Complaints & Reviews

balance due

While I was attending Kaplan I was informed that I no longer had any financial aid available so I was no longer able to attend. After contacting the University I was informed that here was an error with my financial papers and I would be able to attend the next class. I ended up graduating from the University in December 2009 and I received my Degree along with a copy of my transcripts. After graduating I received a letter from Fed Loan stating they received a refund check from Kaplan so I called the school but I never was able to speak to anyone. About a week or two later I received another letter showing more funds were returned. I finally spoke to someone at Kaplan who informed me that there was an error and they had to return the funds and I now owed them $6, 000. I asked them why I was not informed and how could this has happened? All I was told was well there was an error and I now owe them and if I don't pay it will go to collections. Now I always thought that schools didn't give you your degree or transcripts unless your account was zero but I guess I was wrong.

• En
    Enlightened89 Oct 20, 2011

This happened to me! At first they told me that I was "overawarded" because I received more unsubsidized loans than was allowed for a dependent student in a single academic year. However, after I emphasized the fact that I was eligible for $7, 500/academic year in unsubsidized loans as a dependent student (something they should know) and that I had not yet received any loans for that academic year (as that term was in January), they then changed their tune. Now they were telling me that I was not receiving all of the money that they originally said I was receiving due to a mistake regarding documents. They stated that some of my loan money was being refunded because they did not have a certain document on file for me. They had NEVER asked me for this document or mentioned it in any capacity, so how is that my fault? That's the fault of their incompetent FA Department. Additionally, I was suspicious about their explanation because I had received all of my loans the previous academic year without ever being asked to turn in that document. Why was it now suddenly a requirement?

They then tried to tell me that I would have to pay more than $8000 out-of-pocket (this is one of just MANY different "past due balances" they tried to claim I owe, despite the fact that I never had a past due balance. One week they were saying I owed over $4k, the next they were saying I owed over $3k. It was ALWAYS a different amount each time). Considering the term was only $4552, where did they get this $8k+ balance from? I asked the them to explain this and to address why I should be held financially responsible for their mishandling of my financial aid. I am an unemployed dependent student (fortunately, at a legitimate brick and mortar university now). I cannot afford to pay for someone else's foolishness. They said they would get back to me, but never did. They instead sent my account to collections.

Fortunately, I've kept all of my documents and only communicated with them via email so that I could have everything in writing. I have proof of their repeated contradictory claims of a past due balance of wildly differing amounts (which shows that their records are either extremely inaccurate or they are purposely trying to take monies from students that they are not owed) as well as evidence that they mishandled my financial aid. I will attempt to solve this issue directly with Kaplan, although I predict that I will have to escalate this matter with the authorities, especially since they've already sent my account to collections. I HIGHLY advise anyone who plans to ignore the bad reports about this school and attend anyway to at least do this: Do not communicate financial matters with Kaplan over the phone! Have all correspondence in writing!

student loan complaint

Kaplan university - I can see i'm not the only one. If you are being called regarding paying your student loan please report them to https://ombudsman.ed.gov/OmbudsmanWebApp/do?action=getRequest. I haven't attended kaplan since 2008 and am in my second year at another school (Not for profit). I started getting calls from kaplan to pay off my student loan. Mind you when your tuition is paid if your student loans go unpaid it's between you, the lender and the dept of education not the school, therefore the school should not be contacting you at all. I called sallie mae to report them. Apparently, if the school meets or over extends their student loan budget then it can hurt them from being able to offer financial aid to other students. Oh well. Maybe if their program was credible students would be able to get jobs using the education they offered and then be able to pay. But, if you have kaplan on your resume you get laughed at. Sallie mae advised me to report the school's conduct to the ombudsman office for fafsa. Fyi-actual colleges have distance learning now...

• Fe
    fedup1967 Dec 02, 2011

I have contacted them and they work for kaplan and they wont do anything

trying to collect money from me - I never attended a class!

It has been several years since I decided to enroll at Kaplan online. I signed up for upwards of 2 classes (and boy was the person on the phone pushy! She basically signed me up without me saying okay). But I dropped them promptly and really never gave it any more thought because I shouldn't owe anything for dropping that quickly.
But now - several years later - I'm being contacted about an outstanding $2000+ debt that I owe! And I'm on the phone now (for like 20 minutes) waiting to see if someone will answer the phone so I can look into these ancient records. This is a joke! I never took any classes - I never got a bill - and now apparently I've got debt collectors calling me! I don't know what to do or apparently how to get a hold of Kaplan online. I'm not just giving a debt collector money...I'd like to verify what in creation is going on! Its definitely some kind of scam if they think I owe that kind of whopping bill for..literally...nothing.

• In
    intellex58 Jul 25, 2011

What caliber of gun did she have to your head when she forced you to sign up? Wait a second, she didn’t have a gun to your head, you are just a whiney spineless dipshit, well in that case you getting screwed was bound to happen sometime in your life.

fraud

My name is Sharon Egleston. I have been a student with Kaplan since 2007. I think I have had problems in...

fraud, misrepresentation, unethical practices

harassment

I was a student at Kaplan Unviersity for a very short time. For financial reasons I could not continue my education. I was only a student there for about 6-8 weeks. I was only working part-time and was hoping for PAL grants to help me out but that did not happen. I did not complete to course. I received a bill from Kaplan stating that I owed 2, 500.00 even tho I did not complete the course. I did set up a payment plan to pay them 100.00 a month until this debt to them is payed. I get at least 3 calls a day from them still asking for more cash then I can afford. I only work part-time still and 100.00 a month is all I can afford. They want 209.00 dollars a month but until I get a job working full-time I can't afford that.Even tho I pay 50 dollars every 2 weeks to them, I still get calls everyday. I have talked to so many people at Kaplan until I can't keep up anymore. This is sheer harrassment on their part. I figure unless you have all the cash to pay them, you should not get involved with Kaplan University.

• Wt
    WTD 765 May 02, 2012

In 2007 my husband thought he was enrolling at Kaplan for ON-LINE classes. The classes were canceled by Kaplan and he was dropped as a student because he did not attend classes ON CAMPUS. Funny thing is Kaplan made the mistake and enrolled him in the on-campus class instead of the on-line course. Now 5 years later they are constantly calling us, his employment and family members saying he owes Kaplan money. I have tried numerous times discussing it with "Kaplans" collection agency and they have stated to me that HE is the one responsible even though Kaplan made the mistake. Kaplan enrolled him incorrectly, dropped him as a student, never was he able to take the online courses and they said he is still responsible for paying $3, 000.00 (+) .
    Does this make sense to anyone?

student loan from 2010

My name is Keylais Cross, and I am a 4.o student at Kaplan University. I am in the middle of my 5th term and I am scheduled to complete my associates degree in Education Paraprofessional In November 2011. However, that seems to be in jeopardy. Last month, I received a call from Student Services stating I had a past due bill. It is in the amount of $1779, the exact amount of my loans from Direct Loans. I inquired when did this occur and they said it was my third term of 2010, so the end of that summer. with no explanation, they demanded the money in full or my current classes would be blocked. I immediately called Financial Aid to investigate. The rep I talked to said it seemed to be a technical error, because there was a note on my account saying to re-instate my loan since for reasons unknown it got canceled, but no one re-instated it. He sent an email to the head of Financial Aid stating what happened and if it could get looked into. I requested that an email be sent to me updating me on the situation.
In the meantime, Student Services started to call every 30 minutes to inform me about my past due amount. Sometimes it was a voice recording, other times it was a live rep. In either case, it was borderline harassment. They are still doing it now, so they have been calling me at that rate for a month. I called Financial Aid back to get any sort of updates and there were none. I finally got an email back after about two weeks, and they concluded the bill was indeed due, but there was no explanation why. I called back again, and after getting transferred several times, I finally talked to Shawntavia Garnett. My husband got involved at this point, he was more irate about this than I was, but with the third party law set into place, he couldn't say a word to her. I asked why it got canceled and at first she said my US citizenship was in question. I was immediately appalled. The Department of Education has me as a citizen, and so does Direct Loans, so it sounded more and more like a technical glitch. I got put on hold again and this time she said it was because they never received "approval" from Direct Loans so the school canceled the request. I called Direct Loans prior to this to see if they knew about it and as far as they were concerned my loans are up to date. They mailed me a copy of my loans from March 23rd of 2010 to May 5th, 2011. The date in question is 9/16/10. According to Kaplan, they never received a thing, therefore there is a balance due. According to Direct loans, that amount was dispersed and my loan status was updated. If I remember the conversation correctly I had with the rep at Direct Loans, the Department of education releases the funds and it goes directly to the school, the school disperses them, and then Direct Loans updates accordingly after they have been dispersed. I am trying to figure out if Kaplan did not receive any funds for my 3rd term, how did Direct Loans manage to update my loan status?
I am currently waiting to see what Financial Aid has to say about my status now that I faxed them evidence that the loans were indeed dispersed. The last rep I talked to, Dana, told me they would have to find where the money could have gone when I called to verify they received my fax. As far as their system shows, nothing got received, and my US status was still in question around that time. Student Services, however, plans to block my current classes in two days because I haven't made any sort of payment. This goes to show the severe lack of communication between the faculties. My husband is threatening to take the university to court because they are obviously screwing us over and hoped we would not look so far into it like we did. I personally do not want it to come to this, but my degree is on the line. I am only months away from finishing, and this happens. If it ends badly, I will be forced to start from scratch, meaning the past year and a half having all A's was for nothing. Despite the outcome, I will immediately leave Kaplan university, transferring all of my credits, if possible, to another college I can physically go to. Online college is more convenient for me, but Kaplan has soured that experience. I will not refer anyone to this university, either. Although the curriculum is great, I do not think it is worth the headache and hell that the Financial Aid department puts students through. Stalking out the students and threatening to put the balance in collections and blocking classes, doesn't help much for the reputation either.

