMAILING AND FAXING them since AUGUST 2010 because I wanted to make sure they "PACKAGED" MY FOURTH YEAR correctly. I was told everything would be fine, loan package would be done later in that month and NOTHING WOULD CHANGE as far as disburesments, etc. YEAH RIGHT!!! Today is the LAST day of my FIRST term in my FOURTH year and they just posted my sub loan on November 15th even though DIRECT LOANS sent me an email that the loan (ACTUALLY THIRD TIME PACKAGED THIS TERM!) was approved and disbursement date was NOVEMBER 1st! I've been told so many different stories by so many different "FINANCIAL AID OFFICERS" (yeah right, I even had one tell me she was "JUST A REP!") that I could write a book. I just keep hoping and hoping and hoping eternally that they will finally get off their stupid, idiotic, immoral, lying @#!$%^^* and send me MY CREDIT BALANCE. We as students take out loans, our lenders charge "points" and then loan is reduced, then the School charges for the tuition, TECHNOLOGY fees, any books purchased via voucher, etc. then they SIT ON OUR CREDIT BALANCES FROM LOANS WE TOOK OUT AND COLLECT INTEREST IN THEIR BANK (which they state that on their FA paperwork) and I don't know how they are legally doing that!!! WHY DOES OUR GOVERNMENT WHO OVERSEES THE FEDERAL FINANCIAL AID PROGRAM let KAPLAN UNIVERISTY collect interest in LOANS WE TAKE OUT and we have to pay all that back. IT JUST SEEMS SO WRONG TO ME. I complained once to an advisor about my class and issues with financial aid and she actually PULLED ME OUT OF MY COURSE WITHOUT JUSTIFIED REASONS. I was so angry, I called, emailed etc and she finally put me back into the class and of course I was behind because I couldn't log in to the site at all. I requested a complaint form many times from my ACADEMIC ADVISOR, FINANCIAL AID "OFFICERS" and it took two months before I finally got one of the KAPLAN FA "REPS" to email me one. I'V BEEN LITERALLY SICK WITH STRESS OVER THIS and they give you no way to go beyond the person on the phone. I can barely tolerate calling them anymore for fear of the anger they cause me might cause me to have a stroke due to the high blood pressure that I get every time I call!!! At least before this year my lender CITIBANK let me have access to my financial aid loan status etc. but with the new DIRECT LOAN program you can't even do that. All they do is make sure you know how and who to PAY BACK!!! All the DIRECT LOAN program has done is send me emails when a loan package has been completed and approved by them. THE LAST TIME I CALLED THE KAPLAN FINANCIAL AID OFFICE WAS THURSDAY AND SOME GAL SAID SHE WOULD FORWARD THE ISSUE TO THE "PROCESSING DEPT" AND THAT I WOULD RECIEVE AN EMAIL WIHTIN 72 HOURS! I SAID YEAH RIGHT, THAT''S WHAT I WAS TOLD WEEKS AGO BY ANOTHER "OFFICER" AND THE "PROCESSING DEPARTMENT" NEVER SENT ME ANY THING THEN. AS OF TODAY, TUESDAY, THEY HAVE NOT AND MOST CERTAINLY WILL NOT "SEND AN EMAIL" LETTING ME KNOW THE "STATUS" OF THE ISSUE. MY MBA program is almost complete and it's too late to change universities or believe me I would!!! I just happened to do a search this a.m. to see if there were any complaints about KAPLAN AND ESPECIALLY THE FINANCIAL AID DEPARTMENT and that's how I found this thread.

Well, I hope others will do a search and read all these posts like I have and NOT ATTEND KAPLAN. There are plenty of universities out there that would gladly take on students and ALMOST CERTAINLY WOULDN'T DO THIS TO ACADEMIC STUDENTS!!!

Thank you for the threads posted here! GO FOR IT AND DON'T LET THEM KEEP DOING THIS. THERE SHOULD BE A WAY TO SHUT THEM DOWN IF THEY ARE MISHANDLING SO MANY FEDERAL STUDENT LOANS AND STUDENT ACCOUNTS!!! My "account status" has been offline for days and I know why, they are screwing around AGAIN. Especiallly aftter my last call where the rep was telling me they have "new" federal laws to comply to and I said "yes, I know YOU are suppose to follow the FEDERAL laws regulating FEDERAL financial aid. She gave me a number to call that she said is to contact "the quality assurance" department" I know what it is because another "rep" sent my call their months ago and it's basically just a survey..yeah, that's gonna get them off their [email protected]##$%^* and get MY MONEY TO ME RIGHT? Good luck to all here...

debdia Nov 30, 2010

As I am reading through these blogs, it is as if I posted them myself! We are all saying the same thing..Kaplan, Show us the money!. It is very frustrating when speaking with their cookie cutter representatives. Oh well, I guess one day they will decide to release our funds. I have a feeling they are in trouble, and trying to buy time until things get straightened out. I have experienced this before with another college, which was shut down for fraudulent activities. God is in control, so just pray and ask HIM to release the funds from Kaplan. I will continue to monitor the blogs and see if anything has changed. When I call FA department, I am speaking for all of us, and vice versa. Thanks for your insight, and I wish you all the best. "waiting for my change to come"

• Kh
    KH74 Dec 12, 2010

Looking back, I wish that I had selected another university. I am a current student, in the honors programs, with a high GPA. Their Financial Aid department is a JOKE! The employees lack training, basic customer service skills, and common sense!! I am currently waiting on my educational expense loan. I was assured that it would be sent out by 12/10/10. When I called on that date, I was informed by one employee that I was not receiving a loan check this term because I owe them money...WRONG!! I promptly hung up and called back...the next agent informed me that my check was due to be sent out "30 days, give or take, as of December 8". They claim that one of my loans had not yet posted, yet I can look up on my financial aid summary and see where that check was received 11/18/10. I also asked to speak yo a supervisor, and was told that none were available. Are you kidding me??? This is unprofessional and unethical!!

Being a single parent, I was depending on that money to provide Christmas for my children. I am now facing having to explain to my kids that Christmas will be late this year. That does not include other bills and responsibilities that I depend on that money for. Something has to give. I put 110% into my education...it is high time that Kaplan start keeping up to their end of the bargain!

• Ds
    DS100 Dec 16, 2010

I believe Kaplan uses a quarter hour system, which means that most classes are 4 credits, whereas most other schools award 3 credits. The bottom line is that 4 Kaplan credits = 3 credits at other schools. So when you speak to a school about transfer credit, you have to realize that at most schools, an AA degree is 60 credits, so the most transfer credit you can receive towards a BA/BS degree is 60 credits. However, that is the exact same as 90 Kaplan credits. So in other words, your 90 credit Kaplan AA criminal justice degree is equivalent (basically) to a 60 credit AA criminal justice degree at any other regionally accredited university. That's why you need to be careful when you speak with other schools and discuss transfer credit. It's like comparing the metric system to the English system. Also, be careful when pricing out tuition to make sure you multiple the per credit hour fee by the proper amount of credits for a degree.

DeltaBlue58 Dec 17, 2010

I have a question for everyone that has a complaint against Kaplan's Financial Aid Department. How many students or prior students will agree to add their name to a Class Action lawsuit? If we can start or agree to this lawsuit, I will talk to an attorney concerning this situation. I can't promise anything, but I will at least talk to someone. If we have to pay back thousands of dollar to receive a degree from them, they should at the very least, give us the money and on time.

DeltaBlue58 Dec 17, 2010

Update on previous complaint:

I have been getting the run around from Kaplan FA Office for the past three months concerning my last stipend check. I also at that time requested to talk to a supervisor and was told someone would contact me within 72 hours. Three phone calls later (after each 72 hours had pasted), and three more requests for a supervisor, today one finally called me. To make a long story short, My last stipend check is suppose to have been sent to the Business Office yesterday, the 16th. If, and I use this word loosely, I do not receive my check within this time, I will be contacting an attorney. Maybe even if I do receive this check I can still open a lawsuit. If, for no other reason, maybe I can sue for mental cruelty and headaches.

