H&R Block / fees for filing when stated it was free

Mooresville, NC, United States Review updated:

On h&r blocks front page it states plainly that if your agi was 64, 000 or less and can answer yes to one of these questions, then you can start your free file return. Are you between the ages of 17-50? Or
Were you active duty military? Or
Do you qualify for the earned income tax credit (Eitc)?

My agi was much less than $64, 000 and I qualified for the earned income tax credit.

However once I finished my taxes and was ready to e-file them, the on-line program stated that I had to pay $29.99 for federal and an additional $36.99 for the state.

I proceeded to use the chat help on the side bar. The guy told me that you had to meet the age qualification for free filing. I told him this is not what it says on-line and asked him how to delete my account. His reply is that I can not delete my account, all I could do was erase all the information. This is also a false statement. I did find a place in settings to delete the account.

H&R Block

• Updated by Jhulett, Jan 25, 2017

@Wine is good, this is true, it is just that the wording is very misleading. Of course that is what they are hoping, that you think it is free and just pay the money to not have to go through the hassle of typing in all of you information again. However I deleted the account, and do not like the shady or sly practices. I went to OLT.com and prepared and filed my returns for free. Just as they state on their site and on the Free File Alliance Page.

Jh
Jan 25, 2017

Comments

• Wi
      25th of Jan, 2017

It does not say they guarantee you will qualify. You can START the free return. Depending on how you answer the questions on the return determines if you pay.

• My
      25th of Feb, 2017

Try Turbo-Tax and complete the return yourself. It's FREE and pretty easy to follow. The program walks you through the tax return online at a time.