• Sn
    snarling white teeth May 07, 2011

Put a freeze / hold on your credit card acct. If that is not possible, have them cancel that number and give your existing acct. a new number. I was able to freeze my acct. for 3 months, and wouldn't you know... 3 days after reopening they tried to 'hit' it, even using a different name! Visa called me and received a new number that should not affect your credit rating. I, too, canceled within a week without even getting product yet. They are hard to get ahold of and I had to be quite the a**hole to get things MY way! They even asked for me to send the "free" trial back or pay $60. A lot of nerve! After a few e-mails still asking for payment, I gave them my lawyer's phone number (fake, of course) and said I will only go thru him.Have heard nothing since! I even hear Collection Co's are taking these assignments! Rats to them as well...

MAP2 May 07, 2011

All of the online universities are a scam. They make money by selling you "education" at very little cost to them. There's a reason most of their classes are in business, management, psychology, sociology, criminal justice, etc.

Why? Because they're easy and you only need one "professor" who can "teach" several classes at once online to "returning adults already in careers".

I suggest getting into a hard science or a hands-on technical field at a real college, university or technical school. Sorry you got suckered.

Avoid Capella and Phoenix as well. Really just avoid anything that does not have physical classrooms, or very few of them. I'm a returning adult myself but even though I go to work full time I still go to a real school and sit in class.

People think that online is easy, and that's because it is. Too bad it's not real and even if it's accredited most employers don't give a crap.

• Ben Jun 01, 2011

The United States government, the Department of Justice, and federal judge Patricia Seitz in Miami Florida has an avalanche of evidence to back up the accusations against Kaplan University in its Qui Tam false claims lawsuit. Consider the whistleblower trial transcripts from Federal court listed below:
    IN THE UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT

TAX FRAUD

18 Q. Mr. Hammerman asked you some questions about ghost
    19 employees and tax fraud allegations. Can you explain for the
    20 jury what -- can you explain to the jurors what that referred
    21 to when you talked about ghost employees and tax fraud?
    22 A. We called them Caspers. They were ghost students. What
    23 would happen is a student would drop out of school. He'd go
    24 some time, a semester or two, and drop out. Then the student
    25 would go on with their life somewhere. What we would do is we
    1 would keep recertifying their student loan application to the
    2 Government each semester until graduation. We would just get
    3 their student loan and keep it. The student even didn't know.
    4 We took tens of millions of dollars from the Federal Government
    5 this way. They were called Caspers. Sometimes the students
    6 later would find out later that they had massive debt.
    7 MR. HAMMERMAN: Your Honor, I'm going to object.
    8 THE COURT: Just a moment. Just a moment.
    9 MR. HAMMERMAN: Once again, there was a question, and
    10 he's answered.
    11 THE COURT: Yes, ask another question.
    12 MR. BRINDLEY: I'll ask another question.
    13 BY MR. BRINDLEY:
    18 A. Yes, I did.
    19 Q. And was this something that you were directed to do as part
    20 of your work as dean?
    21 A. Yes.
    22 Q. Who was involved in giving you direction on this activity?
    23 A. Chris Caywood, David Harpool, Andy Rosen.
    24 Q. Okay. You say that the student loan forms would be
    25 resubmitted. So then did you keep receiving student loan money
    1 as if these students were still going to school?
    2 A. Yes.
    3 Q. Even when they were not.
    4 A. That's correct.
    5 Q. Did diplomas ultimately get printed out for these students?
    6 A. Yes.
    7 MR. HAMMERMAN: Objection, Your Honor. This is all
    8 leading.
    9 MR. BRINDLEY: It doesn't suggest an answer. This is
    10 redirect, first of all, but it doesn't suggest an answer. He
    11 can answer yes or no.
    12 THE COURT: I'll overrule that objection.
    13 BY MR. BRINDLEY:
    14 Q. So did the students -- did ultimately diplomas and grades
    15 get produced for these students who never even attended?
    16 A. We just put the transcripts and the diplomas through the
    17 shredder after graduation because they never showed up. They
    18 didn't even know they were in school.
    19 Q. And then what would happen after that to those students
    20 that you were certifying as receiving student loan money when
    21 they weren't even students? What would happen to them?
    22 A. Ultimately, at some point they would find out they had a
    23 big bills for a student loan. Many of them sued Kaplan, and
    24 others probably still don't know to this day.
    25 Q. And, Mr. Wilcox, all that loan money when you started
    1 recertifying these forms, did Kaplan get all that money for
    2 these students when they never attended?
    3 A. It's my understanding they forwarded it to the Washington
    8 about whether they've been charged with crimes. I will ask you
    9 this question, Mr. Wilcox. To your knowledge, do any of the
    10 other relators, the other people involved in the false claims
    11 action, do any of them have access to the inside documents from
    12 Kaplan corporate that you do?
    13 A. No. I took the documents. I'm the only one that has the
    14 documents.
    15 Q. And then who was the only person that you know of in that
    16 suit that is capable of interpreting what was in those
    17 high-executive Kaplan documents?
    18 A. Me.
    24 succeed?

