[Resolved] Intelius / unauthorized billing

I too used Intellius for a one time use and somehow this company has my account information and was taking the monthly fee. The call lasted approximately 60 seconds, the rep # 26192 told me the money would be in my account within 5 business days. She advised me that I apparently didn't uncheck a box which gave me 10 days of free service with this company, after the 10days if I don't cancel it they will bill me $19.95 a month. I don't believe I ever saw such a thing on the screen. I will never use Intellius again.

Resolution statement

Intelius Customer Care's Response, Oct 16, 2009

It sounds like you have accepted a third party company’s offer that is advertised on the Intelius website. If you no longer wish to be enrolled in that third party company’s service, please call 888-445-2727 Monday – Friday 4:30am – 9:00pm PST. We will be more than happy to assist you.

Intelius Customer Care's Response, Oct 23, 2009

Please call 888-445-2727 Monday – Friday 4:30am – 9:00pm PST. We will be more than happy to assist you with your account.

Intelius Customer Care's Response, Feb 14, 2011

Please call 888-445-2727 Monday to Friday from 5am to 8pm and Saturday from 6am to 4:30pm. We will be more than happy to assist you with your account.

Va

Comments

Hi
  25th of Jul, 2008

I've been charged for services I've not authorized. I've tried to call this people to stop this charges but nobody answered.

Ja
  26th of Jul, 2008

The keep stealing from my bank account!!! This company is a nightmare. Dont trust them!!

26th of Sep, 2008

I am so pissed! I check my acct. this morning and I have an unauthorized activity on my acct. from a company called Valuemax... shown as "ap9* valuemax-v" on my acct. After a long morning of being on the phone I realized that this was taken out of my acct. because I did a reverse phone # look up on Intelius website aaand paid to do so.

I clicked on a little box at some point during check out that said something like "Yes, I agree to have an email sent to the email address provided for information on how to save $10"... or something like that. I'm sure somewhere in the fine print it told me that by clicking this deceiving little box that I am authorizing some company, that I've never heard of, to charge my account a monthly membership fee of $19.95 for services that are not specified and that I (like many of us) do NOT NEED!All because I did a People Search... omg! Don't you think if they wanted you to come back and use their website again that wouldn't try to rob you!

The saddest part of this is that it is legal to be deceiving like this in order to steal money from innocent and hard working people! I plan on going as far as I can go with this. It's not even the fact that they STOLE money out of my account that *** me off it's that they are continuing to do so day after day and nobody is doing anything about it! When I spoke with the man on the phone from Intelius I told him he should be ashamed of cashing his check every week! That is our money people!!! Our HARD earned money! They know what they are doing and they are getting rich from stealing from us. I'll be back to add more as I get more information on what we can do to stop these thieves from getting rich off of our money.

9th of Oct, 2008

I was trying to get a phone report and was charged 4.99 they charged my credit card and they were going to try and hit me up for 19.95 charge that I didn't even ask for. They said they would refund my money. I didn't believe them after reading the negative response from here canceled my debit card and got a new one so they cant rip me off like they have done others or tried to. I have used them in the past and have not had any problems but I didn't want to take the chance.

So
  10th of Oct, 2008

WOW!!! They did the same thing to me. I all of a sudden saw monthly charges of $ 19.95 and never asked for them. They refuse to give the refund on top of it!

15th of Oct, 2008

Some months ago I used the Intelius service to find a number for an old friend. Intelius has a one time use feature that supposedly costs six dollars. I chose this option and was able to get a number for my old friend whom I was subsequently able to contact.

However, they charged twelve dollars and ninety five cents to my bank account. I was OK with this because I was happy to have been able to make contact using the information I purchased. Recently, though, Intelius ripped another nineteen dollars and ninety five cents from my bank account for a membership fee.

I am not OK with this and have written to them asking for a refund. There has been no response.

Fr
  20th of Oct, 2008
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

I did not order membership, please credit me with money charged to my credit card. $19.95. thanks

Ka
  11th of Nov, 2008

I can not even believe that these scammers have not been nailed by someone by now. I had a similar situation of ordering a one time phone number info search for 0.99 on 10/28/08...next thing I see a charge on my bank statement from these scums for 19.99...when I called and said I wanted my money back...they said they could not do this because I signed up for a 7 day free trial...yea like I authorized this...makes me mad at myself for not seeing through this scam. No wonder their profits are up 930%...What a bunch of crap!!!

De
  12th of Nov, 2008
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

I have had many issues similar to above with the Intelius Service. Information is outdated and I finally had to get a new AMEX number as this continued to charge my credit card!!

1st of Dec, 2008

Being billed $19.95 @ month and unable to access any services then tried to cancel subscription, but still being billed $19.95 @ month. Never used services from this company.

De
  12th of Jan, 2009

I do not know who authorized you to charged my acct, in the last 2 months there has been ove $300 .00in charges to my acct, ontop a subscription charge.I have tried calling you for the last 2 months to no avail, I want the money put back into my acct, I never signed up for this whatever service, you have overdrawn my acct over $150.00 because of these charges

Sp
  21st of Jan, 2009

I waited and waited for a response. I e-mailed, no one contacted me I am being billed $19.95. I did not autherize the payment be taken out of my checking account. This is a ripoff

Jo
  3rd of Feb, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

I got taken by this scam too. Because I didn't check my billing statements carefully, a single 99 cent inquiry through Intelius cost me $120!!! I supposedly signed up for some identity protection program. The thing is, I already have id protection provided by another company (for free) because my insurance company lost everyone's records. Therefore, I KNOW I did not agree to pay for this service. I just called "customer service" (hah!) and complained about the scam. The rep told me it wasn't a scam. I strongly disagreed and got hung up on. If the charge is on my next bill, I'll be back to vent - maybe I'll have to cancel my card too. It would be cheaper than a lawsuit. BEWARE OF THIS COMPANY. I WILL NOT USE IT AGAIN.

Fi
  18th of Feb, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

I did not order membership, please credit me with money charged to my credit card. $19.95. your customer service has a waiting tim that is ridiculas. Thanks Deatrah Canciobello

Sf
  20th of Feb, 2009

got me too.. how can this be legal???

they're going down.

Sf
  20th of Feb, 2009

and oh ya it took me 2 hours on the phone to TRY and get a full refund.

Bi
  27th of Jul, 2009

First it was free- then $4.95 - Then they charged my debit $9.90 and still snly got old information! Immediately charged my account and just try and cancel service -- ha ha !

Bi
  27th of Jul, 2009

Unauthorized charging to my credit card. Never signed any agreement. When you try to cancel all you get is music and please wait for next representative. Was on line for over half hour no response. Instructed credit card company not to pay this charge or any future charges.

2nd of Sep, 2009

I went to the intelius web site to look up a cell phone number, it was called reverse phone look up. I had saw someone else us this service to look up a cell number. I used my credit card and was charged 5.99. However, I never got the phone number that I paid for. So I let it go, what's 5.99. But every month since that happened they have debited my account for $19.95. I am contacting my bank and the better business bureau to try to put a stp to this theft. So far they owe me over 45 dollars. I plan to recover every penny.

Tr
  10th of Oct, 2009

Around September 08 I went to intelius an on line site to look up an old friend. I had to open an account with them to do a search. While attempting to open an account there was some confusion it was not clear what to do. It was tricky and before I knew what had happened I had been tricked into an agreement of some kind of service where they watch my accounts. I do not and did not want this service and I bet that many people have made the same mistake that I made. Be careful if you do any business with these people.

My bank account has been charged. $19.95 A month since sept, 08 and I just found out today March 26 09.