• Me
    melanieall2000 Dec 22, 2010

I started in March and am in my 3rd term with them. When I started they made Kaplan look like a great college and I would be recieving a 10% discount, well I am still waiting for the check from the second term discount. My 3rd term is almost over. I am recieving financial aid from the government and I am paying interest on money I am not even recieving. The direct loans send me my disclosure statements saying when they pay my college and then my college wont post the money for two weeks after they recieve it. My first term I had my money and discount by 5th week of term, now I am not recieving it til the last week if that. They first told me that they had ten days from posting date to send it out now they are saying 14 days. I specifically told them that this is money I would be living off of as I am a single mother and I would be doing school full time. I made every single person aware of this before I chose Kaplan and they assured me that I would recieve the help. I have repeatedly called financial aid. my responses are your money is pending, when it shows on my account, when I told them this they took the money off, a week later they added it on, I waiting two months with repeated lies and one officer told me there was no one to talk to about my money!! After two months I threatened a lawyer and the business office sent me an email that day saying they would have my check sent out Nov. 5th this all started Sept 28th. It is now Dec 21 and I still don't have that check. They have given me false email addresses to find out about the stipend check and they came back as invalid, they gave me a telephone number that I called for two weeks and finally someone answered and said this is not the treasury department, laughed then gave me the real number. I called that number and two days later still haven't heard back. If they really sent a check out wouldn't they be right on it if there is a missing check out there, duh. I have been lied to, misled, and really abused by this financial office. Then my academic advisor tells me not to threaten a lawyer, so there doing this on purpose is really what i am being told. How in the hell can someone tell me I really have no legal right to threaten a lawyer when they are doing all the illegal actions. I have had my phone shut off, which my parents had to turn back on, my internet is completely gone now and have to use my boyfriends and it is now 4 days before christmas and still no money. The last check i ever recieved was in september. So this college is not posting our money when they really get it from the government and they lie to you about when they are sending it out, lie to you when they tell you that you are going to get discounts so you will pick them as a college, and then tell you that if you try to do anything about it legally you will never see your money or we will make it as hard as possible for you to even get it. I am going to call a lawsuit lawyer after the holidays to see what I can do legally, because I am sorry I think everyone's issues on this board catagorizes in a lawsuit. If you are mislead to pick the college then straight out lied to so they can keep your money, and you have to pay interest on this money but lose the things this money is supposed t obe helping you pay while attending college is against the law!!

• Co
    complaplan Jan 07, 2011

Kaplan f***ing sucks!! you a** holes ruined my life! There is nothing good about you! you don't answer my phone calls, you tried making me pay for school WHILE i was in school, you stole my mom's identity and took out a loan in her name (coincidentally the person who did our loan and finances doesn't work there anymore...hmmm...). you guys can suck a d*ck! I've told EVERYONE i know to NOT enroll in your sorry excuse for a school!! Go to hell!! [censor]...

• Si
    sinn Jan 07, 2011

I have a similar problem with Kaplan, While atteneding there, I was threatened by a fellow student and went directly to my program director... He didn't seem to care about the issue at hand nor did they really want to do anything about it.. Now that I am trying too enroll into another school they wont release my fininacial aid hold, and change the dam thing to say that I am no longer attending school there... SUCH BULL [censor]!!! Now they have this promise commentment thing and are trying to say that I do not fall under that because my withdraw date wasnt after they came out with it.. STUPID!!! I tried to explain that I wasn't going to attend a school where I have to watch my back, or in a hostile enviorment! and I am not going to pay for something that I was forced out of! KAPLAN COLLEGE can kiss my [censor] they are the worst school anyone can attend! and mark my words I will not be forced to pay them a single dime for any so-called education they think they provided!

Sadi1920 Aug 08, 2011

Kaplan University's Financial Aid department is the PITS!!! They owe me money and they are BSing me about getting me my MONEY BACK!!! Everytime I call they have the same excuse - everyday I call the person is putting the ticket in. EVERYDAY yall putting the same damn ticket in???? When I owed them money- these people called my phone every single day - now they owe me money and they just keep putting a ticket in... Ridiculous.

• Ca
    Caramel_lisa Aug 09, 2012

I feel like this saying negative comments about the school is not going to resolved anyone issue in thats the case if you say it such a bad school you could have did your research before attending that would of saved you enough time and effort instead of pounding the keyboard on how bad this school is really is i mean idk much about kaplan because i just recently started but they have been cool with me so far but my advice if kaplan such a fraud school then sue them thats how i feel about it

• Ca
    Caramel_lisa Aug 09, 2012

I feel like this if kaplan is such a bad school then why not sue ? you should of did your research first before wasting your time and energy im not saying this havent happen to anyone is true but instead of pounding your keys about how this school sucks go to the state sue them whatever you have to do to make this right because obviously kaplan still have student enrolled still making there money so i just recently been in kaplan for a month i havent recieved any problem such far but all im saying do your research first about a school becaused you might not approved how their system work get it together people like seriously it a way to resolve a issue.

• Sg
    SGriggs Nov 07, 2012

So far i haven't had any issues with kaplan. My first advisor Kafka was very helpful with registering with kaplan. Even when they gave me a new advisor i still can call kafka and get the help I need. My other advisor has called and sent me emails checking in on me. My FAFSA and student loans just posted today they say that at max it'll take 10days before my stipened check is mailed to me from Georgia. So I am patiently waiting. Hopefully it will be here before the holiday week but we will see.

tracey29 Dec 01, 2012

I just enrolled there 3 days ago should I be worry about my refund check

• Mo
    modude31 Jul 17, 2013

Well, I enrolled in Kaplan for the May 15 term of this year(2013). I called financial aid after the "free period" was over to see if I had been packaged yet. Of course, I had not. Two more weeks is their favorite statement. After calling every day at one point to see what the problem was with financial aid, I was told I could not get packaged because the DOE was reporting delinquent on student loans. To rectify this, I was told to call the DOE and resolve the delinquency, and then obtain a "default clearance letter". I immediately called the DOE. They do not service my loans anymore, and have no information. NELNET does. I called NELNET. Resolved the delinquency. I asked for the default clearance letter and was told they do not have such a thing. I went online to NELNET'S self service portal, and printed a current status letter, which showed ALL loans as current. I downloaded the form and uploaded it to my student portal, courtesy copied my advisor, and saved a copy to my computer. I called Kaplan back the same day, told them what I did, and what I uploaded. This college is a fine example of the right hand not knowing what the left is doing. I was told it would take TWO WEEKS for the verifications department to verify and then my aid could be packaged. Called back in two weeks. I was told it would be ANOTHER TWO WEEKS, as the verifications team was behind. During my wait, I received an email from a fictitous individual stating I needed to obtain a default clearance letter, or else I would owe Kaplan an insane amount of money.
    I replied to the email, and attached the letter I got from NELNET, and explained that the DOE doesn't service my loans anymore and has no information. She did not seem to get this. When I called to speak with her, she was "out of the office" the first time, and "not present on the inner office messaging system" the 2nd time. I received a reply from the fictitous individual, again reiterating that I needed to call the DOE and get the DCL, and nothing else would suffice.
    I called the FA office again. Spoke with verifications. They said what I sent should suffice, but the fictitous individual had placed several holds on my account so they cant verify or package it until those holds are removed. I sent a not so nice email to the fictitous individual and requested the holds be removed, advised the DOE cannot provide me any such letter because they dont have my loan records anymore, attached what I got from NELNET, and told her that the FA office said it should suffice.
    Called again to the FA office. The lady I spoke with looked me up in the National STudent loan database and verified that I was clear. Captured a screen shot, and copied what I had uploaded weeks before, and sent it all to verifications, after SHE removed the holds placed by the mystery person.
    TWO WEEKS later, I receive an award letter. I called to ask when I could anticipate a stipend check. They told me TWO WEEKS. I called again because nothing was happening, TWO MORE WEEKS. I received recently a disclosure statement regarding my loans. I assumed they had disbursed based on that. Called FA office. Loans were requested, and scheduled to disburse on 7/2/13. Called 7/3 asked why they hadnt. I was told that I did not have a promissory note on file, and it would be TWO MORE WEEKS. I told them to check it again, because my PMN was completed and approved on 4/22/13, three weeks before school even started. Called again on 7.12. Student account website showed pending disbursement since 7/2. Was advised TWO MORE WEEKS from 7/2 until 7/16 per the DOE website. I was accused of calling them liars. Well, if it talks like a duck, walks like a duck, its a duck, unless you're OBAMA, then its not a spending problem.
    Loans and grant posted 7/16. This marks the FIRST TIME EVER, something happened the way KAPLAN SAID IT WOULD. Asked about a stipend check. They checked my Credit Balance Agreement Form, and noted that it said I wanted it, which is true. I was told two weeks from date of disbursement, which was 7.16.13. Note thats calendar days not business days. They said they typically mail checks during the first week, and I will know its been sent when there is a dollar figure in the category "refund to student". So far there is nothing, but we will see. I am not getting my hopes up. TWO WEEKS is their favorite statement.