90/10 Violations Testimony

10 BY MR. BRINDLEY:
    11 Q. And, Mr. Wilcox, was it part of your job as dean to
    12 maintain these records with respect to your department?
    13 A. Oh, absolutely, yes.
    14 Q. Okay. Now let's talk about Exhibit LL. What is LL?
    15 A. LL is an actual Gift of Knowledge redemption form. This is
    16 the scholarship. It's filled out and signed by Chris Caywood.
    17 This was a student that was given the Gift of Knowledge.
    18 Q. And was this one of the documents you assisted in
    19 processing and preparing?
    20 A. I did.
    21 Q. And was this one of the documents that -- was this one made
    22 in the normal course of Kaplan's business with respect to its
    23 students and the Gift of Knowledge?
    24 MR. HAMMERMAN: Objection, foundation.
    25 THE COURT: Overruled.
    1 BY THE WITNESS:
    2 A. It's a standard form. This is what all the students got,
    3 the Gift of Knowledge redemption form. It tells them what they
    4 got, what it's good for, and Chris Caywood signed it.
    5 BY MR. BRINDLEY:
    6 Q. And were these made and maintained by your department at
    7 Kaplan while you were dean?
    8 A. Absolutely.
    9 Q. And was it part of your job as dean to maintain these
    10 documents?
    11 A. Yes.
    12 Q. Okay. I'm then going to draw your attention to Defendant's
    13 Exhibit NN. Can you identify Defendant's Exhibit NN?
    14 A. This is an IRS Form 1098-T. This is what we reported to
    15 the IRS, that this particular student paid $17, 465 in tuition
    16 for this semester.
    17 Q. Okay. Now, Mr. Wilcox, this document that's prepared for
    18 the IRS, is this one of the documents that was prepared at
    19 Kaplan when you were dean?
    20 A. Yes. It certified right here that we prepared it and sent
    21 it to the IRS. The student didn't do this; we did this.
    22 Q. Right, right. Mr. Wilcox, were you involved in the
    23 preparation of these documents?
    24 A. I was.
    25 Q. Were these documents kept and maintained in the ordinary
    B. Wilcox - direct by Brindley
    1 course of Kaplan's business when you were dean?
    2 A. They were.
    3 MR. HAMMERMAN: Objection, foundation.
    4 THE COURT: I think that's what --
    5 MR. BRINDLEY: That was the question, foundation.
    6 THE COURT: I think that's what counsel is attempting
    7 to do, lay the foundation. Overruled.
    8 BY MR. BRINDLEY:
    9 Q. Were these documents and documents like them kept and
    10 maintained by Kaplan when you were dean?
    11 A. The 1098-T form, yes. We had to send this in by law to the
    12 IRS.
    13 Q. And was one of your duties as dean to maintain these forms
    14 with respect to the gift of knowledge and see that they were
    15 properly submitted to the IRS?
    16 A. Yes, it was.
    17 Q. Okay. Now, Mr. Wilcox, you said that the tax documents --
    18 do they indicate -- when these documents like NN were sent in,
    19 did they indicate that the student paid a bunch of tuition?
    20 A. That one indicates 17, 000, but they were all different
    21 amounts, 20, 000, 60, 000, 5, 000, whatever the student used on
    22 their Gift of Knowledge.
    23 Q. Okay.
    24 A. We reported they paid for it.
    25 Q. Okay. Was any of that true?
    B. Wilcox - direct by Brindley
    1 A. It was absolutely false. It was tax fraud, straight up.
    2 Q. Then did students receive refunds for this?
    3 A. Of course, they did.
    4 MR. HAMMERMAN: Objection, leading.
    5 THE COURT: Overruled.
    6 BY THE WITNESS:
    7 A. Under the Bush administration --
    8 MR. BRINDLEY: No, I think he's answered the
    9 question.
    10 THE COURT: Okay.
    11 BY THE WITNESS:
    12 A. Yes, they received -- if you paid $17, 000 in college
    13 tuition this year, you get it back.
    14 THE COURT: All right. Just a moment, sir. There's
    15 no question pending.
    16 MR. BRINDLEY: Okay.
    17 BY MR. BRINDLEY:
    18 Q. So let's just be clear, Mr. Wilcox. If you can just answer
    19 this question simply with a yes or no, did the students then
    20 get a refund for this money that you said got paid?
    21 A. Yes.
    22 Q. So were they getting refunds for money that was never paid?
    23 MR. HAMMERMAN: Objection, foundation. How does this
    24 witness know that students were getting tax refunds for other
    25 students?
    B. Wilcox - direct by Brindley
    1 THE COURT: The objection will be overruled, counsel.
    2 He's laid a proper foundation.
    3 BY MR. BRINDLEY:
    4 Q. So, Mr. Wilcox --
    5 THE COURT: As a matter of fact, let's have a sidebar
    6 for a moment. We don't need you, Pat.
    7 (Discussion at sidebar off the record.)
    8 THE COURT: You may continue, counsel.
    9 BY MR. BRINDLEY:
    10 Q. So, Mr. Wilcox, at Kaplan, is what happened that students
    11 received refunds from the IRS for money that was never paid?
    12 Is that right?
    13 A. Yes.
    14 Q. And was this all part of the plan to avoid the 90/10 rule?
    15 A. Yes, that's how we avoided or we beat the 90/10 rule.
    16 Q. And, Mr. Wilcox, did you participate in the preparation of
    17 all of these fraudulent documents?
    18 A. I did.
    19 Q. And who else participated in it?
    20 A. Chris Caywood, David Harpool, and Andy Rosen.
    21 Q. Okay. These documents we just looked at, these are a
    22 representative sampling of a multitude of documents that you
    23 have provided to the --
    24 A. That's very small.
    25 MR. HAMMERMAN: Objection, vague.
    B. Wilcox - direct by Brindley
    1 MR. BRINDLEY: Well, let me finish the question.
    2 BY MR. BRINDLEY:
    3 Q. Is that a small sampling or a representative sampling of
    4 documents you provided as part of the lawsuit?
    5 A. That's a small sampling, yes.
    6 Q. Okay. Mr. Wilcox, based on your understanding as a dean
    7 trying to meet this 90/10 rule, if Kaplan couldn't meet the
    8 90/10 rule and this hadn't been done, this fraud that you
    9 discussed, would they be able to get student loan money?
    10 A. No.

