H&R Tax Cut / defective software

1 IA, United States Review updated:

The Iowa Download form if you choose Federa Married Filing Seperately, and itemize your deductions, the return will be in error - in my case it told me to pay $1000 more for each of my return and my spouses return...

They insist their software is not defective as it contains a hidden workaround - (only if you know enough to ask... and spend hours on the phone)

Sv

Comments

• Ti
      15th of Mar, 2009

They also make it very difficult to use the free efile feature. You need to find a code they supposedly send you via email. I could not find it after wasting an hour searching. I've been using TaxCut since 2005. Between the $50 for the Fed return, $30 for the New York form and 1 hour wasted looking for the code for the "free" efile, I will just go to a local accountant next year. It will be worth the $150. I wound up having to print out and mail.

Also I am growing concerned that answering any question wrong can wind up in owing more taxes. And the explanations for alot of the questions are no more clear than on the Fed forms.

The way they try to nickel and dime their customers really has crossed the line. Never again. Another case of greed ruining what could have been a good product.

24th of Mar, 2009

I could not efile for my new york state return because I had my new baby last year and number of exemption changed. system could not detect any errors when you run error checks. After you sent data to IRS they gave you errors and now HR Block is saying I need to file manually. How awful that software is. I will never use HR Tax Cut Software again. May be I should join the group to sue HR block. There was a horrifble experience with their customer service.