• La
    Lauriekay Jul 30, 2014

I agree 100% I have never heard one good report about this school and it's financial department, all they care about is getting the student to attend even one day past the probationary period
    and boom they have every dime of your money. Under an electronic signature at that; which is authorized one time and they use that one time for agreements you never see or know about. Major issue with disclosure

• Has anyone had any problems this year with financial aide? I haven't, but I haven't gotten a check yet. How long does it take to get a check? I owe some money by september 9th and I don't have any money. I hope I get it by then :-(

Angry Kaplan Student Sep 03, 2014

I have been in school with Kaplan for about 5 years now. I am working on my MBA. At first my stipends came a few days after the disbursement. It is just getting longer and longer now. First the projected date of disbursement is usually moved out a few weeks. For instance my August was scheduled for 8/20. It was move to 8/27. It was paid 8/27. Now the waiting begins. When calling in the past I got the standard wait 7 days. Now it has changed to wait 14 days. The financial aid department is rude and not really willing to assist you with the matter. I agree with everyone that they are holding the money gaining interest to our expense. It is an unfair practice and wrong. I would love to join a lawsuit against them. I did not know all the negatives prior to becoming a Kaplan student but I am very close to finishing my degree and have to stick it out. So to answer your question no I have not gotten my August disbursement and no I have not called yet because I know they will just give me the standard wait 7 or 14 or 28 days or whatever they have in place now to wait. It really is aggravating especially when you need the money to pay your bills.
    Carsondra Deanea Grimes
    Kaplan Student
    FUTURE MSM

• At
    atyler1326 Jan 08, 2017

its been 31 days since i started with kaplan and i have spoken with the financial aid office many times and my stipend amount changes every time. This school needs stopped. All my financial aid has been accepted but i still have no stipend scheduled when i told i would be getting in within 14 days. 31 days and still no stipend. They took my money and kept it and now i am stuck with them, i wish i could drop out so bad

unproffessional and misleading practices

Kaplan College was a waste of money, I was enrolled there in Bakersfield ca, in the criminal justice program...

kaplan=scam=regrets

Education? Posted: 2008-09-18 by ripped off and regretful Company information: Kaplan u./omaha Omaha...

high pressure sales rip off

Within 24 hours of an online look see at distant programs I was contacted by Claudia from Kaplan. Having read many of the complaints regarding their high pressure sales many other people have had the same experience I had. When I told Claudia I wanted to think about the course the sale began. I admit I had previously held academia to a high standard and did not suspect the literal 'bum's rush' from what claims to be a school of higher education. Looking back, I cannot believe I was so gullible! Claudia was in such a rush and pushed until she got my credit card to put down a deposit. She literally lied about so many things, I don't know where to begin. At any rate, within days my life came completely apart and this got shoved on the back burner.

I will say if the academic advisory team was an ounce as attentive as the collections team, I would have had a great many questions answered. Most recently, Ms. E contacted me offering a deal provided they could access my checking account monthly, if not I would go to collections, which is apparently more unprofessional and aggressive than their 'business team'. They claim to be concerned with your education, make no mistake THEY ARE ALL ABOUT MONEY, GETTING MONEY, KEEPING MONEY AND DESTROYING ANYONE WHO COMES BETWEEN THEM AND MONEY!

I will say the 'business office is ruthless. I received up to five calls on my cell in fifteen minute periods. I cannot wait to see how abusive and horrible the collections folks are. I, like many people who have complained have been completely demoralized by the system at Kaplan. When I had mentioned the advisory person (who contacted me one time) she had the gall to state that they have thousands of students and could not be expected to take care of all of them. Isn't that what they advertise?

Lies, lies, lies, money, money, money! They are all about profit with no concern for the student. Ms. E. also had the nerve to tell me they do not have a sales team, they do not have monthly sales quota's, their sales people are master's level, and they never take advantage of anyone. I did not take a single minute of class and asked her if that was really worth $3, 000. and she said 'well, you did sign a contract and there is a lesson in this for you". Could they be more callous or patronizing? The only lesson I sadly learned was academia (Kaplan) is as greedy and corrupt as corporate America and that is the most tragic thing possible. Stay away from these vultures!!!

Oh, by the way, When I asked for accounting for Claudia's behavior and to review the phone tapes (they do tape their calls, I suggest you tape yours), I was told she no longer worked there and they weren't taping that call. Ms. E. did add that whatever tactic was used I did sign a contract and they have many lawyers willing to sue. Run away!!!

Kaplan Student Sep 16, 2008

If your looking for help in solving your issues with Kaplan university, Come vent on our student forums for free.

• To
    TonyKaplan Jul 12, 2009

I have not had any problems with Kaplan so far it has been 2 terms later and I have learned a lot. I honestly think that if you do not apply yourself then of course you will not learn anything. This is an online school so the pressure is on you as the student, just because you dont see a live professor does not mean you do not learn anything. I have a 4.0 GPA so i must be learning something in order to keep this up??

• Br
    BradMasters Feb 15, 2010

If you had went to any other online school you would realize that you are having problems with kaplan simply because they charge 353 dollars per credit hour when any other school online or campus charges $175. I'm a student at kaplan (FOR NOW) do your homework. I bet you learned a lot now huh? U should be getting 2 grand more a semester dummie!

fraudulent practices, liars and thieves

I would like to start off by saying I was into my third term at Kaplan University and decided to withdraw due to the schools incompetent, tenacious and corrupt Financial Aid and Student Accounts Department only to have it go from bad to worse.

I thought trying to deal with Kaplan’s Financial Aid and Student Accounts Department was a nightmare, but after withdrawing it only got worse. This so called University has no integrity, and is one of the most tenacious predators I have ever encountered when it comes to dealing with a school or business.

I had nothing hassles when ever tried ever get in touch with anyone from this so called FA dept. I could never get in touch with my own FA advisor no matter when I tried to reach her. I would call and leave voice mail messages, send email after email and FA would never return my messages, or answer any of my questions that I had.

When I first enrolled at Kaplan, my Academic advisor assured me that all the courses would transfer and I did not have anything to worry about, but after checking into several other Universities I found out that was a bunch B.S., not to mention that they are supposed to be an accredited University, what that really means is they are an accredited school of higher learning, not an accredited University, a big difference.

It was disappointing to find out that a good majority of the credits and courses that I would earn from Kaplan would not transfer over to some of the other Universities I wanted to attend. Most of the 5 credit courses that would transfer over were only worth about 3 credits to most other Universities.

I also realized that I would be going into an incredible amount of debt for courses and credits that would not transfer. At a cost of $320.00 per credit hour, and considering that most of the courses are set at 5 credits each, that ads up to $1600.00 per course. Since it takes a total of160 credits to earn a bachelor degree at Kaplan, that would be a total cost of $51, 200.00, and that’s if the tuition would have stayed the same, which by the way it increased to $340.00 a credit hour. Even with the combination of the Stafford Loans, and Pell-Grants that wouldn’t even cover the total cost of the full tuition.

Almost from the very beginning I started having trouble with the Financial Aid department at Kaplan. I explained to them from the very start that I was living on disability Income and could not afford any out of pocket expenses. I was assured that I would not have to worry about that because of my income, and they told me that it would all be picked up through my Stafford loans, and Federal Pell Grants.

Of course I found that was a big misrepresentation once I started receiving bills for past due tuition. That was when I tried repeatedly to have it resolved with FA and ended up with many different stories as why I now have an out-of-pocket expense that I was originally assured that I would not have in the first place.
When I originally got walked through Kaplan’s financial wizard by my Admissions Advisor it showed that I would not have any out of pocket expenses, but soon after starting my first term I started getting bills for unpaid tuition. That’s when I started confronting financial aid about it.