Recruiting violations

11 Q. Did the HLC, the Higher Learning Commission, also have
    12 rules on the recruitment of students?
    13 A. Yes, very stringent ones.
    14 Q. And when you were at Kaplan, did you participate in the
    15 violation of these rules?
    16 A. We made a mockery of them.
    17 Q. And when you say "we, " who is the "we"?
    18 A. Myself, Chris Caywood, David Harpool, Andy Rosen, and a
    19 multitude of recruiters.
    20 MR. HAMMERMAN: Your Honor, can we have a foundation
    21 for this instead of just conclusions?
    22 MR. BRINDLEY: Okay.
    23 MR. HAMMERMAN: I'm objecting to this.
    24 MR. BRINDLEY: We'll talk about the specific conduct.
    25 That's where we're going, Your Honor. It was sort of
    1 preliminary in nature.
    2 THE COURT: If that's an objection, it will be
    3 overruled.
    4 BY MR. BRINDLEY:
    5 Q. Mr. Wilcox, could you describe what the Higher Learning
    6 Commission's rules for recruitment are as you understand them
    7 when you were working in this field?
    8 A. Well, all schools have recruiters. Recruiters are people
    9 that respond when a student makes an initial inquiry into a
    10 school: Hey, I hear you have a certain program at the
    11 University of Michigan. I'd like to know more about it.
    12 They tell them about it. They help try to match
    13 students to what they're seeking educationally.
    14 Q. I understand. My question for you, sir, maybe it wasn't
    15 clear enough. What were the rules for the HLC? What is it
    16 that you had to do to properly do recruiting?
    17 A. Well, there's really only one rule, and that is that they
    18 have to be paid employees, salaried employees. They can't be
    19 salespeople. They can't be paid on a commission basis.
    20 Q. You're talking about the recruiters.
    21 A. Yeah, a recruiter can't be paid based on how many people he
    22 does or doesn't bring in. He's just paid to advise them and
    23 bring them in.
    24 Q. At Kaplan when you were dean, did you direct the
    25 recruitment of students in your department?
    B. Wilcox - direct by Brindley
    1 A. I did. That was one of my jobs.
    2 Q. Did you do this along with any other people?
    3 A. Well, yes. The recruiters when I was at Kaplan were put
    4 into teams. In other words, you'd have recruiters that recruit
    5 for medical programs, recruiters that recruit for business
    6 programs, and I had a large group of recruiters that recruited
    7 for law and legal studies programs.
    8 Q. Okay. Did you direct your recruiters -- well, let me
    9 phrase it in a different way. Were your recruiters paid on a
    10 bonus system?
    11 A. Oh, absolutely.
    12 Q. Describe that system.
    13 A. The system was very simple.
    14 MR. HAMMERMAN: Your Honor, I'm going to object,
    15 foundation. How does he know how they were paid?
    16 MR. BRINDLEY: Okay. I will ask him that question.
    17 THE COURT: Lay a better foundation.
    18 BY MR. BRINDLEY:
    19 Q. Mr. Wilcox, when you were working as dean at Kaplan, did
    20 you oversee the facilitation of your recruiters' receipt of
    21 bonuses?
    22 A. Yes, I did.
    23 Q. Okay. Were bonuses made to your recruiters at your
    24 direction by way of you filling out forms?
    25 A. Yes.
    1 Q. And can you describe for the jurors what kind of bonuses
    2 the recruiters received?
    3 A. They received cash bonuses, literal, not checks, literal
    10 Commission's rules?
    11 A. Yes.
    12 Q. And did any of your supervisors work with you on
    13 facilitating this process in paying the recruiters bonuses for
    14 bringing in more students?
    15 A. It was already in place when I got there.
    16 Q. And who else worked with you in this capacity with respect
    17 to recruiters?
    18 MR. HAMMERMAN: Objection, vague.
    19 THE COURT: Pardon me?
    20 MR. HAMMERMAN: Vague.
    21 THE COURT: Vague?
    22 MR. HAMMERMAN: Yes.
    23 THE COURT: Who else worked with him in
    24 participating?
    25 MR. HAMMERMAN: Yes, with respect to not the "who"
    B. Wilcox - direct by Brindley
    1 part, but what they did. It's totally wide open.
    2 THE COURT: Well, you'll have an opportunity to
    3 cross-examine.
    4 MR. BRINDLEY: I can rephrase it more specifically if
    5 that's going to help.
    6 BY MR. BRINDLEY:
    7 Q. Mr. Wilcox, were there any other supervisors at Kaplan who
    8 worked with you to provide these bonuses to these recruiters?
    9 A. The lead recruiter. They were in teams, so they had a lead
    10 recruiter which had usually worked his way up to be the lead
    11 recruiter. Then myself, David Harpool, and Andy Rosen.
    12 Q. Okay. Now, did you oversee the conduct of the recruiters?
    13 A. Yes.
    14 Q. Did you direct the recruiters to lie to students?
    15 A. Yes.
    16 Q. What kind of lies did you direct the recruiters to tell?
    17 A. Well, they weren't really good at remembering a lot of
    18 them, so I laminated them and made them a notebook. It said
    19 things like: If a student has this object in coming to school,
    20 if they say this, you say that. If they say this, you say
    21 that. If they say this, you say that.
    22 I laminated it, made a book out of it, a manual, if
    23 you will, and the lies were encompassed in that so that they
    24 could remember them. Things like we're accredited the same way
    25 Harvard or Yale is accredited, we would tell them that. If a
    1 student says he can't afford the $95 application fee, we would
    2 say: Well, is there a family member who can loan it to you?
    3 Is there a friend you can borrow it from? Is there something
    4 you can take to a pawn shop?
    5 If none of those worked, we had an agreement with a
    6 credit card lender, one of these credit card lenders where you
    7 pay $100 and then you got a credit card that's got like $300
    8 credit on it. We would secure that credit card. We'd secured
    9 a credit card for them and give it to the student. Of course,
    10 the first thing we did was take the $95 off the credit card and
    11 say: Now you've paid your application. Congratulations.
    12 You're student at Kaplan University.
    13 Q. Okay. Mr. Wilcox, when you were doing this, when you were
    14 giving out these credit cards and were lying to the students or
    15 directing your recruiters to do so, did you direct them to
    16 target any certain category of persons?
    17 A. That was one bit of research we had spent an extensive
    18 amount of time on.
    19 Q. And when you say "we", who's the "we" that researched and
    20 determined who Kaplan's recruiters should be targeting?
    21 A. Myself, Chris Caywood, David Harpool, and various others.
    22 Q. Okay. Who did you direct the recruiters to target?
    23 A. We knew who our students were. Our student was typically a
    24 female, divorced, widowed, single, recently separated, two
    25 children, 2.1 children -- how that worked out I never totally
    1 understood -- 2.1 children, typically working one or two
    2 minimum-wage-paying jobs, a typical student that knew that they
    3 needed education to better their life but had no way to take
    4 time out from their life and providing for their children to go
    5 to school. So they would be interested in going to school
    6 online where you could go when you wanted to go.
    7 Q. And is that who you targeted?
    8 A. We targeted them relentlessly.
    9 Q. All right. Are you talking about poor people?
    10 A. Poor people.
    11 Q. Are these the people who you said you directed the
    12 recruiters to lie to?
    13 A. Sure.
    14 Q. And is this information about how these lies were told and
    15 how the violation of these rules with respect to recruitment
    16 occurred at Kaplan, is that part of the lawsuit that you have
    17 agreed to be a witness in?
    18 A. Yes. It's heavily documented.
    19 Q. Okay. Besides you, Mr. Wilcox, based on your knowledge of
    20 this lawsuit, is there any other witness who has come forward
    21 as an administrator who can testify about the inner workings of
    22 how these recruiters were handled?
    23 A. I'm the only insider that's ever come out of Kaplan with
    24 this information and provided it.

UNION Obstruction

22 Q. Now, you talked about -- Mr. Wilcox, you talked on cross
    23 about your opinions about certain people at Kaplan being
    24 involved in conspiring and in illegal conduct. Now, you talked
    25 about some attorneys from Jones Day. Was the law firm of Jones
    1 Day used by Kaplan, and did you participate with that law firm
    2 in attempting to circumvent the rules for unions?
    3 A. I met with two senior partners at Jones Day, Mr. Dan Carter
    4 and Mr. Doug Towns, who specialize in union issues and labor.
    5 They're the two top labor lawyers in the United States.
    6 Q. And did they talk with you about getting around the legal
    7 requirements for unions?
    8 A. They counseled me on it and laid out a very specific plan
    9 on how to thwart the Teamsters.
    10 Q. Okay. Did you consider that to be conspiring with Kaplan
    11 to participate in these anti-union activities?
    12 A. They warned me that --
    13 Q. Mr. Wilcox, I'm not asking you what they said. I just want
    14 you to answer the question I'm asking.
    15 A. Okay.
    16 Q. Did you consider that to be them working with Kaplan to get
    17 around following the law with respect to unions?
    18 A. They were retained by Kaplan, yes. We were working with
    19 them. They worked for us.
    20 Q. Counsel asked you about some other attorney from Kaplan.
    21 Do you believe that that attorney from Kaplan was involved in
    22 making some false representations about you and what happened
    23 to you in federal court?
    24 A. She lied about me and was later proven to have been lying
    25 about me.

HLC and Accreditation Fraud
    2 Q. Mr. Wilcox, without talking about what the Government
    3 wants, why is it important for a for-profit school like Kaplan
    4 to be able to get student loan money from the Government?
    5 A. Because they can't exist otherwise.
    6 Q. Why do you say that?
    7 A. Well, because their tuition, for instance, Kaplan runs from
    8 $40, 000 to $60, 000 or more to complete a degree program.
    9 That's a lot of money. Most people don't have that kind of
    10 cash. Where do they get that kind of cash if they can't get it
    11 from their family or they don't have it? They get a student
    12 loan. Most every school is in that same boat.
    13 Q. And when you were at Kaplan as dean of legal studies, were
    14 you able to see where the bulk of the resources in the legal
    15 studies department were coming from?
    16 A. Yes.
    17 Q. Where did they come from?
    18 A. They came from student loans, almost 100 percent.
    19 Q. Now, you said part of your job was to make sure that Kaplan
    20 was able to get student loans for its programs. Is there some
    21 sort of a governmental body that polices whether or not schools
    22 meet requirements for getting student loans from the
    23 Government?
    24 A. Primarily two.
    25 Q. And what are these bodies?
    1 A. The Department of Education in Washington, D.C., and the
    2 Higher Learning Commission, what we call the HLC, which is the
    3 accrediting body.
    4 Q. And in order to be able to receive any of those student
    5 loan dollars, does a company like Kaplan have to meet the
    6 requirements of the Higher Learning Commission?
    7 A. Yes. If they don't meet those requirements and they're not
    8 certified as accredited by the HLC, the Department of
    9 Education, they're specifically not allowed to receive student
    10 loan money.
    11 Q. So when you worked at Kaplan, did you have to become
    12 familiar with the HLC's or Higher Learning Commission's
    13 requirements?
    14 A. I became somewhat of an expert at it.
    15 Q. And was meeting those requirements what you did on a
    16 regular basis?
    17 A. It was the daily goal of mine.
    18 Q. Let me ask you a general question first, Mr. Wilcox. When
    19 you were at Kaplan working on meeting these requirements so
    20 that they could get all this student loan money, while you were
    21 there and working there, did Kaplan meet these rules on your
    22 watch honestly?
    23 A. Not even close.