When I was able to finally reach my FA advisor she told me it was because my EFC rating changed. I asked her how my EFC could change when my income did not change. She tried to say I went into FAFSA and changed it. I told her that was a
bunch of B.S., so I called FAFSA and found out that that Kaplan went in there and changed my EFC from a 0 to 1873 rating which lead to a out of pocket expanse that I was not prepared to pay.

Once again they assured me not to worry because it would get picked up into the following year’s financial aid distribution. I found out that was a crock of B.S. also once I started to get harassed for more money. Now their excuse this time was my grants and loans for the new FA aid year did not cover the full cost of the tuition which once again was a different story that I was originally lead to believe.

I have a friend who enrolled at Kaplan around the same time I did, and she was going through almost the identical same situation I was, and she even had a different Financial Aid officer than I did. The longer I attended Kaplan the more screwed up, disorganized, deceptive, manipulative and greedy I found out Kaplan was. Once I decided to withdraw it took Kaplan about a month to figure out what my final bill would be.

They then wanted me to take this withdraw exit test and said it was required by the lending institution who was holding my loans. The website they gave me I could not even use because I got all kinds of security warnings about the sites security certificates. My Internet Explorer warned me not to leave any identifiable information at the site, which is what you had to do to complete the test.

I constantly called and wrote about this situation that I experienced to see what I could do about or what they suggested I should do, and nobody from their Student Accounts dept. would even get back with me on it. So I contacted the bank who is holding my loans and they said there was nothing they could do until the school notified them that I withdrew. Kaplan never even bothered let the Bank know that I withdrew from school, so I was still left in limbo on that too.
So to my dismay I ended up receiving a final bill in the mail on 08/05/08, even though I did not take the exit test that was supposed to be required to take by The Higher Education Foundation. In only three days after receiving the final withdraw calculation or final bill, I then received a late notice. I don’t know about you, but that’s the quickest late notice I have ever received, in only three days.

I never even received a notice in my hard mail or snail mail, it was through the e-mail. I then started getting phone calls on a daily basis. I contacted student accounts about it, and told them I would pay the full amount next month. I have since received phone calls three times a day on both my land-line and cell phone to the point it has become pure harassment.

It has only been a little over a week since receiving that final withdraw calculation from Kaplan and they have called over 23 times now, because I have kept records of every time they have called. I even wrote and called them back several times and said I would report them to the Higher Education Foundation, The Attorney General and the FCC for phone harassment. Can you believe they even have called twice today?

I can’t believe with all the complaints filed at Rip-Off and other places online that I have read about, along with some of class action law-suites that have been filed against Kaplan University, they are still taking advantage of so many people.

This bogus school has managed to destroy the hopes and dreams of many individuals wanting to improve the quality of their lives, only to have that dream shattered by such a greedy, ruthless organization called a University that’s just nothing more than a front for dishonest, shady and manipulative practices for their own financial gain.
I stand behind and would like to join forces with anyone that would like to get a class-action law-suit against this so called University. Kaplan University needs to be shut-down so they don’t continue to wrecking the lives of hard working individuals with the hopes of improving the quality of their lives. There are a lot of people out there whose lives are totally turned upside down by this kind of ruthlessness.

• He
    Hellweg Aug 05, 2017

@Kaplan Student Does anyone know of lawyers that are willing to sue Kaplan? I was refused to reenter my program based on a clinical evaluation of hear-say. I had only two classes to complete. I was going to ask what I had to do to get back into the program, however, I figure they would require too many additional glasses. They claim their policies give them the right to refuse students. I also was told liars during the admission inquiry. Brenda

• Ki
    Kimberly Sep 23, 2008

I am somewhat worried now. I have been on disability income and did not want to continue and JUST decided to go back to school, for my bachelors. I am to start on October 15th and had 3 schools total that I was admitted to and were negotiating pro-con's. Things have been a little iffy, and disorganized at times already. Today, I got an email about the Fin-aid wizard that they said I did not complete so they will go on with their plan, when I in fact did PLUS wrapped it up nicely with a bow and confirmed it with the financial advisor. Yes-I am getting red flags already.

I cannot get caught up in this web YOUR SPEAKING OF as I have chosen this school -KAPLAN. but it is not too late, I am not cut-out for exccelerated programs so many on-line colleges offer.
    May I please get some input-QUICK !!!

• Da
    David Nov 07, 2008

I have the same problem they put me in the wrong class and won't refund my money back to my lenders. What did you do and who do you complain to.

• Se
    SEA Jan 23, 2009

It has been a nightmare, I loved the classes and enjoyed the professors but the nightmare began when I completed my courses. It should of sent up red flags the first time they called and wanted money but I managed to pay them the $14oo dollars they wanted with out question, then a week before compliting my classes they informed me I owed another $2000, I was upset but reassured that I was finished and no money was owed and I would be able to recieve my transcripts and degree. Weeks later I tried to order my transcripts and was told I had an owed amount. I thengot the run around from financial aid and student accounts, no return calls, no answers, the one excuse I got was that it was because one of my student loans had not paid and that it would be resolved. Now they are holding my transcripts hostage and demanding $7, 000 . I am a single mom of three and working two jobs as it is. I know am at risk of loosing my job because of Kaplan.

• Sh
    Shawn May 11, 2009

I was attending Kaplan University online program for one year. When I first enrolled I was promised a $3, 000 scholorship for having my associate degree completed with a 3.5 gpa. Each term I would try to contact Gillian Smith the advisor by leaving voice mail messages and sending email messages. She NEVER replied until after my account was disabled due to over due balance. (Which the scholorship should have covered) Long story short I now have a $4, 000 balance and can not complete my degree which I started. I contiue to send them emails (which I have read receipts) with no responds, but I do get calls from their collection account wanting me to pay this balace left. Which I also told them upfront that being a single parent I could NOT afford any out of pockets payment. I was told my loans & grant would cover everything. UNTURE!
    ** IF YOU ARE THINKING OF ENROLLING AT THIS SCHOOL DON'T **
    They only want the money, they are not concern about people completing their degree!!

• Ly
    Lynn Jun 06, 2009

I know i'm ditto as far as this complaint goes. They are a ###ed up school, that should be closed down. The FA dept is totally hell, they are dopes, slum-dwellers whatever, and probably comprised of reformed prison inmates, cause that is just what they all sound like to me. And act it as well, like they have a loaded rifle to your head only over the telephone. I will never acknowledge another single piece of garbage paper bill in the mail from them again, I'll just pretend I never knew them in the first place, and as though i no longer exist. If they do try anything, i'll have every single one of them arrested on fraud and indentity thieft charges, long arm statute can make it possible.

• Ly
    Lynn Jun 06, 2009

Don't ever pay them ANY money, guys, ### them. They can never reach me anyways, so i can say i never got any calls from them or bills. Thus they can't prove you ever corresponded with them, I have a background in bankruptcy law, guys so listen to me. I have no assets they can touch, etc. and i could also have them all arrested.

• Most of the education that people are lacking is the Department of Education's platform on transfer credits and FAFSA rules and regulations for Federal Aid.

Regionally accredited schools all have classes elligible for review when it comes to transfer credits... 1st you have to transfer to a similar major at a different University that has the same requirements. Tradional State University students often times end up with way more credits than needed for a degree, but have taken classes outside of the degree requirements. In that case you lose transfer credits because they do not match the new schools required classes within a degree, not because they were not properly accredited.

The Department of Education is the one that establishes Semester schools are 3 and 4 credits, while quarter schools = 5 and 6 for the same class. In a transfer situation they are apples for apples 3 =5 and 5=3. It feels like a loss, but it takes 160-180 credits for a BS in a quarter school and 120-130 in a semester school.

FAFSA schools are so heavily regulated that a school can not change nor would they benefit from changing your EFC. Mistakes made during FAFSA filing and financial guidelines changing from year to year keep your EFC adjustable. Changes in income are only a small part of the equation. The cost of education, family dynamic and FAFSA guideline changes play a part as well.

For the time it takes to make complaints about these things... you could have contacted reputable sites that would have given you the information you need to not let this happen again in the future.

You will end up with a ton of student loans... a hate list of all the schools you attend... and a stack of excuses... but still no degree if you are not careful.

It is not a college's job to do the due dilligence of making sure you understand your rights and qualifications... did you research at all before signing up for $60, 000. Hate sites are free... anonymous andoften times the postings are from competing schools... look at wikipedia, department of Ed, www.chea.org to find out about schools. You can find out about any law suits, etc. All of these hate sites, but you don't file suit raises red flags to me as a TRUE researcher.

• Ne
    NewMexicoBelle Dec 03, 2009

I just completed my Associates in Paralegal Studies with Kaplan University and for the first year and a half everything went well. I was an A and B student until my Algebra teacher became unresponsive to my emails for assistance and I eventually failed that course. I was told by my Academic Advisor, Shannon Watson that I could retake the classes and not be charged but lo and behold they charged me again and now want me to pay $3500 that I should not owe. My 2 classes didn't even cost that much and no one can explain why I still have a balance, not even the Financial Aid rep I spoke to. My account ledger on their website makes little to no sense and shows that I have a zero balance. I was told from the beginning by my Admissions Advisor that my entire program would be covered by grants and loans. I wish I would have checked into this so called University a little more before signing anything. I now owe thousands in student loans and I can't even reach anyone in Financial Aid or Academic Advising to try to get any type of resolution. When someone from the school does call, it is Student Accounts (who call 2-3 times a day as late as 830pm) and they don't care about my issue. When I got a call the other day from Academic Advising-surprise, surprise it was a new person I've never dealt with, I told him about my issue and that I would not be returning due to my experience. He didn't even seem to care and simply said ok and hung up!!! I guess I'm not a valued consumer as far as Kaplan University is concerned. Once they get your money they don't really care about you. DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT ATTEND THIS SO CALLED UNIVERSITY. It will ruin you financially and emotionally. I put 2 years and thousands of dollars into a program and I can't even check my final grades on my last 2 courses because they disabled my account! I don't even know if they are going to give me my degree. What a nightmare. I am going to try to contact my Governor, the Better Business Bureau, Dept. of Education, Attorney General's office, and even write a letter to President Obama to see if I can get any assistance.

• Ih
    I hate Kaplan Jan 28, 2010

The situation that I have with Kaplan University, is that they owe me money that they will not pay. For the past three terms now my account is sitting with credits that are not forwarding over, and are not being stipened back to me as they state. I am told over and over that they have it scheduled to be released, or that they are going to manual batch process it, but still NOTHING. Like everyone else I never get responses from their financial aid department, or my advisor. Never receive return emails, never receive voicemails, or when I do speak to someone else in the department that says they are working on it that they will call me back so they don't leave me on hold for another 2 hours back and forth, they DON"T return phone calls. When you call back, no one seems to know anything. My financial aid advisor when finally speaking tried telling me many different stories. I caught her in the lies as I have screen captures that show my credits carrying over, but in trying to fix they end up just sitting there and not transferring over to the next term. I have confirmation emails that others were working on the situation saying funds were set up to be released back to myself. But again NOTHING. In the mean time when I call my financial aid ledger has a patchwork of an entire year of student loans and grants posting and not posting. I have letters from my loan company stating when the money was released to the school. Upon calling the school out on this immediatley loans In January of 2010 finally posted to a July 2009 term magically. But what do they say? You have no missing money that hasn't been posted. Idiots, read the dates you just posted it as we were speaking. I understand financial aid quite well as this is not my first time in school. I just want to know how they can get away with the crap they are pulling. I'm so happy to hear that I am not the only person that has had issues with this financial aid department. Everything about them says RED FLAG, Fruad, and Theft.

• Jb
    JBoyer7 Mar 09, 2010

I am researching some lawyers to file a classaction lawsuit against Kaplan. If anyone would like to join please email me at [email protected] I am fed up with the corruption! In order to file a class action suit, I need people who are serious about this that want justice just as much as I do. I can't file a class action without more people. Thanks.

• Pa
    pattychapelhill Apr 06, 2010

Kaplan University is terrible,
    Instructors do not answer emails with questions regarding projects, seminars, explanations..ANYTHING during the whole term.

Customer service are terrible!, academic advising department treat with ZERO respect, make fun of you on the phone, and with "sarcastic comments".

I wam in the middle of a class... trying to drop Kaplan but once y ou there... you are stuck in this terrible institution.!!! All I got out of Kaplan is bills, no degree just the bigest mistake I ever made.

Kapaln should be out of business, they want your money and could care less if you get a degree.

• As
    Ashley Noor May 29, 2010

Kaplan's financial aid department is the worst. I have been there almost four years. I have seen the financial aid deparment everyone there looks like there from Compton. They must have requirements of being from the hood with gold teeth, fake hair, and tatoos on their face.
    Every other deparment runs smoothly. If you are not enrolled I would NOT advice in doing so unless you are paying in full and not dealing with their fiancial department. I left 2 voicemails for the lazy fa managers and nobody called me back. Everyone who works in their FA dept either dosen't speak English, straight ghetto trash, or just plain ignorant (or a combination).

Kaplancollege Jun 10, 2010

My thing is that the campus in Texas is like going to high school or even an elemetary school. They ask if you want a hall pass to get into class and the last I knew I was an adult. I personally feel like this school is going to fold and then we are all left to pay this outstanding school bill without a degree to show for it. This place to me is not a school but it is a business for the higher up people. I just hope that I am able to get my degree before Kaplan does go completely out of business...

• As
    askthestreetsaboutme Aug 16, 2010

I am a student now at Kaplan. I will not leave you with what has gone on with me at Kaplan but I will tell you this, I'm going to bring those MotherF*ckers down and I'm almost there. I have some info I would like to send to anyone who is interested in a class action suit. I am currently in contact with an attorney who is educating students on the tactics of these online Universities. FYI: Kaplan University "states" that they do not get a commission for enrolling you but they do. The more students that they enroll the more their salary goes up. What you pay for online tuition vs. going to a community college is $1, 000 less. Is anyone on the Dean's List? Making straight A's every term? Having major problems with the financial aid department? Did you know that Kaplan is not an Accredited University? That means that your diploma is not worth the paper it is written on and if you think you're going to find that dream job, it's not going to happen. I found this information out by my attorney.

Well in order for them to keep enrolling students and taking their grants and loan money they have to make it look like you are passing with flying colors because if people start failing they drop out and then Kaplan can't get anymore money from their lender. This is only .1% of what I have to say but, anyone who wants information on what they need to do to make these schools stop taking advantage of students trying to better their lives, Email me at [email protected] In the subject field write, "Class Action Suit". I will in return email you the information that you will need. I am very skeptical about who I send this info to so I will ask questions first, and wait for your response before I send the info. The more people we can get this info out to the quicker and more successful we can be as a people to bring these universities down. So, find as many people as you can to send me an email.

• Et
    etaylor89 Aug 19, 2010

I am going through the same thing. First off, when I first started talking to an Advisor my house was broken into and my laptop (the only computer I had) was stolen. I was then told that I'd never be able to attend if I didn't enroll then and there. I should have known better. I told them fine I won't do it. Then my advisor apologized and said she worked it out to where I can enroll at a different time. I was so excited to be able to go back to school with my lifestyle. I was told that I'd never have any out of pocket expenses either. I did everything I needed to and got into classes. A week after I started by first 2 classes I received a phone call saying that I owed almost $800. I asked why I am being charged for something I was told I didn't have to pay. I then called my advisor and it took the longest for her to call me back. When I finally was able to talk to her, she was all "oh they didn't tell you?" I then informed her that if I would have been told this I never would have agreed. Every document I was showed told me I didn't owe anything. Now they are trying to collect from me. I withdrew the same day, a week after I started school. They waited long enough to where I couldn't drop or add anything. In July, I only owed $986 after everything. Well a week after I was informed that my loan was refunded back to my lender without me knowing and now I owe $2800. They keep telling me that I have to make a payment plan, and it has to be a fixed amount. I can't make the payments because I am already paying on 2 other school loans. They don't listen. I am getting numerous amounts of calls everyday. It's always a different person telling me the same thing. One day I had to inform a woman that I already spoke to them and talked it out. Well now I was able to go online and see what I am being charged. For some reason it now says $4, 000. I then saw where I could make a payment without it having to be fixed. I also saw to where I could make whatever payment for however long I need. I now see how they operate. Tonight when I get off work I am calling student accounts and informing them of everything I know. And they are going to have to take my deal or else they will always be owed something because I can't pay it. They have met one perso who is not going down without a fight. I still can't believe that they are doing this to people. Is there not a way to shut them down?