Student Loan Fraud
    13 Q. Now, why was it, Mr. Wilcox, that you left Kaplan?
    14 A. Well, while I worked at Kaplan, I became aware that Kaplan
    15 corporate was involved in multiple schemes to defraud the
    16 Government and the taxpayers of the United States of
    17 approximately $1 billion. That's why I left Kaplan.
    18 Q. Did you engage --
    19 A. I became aware of the fraud, most, if not all, of the
    20 fraudulent schemes that they were involved with to steal money
    21 from the Federal Government.
    22 Q. Did you engage in a series of disagreements with your
    23 supervisors over these fraud issues?
    24 A. I did. I called it to the attention of my supervisors,
    25 Chris Caywood and David Harpool, certainly, who was the
    1 president of the university, and multiple times to Andrew
    2 Rosen, who was the CEO. I pointed these legal problems out.
    3 Q. Okay. Now, Mr. Wilcox, after you left Kaplan, did you ever
    4 tell anyone about the fraud that you had observed?
    5 A. Yes. When I left Kaplan, I turned over some thousands of
    10 Commission, the HLC. Then I contacted a world-renowned false
    11 claims qui tam law firm in Tampa, Florida, and provided the
    12 documentation to them to file a false claims action on behalf
    13 of the taxpayers of the United States for $1 billion in
    14 fraudulently received funds, to retrieve them.
    15 Q. And, Mr. Wilcox, did you agree to become a witness in that
    16 lawsuit?
    17 A. Yes. At that point, I had become a whistle blower, what
    18 the court has since said and certified me as.
    19 MR. FERRARA: Objection, Your Honor. It's hearsay as
    20 to what the court said.
    21 THE COURT: I'll sustain the objection as to what
    22 they said. He can describe what happened.
    23 BY MR. BRINDLEY:
    24 Q. Mr. Wilcox, can you describe what happened? Without saying
    25 what any court said, what have you done with respect to
    1 becoming a witness in this lawsuit?
    2 A. I'm the whistle blower and the original source of the
    3 documentation to prove the fraud of Kaplan University for a
    4 billion dollars worth of stolen money from the United States
    5 Government and the taxpayers.

Grade inflation

20 Q. Okay. Now, Mr. Wilcox, you mentioned that on Exhibit WW
    21 the faculty pay is listed. Is there a correlation between the
    22 pay the faculty received and the grades that the faculty gave?
    23 A. Clearly, yes.
    24 Q. And what is that correlation?
    25 A. If you gave good grades, you were rehired for the next
    1 semester and you were given a higher rate of pay. If you gave
    2 bad grades, you possibly weren't asked to teach the next
    3 semester and you certainly weren't given a raise.
    4 Q. And is that information illustrated by these documents that
    5 you've discussed?
    6 A. That's what it tracks.
    7 Q. Okay. Mr. Wilcox, are these a representative sample of
    8 some of the documents that you provided of part of the lawsuit?
    9 A. That's four documents of about 2, 000.
    10 Q. And, Mr. Wilcox, these kinds of documents that we've just
    11 looked at, is there anyone else in the lawsuit that's come
    12 forward that's capable of -- as you know, that was an
    13 administrator who could interpret the meaning of these
    14 documents and the correlation with the grading inflation
    15 besides you?
    16 MR. HAMMERMAN: Objection, foundation.
    17 MR. BRINDLEY: I asked if there was anybody he knew
    18 about in the lawsuit. He said he's participating in it.
    19 THE COURT: The objection will be overruled. He may
    20 answer if he can.
    21 BY THE WITNESS:
    22 A. I'm the only insider that's ever gotten out of Kaplan with
    23 those kinds of documents.
    24 MR. BRINDLEY: One minute, Your Honor.
    25 (Discussion off the record.)
    1 MR. BRINDLEY: Your Honor, could we take a brief
    2 recess? Could we take a break? Is that possible?
    3 THE COURT: How much longer?
    4 MR. BRINDLEY: Your Honor, I have a lot. There's a
    5 lot more to go here, Your Honor. We have a lot more topic
    6 areas to cover.
    7 THE COURT: Let's have a brief sidebar without the
    8 court reporter.
    9 (Discussion at sidebar off the record.)
    10 THE COURT: We're going to take about a ten-minute
    11 break, ladies and gentlemen. We'll call you back momentarily.
    12 (Jury out.)
    13 THE COURT: Court stands in recess.
    14 (Recess.)
    15 THE COURT: Ready to proceed?
    16 MR. BRINDLEY: I am, Your Honor.
    17 THE COURT: Okay. Schedule-wise, why don't we step
    18 over here for a second.
    19 MR. BRINDLEY: Sure.
    20 (Discussion at sidebar off the record.)
    21 THE COURT: Okay. You can bring them in.
    22 (Jury in.)
    23 THE COURT: You may be seated.
    24 You may continue, Mr. Brindley.
    25 MR. BRINDLEY: Thank you, Your Honor.
    1 BY MR. BRINDLEY:
    2 Q. Mr. Wilcox, you indicated that the policy of Kaplan as
    3 indicated by some of the charts that you discussed was that
    4 professors were to inflate the grades, is that correct?
    5 A. That's correct.
    6 Q. As a result of that, I mean, what value do the degrees have
    7 if the grades are inflated?
    8 A. Well, the purpose of inflating the grades were to keep the
    9 students enrolled and thus retaining student loan funds coming
    10 into the school.
    11 Q. Okay. As a result of doing that, what value do the degrees
    12 end of up having?
    13 A. The degrees at Kaplan have very little value.
    14 Q. Okay. Now, Mr. Wilcox, when an instructor -- was there
    15 ever an instructor who refused to inflate grades? Did that
    16 happen?
    17 A. Yes.
    18 Q. And when that happened, were steps taken to change that
    19 instructor's grades?
    20 A. Yes.
    21 Q. Okay. Did you participate and observe the actual changing
    22 of instructors' grades when they refused to inflate them?
    23 A. Yes, I did.
    24 Q. And can you tell me who actually physically changed the
    25 grades?
    B. Wilcox - direct by Brindley
    1 A. That I witnessed, Chris Caywood did.
    2 Q. And did this happen on more than one occasion?
    3 A. Yes.
    4 Q. And did you observe that?
    5 A. I did.
    6 Q. And some of these changed grade reports, have you included
    7 those in the materials that have been provided with the
    8 lawsuit?
    9 A. Yes, I have.
    10 Q. Now, Mr. Wilcox, you've looked at some documents today.
    11 Regarding this fraud, is it fair to say that these are a
    12 representative sample?
    13 A. Yes, it's a representative sample.
    14 Q. Okay. The great majority of the documents that you've
    15 turned over, where are they now?
    16 A. They're in the possession of the Department of Education,
    17 the Department of Justice, and the Andrews Law Group that's
    18 overseeing the qui tam action.
    19 Q. So the documents that we talked about in specific, are
    20 those the ones to which you have personal access now?
    21 A. Yes, these are the ones I still have now.
    22 Q. Okay. Now, the inflation of grades and the documents
    23 underlying that, is that another part of the lawsuit that
    24 you're a witness on and the documents that you've provided? Is
    25 that part of that same thing?
    1 A. Yes.
    2 Q. Now, Mr. Wilcox, we've discussed a multitude of different
    3 kinds of fraud that you participated in at Kaplan, and it seems
    4 like you were involved in unrelenting fraud when you went to
    5 work there. If you can tell the jury, why did you do it?
    6 A. I was making a lot of money. I mean, I wish I had some
    7 better explanation. I wanted to keep my job. Coming out of
    8 state schools not making much money, I made a lot of money. I
    9 wanted to keep my job.
    10 Q. Now, Mr. Wilcox, you mentioned that you had problems with
    11 this unionizing -- this leader of the union effort, Carlos
    12 Diaz. Did you have other problems with Mr. Diaz related to the
    13 inflation of grades?
    14 A. Yes, he refused to do it.
    15 Q. Did you personally put pressure on Mr. Diaz to inflate
    16 grades?
    17 A. In every way I possibly could.
    18 Q. Did you direct his supervisors to put pressure on him to
    19 inflate grades?
    20 A. Yes, I did.
    21 Q. And did Mr. Diaz refuse?
    22 A. He absolutely refused.
    23 Q. Did Mr. Diaz threaten to turn you and Kaplan in for the
    24 pressure being put on him?
    25 A. He threatened and filed complaints.
    1 Q. Okay. This is the same guy that was trying to organize the
    2 union.
    3 A. Yes, he was.
    4 Q. So when Mr. Diaz was trying to unionize and filing
    5 complaints, at that time did you have any actual justification
    6 that could have justified terminating Carlos Diaz?
    7 A. At that time, no.
    8 Q. Okay. Was Carlos Diaz a good instructor?
    9 A. Carlos was a very good instructor.
    10 Q. Did he receive positive reviews? The real reviews, were
    11 they positive?
    12 A. His immediate supervisors gave him very good reviews.
    13 Q. Okay. So, Mr. Wilcox, when there was no grounds to
    14 terminate him and you had been directed to terminate him, what
    15 actions were taken? Well, let me rephrase that. Were actions
    16 taken to try to manufacture a reason to terminate Mr. Diaz?
    17 A. Yes, that's what we began to focus on.
    18 Q. And do you remember a specific incident in which any false
    19 communications were produced for the purpose of manufacturing a
    20 reason to terminate Carlos Diaz?
    21 A. Yes, I do.
    22 Q. All right. Now, Mr. Wilcox, could you describe for the
    23 jury what happened in this incident?
    24 A. We referred to it as the Jodi Dufrane incident. Jodi
    25 Dufrane was the student involved. Ms. Dufrane was a student of
    B. Wilcox - direct by Brindley
    1 Carlos in one of his courses. Kaplan is an online university.
    2 Everything is done online. So tests were given online.
    3 Ms. Dufrane had filed a complaint against Carlos, and it had
    4 come up through his supervisor to me as the dean. So I
    5 investigated the complaint. Along with the vice-president of
    6 academics, Chris Caywood, we investigated the claim.
    7 Q. And did your investigation indicate that Mr. Diaz had done
    14 the professor had posted a test one evening, he had posted the
    15 test, she took the test, and then he took that test down and
    16 put up another test. All the other students took that test and
    17 got their respective grades but, of course, she had taken the
    18 wrong test, and thus her answers were bad and she had failed.
    19 She thought this had been done maliciously, and Mr. Diaz was
    20 unrelenting in failing her. So she complained to me, and I
    21 investigated the complaint with Chris Caywood.
    22 Q. Okay. Based on your investigation, what did you determine?
    23 A. What I determined is that Ms. Dufrane had hacked back into
    24 an old class and secured an old test back from the semester
    25 before. Oftentimes professors will give the same test over and
    B. Wilcox - direct by Brindley
    1 over and over and over again, and at some point they change it.
    2 She had secured a copy of the old test and a copy of the old
    3 answers.
    4 What I learned from my investigation was that if you
    5 laid the old answers over the old test, Ms. Dufrane would have
    6 scored a 100. She would have aced the test. But when you laid
    7 her answers over the new test, because it had been completely
    8 changed, she scored a zero. What I ascertained wasn't that the
    9 instructor had done anything wrong. He had only posted one
    10 test. What I had ascertained was that the student had cheated.
    11 Q. Okay. After ascertaining the student cheated, did you and
    12 Mr. Caywood support Mr. Diaz's allegations that he hadn't done
    13 anything wrong, or did you do something else?
    14 A. No, we saw this as an excellent opportunity, a windfall to
    15 us. We supported the student fully. We said that her claims
    16 were correct, that the professor had, in fact, probably
    17 switched the test maliciously for various reasons, and then we
    18 went and set about to discredit Mr. Diaz, the instructor.
    19 Q. And who was it that took these steps to try to discredit
    20 Mr. Diaz in relation to this incident?
    21 A. That was Chris Caywood, vice-president of academics.
    22 Q. Okay. In fact, this incident with Ms. Dufrane, was it
    23 documented in a memorandum at Kaplan?
    24 A. It was.
    25 MR. BRINDLEY: May I approach the witness?
    1 THE COURT: You may.
    2 (Discussion off the record.)
    3 BY MR. BRINDLEY:
    4 Q. Mr. Wilcox, I'm showing
    STATES D