• Lv
    lvin life Sep 13, 2010

I'm in my 8th term at Kaplan. I have not had any problems so far. There is a wait to talk to someone from FA but I have always gotten a response. My academic advisor calls me within a few days of my emailing him. So far they have done everything they said they were going to . I started my clincals for medical assistant, and the first round went great. The clinic I did my first round at had nothing but good to say about Kaplan, and had already hired a graduated Kaplan student. I only have 2 terms left, so I guess I'll see what happens after graduation, but I have confidence I will find a job once I'm done. I am just curious if any of these people have gone to a campus school? My experience here is exactly the same as I had at the University here, except I get to go to class when I want, from home. I do not see how a school can fake the FASFA process etc, when it is all government monitored.

Maria3333 Nov 09, 2010

I am in desperate need of help. I am going through many of the same issues mention on the above posts. My email is [email protected], I would greatly appreciate any feedback because I'm in debt $ 11, 000 and cannot pay it back. Was promised no out of pocket expenses, a degree, etc.

Mari1313 Nov 10, 2010

All this time I have been thinking that I was the only one having issues with Kaplan. I am so disappointed with them. They think that it is o.k. to take all of these monies from banks, the government and those of us who paid even one cent toward a degree that never came. I have had a bad experience with them also. It began when my academic advisor suggested that I take a leave of absence since supposedly I had missed the deadline for my externship. It seems something or another was missing. Needless to say I signed and faxed the form to her, which by the way she did not send the first time. I contacted her the very next day and told her that I didn't get it. "Oh really, wonder what happened, I will send you another". I signed and faxed the form to her the very same day. Guess what people. Without my consent she withdrew me because apparently "it was too late to file for a leave of absence" When I received a letter from kaplan stating that they "were sorry about my decision to withdraw" and "should I ever wish to continue my studies" I should "they would be happy to help me". WHAT?!?! Called the academic advisor she said that she tried to contact me. Yeah, right. She put me in touch with another person at the office of returning students who had me write an essay as to why I wanted to return along with having me go to another web site for another loan. WOW. That was back in April of this year. He said that he would get back to me when he found out what term I would be starting in. Since then I have not only called, but also emailed him - he does not respond, not even out of courtesy to say I got your email or I got your phone message. Last month I finally was able to reach another representative who wants me to pay an application fee and sign off on a new program plan, AS THOUGH I NEVER TOOK AND PASSED ANY OF THEIR COURSES!!! Are you kidding me? I want to know what the heck they are thinking. Do they seriously think that "Uh ok, I will take all of these courses over again and rack up more debt as I stress myself and family with endless study hours." I also worked full-time and had to deal with family issues as we all do, but I never quit. I now owe loans for but no degree. Lovely isn't it.

• Je
    jessamyn Nov 29, 2010

I am at my last term at Kaplan. I have a fairly good GPA. I have always been able to reach my FA and my SA whenever I call them. My emails are answered within 48 hours and though I have failed 2 classes, I have never had to pay a balance to retake them. I am currently awaiting a check (my second) from the school for credited funds. I did have an issue with the check being late however, I called them and they quickly reconciled the issue. The problem with the payment of classes is this, if you have to retake the class and fail it, you then have to pay for the class. If you retake the class and pass it, this does not happen. This was explained in detail to me by my SA when I failed the first class. I do not have a 4.0 nor am I on the Dean's list any longer (I was for the first year) This is not due to Kaplan but to my own personal family problems. I have also scouted out jobs in my field and have found several that are willing to accept me into my chosen field (with no prior experience other than Kaplan) once I graduate Next month. Complaint boards are common and yes, as said before, free. The problems that most of you are having are a simple case of you not doing your research before committing to a school. I looked into many schools and spoke in depth with them as well as other students before deciding on Kaplan. Every school has their issues. The question is, are those issues going to impede your progress? For me, the issues at Kaplan have not. I have had concerns about specific instructors, some course material, and even a change in me SA however, none of these things have made me stumble in my quest for an education. I am sorry that those of you that have had an issue have not gotten it resolved but, to demonize an institution because that institution did not work for you, is not fair to all those it did and is helping. I wish you all luck in your journeys.

• Ap
    Appel Dec 07, 2010

Kaplan is ripping so many people off! I worked hard for almost 4 years to earn my BS in CJ. They are now withholding my degree, saying I owe them money. However, when I enrolled, I was promised to never have any out of pocket expenses until 6 months after I graduated, then I would have to start paying loans back. Never had a problem with Kalan until now...well at least I didn't know of the problem! We need to get our money and our degrees that we worked hard for!!!

• Es
    Esaunier Feb 03, 2011

This sounds so much like my story. I started byt I did not like thestructure of the online classes at kaplan. I chose online for better flexibity but quickly found that wasn't going to happen here. So I withdrew and cancelled all further classes with the lnowing from a couple different FA advisors and an academic advisor who allsaid I was good to go and that based on how faralong in the classesi was that financially I wouldn't have any reprecussionsfor withdrawing. Then two days before Christmas, I get an email saying I now owe them $736 for tuition and nobody can give me straight answers. I've called and called but keep shuffled around between people who give me excuses as to why they don't have answers. And now I can't start schooling anywhere else because Kaplan won't send out transfers because of said balance. Getting very frustrated and no onehas yet called me back after the many times I've called. I truely feel Kaplan is mistake for anyone.

Tracey MH. Feb 10, 2011

I graduated Kaplan and I it is the worst online school ever. When I fisrt signed on I had a great AA and SA. My degree plan was well thought out and it worked for me. But when my AA got a promotion, it went downhill fast. I was given a total of seven other AA's after that, all of them clueless as ever. The last one Conrad Randal was my last advisor and he did ok, but even he was planning to move on from Kaplan. My FA, Winston Williams, was ok until he got promoted, after that worthless. The FA and AA experience with Kaplan has been a butt ache. I recommended my daughter to attend this school, OMG! nothing but disasterous events. She has gone through what many of you have complained about. She is still waiting on Mr. Brown after a year, to call her back. She called the military student affairs and they did absolutely NOTHING. She was asked to complete a form for taxes and was told to get it from her tax person. Well, that FA was wrong, Kaplan was suppose to give her the ammendment form. So they disenrolled her and now she owes a balance of almost $6000. I do not remember the classes costing so much, only two classes. This school is a dag gum ripp off. Now they will not give her the transcripts because of the balance. They will not call her back eventhough she was told to write a letter if you want to dispute it. She is now attending Everest College and surprisingly needed the same form and the college sent it to her and it was completed in one day. But, she still has 30 credits with Kaplan she cannot get because of her balance. I make sure every survey they send me as an Alumni and when I exited the college was very negative. I still get surveys and I still report the negative experiences I, my friends and daughter have had with this unorganized college. What a waste of a persons time, effort and MONEY. This school may have been ok for me, but for those who need a little assistance, do not bother to even apply to Kaplan, college, University or high school online. They are so unorganized, not on the same sheet of music as far as the military side and regular cstudent side. It's a hot mess. I do not recommend this school to anyone, I mean NO ONE.

dewittinfl Feb 25, 2011

The following is what I am going through now for Kaplan University…and Ideas of help…They need to be blown out the water!
    You stated that my EFC (expected family contribution) increased in 2008-2009…but…I was not even working at the time…the year after that I was on unemployment…it’s all in my taxes…I do not understand how you are even getting these numbers. I looked back at the documents and I also have them dated correctly.…I was not the one who submitted them in late back then. My question as well is why did fafsa and you approve that pell grant if there wasn’t an issue then?…Meaning…IT WAS APPROVED…NO ISSUE WAS BROUGHT UP BACK THEN AS WELL! Plus in the documents is still shows approved, with the dates! Why with my taxes this year while I am working am I eligible for pell grants…but back then when I was not working you claim my EFC went up…what are you talking about…they did more than 1 audit through the time I have been here with you. I also had a finance judgment done last year because they raised my EFC and found it a mistake and they yet rewarded me with a pell grant….Look I am sorry I may pay this balance off…but I am still contacting a litigation firm and in the process with dealing with a business lawyer now…I am sure you will get the details here soon enough…I disagree with you…I had never heard of getting approved for a pell grant 3 years ago and then this year it gets taken away from me. I am sorry as well…whatever happens…happens…I am going to fight this. I will pay for a lawyer either way…I still have all my documents and with the proper dates…whatever your people did is your issue to solve…
    Please check the attachments for the proper dates…like I said the document was on time and approved!…QUIT WITH THE GAMES! I have 2 of these documents in the attachments… the document 2 was dated on 4/17/09 and the document 1 was dated on 6/11/2009 The document 1 was approved on 6/12/2009… I am not paying until I speak to a litigation firm and I’ll wait to see what they say about the matter. I was approved back then and that is what matters the most!…You do not sell someone a house and 3 years later say “oh I am sorry you are denied credit to live here”.