Comments

business practices

I was a student at Kaplan University. I enrolled in two programs there at the end of 2008. I started off in an Associate's program for a Business degree and since my credits from other schools were accepted I was told it would take me about a year. This was accurate. I also enrolled in a year long medical billing course at the same time with Kaplan and complete both in 2009, with honors. I was shuffled through the returning student office to return the next week for my advanced start bachelor's program. Up to this point my expereince with the school was great, long hold times when I called but overall great. I was scheduled to complete the B.A. in Business Nov 2 2010 because I was getting a scholoarship which was really just a discout for taking three classes at a time instead of two. I got a stipend check over the summer from the student loans that I had taken out and thought no more of it, I usually got a stipend of some sort every term. Then, 2 weeks before I was scheduled to graduate I got a bill for several hundred dollars saying they would hold my degree until it was paid. After hours on the phone with financial aid and student accounts it turned out I was not entitled to the check they sent, they made a mistake and if I did not come up with the money they would hold my transcript and degree. I had planned to attend there for an MBA right after graduation but could not because of this. I was unemployed at the time and it took me finding an MBA program that would accept me with the transcript to follow and take out MORE student loans to pay Kaplan back for their mistake. Now, I paid in January 2011, but it is almost May and I still don't have my diploma! When I called the first time, it was in processing, now when I called this week, no one informed the right department that I had paid the bill four months ago. Very frustrating since I can't FIND A JOB if I can't prove I have a degree.

believe-in-yourself May 02, 2011

Haven't been to Kaplan. But I know there are cheaper options out there. You can complete an entire Bachelors or Associates degree online at American Public/Military University, at only $250 per semester credit including TEXTBOOKS. Did I forget to mention, they admit anyone with a GED or high school diploma, so they are as easy to get into as Kaplan (easier, as I think Kaplan has an interview required too). Compare the cost of a 3 semester class of $750 at American Public/Military University to an equivalent 5 quarter credit class of $2725 at Kaplan University.

You can also choose to do a lot of credit through Excelsior College examinations, or CLEP and DSST examinations, and save lots of time and money by transferring these credits to a 2 or 4-year program in Excelsior College or Charter Oak State College, that also accept everybody with a high school diploma or GED. You can also do a 2-year community college associates degree, online courses as a non-degree student at a 4 or 2 year institute, or credit through extension certificate courses offered by places like Berkeley and UCLA, and transfer in all the credit to Excelsior College or Charter Oak State College. All options mentioned need minimal paperwork (a community college only needs a GED or high school diploma for you to be enrolled in a 2 year or 4 year program with them - you can probably take courses with them online as a NON-DEGREE STUDENT just by paying with your credit card online and never going through an admissions process - in other words, you could take classes with them without having graduated high school. You can register for CLEP, DSST or Excelsior exams even before you graduate high school and take them anywhere in the country. Likewise, many extension and distance learning certificate programs and classes, since they do not grant degrees, also have no admissions process - just pay with a credit card and you are ready to go! UCLA extension and Berkeley extension are GREAT examples and the undergraduate credit you gain can be readily transferred to actual degree granting institutions.

If you do a Bachelors degree from Excelsior College or Charter Oak State College, be aware you do need to take 3-6 online credits from them (everything else can be TRANSFERRED IN), and the cost is not so cheap or online courses at these institutions, however, it is still peanuts compared to Kaplan. $335 per semester credit for Excelsior College ($1005 for a course that would cost $2725 at Kaplan), less than $300 per semester credit for Charter Oak State College. However, at instate tuition (Connecticut residents qualify), Charter Oak State College is quite cheap. Obviously though, many interested in Charter Oak State College will not be Connecticut residents.

You can take online courses at Excelsior College or Charter Oak State College, as a non-degree seeking student, no admissions requirement - just pay for any class you like with a credit card. You can take Excelsior college exams and not be a degree-seeker from Excelsior College, so just order an exam with your credit card! However, to be admitted for a degree in Excelsior College or Charter Oak State College, you DO need a GED or high school diploma (guaranteed admission for anyone who meets the requirement). Again though, the only real value in online courses at these institutions is if you happen to be a Connecticut resident and enroll for online courses at Charter Oak State College. I would argue that if 3 credits were not required to be taken online at Excelsior for a Bachelors degree, no one would take it. Unlike Charter Oak State College, Excelsior College has no special low instate rates.

None of these options need SAT or ACT scores of any sort! See how easy getting into college and completing it while saving a ton of time and money, can be!

Oh by the way, online classes, extension classes, and CLEP, DSST and Excelsior exams, can also be transferred to other online universities, and on-campus universities, so no matter where you go, you can save money! Also, remember try to hit for a regionally accredited Bachelors degree (and regionally accredited associates degree, if that is the only degree you want to take. However, a non-regionally accredited associates degree that is ACE-reviewed, like Penn Foster, can be transferred to a 4-year regionally accredited program like Excelsior College, and so you can get a regionally accredited Bachelors degree even with a non-regionally accredited associates degree THAT IS ACE-REVIEWED. Just don't make the mistake of taking a non-regionally accredited associates degree if an associates degree is the only degree you take, and if you take a bachelors, definitely make sure it is regionally accredited.)