www.Computertutorandrepair.net

• Ke
    Keylais M Cross May 07, 2011

I am currently going through problems with Kaplan as well. I just posted a complaint titled Student Loan from 2010. My husband wants to take them to court over this, because even after I proved my loans were up to date they still said I owe them money. My name is Keylais Cross, and I would be happy to explain my situation to you. My email is [email protected] It will be a pleasure to talk to someone who got screwed over by this school as well.

• Su
    suzzanna May 20, 2011

Call your State Attorney General and file with them against Kaplan

Michelle "advocate" Mecham Jun 16, 2011

I have had similar issues to the point of switching universites. Due to financial aid holding my funding for a month and making me almost loss my car etc... on top of that it just got worse. When I recently sent the legal studies hall department an email requesting information on how to disenroll AFTER my semester was over I received a threatening email. It states there would be reprocussions to my actions and that I need to think hard about this decision. The email went on to be profoundly scary.
    ***If you are having problems with Kaplan University Financial Aid Department contact the FASFA online and you can request an Aumbudsman to investigate. Also contact these people as those are those people I have been working with. ************

Kathy Feith
    (816) 268-0406 phone
    (816) 823-1402 fax
    Siriuma (Rumy) Tiebklang
    Financial Aid Ombudsman - Level 2
    6301 Kaplan University Ave.
    Tel: 954.512.5927

Kaplan University
    Business Office Assistant
    6301 Kaplan University Avenue
    [email protected]

I have forwarded emails to Mrs. Feith regarding Kaplan "blocking" me from my classes after they acknowledged that they understood that I do not want to be a student after my semester is over with. I also contacted my professors to let them know what is going on.

I am currently to seek out a lawyer who can take my case. If you would like to be apart of my case and turn this into a class-action law suit against Kaplan please contact me at [email protected] Thank you - Michelle

Michelle "advocate" Mecham Jun 16, 2011

******Here is who you need to contact to get any type of help in dealing with Kaplan University*******

Kathy Feith
    (816) 268-0406 phone
    (816) 823-1402 fax
    Siriuma (Rumy) Tiebklang
    Financial Aid Ombudsman - Level 2
    6301 Kaplan University Ave.
    Tel: 954.512.5927

Kaplan University
    Business Office Assistant
    6301 Kaplan University Avenue
    [email protected]

I have had so many issues with Kaplans Financial Aid Department that I am switching Universities and seeking out a lawyer. When I sent an email about requesting information on how to exit Kaplan AFTER my semester was over I immediately received a threatening email. This is what is says:
    Dear Michelle,

I've given your request to withdraw a great deal of thought and I want to thank you for letting me know the reasons that led to your decision. I realize you've given this much consideration and it isn't an easy choice for you. However, before you begin the withdrawal process, I want to make sure you have accurate information so you can weigh your options and fully understand the ramifications.

It's important that you read this email carefully and follow all of the instructions I've included. If you'd like to talk with me about any of the following withdrawal information and policies, or if you may wish to reconsider, don't hesitate to call or email me right away.

DEGREE PLAN

Please be aware that if you withdraw and then decide to return to Kaplan University your degree plan may have changed in the interim. For example, if required courses are added to the program between the time you were originally enrolled and the time you return your degree plan will not be retroactive. You will be required to take the additional courses.

Furthermore, if you wish to be readmitted to Kaplan University after your withdrawal, you will be required to:

· Reapply through the Office for Returning Students

· Complete additional paperwork

· Submit a tuition deposit

· Pay in full any balance that may remain on your account

CURRENT CLASSES

The tuition for your current classes may still be your full or partial responsibility and may not be covered by financial aid.

FINANCIAL AID AND STUDENT ACCOUNTS

Call Financial Aid, at 866.522.7747, to discuss the financial responsibilities that will result from your withdrawal. Please keep in mind that if you are receiving financial aid withdrawing may cause you to incur a student account balance. That balance will become immediately due and directly payable to Kaplan University. Student Accounts, at 866.522.7747, will be able to give you an estimate of the balance you will owe upon withdrawal.

TEXTBOOKS

Textbooks for current classes must be shipped immediately to:

MBS Direct Returns
    2711 West Ash Street
    Columbia, MO 65203-4613

I know the rigors of pursuing an education can sometimes seem overwhelming. Try to look beyond your present situation and think long term because achieving this goal could lead to a better life for you and your family. Plus, Kaplan University has a wealth of people and resources to help you overcome the difficulties that you currently may be facing.

If I don't hear from you within the next 24 hours, then I will begin the withdrawal process for you. But, I ask you to take a moment, right now, to contact me. Let's see if we can find a way to help you continue moving forward to graduation.

After that lovely little email I responded about being threatened and that I do not want to be a student after this semester is over. They proceeded to block me from my classes. I have forwarded these emails to the department of education and Kaplans Financial Aid Department.

If you are interested in joining me in a law suit against Kaplan for these injustices please email me at [email protected]

• La
    Lady GIgi Frost Aug 15, 2011

What I'm about to tell you blows my mind and maybe yours too - this is what happen to me with Kaplan today..
    Oh Please let me vent for a moment - So, my college sent me a bill for 6, 900 for payment to get me through school till March 2012, with a repayment of $880 a month. So I called them up to inquire. I explained this was never a pre-agreed arrangement. They know this - James at the finical aid office told me he know. So, you think you can send me a bill - when I'm working on getting my own funding - You (meaning the college Kaplan ) with no notice to me and decide "Hay, you now owe us, even though you do not want it - we (Kaplan University) decided you (that would be me) do want it" -
    (Kaplan University) can not send me to collections or put anything on my credit just because you feel like it and you can't make or tell me to pay you when it was not greed upon in a legal written contract before hand.

What the school institution is going is a seriously illegal practice and I'm going to make a example out of this school for doing such. So James put me on hold to see if there was anything in writing of course not he said.
    James informed me that Kaplan University decided the following - I had 6 credits for the currant class and just enough fund from the government to cover this cost. But Kaplan decided that $6222.00 would be lent to me with a repayment of $800 a month. This would cover me thru March 13 2012 even though with the funds I had already covered this class in Latent Prints they decided to toss in there own money and spread it out of the next three classes and If I fail to pay and even if I make a payment below the $800. Kaplan could block me from my class I'm currently in and then kick me out of school. Remember I already had fund from the government to cover this class. Plus, if I do not make the payment a $100.00 a month fee will be applied on top of interest..
    REMEMBER THIS WAS NOT A contractual agreement: "
    In law, a contract is a legally binding agreement between two or more parties which, if it contains the elements of a valid legal agreement, is enforceable by law or by binding arbitration. A legally enforceable contract is an exchange of promises with specific legal remedies for breach"
    EVEN IF I DO NOT SIGN IT I WAS TOLD IT WAS STILL GOING TO HAPPEN AGAINST MY WILL
    THIS IS RAPE ON A LEVEL THAT LEAVES ME SPEECHLESS!!! IWILL NOT ALLOW THIS TO HAPPEN AND i WILL SEE TO IT IT DOES NOT HAPPEN TO ANYONE ELSE..

kathy ormsbty Oct 27, 2011

it he first two semester they claim they didn't get the paper i get it all done to do the next year application financial aid well i asked if they need anything else i was told no, when it came to disbursement time for expenses i was told i didn't fill it out and i did. now they want me to pat back 1, 500 dollars and they suspend me from class so i drop out. now they want all money back can someone help me please. i love the teachers and the classes

• Fr
    francee3 Aug 28, 2013

I'm up for joining a class action suit against this school. Just let me know.