All options mentioned here can help you get a regionally accredited degree and save you so much money!

Again, why would you spend money on Kaplan when you have all these options? Take all the liberal arts, business and technology classes, certificates and degrees you like and save so much money and time!

believe-in-yourself May 02, 2011

I seriously recommend you do an MBA from American Military/Public University before going to Kaplan. They cost only $325 per graduate credit and admit anyone with a Bachelors degree. Finish your relationship with Kaplan FOR GOOD. If you must take a non-AACSB accredited MBA degree (Kaplan's business school is non-AACSB accredited), AMU/APU is the way to go. Oh yes, AMU/APU is regionally accredited.

greedy

I have recently inquired a few well known Universities in regards to transferring my credits from Kaplan University over to their school. To my surprise, these credits are not transferable to them. I am thankful that I have only been with Kaplan for two terms before finding out this information. However, it still does not make things right. I have gotten student loans out for this university and if I had finished my education and wanted to further it I would not have been able to do so. Some of the Universities I had called were; Penn State, Rutgers and Notre Dame. Just to name a few. I don't know how the diploma holds up from Kaplan however, I don't intend on finishing my education here long enough to find that out. I would hate to complete all 4 years just to be told that the degree is not accepted. I feel that I was completely mislead.

believe-in-yourself May 03, 2011

Credit transfer is determined by the receiving institute, and policies vary widely. For instance, some universities don't accept CLEP or AP credit, but many others do. Some colleges don't accept credit that has been obtained online, even from a state university (but many do).

Some colleges are finicky about course content and structure and only accept courses towards their requirements that are a near match, rejecting even courses with the same title taken elsewhere. For instance, you could do Calculus 1 at a community college and not be able to transfer it to a big state school if they felt the community college course did not have any labs or enough tests. While I don't think Kaplan is the most cost effective option for getting a degree done, remember transfer is a hard thing to do in this country, but it can be done. You can start by examining a program like Excelsior College, which accepts all regionally accredited and/or ACE-evaluated credit towards a Bachelors degree., and admits everyone with a high school diploma or GED. Oh, and you can do 117 credits, for a 120 credit Bachelors degree from Excelsior, elsewhere.

official transcripts not sent to school

I have requested official transcripts be sent to my school (Columbia college) in which I sent the request via fax with a credit card number attached. After several weeks, the college has still not received the transcripts. Attempted to call several times and get put on hold and never does an actual person answer. I have waited as long as 45 minutes with no answer. Seriously, what is the issue? Students spend tens of thousands of dollars and can't receive their transcript or talk to an actual person? Please send my transcripts!!!

• As
    Ashken1020 Mar 30, 2011

Try calling their direct line at 312-777-6333. Worked for me today.

• As
    Ashken1020 Mar 30, 2011

Try to call their direct line at the Registrar, I was transferred through the 1-800 number and they never answered. Their direct line is 312-777-6333. worked for me today!

no formal transcripts sent to school

After finishing up my Associate degree at Kaplan University, I decided to take my education a bit further and try to get my Bachelor in Business at a real college ie, Colorado State University global campus. After attending a few weeks I was ask to get a hold of Kapland and have them transfer my transcipts to CSU so they could give me credit for my degree. Needless to say after paying them for them TWICE, I still have not gotten them, and now am NOT getting credit for a degree I paid $20, 000 !!! You cannot imagine how upset and hurt I am over this! I am starting over because of them. Now for a bacheor degree I will have paid 40, 000 dollars when I should have only paid 15, 000! DO NOT GO TO THIS SCHOOL!!! They will not send your transcipts if you decide to go further in your education!

• Kaplan.University Mar 11, 2011

We regret the issues you are having regarding your transcripts from Kaplan; however, it appears the issue is with your new college. According to our records, we have sent the transcripts to them twice in December, per each of your requests. We will be sending them a third time, at no charge, and via overnight service so we have a tracking number. We will also send a copy to your home address so you have them and can deliver them to your college if they continue to be unable to find those we have sent. We wish you the best of luck in your continuing education!

doesn't answer phones

I have been trying to get a copy of my transcripts from kaplan for weeks now. I have sent 3 letters with no response. I have called them and been put on "auto-hold" for over 30 minutes at least 3 times - never does a real person answer the phone - never! I finally used their "24-hour chat online" and got an email for the registrar's office, but they don't answer emails, either, apparently. I'm trying to get into another online school to further my education, but without the transcript from kaplan, the other school won't enroll me. I cannot believe that they don't have live people answering their phones. I've tried different times of the day and even a different number than the toll-free one.

I don't know whether or not kaplan reads these reports or even cares, but I would not recommend them to anyone trying to go to school online.

• So
    someboss1 Mar 09, 2011

I have had so much trouble with this school and I do not recommend to anyone, even my own worst enemy, to enroll in this school. They ONLY care about money, that is it. My mom received a Bachelors from there and not one place that she has interviewed at will accept this degree. I was one semester away from obtaining my associates, but then I magically owed them $2400. So the kicked me out mid semester because I couldn't pay them on top of their ridiculous $10000 a year cost.

Now I have paid them off and I am trying to get my transcripts and no one will answer the phone. I have literally been on auto hold for 30 minutes, 3 times. I am enraged by this and I am thinking of gathering as many of their victims as I can and for a class action suit against them. Please send me an email at [email protected] so we can see what we can do legally. I really want them to pay for what they have been doing to people.

financial aid

Ok, I enrolled at Kaplan university last year, and they had me submit documents, you know the usual stuff...

student loan fraud

I attended school at Hamilton College starting fall quarter of 2009 and graduating in April 2000. All my...

rip off!

The following is what I am going through now for Kaplan University…and Ideas of help…They need to be blown out the water!
You stated that my EFC (expected family contribution) increased in [protected]…but…I was not even working at the time…the year after that I was on unemployment…it’s all in my taxes…I do not understand how you are even getting these numbers. I looked back at the documents and I also have them dated correctly.…I was not the one who submitted them in late back then. My question as well is why did fafsa and you approve that pell grant if there wasn’t an issue then?…Meaning…IT WAS APPROVED…NO ISSUE WAS BROUGHT UP BACK THEN AS WELL! Plus in the documents is still shows approved, with the dates! Why with my taxes this year while I am working am I eligible for pell grants…but back then when I was not working you claim my EFC went up…what are you talking about…they did more than 1 audit through the time I have been here with you. I also had a finance judgment done last year because they raised my EFC and found it a mistake and they yet rewarded me with a pell grant….Look I am sorry I may pay this balance off…but I am still contacting a litigation firm and in the process with dealing with a business lawyer now…I am sure you will get the details here soon enough…I disagree with you…I had never heard of getting approved for a pell grant 3 years ago and then this year it gets taken away from me. I am sorry as well…whatever happens…happens…I am going to fight this. I will pay for a lawyer either way…I still have all my documents and with the proper dates…whatever your people did is your issue to solve…
Please check the attachments for the proper dates…like I said the document was on time and approved!…QUIT WITH THE GAMES! I have 2 of these documents in the attachments… the document 2 was dated on 4/17/09 and the document 1 was dated on 6/11/2009 The document 1 was approved on 6/12/2009… I am not paying until I speak to a litigation firm and I’ll wait to see what they say about the matter. I was approved back then and that is what matters the most!…You do not sell someone a house and 3 years later say “oh I am sorry you are denied credit to live here”.

www.Computertutorandrepair.net

complaint fixed!!!

Hats off to mr. scott kilgore, svp at kaplan university.
Mr. kilgore saw my complaint almost as fast as I posted it. my issues with kaplan were resolved within hours!
I am proud to tell you I am off to my bachelor degree at kaplan and hoping to give mr. kilgore another 4.0 summa graduate!
Thank you to mr. kilgore and julia robinson, the "wind beneath my wings!"

alledged non-disclosure/fraud?