• Re
    RebeccaRNBSN Dec 26, 2016

@francee3 This school took me for a ride in my very last class. I would love to know about your class action suit as well. I am currently seeking to retrieved my hard earned money back so I can finish classes some where else. Let me know, they have to be stopped !!! [email protected]
    Rebecca

Jammie Holloway McPherson Jan 24, 2017

I attended Kaplan University Online and finished my program in 2011. but they messed up on my federal aid and are now telling me that I have to pay them 1400. I wasn't even contacted about any money owed. When they called I was told it was my fault. I have filed complaints with fsfa over them. Now 6 years later I still have not even recieved anything on the money they say I owe them, but it shows up on my credit. I would love to have all the time and money that i have put into a degree that is worthless because they dont know how to train any of their own employees.

Katie Perkins-Fogarty Jun 02, 2017

I'm having the same issue with Kaplan. I withdrew in Jan. And I'm getting harassing calls and was told they could use a portion of my family to pay off my debt. They never followed through even though I did what they asked. Now I'm thinking I need to get a lawyer. I'd definitely get in on a lawsuit if so.eone started one!

Katie Perkins-Fogarty Jun 02, 2017

@Katie Perkins-Fogarty Sorry. Financial aid. Not family*

plagiarism

As a pharmacy student that has just completed her education, I was looking for a study aid for the NAPLEX...

sexual harassment

I am currently a student at Kaplan college in Arizona. I am in the respiratory therapy program and I am half way through the program. During my first clinical rotation at a local hospital, I was sexually harassed by a fellow student. I also witnessed him acting inappropriately with a patient and an employee at the hospital. I notified my teacher and I was moved to a different hospital. The school tried to keep it a secret but somehow the hospital found out and dismissed the student. The school put him in a different hospital so he could finish his hours. In the meantime, he called the Dean of the school whom which he has had a friendship with. He told her his side of the story and she believed him, at least I am assuming since she has not returned any of my phone calls or emails and that he is still in class with me. I have emails from this student which I have dropped off at the school. I feel like I am being ignored and that the school is trying to hide this situation. I pay a lot of money to go to this school and I am forced to be in the same classroom with this student whom I feel unsafe and uncomfortable to be around. I recently had to switch to the day program and cut down my hours at work to do so, just so I can be in a safe classroom. I had to change a lot of things in my life and he hasn't had to change anything. As far as I am concerned he should have been kicked out of the program but because he is friends with the Dean, this did not happen. Everyone keeps telling me to get a lawyer, its just sad that the school hasn't handle this in a professional way.

• Mo
    mourng Aug 24, 2008

You should get a lawyer if you have proof of what your are saying. If the guy is conducting himself in such a manner it is clearly seen he has NO respect for others. If he is behaving this way now and his career has not gotten of the ground... I am a Kaplan student in another state and in their hand book it states they will not tolerate and type of sexual harassment behavior from any student. READ your hand book that they give out to all students. If you do not have a copy, go to the administration or even financial aide to get a copy. They do not like giving out extras copies but, as much money as they charge you should be able to get one.

One thing I have learned about some (I say some because not all are the same) of Kaplan's staff... they do have their favorites and do show favoritism.
    Good Luck.

fraud and cheating

I became a student at Kaplan sometime in the middle of August 2007. I have taken four classes before I...

scam and theft

I have been enrolled at Kaplan University as a cash pay student. I have no scholarships and no financial aid. I make cash payments and they record them. Yet the accounting department has created two accounts for me that doubled my tuition cost by almost $30, 000. I have contacted the financial office many times to have this issue resolved. According to the financial office assistants I owe no money but I keep receiving bills. Also my online balance reflects a staggering amount with payments due yet according to the finance office I owe nothing. Since my situation seems simple enough but the financial office still manages to make mistakes with my account I decided that I was not getting my money's worth so I decided to drop out of school. I called to let an academic advisor know that I wish to withdraw. He informed me that I need to talk to my own academic advisor, S. C., who I was never able to get a hold of for unknown reasons.

I set up an appointment to talk to Ms. C. on Friday after 6:00 pm Central Time. I spent the whole evening waiting for the phone call and no one has gotten back to me. Ms. C. called me next week around Wednesday with no apologies or explanations as to why my appointment was not kept. She also sent me an email letting me know who I have to contact in order to withdraw from this school. I have followed her directions precisely and let her know that all the steps were completed. She then informed me that I had to do an exit interview with a senior advisor and set up an appointment on Monday at 6:00 pm Central Time. This appointment was never kept.

I contacted Ms. C. again and informed her that I was getting very frustrated and she did apologize and promised to get back to me. That was the last time I spoke with her. I called again last week and was informed that Ms. C. was not available to take the call but I should make an appointment with her. I made a third appointment on Friday at 3:00 pm and informed the person setting up the appointment that I would be at work. I gave specific instructions that I needed to be contacted at my job and left a phone number. Ms. C. called me at home and left a message even though I made sure to leave my work number. She also had my cell that she could call and would have been able to reach me. I have sent her an email that I was very frustrated and disappointed with the way I am being treated.

Thought this ordeal I kept informing Ms. C. that I planned to finish the current term since I paid almost $2000.00 for it. I have copies of all the emails including the one informing her in writing that I planned to finish this term. I have not heard from Ms. C. so I called the academic advisor and spoke with another person letting her know of the trouble so far. She has been very helpful and I informed her that I planned to finish this term since I already paid for it and was half way through earning 100% in class so far.

Today I tried to log into my class since I have an assignment due this week to work on it but found out that my account has been blocked. I called academic advising and talked to a lady who informed me that I was dropped from the class and that I need to contact my academic advisor, Ms. C., to be reinstated, who is not here on the weekends. So I have been charged almost $2000.00 for a class that I was forced out of for no reason but someone's incompetence and now I cannot get a hold of anyone who could help me access my class. No one is willing to help me and I cannot get a hold of Ms. C. either. I am told that I need to set up an appointment with her but according to my previous experience she is not likely to keep this appointment.

I have copies of all the email correspondences.

• Vi
    Victoria Bugayev Apr 05, 2008

I have copies of all the email correspondences.

Karen Carpenter Sep 12, 2008

I had a similar situation occur. I received a scholarship to study at Kaplan U from my company and thought I was doing something great for myself. I used the scholarship for two classes and paid for a third on my own. I did not have any loans or financial aid. I wanted to withdraw because I could no longer afford the tuition. I had so much trouble getting through to any one at Kaplan, least of all my own academic advisor. I finally got through to my advisor and she sent me a detailed email that outlined what I had to do to withdraw. It was so crazy, because I had no financial aid and no balance on my account. I promptly replied to her email but I never heard from her again. No one responded to my emails or phone calls and when I went online to retrive my last grade report, my account was blocked. I got the usual run around when I tried to contact Kaplan. I talked to an academic advisor who said she could not help me, and she referred me to the returning students department. The woman I spoke to there couldn't help me. She referred me to the students account department. The woman I spoke to there listened to me and then told me to wait a few days before I do anything. I thought that was odd. Then she told me not to try to log in to the university. She told me "it's going to cost you money". She was adamant that I not log in and repeatly told me not to try. I took that as a warning and didn't try to log in. The weird thing is, the same day my account was disabled I received an email telling me classes resume onSept. 17th. I also had problems with my account. I would send them an online payment and receive notification they got it and then get a phone call saying I needed to submit payment. It was also weird how they seemed to have 2 different accounts. One would show I owed money and the other would show my balance was paid. When I talked to an admissions advisor when I first enrolled, I smelled something fishy. She was too pushy for one thing and I kept getting the impression that she was trying to sell me. I should have relied on my gut instinct and not enrolled, scholarship or no scholarship. I'm thinking about going to my HR manager and telling her about my experiences so she can report it. All I want is a copy of my last grade report, but I doubt I'll ever get it. I don't think my credits will transfer to another university either so I just poured money down the drain.

Resolved terrible place!

Kaplan University is trying to be something it's not: a prestigious university that's reknown...

Resolved scam charges!

As a Single Mother with a BS in Chemistry, I enrolled a few years ago to complete a Forensics Criminal...