Early in my as degree I won a 1k scholarship "voucher" on account of my gpa, that I was told by my admissions adviser, would drop off my loan at the end of my degree program. I have never seen, read or signed the voucher. I graduated 12/21/10 with my as, 4.0 gpa summa cum laude. Kaplan is now telling me that my voucher has been void because I took off one term due to illness. My 10 week absence was discussed with my academic advise who never mentioned this would invalidate my 1k scholarship voucher. I have appealed this and sent kaplan all the documents they requested, along with a signed physician's note advising them I was under her care at the time of my absence. Kaplan has now agreed to re-instate my voucher, but guess what? Now they cannot find it.
I have been waiting two months to start my bachelor's program. I am now requesting my transcrips so I may attend another school. Kaplan does not practice what they teach! Ethics! Why would you hold up a 4.0 summa student who was willing to give you another 32k for another degree???

stipend disbursement

Kaplan university is not making refunds in a timely manner to students for excess financial aid. Financial aid representives refuse to give out the number for kaplans business office so students can enquire about why their funds have been delayed. I have worked for kaplan in the past and know with certainity that this number exists. There has been some allegations that kaplan retains the money as long as possible in an effort to gain interest for their organization. I know alot of students have this issue as well. Here are some steps that you can take. Hopefully if more of us are proactive in dealing with this matter then kaplan can be held accountable.
1. Contact the omsbudsmans office for school compliance with the government at http://www.ombudsman.ed.gov
2. File a complaint online to the oig office of inspector general at https://wdcrobcolp01.ed.gov
3. File a bbb (Better business complaint http://www.seflorida.bbb.org
Also, print all correspondence from your student webpage showing your scheduled disbursemnt dates. If possible get doccumentation from your lender showing the actual dates that your loans were sent to kaplan. Document all communications... Who you spoke with. Date you called and what transpired. When you file your complaint with the ombudsmans office they will request this information. Good luck.

• Mi
    michelekorakas1 Dec 30, 2012

Thank you so much for this information!

• Cu
    currently upset Oct 08, 2015

Kaplan university takes their time to send you your money all of the time. they post a date on your account then when that date comes they change it. most of the time they wait a week after the date to even update your account. then it takes another week before they actually mail it to you. Kaplan university needs to give you the option to set up direct deposit with them so it does not take forever to get YOUR money. they also need to be more professional and do things on time. if you owed them they would not wait 3 weeks after the due date to receive it so why should we.

• Cu
    currently upset Oct 08, 2015

also they had this money pending for 2 months so I know they have received it

Stipends, Instructor compentency and employee ethics

Hi
My name is connie. I still to this day can't believe the reviews/complaints on kaplan fa dept. That say the same thing. Had I known then what I do now I would have gone else where.
Everytime I ask to talk to the fa dept manager or dean I get hung up on or a excuse given. I have been told by numerous employess kaplans holds funds especially my eel. I had to get it because kaplan burned up all my grant money. Both sallie mae and fafsa have said they can't do this and kaplan knows they will get paid so no need to hold it. But they do. And I have even told them they can't. Also, like this stipend for january came in 1/5... Spoke with a employee the 12 and she like the others told me there are 2 type of accounts-one is handled quicker cause it is hassle free, the other, like mine for example has to be manually done/entered and they have up to 14 days to post it. She didn't deny many wait to post it the 14th. She said she would put a work order in to get it going (My internet was shut off... Printer down etc... And I have no other money thus missing classes). The other schools I went to believed it isn't their money-I have to pay it back... Once they get it it is posted then and sent to me. Last one (October) took 30 days to get to me. Found out that kaplan had it on the scheduled day (Oct 13). Also, kaplan employees have told me it isn't just for school use it help with daycare, etc. Whereas others say don't rely on it it is for school... Well duh... How can u go to classes, pay for a sitter etc when the school sits on the funds. And as for the teachers... Bbbbuuuuuwwwwaaahhhh... I have yet to get any help from the 4 I had already. Thus, I did poorly on assignments. Kaplan especially the fa dept deliberately does what they are doing... It is wrong and unfair and someone should legally intervene. Asking for help or a specific someone... Top line is no one available... Or call u back... Never does. (I can keep going)

DarBon Jan 16, 2011

and your point is... infantile immature out of content...etc. Pathetic

• Ro
    rooncea Jan 16, 2011

I hope you are aware of at least one lawsuit against Kaplan -- I have the message on my browser. If you do not, try googling Kaplan lawsuits and/or ShareholdersFoundation. This is only informational as Shareholders has not been responsive to my inquiry, but it is worth a try.

MargeEt Jan 25, 2011

Hi,
    Please click this link and sign the petiotn:

Let's make them hear our voices!

DarBon Jan 25, 2011

DONE!!!

DarBon Jan 25, 2011

Here is my response from the Dept of Education/Direct Loans-COD Support. They verify they send funds WHEN Kaplan requests them-other words Kaplan sits on it and does their job when they feel like it:

Dear Connie,

This message is in response to your e-mail regarding your William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan, which may include Direct
    Unsubsidized/Direct Subsidized Loans, and/or PLUS Loans.

With the Direct Loan program, the schools create and disburse the loans. They send to us the anticipated loan information (dollar amounts and disbursement dates) and we use that information to create your Disclosure Statement to give you an idea of what and when your school plans to give you as far as loans. When that anticipated disbursement date comes, it is still up to your school to request the funds, and then those funds are made available to your school within a few business days. So if the request isn't made on that day, or a few days before it the funds will not be available around the time of your anticipated disbursement. It only takes a few business days for the funds to become available to the school, so you should verify with your Financial Aid Office that they have made that request already.

If you have any further questions, please call 1-800-557-7394 to speak with a Representative, Monday-Friday, 8:00 A.M.-8:00 P.M. (ET).

and the Gov:

From: "Madoo, Brent G." <[email protected]>
    To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
    Cc: "DeCosta, Marcus" <[email protected]>
    Sent: Tue, January 25, 2011 11:10:43 AM
    Subject: RE: Delays

Dear Ms. Goff

Thank you for contacting the U.S. Department of Education’s Federal Student Aid Research and Customer Care Center; we appreciate you taking the time to write us.

The Federal Student Aid funds received by a school are held in trust by the school for students and the Department of Education. Your school establishes the anticipated dates of the disbursement to the borrowers, based on the payment periods in the student’s program, it is your schools responsibility to specify to the lender the dates on which students need to receive the loan funds. Have you contacted your school to find out why they are requesting loan funds so late?Your school is also required to disburse a Federal Student Aid credit balance to you within 14 days of the date it was created or within 14 days of the first day of class, and they must notify a you of a loan disbursement within a time frame related to the date of that disbursement.

In terms of early disbursements, the earliest that a school may disburse FSA funds by crediting the student’s account or by paying directly to the student or parent is 10 days before the first day of classes for that payment period. For credit-hour nonterm and clock-hour programs, the earliest a school may disburse FSA funds (other than FWS wages) is the later of 10 days before the first day of classes for that payment period or the date the student completed the previous payment period for which he or she received FSA funds. This limitation is also applicable to Stafford and PLUS disbursements in credit-hour programs with non-standard terms that are not substantially equal in length.

Thank you for contacting the U.S. Department of Education – Research and Customer Care Center. We hope you find this information helpful. If you require any additional information, please feel free to contact us and we will be happy to further assist you.

Best,

202-377-3942 (Office)

Sincerely,

Direct Loan Origination Center
    Applicant Services

kaplan university financial aid/business office out of compliance while commiting fraud and misappropriation of funds

Kaplan University a subsidiary of the Washington Post Financial Aid/Business Office out of compliance while commiting fraud and misappropriation of funds

The majority of State Universiies release refunds to their students 2 weeks before classes starts or 2 weeks after school starts. State Universities also disbursement dates on their website validating the dates that refunds will be disbursed to their students. Many private online/community colleges universities are under the assumption that they are not required to follow the state and federal guidelines. I am a graduate student in my 6th term with a 4.0 GPA at Kaplan University. Each term is 10 weeks long; however, Kaplan feels that they do not have to issue stipend checks from Direct Loans until the 8th-10th week of the term. Expense Loans are designed to assist students with living expenses during a designated term. However, at Kaplan loans taken out by students is assisting the university or the Washington Post with their expenses which is fraud and misappropriation of funds.

• Kr
    KRWC Sep 10, 2012

I agree they keep changing the dates of the checks pushing them further and further out. The checks are to help us with electric, internet and other student needs. It really stinks when they electric company says no we are turning it off, it is not our fault that the checks did not come. Kaplan University is very expensive and the funds we receive after classes are paid for are small and rarely arrive before the 10 week or after.